The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is magsorc getting so much hate in pvp right now?

• AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's stopping someone who uses cloak. Just resetting a fight ? Especially in a duel ? I'm getting low or stamina ? I'm low HP ? Cloak away. Recover and start again. If only other classes could just reset the fight
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdamLAD wrote: »
    What's stopping someone who uses cloak. Just resetting a fight ? Especially in a duel ?
    For the most part it is the enemy mistake, if they let the NB to cloak & reset fight. If you are not using anything (even something basic like direct damage aoe) and don't react to what your enemy is doing & you let them cloak & go away, then um... technically it is your fault that they exploited.

It is kinda like getting mad about sorc streaking away, but you don't have any gap closer & speed buff slotted... you can only blame yourself for making a mistake that was exploited by the enemy.
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm speechless. I can't believe it. The answer! It's my fault that they press cloak and run away. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 27, 2023 5:27PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm speechless. I can't believe it. The answer! It's my fault that they press cloak and run away. [snip]
    He's right, though. If you want to actively pursue a nightblade, you have to put the effort in and, yes, if you don't know how or what that means, then you do have something to learn. That's the beauty of an open world RPG. One of the reasons to play nightblade, or a hard to kill brawler tank for that matter, is that you are not beholden to anyone's else's idea of how to fight honorably. Open world is not duelling. You can roleplay with sportsmanship or you can choose not to. If nightblades could kill everyone, this would be a problem. In my experience, and contrary to what people have said in this thread, they can't.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 27, 2023 5:28PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    He's right, though. If you want to actively pursue a nightblade, you have to put the effort in and, yes, if you don't know how or what that means, then you do have something to learn. That's the beauty of an open world RPG. One of the reasons to play nightblade, or a hard to kill brawler tank for that matter, is that you are not beholden to anyone's else's idea of how to fight honorably. Open world is not duelling. You can roleplay with sportsmanship or you can choose not to. If nightblades could kill everyone, this would be a problem. In my experience, and contrary to what people have said in this thread, they can't.

You said it yourself. Open world is not dueling.

When I m fighting 5-6 players by myself you expect me to spam streak just to get a kill on nb ?

I would have a one true counter to cloak if streak did not stack.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 27, 2023 5:29PM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's stopping someone who uses cloak. Just resetting a fight ? Especially in a duel ?
    For the most part it is the enemy mistake, if they let the NB to cloak & reset fight. If you are not using anything (even something basic like direct damage aoe) and don't react to what your enemy is doing & you let them cloak & go away, then um... technically it is your fault that they exploited.

It is kinda like getting mad about sorc streaking away, but you don't have any gap closer & speed buff slotted... you can only blame yourself for making a mistake that was exploited by the enemy.

Nope, it’s the nb fault. The game is stacked in favor of nb from every single angle. Double damage poisons are the last gimmick left out by ZOS.

Streak stacks and you can easily catch up without a gap closer

NB resetting a fight is as simple as pressing 2 buttons and sprinting a bit in the worst possible situations. It’s not even remotely hard
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on January 25, 2023 5:08PM
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lesser mortals like us do not play god mode classes like nb so let’s not question their skill level or intelligence

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 27, 2023 5:30PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

When I m fighting 5-6 players by myself you expect me to spam streak just to get a kill on nb ?

If you manage to fight 5-6 players by yourself, then you have nothing to complain about, whatever class you are on.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 27, 2023 5:33PM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc is probably least equipped to fight gankers. So any defence of NB in comparison with magsorc has to fail. I don't like gankers as every other, but I wouldn't touch cloak.

What I would like to see is less clumsy detection skills. They don't work as tooltip promises for example. I see detected gankers to go immediately invisible again too often.

Better detection skills would be still nerff for NB and other gankers invisibility, but it would help only to players, who are willing to implement some counterplay. Who don't want to adapt, shouldn't ask for any change.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you manage to fight 5-6 players by yourself, then you have nothing to complain about, whatever class you are on.

I complain about it only on mag sorc.

Nb does more than fine and has no problems taking on more

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 27, 2023 5:31PM
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AdamLAD

As a MagSorc main I think you're leaving out the utility of an AoE instant cast stun that Streak offers. Obviously this can't be considered when evaluating 1v1 situations, but I can't count how many times I've saved individuals or my group by AoE stunning another group that was focusing a friend. Just a thought when comparing cloak vs streak.

That being said, like you said streak offers an awkward offensive hard CC, that's very hard to follow up with damage after the streak stun. If the other player is adequate they have the ability to negate any damage following that stun by breaking free and rolling before you have the opportunity to finish streaks gcd and perform an attack that lands due to minimum travel time.

That being said..... Can we add Minor Mangle to curse as a Sorc buff!?! Feel like it fits the ability, helps Sorcs mitigate the high health meta that renders burst classes useless, and helps combat high health in general. Win, win, win.

Edit:

@AdamLAD
    So I peaked your listed build on this thread with swiftness. I feel like it would lack so much damage, but maybe sustained damage due to tankiness makes up for it?

I run the standard Max Magicka setup, with crafty alfiq, Grace of the ancients, one piece swarm mother, 2 PC trainee, with torc of tonal for sustain, mage mundus, and all damage enchants (well one stamina recovery), roughly 54k Magicka with fair spell damage, and I get major breach from psjiic imbue weapons, and I STILL feel like I'm lacking damage, so I'm just curious how with that setup if you're even able to take down tankier players solo. I also okay with overload cuz I love the cheese. Nothing like getting a curse, imbue weapons, OL light attack, frag, and streak to all hit at once (even though honestly I feel like it underperforms for the effort it takes).

Edited by Jsmalls on January 25, 2023 5:56PM
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elendir2am wrote: »
    Magsorc is probably least equipped to fight gankers. So any defence of NB in comparison with magsorc has to fail. I don't like gankers as every other, but I wouldn't touch cloak.

What I would like to see is less clumsy detection skills. They don't work as tooltip promises for example. I see detected gankers to go immediately invisible again too often.

Better detection skills would be still nerff for NB and other gankers invisibility, but it would help only to players, who are willing to implement some counterplay. Who don't want to adapt, shouldn't ask for any change.

The sorcerer has a skill that provides a countermeasure against gankers. Applies to self for a minute and when you deal damage to the sorcerer you get a stun. You can also wear a set of battle cry . You also have a streak that allows you to catch up and impose a stun and remove the NB from invisibility or run away. You have another curse... Try to kill the nb on the necromancer. After that, you will stop whining about the sorcerer who is unable to remove the NB from invisibility. Nb is much easier to kill as their survivability is much worse than warden or DK or Templar. So I don't see the point of your whining about the NB. Yes, nb is strong, but you are comparing a specific aspect of the class as an mana sorcerer when as a hybrid sorcerer is very strong.

Of course, I understand that everything is known in comparison, but I have such a feeling that the NB punished you too much that you forgot about strong DCs or Vardens or immortal templars with their death ray. Nb has two skills with which he wins. If you dodge them then you will survive. And the sorcerer has the most countermeasures against the NB. But you generally forget about them. It is much easier to kill NB playing as a sorcerer than than as a templar or a necromancer. Or other classes..
    Edited by Melzo on January 25, 2023 5:54PM
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree the AOE stun is fantastic for saving people. But pales in comparison to the value cloak provides. I'm much rather them get rid of the stun and give us buffs in other areas. Sorc is not unplayable but its definitely massively weak in comparison to everything else.
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree the AOE stun is fantastic for saving people. But pales in comparison to the value cloak provides. I'm much rather them get rid of the stun and give us buffs in other areas. Sorc is not unplayable but its definitely massively weak in comparison to everything else.

The stun is too strong. Stuns even if the enemy dodges or blocks. You are talking nonsense. In addition, he brings the NB out of invisibility. Streak is the best skill in the game. What do you want to change?? Drop your class? I'm shocked by your suggestions...
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jsmalls wrote: »
    @AdamLAD

As a MagSorc main I think you're leaving out the utility of an AoE instant cast stun that Streak offers. Obviously this can't be considered when evaluating 1v1 situations, but I can't count how many times I've saved individuals or my group by AoE stunning another group that was focusing a friend. Just a thought when comparing cloak vs streak.

That being said, like you said streak offers an awkward offensive hard CC, that's very hard to follow up with damage after the streak stun. If the other player is adequate they have the ability to negate any damage following that stun by breaking free and rolling before you have the opportunity to finish streaks gcd and perform an attack that lands due to minimum travel time.

That being said..... Can we add Minor Mangle to curse as a Sorc buff!?! Feel like it fits the ability, helps Sorcs mitigate the high health meta that renders burst classes useless, and helps combat high health in general. Win, win, win.

Edit:

@AdamLAD
    So I peaked your listed build on this thread with swiftness. I feel like it would lack so much damage, but maybe sustained damage due to tankiness makes up for it?

I run the standard Max Magicka setup, with crafty alfiq, Grace of the ancients, one piece swarm mother, 2 PC trainee, with torc of tonal for sustain, mage mundus, and all damage enchants (well one stamina recovery), roughly 54k Magicka with fair spell damage, and I get major breach from psjiic imbue weapons, and I STILL feel like I'm lacking damage, so I'm just curious how with that setup if you're even able to take down tankier players solo. I also okay with overload cuz I love the cheese. Nothing like getting a curse, imbue weapons, OL light attack, frag, and streak to all hit at once (even though honestly I feel like it underperforms for the effort it takes).

I can take the same sets that they said only for the necromancer and take a mana shield from the light armor branch. My damage will be lower and the shield will protect less. It looks like my problem is even worse than yours? If you're playing on a five-year-old meta, that's your problem. And yes, I could easily play these sets 5-6 years ago. And I would also have adequate damage. Now I just can't use the destro staff. But you can at least create a hybrid sorcerer and you won't have problems with healing and damage.
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Melzo wrote: »
    Elendir2am wrote: »

The sorcerer has a skill that provides a countermeasure against gankers. Applies to self for a minute and when you deal damage to the sorcerer you get a stun. You can also wear a set of battle cry . You also have a streak that allows you to catch up and impose a stun and remove the NB from invisibility or run away. You have another curse... Try to kill the nb on the necromancer. After that, you will stop whining about the sorcerer who is unable to remove the NB from invisibility. Nb is much easier to kill as their survivability is much worse than warden or DK or Templar. So I don't see the point of your whining about the NB. Yes, nb is strong, but you are comparing a specific aspect of the class as an mana sorcerer when as a hybrid sorcerer is very strong.

Of course, I understand that everything is known in comparison, but I have such a feeling that the NB punished you too much that you forgot about strong DCs or Vardens or immortal templars with their death ray. Nb has two skills with which he wins. If you dodge them then you will survive. And the sorcerer has the most countermeasures against the NB. But you generally forget about them. It is much easier to kill NB playing as a sorcerer than than as a templar or a necromancer. Or other classes..

Your post doesn't refer to my at all and, by the way. I play in PvP as DK (best gank hunters with warden) now and I am quite successful in punishing gankers. But they need to be cocky and attack repeatedly in my presence. I wish to have chance punish them after first attempt already.

I also wish, detection skills to work as tooltip promise. By the way, all you wrote, ignore fact, that NB is invisible. They move fast and hardly keep one direction. So if I want to hit them with flare, I need to predict what direction they took in what moment. The same you would have to do with streak.
    Edited by Elendir2am on January 25, 2023 6:10PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, since crystal frags has a cast time by default, it should either hit harder or stun. I also think dark exchange (both morphs) should not have a cast time.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on January 25, 2023 8:02PM
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Melzo

Yeah it's definitely an old meta what can I say old habits die hard haha.

But numbers are numbers at the end of the day. My tool tips for abilities aren't low. And I've added major breach to my setup with Imbue weapons due to the hybridization changes made. Major breach itself is more than a 5 PC set bonus worth of damage. I mean I'm ALL in on damage haha. I've put together Max spell damage builds the tooltips are comparable, but obviously don't offer the defense that Max Magicka offers.

Which also leads me to another point. I am currently successfully using hardened ward as my main defense, even in this meta.

I had to change it up a bit where I replaced my second ward with bound aegis for the minor protection, but using crit surge, dark deal, boundless storm, Dodge rolling and streaking I'm not easy to kill....

Now I say that in the means of skilled counterplay. I'm physically easy to kill, if I make a mistake. I don't have 35k health and super high mitigation to hold my hand and keep me alive.

But I've been playing MagSorc on and off for 7 years....
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The stun is too strong. Stuns even if the enemy dodges or blocks. You are talking nonsense. In addition, he brings the NB out of invisibility. Streak is the best skill in the game. What do you want to change?? Drop your class? I'm shocked by your suggestions...

I would rather have the damage and stun removed and buffing the skill by having no stacking cost.

Stun should be on frag like before
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on January 25, 2023 7:33PM
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather have the damage and stun removed and buffing the skill by having no stacking cost.

I mean this would just make sorc infinitely worse, wouldn't it? Frag is what gets dodge rolled. Putting stun on frag wouldn't help... Frag is what needs help landing.

Removing the stun on streak as a way to remove the stacking cost just means we're going to have sorcs streaking across cyrodiil again. Oh yay, now they don't die as easy, but they're even more useless.

Sorc has an excellent delayed damage skill (curse,) that they can land on anyone. They also have a delayed execute that's a little harder to land. And they have either crystal weapon and/or overload that they can attach to light attacks AND press a skill in the same GCD. ALL of this functions terrific with streak. There is no reason to lament "aw when I turn around to see who I stunned and fire a frag they already broke free," because streak should be the last thing you do not the first or second.

You take the stun off streak and put it on frag you just killed what little actually works in sorcs kit. All for what? To be able to run away indefinitely again?
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ZOS was on the right path removing stuns from Frags, Dizzy, etc. But they went crazy tacking a hard CC on everything. Totally making those changes to Frags incoherent and malicious.

My opinion is that the ONLY way to stun a player should be tied to a heavy attack on an off balance target. That is it. Remove it from everything else. Removing another player's control of his toon should be really difficult.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »

I mean this would just make sorc infinitely worse, wouldn't it? Frag is what gets dodge rolled. Putting stun on frag wouldn't help... Frag is what needs help landing.

Removing the stun on streak as a way to remove the stacking cost just means we're going to have sorcs streaking across cyrodiil again. Oh yay, now they don't die as easy, but they're even more useless.

Sorc has an excellent delayed damage skill (curse,) that they can land on anyone. They also have a delayed execute that's a little harder to land. And they have either crystal weapon and/or overload that they can attach to light attacks AND press a skill in the same GCD. ALL of this functions terrific with streak. There is no reason to lament "aw when I turn around to see who I stunned and fire a frag they already broke free," because streak should be the last thing you do not the first or second.

You take the stun off streak and put it on frag you just killed what little actually works in sorcs kit. All for what? To be able to run away indefinitely again?

A top tier mag sorc will always say giving up your ranged advantage is not worth using streak as a stun. I run streak as a stun because of no other option. Just like I run dark conversion because sorc has absolutely garbage sustain.

Mag sorc runs a lot of mag regen just for streak. You can run a lot of spell damage and drop dark conversion if you remove streak stacking cost. Slot something useful instead.

Taking off ramping cost on streak even without changing shields will make the class decent again
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on January 25, 2023 10:52PM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagSorcs found dead all over Tamriel after the Arcanist announcement
    Edited by Seraphayel on January 25, 2023 10:49PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

ZOS was on the right path removing stuns from Frags, Dizzy, etc. But they went crazy tacking a hard CC on everything. Totally making those changes to Frags incoherent and malicious.

My opinion is that the ONLY way to stun a player should be tied to a heavy attack on an off balance target. That is it. Remove it from everything else. Removing another player's control of his toon should be really difficult.

Yeah I was ok when rune cage was a good stun without the damage. Had a really nice dual wield sorc back then.

But now rune cage is bad and frag does not have a stun. Some options for cc is really lacking on sorc
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

Well, there might be some truth to it. But I rather think that the current state of the class um... a "preparation" for the new Class, so that it would not seem as they are nerfing base game class in the same update the new shiny one is introduced.

It happened every time we had a new class. Always, the most similar base game class was getting gutted. When Warden was introduced, Tamplar got nerfed to the ground. Same Happend with Nightblade when Necromancer was introduced. So I would not be surprised if Sorcerer does not receive any love it deserves in the next update, just so ZOS could sell new class.

That is one of the reason I kinda dislike whenever there is new class introduced. Something else "base game" gets pointlessly nerfed.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PhoenixGrey well I'm not a top tier magsorc so I'll take your word on that. But it seems to me another complaint is that the entire attack is easy to avoid. I don't see how removing a stun from something that can't be dodged or blocked and putting it on THE thing that manages to land least is helpful.

Sorcs have access to some nice combos with streak. Some good bursty all-happen-at-once combos. In an outnumbered situation it may not be wise to streak into the crowd to secure just 1 kill but streaking OUT of that same crowd is incredibly useful.

This change would destroy sorc, and I'll bet every fake internet dollar this non-sorc-main has on it. If nothing else changed... But they did THIS... Sorcs would be 2x as bad as they are now. They'd just be mobile potato farmers. They can already do that.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If they're going to rework the offensive part of the kit, I'd rather they did the following
    make frags travel faster (or at least the proc is undodgeable)
    remove the stun from streak and change it to a snare or immobilise instead and significantly lower or remove the ramping cost
    make rune cage into the class's stun by making it a 1 second delay max that can't be blocked, that way you can line up a burst combo similar to how DK or nb can currently
    make mages wrath more reliable (cannot be dodged or cleansed and increase the threshold to 25 or 30%)

What really needs fixing though is the healing, make dark deal/conversion into an instant cast scaling burst heal where the sustain is the secondary effect and improve the classes sustain through other ways in the class kit (upgrade the outdated passives), then make crit surge into a passive HoT that doesn't require dealing damage (provides brut/sorc for 30 seconds and a passive HoT for 10 seconds).
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

Well, there might be some truth to it. But I rather think that the current state of the class um... a "preparation" for the new Class, so that it would not seem as they are nerfing base game class in the same update the new shiny one is introduced.

It happened every time we had a new class. Always, the most similar base game class was getting gutted. When Warden was introduced, Tamplar got nerfed to the ground. Same Happend with Nightblade when Necromancer was introduced. So I would not be surprised if Sorcerer does not receive any love it deserves in the next update, just so ZOS could sell new class.

That is one of the reason I kinda dislike whenever there is new class introduced. Something else "base game" gets pointlessly nerfed.

This is what I'm afraid of. They also have a history of bias against sorcerer due to the entire staff playing NB (or just none playing sorc) so as much as it pains me to say this, I could see them just flat out never buffing the class again once artificer is out, especially with all the undeserved hate the class gets from the forums here.
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    @PhoenixGrey well I'm not a top tier magsorc so I'll take your word on that. But it seems to me another complaint is that the entire attack is easy to avoid. I don't see how removing a stun from something that can't be dodged or blocked and putting it on THE thing that manages to land least is helpful.

Sorcs have access to some nice combos with streak. Some good bursty all-happen-at-once combos. In an outnumbered situation it may not be wise to streak into the crowd to secure just 1 kill but streaking OUT of that same crowd is incredibly useful.

This change would destroy sorc, and I'll bet every fake internet dollar this non-sorc-main has on it. If nothing else changed... But they did THIS... Sorcs would be 2x as bad as they are now. They'd just be mobile potato farmers. They can already do that.

NB combo is super easy to avoid in duel but its the best PVP class I have ever played since eso beta. Why ? Because the combo still lands on 99% of the PVP population and its super hard combo to avoid while outnumbered. These days even landing a spectral bow is good enough. Its the 1% top tier players who figure out the combo or listen to audio cues. Sorc is bottom tier even against potatoes with decent builds

TBH i started using streak only when they nerfed BOL.
    When steak has no ramping, curse will hit atleast 15% harder and healing will be buffed by 15% due to stacking spell damage. So a frag stun or a slightly buffed rune cage stun will be enough
    Edited by PhoenixGrey on January 26, 2023 2:26AM
  • Aces-High-82
    Aces-High-82
    ✭✭✭
    Major Breach on curse and buffing Twilight hp to 50k would solve quite a bit of magsorcs lacking areas.

To make shields viable again it would take a crap ton changes to them and honestly they still cost valuable gcds.