The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

No AH, not happy about this

• mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People, check facts before preordering a game... No AH is good. Games with Global AH have really crappy, inflationated economies
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game release deadlines are far ahead of what they really should be.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sprinkle in quality of life updates like this in the future.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Zerl
    Zerl
    ✭✭✭
    If after a month or 2 it is apparent that the current system is not working, then I would be inclined to agree that a change is required. However the game isn't even (officially) released yet, so it's rather early to say that the trading system is flawed and doomed to fail.
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being an old mmo'er since the 90's, I am used to an AH, even though it feels strange not having one, I figure oh well, I will get used it and find new way or even some old ways to get around it, I kinda welcome some changes since I was burned out on the standard clone mmo's of the last several years.. Who knows they may add something down the road, better to add to a game than take away..will see what happens, but not having them, does not change me wanting to play ESO, has to many other things going for it. :smiley:
  • tibersep
    tibersep
    As a long time MMO player I find it very odd that it doesn't have an AH especially as the game seems to have a good crafting system
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think global AH were that common (if any) before WoW, so not really getting this MMO veteranship thing... and EVE has regional AH and you have to go collect the stuff (and risk being blown up), so it's quite different.

Join a Trade or Craft Guild, you can join up to 5
  • Ekeiram
    Ekeiram
    as a long time MMORPG player I am also used to AH, but I think its refreshing to try something new. Guild shops, trade channel ... I will probably find my way :)
  • tibersep
    tibersep
    mutharex wrote: »
    I don't think global AH were that common (if any) before WoW, so not really getting this MMO veteranship thing... and EVE has regional AH and you have to go collect the stuff (and risk being blown up), so it's quite different.

oh yea, its only been a standard feature of MMO RPGs for around 10 years or so? possibly even being in EQ1 long before that?
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tibersep wrote: »

oh yea, its only been a standard feature of MMO RPGs for around 10 years or so? possibly even being in EQ1 long before that?

EQ had an AH? Really. I undertand
  • tibersep
    tibersep
    tibersep wrote: »

EQ had an AH? Really. I undertand

no clue, never played it, I was about 6 when it came out. I would have assumed it did/does though
  • GomezThePuppetmaster
    GomezThePuppetmaster
    Soul Shriven
    AH need just for the gold/item shop dealers, botters etc...they want it and the 3 weeks players....I dont want to see full end game equipped players after 2-3 weeks like in D3 or Gw2....D3 will shut down their ah after it crashed their game totally....

no happy?..take a beer my friend and go to play !..:)...peace, no offense...:)
    Edited by GomezThePuppetmaster on March 31, 2014 10:58AM
  • Sarajlija
    Sarajlija
    Im glad there is no AH. D3 was a fine example on how AH ruined a game.

Thankfully after the D3:RoS release the game feels good again.
    Edited by Sarajlija on March 31, 2014 11:00AM
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not the guild store concept I disagree with. It's the fragmented, disjointed, forced limitations that come with this implementation.

I don't normally join guilds either but I will because I'm being forced to in order to do what is standard in most games. What bothers me the most is that I will also be forced to stand around for hours in some transit hub spamming "WTS" in zone chat just so I can reach more than 2499 players. (if I'm lucky enough to be in 5 full guilds)

This system could work if it provided more convenience and a much larger customer base.

*edit*

I'd like to add that it they're trying to promote community with this system ..pressing a "buy" button in a guild store won't accomplish it any more than it will in any other alternate system. In essence, ZOS is basically diminishing the sense of community that joining a guild would normally bring.
    Edited by Greydog on March 31, 2014 11:13AM
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see them bring back the Dark Age of Camelot way of selling things. You have your own merchant with a price listing. No haggling, no auctions, it's you pay this amount and not a penny less.
  • daynendrakeson
    I don't see the harm in having no AH. WoW was the first game I played that had one, and while it did open up trading opportunities, it also allowed some serious economic abuse. I know a guy who literally monopolized the entire economy of several servers within weeks of deciding to do so. Couldn't have done it with no AH. Double-edged sword and all that.

I gravitated to ESO because of my ES experience, and every feature that sets this game apart from the mainstream while keeping loyal to ES is a good thing to me. The fact that we even have phrases like "MMO clone" is a hint that the genre needs change, and it gives me hope to see ESO make it's choices based on it's own needs and ambitions, and not just because everyone else is doing the same thing. What works best for ESO isn't going to be what works best for WoW, and what one thinks players want isn't always going to be what they really need. Otherwise, the genre would be monopolized by Blizzard; why make other games if WoW is perfect? Why seek other games to play if you think it's superior? The answer lies above.

Also, for the "veterans" out there--what you're used to isn't necessarily the best thing for you. Change can be good, if embraced without bias and judged on it's own merits. I say: forget WoW, EQ, and...whatever other MMO's you've come from. Play ESO, enjoy it as is, and let your experience tell you whether you actually like it or not BEFORE you call out mistakes in comparison to what's come before. The point of every new game is to evolve from it's predecessors and show us something better.

I say, so far so good.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear in mind, the more meta luxuries they add, the more we venture away from Tamriel and into formulaic MMO recipe. Fragmented chaos isn't always a bad thing -- if it reinforces the setting.
    Edited by Sarenia on March 31, 2014 11:11AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • joshweps
    joshweps
    ✭✭✭
    There is a really good chance this will hurt the game a lot OP , just like most of the other big changes they made , that is what adding changes do.

Players will come from other MMOs and just expect the AH to be there , how will they react to the lack of it and how the lack of it will affect them , is yet to be seen.

The devs better play their cards right , MMOs with subs/month cant make many big mistakes before going F2P.

This is elder scrolls mate it doesn't make sense for the whole world to be connected through and auction house it would make more sense for people to trade with in guilds

I don't think any ES fans want to see this game turn into wow
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why most arguing against always use the WoW model as a base when very few of us arguing for are asking for a "global" market. I personally am only looking for some middle ground here.

IMO, SWG's model was the best of both worlds. I don't mind going to get the purchases as long as there is a convenient way to search for what I need/want.
    Edited by Greydog on March 31, 2014 11:21AM
    Sanguine's Disciple

• Heals
    Heals
    Noxxys wrote: »
    I'm against auction houses in MMOs for these reasons:
    - breaks immersion
    - makes the game too easy
    - makes exploration and good loots almost obsolete
    - destroys the economy of the game after a few months
    - increases the gap between new players and veterans, as the latter can just buy all their high quality gear in the AH because of they have more money

I whole heartily agree with all of these bullet points. This game does not need an AH. Just join one of the numerous trading guilds in your Alliance and you have access to bulk materials. Some of them even have websites setup where you can purchase from other Alliances. Mail is not faction-only so items can be sent COD.
    Heals-All-Wounds - Argonian Templar
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    The lack of some form of public AH - not necessarily serverwide, they could be limited to smaller areas but disconnected from the guilds - still concerns me. It limits the trading opportunities and

I am also surprised to see the comments above that a solo player does not need an AH. As I always thought and experienced, a solo player is exactly the kind of a player who uses AH most because he is not able to get some items without grouping. Just like in real life where a person who lives alone and does not have friends must go to a shop (or shop online) in order to continue his existence, while a family guy can avoid visiting some supermarkets because his family will supply him with everything he needs from there. That's how I always saw the guilds in games - their are families of different size, trading within a family feels awkward and it is the main form of traiding in ESO. Apart from spamming in the chat.. (I simply put such spammers on ignore after 5 repeated messages.)

Now the game forces solo players to join guilds. It also forces the members of the friendly family guilds to join some trading guilds if the family guild is not able to provide the members with certain items. Coming from other games where I never shared myself between different guilds I can't even imagine how I will fit in this system. My future subscription will solely depend on how I will feel about ESO player's economy in one month. Quite curious to see that :)
  • tibersep
    tibersep
    "this is ES" yes but it is also "online" and changes must be made as a result. I don't recall player guilds, mail and pvp being in the rpg either... better take those out then *shrug* You are right we are moving away from the traditional Tamriel towards an mmo... thats kind of the point and its important to find a balance if you want the game to work long term and not just last a month like a traditional ES game.

As for those using the Diablo 3 real money auction house as a comparison... that is totally false, D3 is not even an mmo nor is the auction house the same thing.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well don't worry too much. Most likely, ZOS will cave to the people crying for flying pandas and auction houses in a year or so, and we can all play Skycraft.

The problem with people... they know what they want, but not what they need to truly get what they want. Vicious cycle.
    Edited by Sarenia on March 31, 2014 11:27AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • mpowell
    mpowell
    If you need something why don't you just communicate with people
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they already butchered the starting island tutorial (and many 'noobs' are crying in chat and the forum about not knowing what to do..), let's hope they stop listening to feedback.....
  • joshweps
    joshweps
    ✭✭✭
    There has always been guilds, Mail and Pvp as in people fighting each other we might not have been playing these but they were all happening in the ES world there was no ah.
  • Kronos
    Kronos
    Adagia wrote: »
    There will be guilds out there that only exist to provide a place for players to sell to each other. They won't be expecting you to attend guild events, or hunt together, or whatever. Find one of those and join it.

^^^ this 100 times. Yesterday was the first day and there are already guilds at the cap of 300 players for just selling stuff at a store. You can even turn off that guild chat if you never want to talk to a single person in the guild ever. I know i will be a member of at least 2 guilds for just selling purposes.

- Kronos Dawnbreaker
    The Septim Bloodline
    Guildmaster
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about they use some of that unused map space to place regional or alliance "Bazaars" where guilds can place a merchant to hawk the guilds wares.

Have the players transit in and search listings for their needs then go to the merchant to seal the deal ;)
    Sanguine's Disciple

• Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    I like the way it is set up now.

If you play solo any nice items that you get or grow out of you can stash in your bank for alts to use later on. The Guild system allows you to trade and help out other Guild members. This should be enough for everyone.

I find it refreshing that there is no Auction House. It encourages greater player co-operation and interaction which other games have sadly lost

It might be nice to be able to have a 'Skill' that allows you to place an NPC Merchant in a marketplace somewhere in the world, but I think this should be restricted for the sale of Player made goods.
    Edited by Killum on March 31, 2014 11:57AM
  • blahgameblahb14_ESO
    People are already haggling the sales of Jute and Iron in chat. Not worth ignoring them (like the gold spammers ><) but a trade channel would keep that more categorized.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    The whole guild-shop-PvP-keep link is an interesting experiment. I'm all for it.

I don't like trade spam, I don't like being forced to barter with people. I just want to drop stuff I don't need into a box and have it turned into cash.
    On the other hand, AH economies haven't been too successful in other MMOs.

This is something new, it might work fine. Joining a trade guild isn't much of a price to pay.
    Anyway, looking at the crafting setup, I'm not sure I'll need to trade very much.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
This discussion has been closed.