The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Has anyone else had no drive to play ESO?

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently I've actually been playing more than I expected to, but I come and go from this game like any other. I've never been the type to stick to one game until I've finished it or quit or whatever, I just play whatever I feel like at the time.

So when I don't feel like playing ESO I just...don't, I do something else and come back to this game when I feel like it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I "quit" the game for over a year once. Came back and have stayed since, but there are periods when I mainly log in just to collect the daily reward and do the really easy endeavors (the "I don't even have to leave a town" endeavors).

It's okay to take a break when the game isn't fun anymore. Games should be fun.
  • Kng_Ayumayuma
    Kng_Ayumayuma
    ✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    I've been playing the event to pass the time, but it's mostly because I don't have any social activities in real life.

When the event is over I suppose I'll go back to Firesong, but I have no real drive, as you say.

I love that first line.

Does anyone here have any "real drive?" We play video games all day. Or post in forums. If not this game then another one.
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO was my only game, several hours a day, for almost three years. I have all the gold I'll ever need and more than 20 characters L50 on two accounts. But I got tired of collecting stuff I don't need and will never use and realized I needed a change. I've been binging Elden Ring (first Souls game) the last two weeks and loving it. I'll check out the next story line in ESO but needed that sense of exploration and advancement - lots to do in ER still. [snip]

[edited for minor bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 27, 2022 12:56PM
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like burnout to me. Up until I burnt out in early 2020 I played daily for hours at a time. I took a break for nearly a year and now I play way more regularly. Even if you love a game it's important to take a break when you just aren't having fun.
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm struggling to find motivation to log in the game and finish the Legacy of the Bretons story arc. I basically only log in for tickets for the hourglass, that's it these days. The story arc this year has been so safe and mediocre that made me lose any interest in exploring in Galen after High Isle has been such a beige ordeal. There has been such a deterioration in the quality of the writing over the last few years, it's ridiculous. Back in January, before the yearly story was revealed, I was really hyped for a more serious, political story rather than the cult-of-the-week type of story. Nope, it's just the good ol' cult and nothing ever changes. The alliance leaders negotiations was the only plot point that was somewhat interesting to me. You have this amazing IP and you're wasting it away on quirky stories.

I've complained about this before but "Year of X" stories are lacking ambition, ZOS fell into a very safe model that repeats year after year and it's gotten stale fast. The 2023 year of X better be something good but I'm not hopeful...Yearly standalone stories that change nothing in the world despite being "end of the world" type of threats are killing the game.
  • Kng_Ayumayuma
    Kng_Ayumayuma
    ✭✭✭
    OhDios wrote: »
    Same as you my friend, I stop playing at U35, with my pockets full of gold, legendary items, Achievements, etc.
    I just lost my will to play, everything became routine, each new chapter the same farming for new items, and the stories more and more silly and lack of content, the quests monotonous ...without history... without lore.

I know Steam isn't the whole TESO player base but check out the tendencies this is a Year to Year Comp.
    https://steamcharts.com/app/306130#All
    October 2018 18,229 players
    October 2019 21,527 players
    October 2020 33,807 players
    October 2021 29,949 players
    October 2022 22,010 players

I remain hopeful that the game's management realizes that the sales and marketing group is destroying their player base, and gives the story makers once again the importance they deserve at the drawing table.

I'm no statistician. But isn't 22,000 more than 18,000? Does 5 entries make for a good data set?
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well yeah, I pretty much stopped too, only to PvP on Fridays with the guild now. Since ESO don't care about PvP and Cyrodiil, which is the most fun part of the game, it got harder and harder to care about the game. Add in that all expansions feels like reskins of each other, and there's no excitement left for me. Every new expansion and DLC gives a sense of deja vu because of how similar it is. Always 2 public dungeons, 6 delves, 6 WBs etc.

Splitting my time between SWTOR again, and New World. At least NW has improved unlike ESO in the last year.
    Edited by Bucky_13 on November 26, 2022 10:24PM
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cba playing ESO at the moment. Finding dedicated people to do trials with is impossible.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope,

still enjoy playing it regularly....started in 2015....

• AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a lot of fun in ESO right now. I had skipped Morrowind and just getting into that expansion and am really enjoying it - a lot more than some of the recent chapters.

I also roleplay, so that takes up a lot of time and extends the games lifespan for me.

Meanwhile I am taking a break from FFXIV, which while a game I also like I just end up playing it in waves. Totally normal to need a break here and there IMO.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My personal playtime has decreased dramatically since U35, and honestly I really only log in to do my progression raids and some crafting dailies to keep funds for repairs since I love playing with my guildies. If I wasn't in progression groups I'd have completely stopped playing with U35 until U35's changes were rectified in the future.
  • Mascen
    Mascen
    ✭✭✭✭
    First off I wanna say I'm a Mega Elder Scrolls fan. I've played morrowind, I LOVE oblivion, played skyrim a ton and I've been playing ESO since 2016. I even have a character outfit I do for photos shoots based off my elder scrolls character. But lately... I have had zero drive or want to play the game.

I usually play daily and definitely play events but I haven't logged on in a couple weeks. I still have a ton of stuff to do in game so I didn't run out of content. For example the stalwart sovangarde style is a outfit ive been wanting and huntjng for awhile but they cant even make my log on. I don't know if I'm burnt out or what. Is anyone else having a hard time getting onto ESO or am I just weird.

Sounds like burn out. I had that issue when I left shortly before southern Elsweyr only to come back last March and be amazed by Greymoor and Blackwood.

My advice is knock out Sovngard stalwart while its still cheap and stick around for New Life Festival, then take a break.
  • OhDios
    OhDios
    ✭✭✭
    [quote="...
    I know Steam isn't the whole TESO player base but check out the tendencies this is a Year to Year Comp.

I remain hopeful that the game's management realizes that the sales and marketing group is destroying their player base, and gives the story makers once again the importance they deserve at the drawing table.[/quote]

I'm no statistician. But isn't 22,000 more than 18,000? Does 5 entries make for a good data set?[/quote]

Indeed 22k>18k but In this business model, shareholders see that you achieved 85% growth in 2 years (2018-2020), but in the following 2 years you fell 53%(2020-2022), it is a bad sign.
    And yes 5 years is enough to analyze trends in this kind of business.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh, all that "mega growth" was during the pandemic with lockdowns, working from home etc. Of course it wasn't going to last once the world was more or less normal again.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OhDios wrote: »
    Same as you my friend, I stop playing at U35, with my pockets full of gold, legendary items, Achievements, etc.
    I just lost my will to play, everything became routine, each new chapter the same farming for new items, and the stories more and more silly and lack of content, the quests monotonous ...without history... without lore.

I remain hopeful that the game's management realizes that the sales and marketing group is destroying their player base, and gives the story makers once again the importance they deserve at the drawing table.

I'm no statistician. But isn't 22,000 more than 18,000? Does 5 entries make for a good data set?

How about we discuss subscribers vs active players, because no matter how low those numbers shrink the number of subscribers is going to continue to grow.
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No real drive after u35 tbh and everyone i raided with quitting. Went from playing daily to once a week. Havent logged on since u36 as i just cbfd with all the bugs like not being able to block. Luckily the new pokemon and xbox gamepass have my attention to keep me away from the drepressing reality that is ESO.
    Edited by gronoxvx on November 28, 2022 12:26AM
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped actively playing after U35 was announced.... but I actually uninstalled ESO at the beginning of this month. Sadly, it wasn't even really because of the game. Like yeah, I was not REALLY playing.... but I was hoping to see the game improve so I would want to play again. Before that could even happen though; the silence from Zenimax, the censoring of more negative opinions on the game and it's management on the forums.... it all really stood out to me. The community rules seem more in place to protect Zenimax and the game than the actual forum users. It's seriously wild haha like the only stuff you'll see get censored on WoW's forums are actual inappropriate remarks like racism, sexism, and vulgar language.... not a players legitimate opinion or thoughts on the game/company that lean towards a more negative view. I would share the personal experience that really was the nail in the coffin for me, but there's a rule that we're not allowed to discuss "disciplinary actions" which is a huge red flag on it's own. Also the fact that they do label such things as "bashing" and censor them just shows that they see nothing wrong with the choices/direction they've taken the game and in turn, probably won't change. I really find it hard to imagine a day I'll ever willingly support something from Zenimax again and honestly at this point.... the only reason I participate on the forums is because I do kind of enjoy watching things go up in flames, but I'm also the designated friend that keeps an eye on the forums for information about the game for the rest of my gaming group since none of us are playing it right now. Seriously though, I'll really be surprised if nothing in this gets snipped haha
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I felt my first real taste of burnout recently, despite years of gradually increasing change fatigue. After the wild combat swings, bad performance, lackluster writing, crippling bugs, butchering of my favourite class, and overall headache this year has been, it's finally got to be too much. My motivation is gone.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • gamma71
    gamma71
    ✭✭✭✭
    U35 ruined it for me and basically everyone I played with so much unsubbed been playing since 2014 but U35 stupidity was the last straw. I mainly pvp and the lack of any content pvp wise is it for me.
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    First off I wanna say I'm a Mega Elder Scrolls fan. I've played morrowind, I LOVE oblivion, played skyrim a ton and I've been playing ESO since 2016. I even have a character outfit I do for photos shoots based off my elder scrolls character. But lately... I have had zero drive or want to play the game.

I usually play daily and definitely play events but I haven't logged on in a couple weeks. I still have a ton of stuff to do in game so I didn't run out of content. For example the stalwart sovangarde style is a outfit ive been wanting and huntjng for awhile but they cant even make my log on. I don't know if I'm burnt out or what. Is anyone else having a hard time getting onto ESO or am I just weird.

I love ESO and have for many years but it's become a chore nowadays. ZOS keeps nerfing skills and destroying everything I enjoyed about it, from Jabs to Daedric Mines etc. Add to that the lead drop chance...it's becoming a nightmare.

I've noticed lots of streamers have swapped to New World and I'll be trying it out, just bought it. ESO is in a sad state right now for us who have played it for years, especially for pvp'ers.
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the base game and early DLC's which made you feel immersed in the lore. The maps where well populated and beautifully made. The content over the past few years has become dull and lifeless with huge empty maps and copy pasted mobs, storylines that I found myself clicking through just to get it overwith.

I don't think it is burnout for me but rather like starting a really good book that kept you picking it up again and again only to find it lost its readability half way through.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i usually get burned out from events when i overfarm too much lol (i did like 40 runs of dungeons in 3 days to finish gear for unhallowed grave, stone garden, castle thorn, and significant progress on icereach)

i still log in and do dailies, and have stuff to work on (like working to pvp rank 50), but sometimes i just need a break from that and so after i do the dailies/endeavors i just switch to play something else for the day
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Ugrak
    Ugrak
    ✭✭✭
    Question: Do we play games, or do the games play us?

Sometimes with the constant pull of incentives through dailies, events or what have you, the game becomes a job. You clock in, do some overtime, grinding out that paycheck. Like some lab rat pushing levers for rewards.

There's a time and place for that too because some rewards are useful, but personally I enjoy the game more when I clock out and just do my own thing. It's like there's a need for work/life balance within the game.

Seeing what you can get away with soloing can be rewarding (i.e., dying a lot, but persisting and improving). Adjacent to creating unconventional builds. Same with getting creative in the housing system. I must have spent a year or two doing nothing but housing.

Then there's the PVP and trade aspect of the game, which (behind a learning curve) offers something different from the PVE world, because you're up against people. You can talk to them too. Some of them have more conversation options than NPCs.