The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

5 Star Ratings & Toxicity Combat.

• Fruity_Ninja
    Fruity_Ninja
    ✭✭✭
    I literally came into this thread, expecting it to be a rant at all the Grand Overlords in the game, with claims of toxicity being leveled towards them.

I was ready to defend their e-honour.

• INM
    INM
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried to play League of Legends or another game like it? Every game someone is getting reported without solid reason. And it won't be different in ESO, despite that ESOFAM facade that was built around the game. Going too slow? 1 star. Going too fast. 1 star. Didn't give an item? 1 star. Wrote something in chat. 1 star. Didn't write anything in chat. 1 star. Cool system.
  • orgin_stadia
    orgin_stadia
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a tool for endorsing bullying.

Just as any system where you can downvote others (like reddit) you can't expect or trust people to downvote people for the "right" or "valid" reasons. Thus any such system is flawed and just doesn't work as intended.
    Edited by orgin_stadia on December 2, 2022 8:19AM
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only could this be easily manipulated it also runs into problems with how different people feel about different things. One player may rank a certain behavior as a five star that another may rank as a one star. Besides, with tools like blocking and reporting already existing (not to mention guild blacklisting if you are a guild officer) a ranking system seems kind of redundant.
  • SPR_of_HA_community
    SPR_of_HA_community
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rate other players and decide how they have to play is the bigest form of toxicity )))

So it is even funny to see it as against a toxicity topic ))

It is like - saving the trees by burning and erredicating them )
    Edited by SPR_of_HA_community on December 2, 2022 8:56AM
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    INM wrote: »
    Have you tried to play League of Legends or another game like it? Every game someone is getting reported without solid reason. And it won't be different in ESO, despite that ESOFAM facade that was built around the game. Going too slow? 1 star. Going too fast. 1 star. Didn't give an item? 1 star. Wrote something in chat. 1 star. Didn't write anything in chat. 1 star. Cool system.

Who cares about getting reported, as long as you bypass the profanity, you will be fine in league, you can make people rage without cursing or intentionally feeding.

Just pick some useless champ and chat about some nonsense
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATomiX69 wrote: »
    Yeah we need a social credit system and everyone below a certain treshold gets reeducated (banned)
    Sounds good, sign me up.

The problem is and always has been.. Who get reducated? the one causing the issue or the one saying something about it? Seems to be the latter as of late far too often!
  • INM
    INM
    ✭✭✭✭

Who cares about getting reported, as long as you bypass the profanity, you will be fine in league, you can make people rage without cursing or intentionally feeding.

It's not about punishment, but about the fact that people are using the report function to release steam.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    INM wrote: »

It's not about punishment, but about the fact that people are using the report function to release steam.

So you are claiming everyone is just reporting everyone so the functionality is simply useless?
  • INM
    INM
    ✭✭✭✭

So you are claiming everyone is just reporting everyone so the functionality is simply useless?

It's not useless, but it's too often used inappropriately to trust players to auto-moderate community with it

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "I've been thinking of ways to counter the inherent toxicity that develops in Social Online Environments where people are mostly anonymous and unaccountable for their toxicity."

Your first sentence is exactly why it it's a bad idea, players rating other players is asking for trouble.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • rootkitronin
    rootkitronin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's try it out!

*beetrootronin has rated Duck_Falcon with 1/5 stars*

• Duke_Falcon
    Duke_Falcon
    ✭✭✭
    Let's try it out!

lolol 8-D I love it.

Okay I whole heartedly agree that rating players after a group experience in a dungeon is a bad idea. The introduction to the discussion was based on group encounters and I missed the fact that that involves people game play. So yes, its a super bad idea.

I do think there might be merit to a popup rating system after whispers or in game mail messages, but that will have to be a different thread, because this one inherently includes game play ability and knowledge so, new and beginning players will get poorly rated, or the potential of people manipulating the system by poorly rating someone because they will not do what you want. This could be abused in so many ways that you all have pointed out.

Thanks guys, good talk.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any system like that can and will be abused. Best to ignore, unless the toxicity is to the level of violating terms of service, ie. actual cheating, sexual harassment, etc…
  • rootkitronin
    rootkitronin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's try it out!

lolol 8-D I love it.

Okay I whole heartedly agree that rating players after a group experience in a dungeon is a bad idea. The introduction to the discussion was based on group encounters and I missed the fact that that involves people game play. So yes, its a super bad idea.

I do think there might be merit to a popup rating system after whispers or in game mail messages, but that will have to be a different thread, because this one inherently includes game play ability and knowledge so, new and beginning players will get poorly rated, or the potential of people manipulating the system by poorly rating someone because they will not do what you want. This could be abused in so many ways that you all have pointed out.

Thanks guys, good talk.

I definitely feel where you're coming from, and it would be nice to have some sort of way to better filter or group players. The number of poor daily dungeon pug experiences I've had leveling up a new character lately has been brutal.

Part of me wouldn't mind a recommendation/commendation system - I think Destiny 2 is playing around with that right now. Nothing is negatively based, instead it all focuses on positive reinforcement. It's an opportunity to give anonymous shout outs and commendations to other players that you've had positive experiences with - not unlike the "agree", "awesome", and "insightful" options on the forums.

How that would work with matchmaking or socializing in ESO, I'm not 100% sure, but I think systems that encourage positive change are generally more productive, and less prone to abuse, than those that likewise punish negative behaviour.

Edited by rootkitronin on December 5, 2022 8:21PM