The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is this game so boring?

• vanillexhope
    vanillexhope
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I'm bored. I love questing. The voice acting is amazing and the dialog is well done. There are some really funny/clever lines. I just spend my time questing and finding soul shards. There's so much I have barely touched in this game: dungeons, PVP, guilds, etc.

I doubt I'll get bored any time soon.
  • loco
    loco
    ✭✭
    Boredom is a symptom of a lazy mind.

This.

OP, if this isn't your own unique definition of "open world," and you are honestly too lazy to interact with the environment, well, this isn't the game for you.

It sounds like you want ESO to hold your hand and tell you what to do and when.

No, actually I would prefer the opposite. I would prefer mechanics that didn't hand hold me as the game currently is. I would prefer an open world with better exploration, danger, and excitement. I haven't really experienced any damnnnnn moments.

Quests are so bland and common, with markers instead of directions in the dialogue, mostly meaningless. It seems to me they could have changed up standard MMO post wow linearness of the progression. Mostly I'm just disappointed.

To the one guy asking me if I researched the game at all, no I was deployed and preordered based on the name, but thanks for calling me an idiot internet hero.

I don't really understand the hostility with my post, I'm not talking smack about any of you. If you enjoy the game, great, I was stating how shocked I am with the final product. I'm confused why they went this route that's been done before instead of bringing more TES mechanics.

I just got level 31 and I'm done for the day, I'm not really having fun and don't plan on subbing. Mostly just chugging along to get my money's worth.

Again, not hating on anyone who's enjoying it.
  • Hule
    Hule
    Glog wrote: »
    Coming from GW2 there is...
    I dont know, for me its more natural that there is only one ore node and who gets to it first wins. Its not like there is one gold mine in the world and everyone can mine same ammount of gold, right?
    I think those "casual" mmos just spoiled gamers. I had more fun in WoW Vanila open pvp zones than in closed ones. Because of the feeling of danger, the feeling I need to watch carefully my surroundings. But in GW2 you can see 50+ players mining Rich Iron ore. Thats crap. First come first serve.
  • Hule
    Hule
    loco wrote: »
    I just got level 31 and I'm done for the day...
    Like really? Second day the game is out and you have level 31? Now I know why you dont enjoy the game.
    Its fun for me to watch all those people with horses, i got one too, but everytime I mount my horse I find some gatherable, so I go to it. Then I stopped using horse at all because it was to slow to mount and dismount.
    Try to look around, check what the game is offering. Look at craft, gatherable, go to explore every map. Just dont rush to level 50.
  • loco
    loco
    ✭✭
    Hule wrote: »
    Like really? Second day the game is out and you have level 31? Now I know why you dont enjoy the game.
    Its fun for me to watch all those people with horses, i got one too, but everytime I mount my horse I find some gatherable, so I go to it. Then I stopped using horse at all because it was to slow to mount and dismount.
    Try to look around, check what the game is offering. Look at craft, gatherable, go to explore every map. Just dont rush to level 50.
    I'm not rushing to 50, I'm just doing quests, and running dungeons (which is almost fun, if it weren't for a *** LFG tool). I don't do crafting, I've never found it overly enjoyable. It's very simple, and that's the problem I'm having with the game, it feels shallow to me.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    driosketch wrote: »
    This is actually incorrect. TES has always had classes, Skyrim was a huge exception. Further more, those classes came with special traits or spells. The only difference is while with Oblivion it was only a couple things, in ESO it's three whole skill lines. Everything else, gear choices, functions as it traditionally happens in an Elder Scrolls game.

I don't recall classes giving you any special abilities or anything, they were simply a collection of skills whose advancement indicated when your overall character level increased. IIRC you were always free to pick your own set of core skills that would define your own class though.
    You know what, you're right. I'm thinking of Birth Signs in Oblivion. It's been a while. I don't remember how Morrowind did it. I do remember some weirds things going on in Daggerfall's classes like a sorcerer not being able to regenerate magic on their own.
    Classes in Morrowind worked just like in Oblivion except that you had another level of skills and more skills in Morrowind.
    Daggerfall had weaknesses and strength to classes, including unable to use weapon and material types. Downside was that this system could be exploited a lot in a custom class

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry to hear the game is boring to you, it isn't for me. Saying "why is this game so boring" is a logical fallacy because its like you are saying "why is my opinion what it is?" we can not answer this for you. If the question was "why aren't the quest bugs fixed yet" that would be logical and a good question. Thats the only issue I have with the game.
    Edited by Laura on April 1, 2014 10:36AM
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a bad faith comment; his user name leads to a message;

"Only 3 months before FTP, enjoy it while you can."

Troll. Ignore him. I find it pathetic to see people who go on message boards and trash things that other people enjoy. If you're level 31 already then you're not bothering to read quest text and are just clicking through things, or you're grinding exploit group quests. Those of us who are enjoying the game are treating it like we treat any other ES game - listen to the voice overs, read the text, explore around. There are a ton of Easter eggs if you bother to find them.

And, yes, you are hating on what people are doing; you're telling them that something that they enjoy is boring. Try that face-to-face and see how people react.
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hule wrote: »

Yup - a player who has rushed 31 levels in one day, therefore clearly not bothering to read a single line of quest text, is complaining that the quests are boring. The OP falls into the category of people whose game design preferences don't match mine.

• Twistedmind
    Twistedmind
    ✭✭
    I'm finding no desire to log in, just boredom.

Door is that way.. shush we are enjoying the game.
    Egypt and Antarctica kills off more investigators each year than cancer does.
    Old Call of Cthulhu fact.
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not rushing to 50, I'm just doing quests, and running dungeons (which is almost fun, if it weren't for a *** LFG tool). I don't do crafting, I've never found it overly enjoyable. It's very simple, and that's the problem I'm having with the game, it feels shallow to me.

Friend, if you're lvl 31 in under two days, you're rushing. I'm playing since zero hour and I'm only level 8. Probably because I stop so much to smell the flowers. :wink:

ESO is way more open world than most MMO's out there and there's plenty to do beside running quests.
    Read books. Explore. Hunt game for coin. Fish. Do pushups in the morning and a brisk lap or two around the town before setting out. Cook stuff and eat/drink so you don't "starve". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Walk around instead of running, at least in towns. The art in this game is excellent and you just can't see it properly when you're sprinting around. Immerse yourself in the world and it becomes way more interesting and deep.

You can catch butterflies. And use them for bait.

But the thing is, you have to do it, no game can do that for you. If you just run around doing content, it inevitably becomes repetitive and shallow. No game in the world can prevent that from happening.
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Coming from GW2 there is definitely a feeling of "old and slow" with ESO. Old as in mmorpg gaming method that was used in 01-04, such as poorly designed quest rewards, few to none quest instances, having to camp for quest spawn, mobs that dont scale with players (aka 10+ players on anchors/world bosses/public dungeon bosses is like fighting level 1 crabs). And my least favorite - resource nodes that will get snupped right infront of you as you deal with the mob that was guarding it (take a page from GW2, personalize resource nodes).

That said im not giving up on ESO, i still enjoy to an extend. I just feel quite exhausted after just 2-3 hours of it, to a point where i need to take a break for awhile before jumping back in again. Strange thing.
    Perhaps if we try to play ESO in ESO instead of trying to play GW2 in ESO we will find a better result?

Behold the great Oak. Just a little nut who stood his ground.
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying the game, I won't get into a discussion of whether or not I think it warrants any subscription fee, however I think it definitely has the TES vibe that many players are looking for. They've got a lot of work to do if they want to hold any sort of customer base aside from ravening TES Fans and Fanboys, but the game is fun.

My major qualm at the moment is the amount of progress blocking bugs, and bugs that don't allow you to login or zone. And don't say "It just launched" because while this is true, they've had 48 hours to track down some of these critical issues and hotfix them. A lot of the quest bugs that are blocking progress are simply spawn issues that can be fixed by modifying values or writing a couple lines of code to ensure the spawns that are supposed to happen do happen.

The big thing I want changed is the stuff that breaks immersion. There needs to be heavier instancing on quests, and dungeons, because as it stands now this is a single player game that you can play with other people, i.e. Skyrim with a working multiplayer mod. I want to see that changed or I won't stick around long.
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    The big thing I want changed is the stuff that breaks immersion. There needs to be heavier instancing on quests, and dungeons, because as it stands now this is a single player game that you can play with other people, i.e. Skyrim with a working multiplayer mod. I want to see that changed or I won't stick around long.

Not sure about your reasoning here, instancing separates players. If you want a more single player experience, more instancing would be the way to go.

Increasing mob difficulty in dungeons might be a better direction, as then you'd actually be happy to see other players in there. As it stands, mobs are quite easy - maybe it gets harder later on, I'm just doing low level stuff.
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Boredom is a symptom of a lazy mind.

How so? It seems to me . . . . oh I can't be bothered, I'm bored now!
    Because the bored mind is not creative. The bored mind isn't solving puzzles. You are not at the movies where your entertainment is scripted out for you while you passively absorb the experience. You are responsible for your condition. You are not a victim of the game. If you are bored you should be more productive with your time because otherwise you are a waste and a burden. Do your part in life, whether in the game or in meatspace.

• Glog
    Glog
    ✭✭
    *snip*
    Perhaps if we try to play ESO in ESO instead of trying to play GW2 in ESO we will find a better result?

Yeah that isnt exactly what i was saying. You get B+ for baiting effort tho.
  • Jaamonliu
    Jaamonliu
    You have invest time into the game with gathering, crafting, black smiting, dungeons, pvp and other aspects of the game. I slept early when the imperial version came out and logged on right on the dot where I was so confused where to go and what to do. Once you get the hang of the game, everything will come to you. New games are always hard to start with, but after a while, its all in the fun! I am currently at work right now which is really slow and I really can not wait to get off work and head home to play!!
    It’s Not the Blowing of the Wind that Determines Your Destination, It’s the Set of the Sail - Jim Rohn
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    *snip*

Yeah that isnt exactly what i was saying. You get B+ for baiting effort tho.
    Good: I hadn't intended to be your echo. But I wasn't baiting I was making a point.

Players often get used to playing a game and get good at it playing it that way. Then they tire of that othr game and start playing a new one. So they try and use the very same play methodology they used in that other game overlaid onto the new game and wonder why it doesn't work as well as it did in the old game they tired of.

Well this isn't GW2. Adapt to your new game. It will never be a better GW2 than GW2 was. It can only be a better ESO.

• Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played 275 hours in the beta, then took yesterday off from work to play Sunday and Monday for early access.

Yet I am still having a hard time staying at work today because I want to play more.

• silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    There is a much nastier way to say why a player is bored, btw.
  • Hielic
    Hielic
    I Love ESO ..... it is what i expected it to be so far ..
    Edited by Hielic on April 1, 2014 2:31PM
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    Gaudrath wrote: »

Not sure about your reasoning here, instancing separates players. If you want a more single player experience, more instancing would be the way to go.

Increasing mob difficulty in dungeons might be a better direction, as then you'd actually be happy to see other players in there. As it stands, mobs are quite easy - maybe it gets harder later on, I'm just doing low level stuff.

I can see mob difficulty helping a bit, but the reason I'd like more semi-private areas is to encourage small group dynamics. As it stands now, there's like 10-20 people on some of these mobs in the "cave" quest areas, et cetera. That's why I'd like to see more instancing so you can enjoy gameplay with the people you want to play with. I'm not saying everywhere should be instanced, I just think they should design some quests with small groups in mind. I know not many people play it but games like Lord of the Rings Online do a pretty good job of developing content designed for say 3-6 players. Even some quest areas that are duoable that you and a friend can enjoy together would be awesome. There are sometimes I don't want to be in a quest cave with 30 other people is all. =)
  • Eldrenath
    Eldrenath
    ✭✭

I can see mob difficulty helping a bit, but the reason I'd like more semi-private areas is to encourage small group dynamics. As it stands now, there's like 10-20 people on some of these mobs in the "cave" quest areas, et cetera. That's why I'd like to see more instancing so you can enjoy gameplay with the people you want to play with. I'm not saying everywhere should be instanced, I just think they should design some quests with small groups in mind. I know not many people play it but games like Lord of the Rings Online do a pretty good job of developing content designed for say 3-6 players. Even some quest areas that are duoable that you and a friend can enjoy together would be awesome. There are sometimes I don't want to be in a quest cave with 30 other people is all. =)

Some good points here. I'm very much enjoying the game so far and have had fun in the dungeons. But the ones I was in had too many other players. I went in with a group of 4 and it was sort of bedlam. Other groups pulling mobs into us and our group, solo players just piggybacking on us. The reason this bothers me is that a lot of the pulls were thus made super easy--a group of 4 mobs and there were like 5-9 players on them. Each fight ended almost instantly.

I believe there are supposed to be private instances later on? But I'm not loving the public dungeons. I suppose they're cool if your solo but in a group it can be annoying. No real challenge because players outnumber the mobs by 3:1. Then again, this is an issue that might be resolved with time: right now TONS of players are in the same level range as me (8-12) so naturally the dungeons are somewhat overpopulated with players. But more instancing would help.
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the money dropped on this game why is level progression, exploration, and what have you on rails? I was expecting an open world type game, not this... I'm finding no desire to log in, just boredom.
    Goodbye, you by far, are a minority in your quite wrong opinion.
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    Eldrenath wrote: »

Some good points here. I'm very much enjoying the game so far and have had fun in the dungeons. But the ones I was in had too many other players. I went in with a group of 4 and it was sort of bedlam. Other groups pulling mobs into us and our group, solo players just piggybacking on us. The reason this bothers me is that a lot of the pulls were thus made super easy--a group of 4 mobs and there were like 5-9 players on them. Each fight ended almost instantly.

I believe there are supposed to be private instances later on? But I'm not loving the public dungeons. I suppose they're cool if your solo but in a group it can be annoying. No real challenge because players outnumber the mobs by 3:1. Then again, this is an issue that might be resolved with time: right now TONS of players are in the same level range as me (8-12) so naturally the dungeons are somewhat overpopulated with players. But more instancing would help.

Yeah, definitely where I'm coming from, it'd be nice to be able to do SOME stuff with just friends. =)
  • Conflictions
    Coming from someone who is level 30. The first zone for AD is ok. Not that great but I've done it a few times.

Things are better once you get out of Auridon however with the zerg of casuals just about anything is gonna be awful cuz there will always be about 10 other people right next to you.

My suggestion is to level as hard as you can until you get out of the main masses average level. Right now @ level 30 I see 1 person every minute or two and it allows me to solo yet at the same time ask in zone for help with a rift or elite camp.

No reason to judge an MMO in its first levels. I respect your decision if you quit after you reach level cap but before that? Well, its your choice I guess.
  • Cogo
    Cogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think this game is to easy and mobs dies from 2-3 hits....you simply have not been outside newbie areas.

When you walk out in the world, died loads and got nothing...then come back and say the game is to easy! ;-).

There are quests at level 8-10 that most people can not complete because it requires skill.

Love this game!
    Oghur Hatemachine, Guild leader of The Nephilim - EU Megaserver
    Orc Weapon Specialist and Warchief of the Ebonheart Pact - Trueflame Cyrodiil War Campaign
    Guildsite: The Nephilim

"I don't agree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"
    -Voltaire

"My build? Improvise, overcome and adapt!"
  • Cogo
    Cogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got level 31 and I'm done for the day, I'm not really having fun and don't plan on subbing. Mostly just chugging along to get my money's worth.

Sorry, I do not believe you that you are level 31 after 2 days.
    Oghur Hatemachine, Guild leader of The Nephilim - EU Megaserver
    Orc Weapon Specialist and Warchief of the Ebonheart Pact - Trueflame Cyrodiil War Campaign
    Guildsite: The Nephilim

"I don't agree with what you are saying, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"
    -Voltaire

"My build? Improvise, overcome and adapt!"
  • xWHALESHARKx
    xWHALESHARKx
    ✭✭
    IMO, game's not boring at all. Maybe it's a case of "Diff'rent strokes" but I feel pretty engaged
    We may not be big, but we're small.

Thunder-Perfect-Mind
    Imperial Nightblade
    Aldmeri Dominion
    NA Megaserver
  • silent88b14_ESO
    silent88b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen several people post that they are in their late 20s and one 30. It is possible he did it but it has to be pretty rare still. No one to effectively group with.
    Edited by silent88b14_ESO on April 1, 2014 7:24PM