Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

ESO New Class 2023?

Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Do you think we'll be lucky enough to see a new class in 2023?
It's been a while since we received a new one (even longer since we've had a weapon set too) and I think perhaps a new one would be well received.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, dont wanna speculate, but heres hoping.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised either way. I have a sneaky feeling we might get one but am open to being wrong.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want a new class nor a new race. Just don't see how it would add anything to the game except different visuals.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    I don't want a new class nor a new race. Just don't see how it would add anything to the game except different visuals.

Agreed.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Skill Lines benefit everyone.

New Classes don’t.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None hopefully. Don't need a class that is the same as others but just comes in a different colour scheme.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s a long shot until server performance improves.

Even though we can only okay one character at a time, the total number of characters available impact server performance. This is why we have not seen Zenimax add more character slots in recent years.

Even inactive accounts impacted server performance which is why Zenimax has mothballed them.

• RedBranch
    RedBranch
    ✭✭✭
    I only want a new class if we get a class change token.
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 3 chapters with lackluster features i hope the next would be big combat related one. Personally, I can’t imagine something other than new class to invigorate my interest for all types of content and incentivize to play as much as i used to. I know for a fact that I would be bored pretty quick out of just new OP sets with new visuals or one measly skill line, because as far as combat goes they barely change anything. But i’m not overly optimistic on that possibility.
    Edited by tonyblack on January 16, 2023 4:06AM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see any new classes when the current set fills every archetype: Dragon Knight is a Warrior, Templar is a Cleric, Nightblade is the Rogue/Thief, and Sorcerer/Necromancer/Warden are various Mages and Conjurers. Unarmed/Fist/Claws as a new weapon skill line is far more compelling than "Monk" if you want to add hand to hand combat. While I do want a new class just to have an excuse for 3 more character slots, the only thing I can think they can do with any meaningful impact is making a class that represents the original aspects of the series, the classic "Adventurer" that has the basics of Warrior, Thief, and Mage all rolled into one.
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't see any new classes when the current set fills every archetype: Dragon Knight is a Warrior, Templar is a Cleric, Nightblade is the Rogue/Thief, and Sorcerer/Necromancer/Warden are various Mages and Conjurers. Unarmed/Fist/Claws as a new weapon skill line is far more compelling than "Monk" if you want to add hand to hand combat. While I do want a new class just to have an excuse for 3 more character slots, the only thing I can think they can do with any meaningful impact is making a class that represents the original aspects of the series, the classic "Adventurer" that has the basics of Warrior, Thief, and Mage all rolled into one.

That's pretty narrow thinking though...what about all the lines of magic that aren't being utilized. A class based around illusion and alteration could be pretty great. There's a lot of things they could do really...
    I think a new class would add more depth to the game. It feels like things are stalling out and going a bit stale. I'd welcome the shake-up!
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    id honestly feel better if they expanded on the current classes through something like spell crafting other than adding a new class...

that way we can survive awhile before they add new classes.. (if)
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭

That's pretty narrow thinking though...what about all the lines of magic that aren't being utilized. A class based around illusion and alteration could be pretty great. There's a lot of things they could do really...
    I think a new class would add more depth to the game. It feels like things are stalling out and going a bit stale. I'd welcome the shake-up!

i would definitely say that nightblade is a fine illusionist and alteration magic is something we get through most armor buffs in the game... ill agree that what we have feels a bit old and like there really isnt too much variety in playstyle for many if not all the classes.... like say if dk got ice new ice morphs for its skills changing the way dk looks and the way it plays or if templar got yellow lightning (thunder) morphs for some of its light based skills it would add more for templar mage dps..
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭

For me personally a new class won't shake up anything. Every remaining school of magic could be a skill line, and a lot of weapon can be added as a skill line. Spellcrafting would be very welcome as well instead of adding just another class,

A class will just be another vessel for more or less the same skills since everything needs to be balanced there's not much new stuff they can do with a new class.

• Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I look at other games there is more diversity in classes and there were lots more choices for classes in previous elder scrolls games.

Another class would attract new players or attract old players back and that has to be the aim of the powers that be. More new players!

A new class may not be aimed at current players but I'd like to try a new class.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new class doesn't add anything to the game. We need something combat-related that's available for every player. I don't see a new class happening this year. What would it even be?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    A new class doesn't add anything to the game. We need something combat-related that's available for every player. I don't see a new class happening this year. What would it even be?

A "Mystic" shaman? A bard? An illusionists, elementalist, or enchanter? I don't think it matters what they create so long as they add interesting aesthetics and a competitive line up of skills and abilities. I loved the Warden rollout (necro isn't for me)--so, I know they could cook something up if they tried.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

A "Mystic" shaman? A bard? An illusionists, elementalist, or enchanter? I don't think it matters what they create so long as they add interesting aesthetics and a competitive line up of skills and abilities. I loved the Warden rollout (necro isn't for me)--so, I know they could cook something up if they tried.

The problem is, we do already have the archetypes in game. There's nothing left that would make sense besides something like a Bard, but I'd rather see that as a skill line available for all players.

Something like a shapeshifter would be cool, but Werewolf already exists. A "Monk" type? I just don't see it. With Warden and Necromancer we had NPCs in game that had no representation as a playable class, but after those two got added there is basically nothing left.

While I can see a new weapon, I have a hard time imagining a fitting new class.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I disagree. We don't have a elementalist and illusion and alteration magic aren't even really in the game at all. A class could easily be built around the 2. The sorc is more of a daedra summoner vs. a classical mage. They are quite different.
    Look at the sorc's lineup: Summoning, dark magic, and storm calling. Either of the 3 other mage choices I listed could be designed to be dramatically different from that.

Edit: It's also worth noting that people would come back to ESO who haven't played for a while too. I don't play Black Desert beyond anything but casually, but everytime they debut a new class I come back, spend some irl cash, and give it a shot for a few months at a time. I think there are a huge number of people like that out there who also own ESO. I think it would bring in a lot of revenue.
    And, as far as weapon line goes--sure! I don't think it should be an either/or--but more of an "also" to consider as well. More skill and weapon lines sounds awesome!
    Edited by Jordan.nick11b14_ESO on January 16, 2023 10:58AM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree. We don't have a elementalist and illusion and alteration magic aren't even really in the game at all. A class could easily be built around the 2. The sorc is more of a daedra summoner vs. a classical mage. They are quite different.
    Look at the sorc's lineup: Summoning, dark magic, and storm calling. Either of the 3 other mage choices I listed could be designed to be dramatically different from that.

Edit: It's also worth noting that people would come back to ESO who haven't played for a while too. I don't play Black Desert beyond anything but casually, but everytime they debut a new class I come back, spend some irl cash, and give it a shot for a few months at a time. I think there are a huge number of people like that out there who also own ESO. I think it would bring in a lot of revenue.
    And, as far as weapon line goes--sure! I don't think it should be an either/or--but more of an "also" to consider as well. More skill and weapon lines sounds awesome!

Destruction Staff is basically covering the Elementalist part. Illusion and Alteration are used to an extent by various classes and skill lines like Nightblade, Restoration Staff, Vampire or Psijik. I don't see how a class built around this could work when most of it is already incorporated in other skill lines. They even struggled to create coherent skill lines for Warden and Necromancer in that regard.

I think a new class is way less of a "let's return to the game" factor than a feature they can experience with their already existing characters. You just have to realize that the last time ZOS added something to the game that benefit all classes was Psijik Order in 2018. All builds since then are basically the same and have been the same for years, because there's just no variation.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would much rather have a new weapon skill line or spellcrafting than a new class. At this point, what does a new class even bring to the game other than a different skin for abilities? ESO doesn’t really dive into the lore of classes. There are no class quests like in Swtor/FFXIV/WoW. The new class will be just like the old ones with a Damage, healing, and tank skill tree. We would all use the exact same weapons as we do on our current characters. It would be a lackluster new main feature in my opinion.
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judging by the last 4 years of content..If we were to get a new class in 2023, Although that'll be great i fear it will come at the expence of any fix for outstanding issues such as the horrendious PVP performance and lack of pvp content.

And looking at how they did the vampire re-work where they just stole a load of in game anamations from other classes the chance of a "new class" actually being unique is slim.

They've already stated that the consoles are a limiting factor for things like animations etc.

A new class would be good sure. BUT. keep in mind the homoginisation where evey class is the same and wares the same gear, will it really be unique and worth it ?

• Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Isn't it about time this topic gets a sticky like the overland difficulty thread...
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really doubt it, ZOS has said in past interviews that console issues/limitations mean certain things can't be done at the moment.

IF they were they have plenty of spells from other Elder Scrolls games that they could incorporate and put into a class and have it feel unique. I also assume that like other old things that spellcrafting might still be somewhere buried in the system files. That system, while dead, used typical TES spells that we've had in past games so they could easily take those and just alter them to fit this new purpose. They could also use them to give us magic users more staves to choose from like an Alteration Staff, Conjuration staff, and an Illusion staff. If you are unfamiliar with past TES spells here is a good place to look:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Magic
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jordan.nick11b14_ESO

Sorcerer = Destruction + Conjuration + Dark Magic?

Templar = Restoration + Conjured Spears? + Whatever Dawn’s Wrath is?

Nightblade = Illusion + Blood Magic? + Conjured Daggers?

Dragonknight = Destruction + Alteration

Warden = Destruction + Alteration + Mysticism

Necromancer = Necromancy

These are not counting the other skill lines we have access to that provide more to these areas, but yeah, every school of magic is represented in one way or another even some new weird ones I put question marks next to, could ESO expand on our spell library, yes. A big resounding yes.

Would we need a new “Class” to do so? No.

New Classes are just a ton of work; not to mention, if they added a new class, who’s to say that the class is even to your tastes?

I still don’t like Warden’s Vvardenfell theme and can’t get into it. Those 18 abilities? I’m never gonna be able to use, all because they are locked into a class I don’t have interest in. I like Bird of Prey and a few of the Ice abilities, but I can’t access them.

Never before ESO have the classes actually restricted you, the player, from parts of your game, with exactly zero reason… every class besides Sorcerer can heal like a Templar, and why is it that to be a Lightning Mage I have to be a Sorcerer, a Fire casting Dragonknight, or a Frost caster stuck on Warden?

Players need more freedom of choice, not more spells locked behind classes.
    Edited by The_Titan_Tim on January 16, 2023 8:32PM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we may be tapped out on new classes in the game.

New, global skill lines, absolutely. Those can be adopted by any character. New classes are prohibitive for adoption by players.