Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

No AH, not happy about this

SoulSeekerUSA
SoulSeekerUSA
✭✭✭
Guess I should have done a bit more research in this area before I bought the game. I am not interested in standing around and yelling to sell something I want to put it on the AH and go play the game. I don't want to join a guild I like solo play, another reason I bought the game was because I had heard it was leaning more towards solo players since the Elder Scroll games were always single player. No AH is going to hurt this game a whole lot, I would have never bought it if I would have known this.
Edited by SoulSeekerUSA on March 31, 2014 3:22AM
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to play it solo then why do you need a AH? Trust me when I say that you will run into far more issues solo than an AH. I'm with you, its how I play the game but I will join a casual guild and peddle my wares that way.
  • khai
    khai
    ✭✭
    Joining a guild doesn't mean you can't play solo. Nobody can force you to do that. Just find a big guild to join (has to be 50+ members), and use it purely for trading.
    You may say I'm a Dreamer but I'm not the only one.
  • DualBullseye25
    Just to add. They may also add an AH. With the game being online it is not made of concrete. They can change, add, remove as they wish. So just have faith and maybe put it in the suggestions or create a thread to petition in a suggestion section and see where it goes from there. The game has only been live for a short amount of time. No game is every 100% complete when it leaves for stores now due to deadlines. That is why we have patches and updates.
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing solo and needing an auction house are kind of mutually exclusive, aren't they?

Anyway, the auction house situation has been clear from day one.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Louis
    Louis
    ✭✭✭
    i dont see why having No AH is going to affect/hurt this game.
    alot of people look at this signature, i guess youre one of them.
  • skywhales
    skywhales
    If eso stays without an AH we may have to get use to selling/trading with players on the go and dumping or vendor trashing the rest. I'd be curious to see what happens without an AH, would it turn into something like Asherons Call with vendor bots, or something else? Should be interesting.
    W̶̶̖̠̩̗͎͉͎͝h͏͔̪̖͕a̶҉̖͇̬̦̹t̷̡̳͇͚̯͜ ̷̧͇̬̯̳͟i̧̦̦̟̺̺s̴͍̠̺͇̩̙̳̥ͅ ͚̬͈̼̲̞͢t҉̷̳̱̹̳̣̠̪̫ͅh͉͉̱̥͉̣͈̕ę͚̣ ̨̠̜̰̳c̛̤͔̤͙͝o̴̮͖̼̳͕̯͜ͅl̶̛̗̹̺̼̞ͅo̰͍̼̦̘͔̪͙͡r͏̻̘̻̟̪̲̫̯̀ ̶̦̰͎͈͎͕̮o̷̥͖͔̙̞̳̯͓͞f̡̟̤̬͇̬ ̮͖͔͖̺͙̕n͏̛̹̬̟i͔͉̙g͔̺̱̱̝̺̕h̨̲̜͇͈̞̝t̮̗͓͚̻̘?̠͍̠̙̪̮͎̕
  • Adagia
    Adagia
    Soul Shriven
    There will be guilds out there that only exist to provide a place for players to sell to each other. They won't be expecting you to attend guild events, or hunt together, or whatever. Find one of those and join it.
  • TuterKing
    TuterKing
    ✭✭
    Man it took me forever to realize what ah meant auction house. Never played WoW before.
    The King is Here!
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It won't hurt the game at all.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    May open a use for mercantile / trader shops later on.

Not to mention it should help with gold sellers.
    Edited by Skjlvald on March 31, 2014 3:50AM
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • Lancearon
    Lancearon
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Guild store system... GL to gold farmers is all I can say :P
  • SpieleNerd
    I am not interested in standing around and yelling to sell something I want to put it on the AH and go play the game.

Well, and what if i tell you that standing around and trying to sell your stuff is part of the game ?

thats like complaining in a racing game that you have drive in laps..

i know you propably dont want to hear this, but maybe you should try another game if you dont like this one, there`s many of them ...
  • Cayce_of_Kata
    Cayce_of_Kata
    ✭✭✭
    skywhales wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see what happens without an AH, would it turn into something like Asherons Call with vendor bots, or something else? Should be interesting.

I'd prefer more like Ragnarok Online, where people could set up shops on street corners. It got crowded, and a little ugly at times, but it was nice to be able to walk down the street and browse.
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see an AH as well, particularly after being burned with systems like FFXIV's, which was similar to ESO (but ESO's is quite a bit better done, much more large-scale than individual player-made vendors).

Quite enjoying the game otherwise.
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a really good chance this will hurt the game a lot OP , just like most of the other big changes they made , that is what adding changes do.

Players will come from other MMOs and just expect the AH to be there , how will they react to the lack of it and how the lack of it will affect them , is yet to be seen.

The devs better play their cards right , MMOs with subs/month cant make many big mistakes before going F2P.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a really good chance this will hurt the game a lot OP , just like most of the other big changes they made , that is what adding changes do.

Players will come from other MMOs and just expect the AH to be there , how will they react to the lack of it and how the lack of it will affect them , is yet to be seen.

The devs better play their cards right , MMOs with subs/month cant make many big mistakes before going F2P.

This was not a "big change they made." As far as I know, a public auction house system was never planned, and it's hardly a lynchpin of gaming for most players.

----
    Murray?
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is trying too hard to be unique and diverse itself from the standard mmo. Instead, it should focus on what people like about mmo's and then focus on making the other stuff unique.

I honestly can't see a game without an economy having a worthwhile endgame, but I guess we'll wait and see. I'm hoping it can pull it off but I'm extremely skeptical.
    This was not a "big change they made." As far as I know, a public auction house system was never planned, and it's hardly a lynchpin of gaming for most players.

Not really, people who like mmo's generally like having auction houses and it is considered a "big change" considering how practically every mmo in existence has an action house. Big changes are in reference to design decisions that differentiate it from the standard mmo. The only people who wouldn't really consider it a "lynchpin" would be non mmo players (the single player rpg people) and super casuals.
    Edited by jmido8 on March 31, 2014 4:51AM
  • SirLee
    SirLee
    ✭✭
    This is going to hurt Crafters the most. AH's are almost essential to get rare ingredients or bulk materials. And, they are often the best place to unload your creations. Without one, you need to spend an inordinate amount of time hawking your goods in chat channels no one likes to visit.

I particularly liked LotRO's AH implementation. Without something similar it will be difficult for small time crafters to compete with the big guilds. I find this sad and very limiting.
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious. Sun Tzu
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmido8 wrote: »
    Not really, people who like mmo's generally like having auction houses and it is considered a "big change" considering how practically every mmo in existence has an action house. Big changes are in reference to design decisions that differentiate it from the standard mmo. The only people who wouldn't really consider it a "lynchpin" would be non mmo players (the single player rpg people) and super casuals.

Well, a good chunk of the fanbase coming to this game are coming from the single player series, and yes Virginia, there is a casual playerbase. In fact, those "super casuals" make up the majority of your playerbase. They basically pay for you to have a game where "hardcore" players can look down their noses at the "casuals" who dare to play the same game as they do.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmido8 wrote: »

Well, a good chunk of the fanbase coming to this game are coming from the single player series, and yes Virginia, there is a casual playerbase. In fact, those "super casuals" make up the majority of your playerbase. They basically pay for you to have a game where "hardcore" players can look down their noses at the "casuals" who dare to play the same game as they do.

This whole casual/hardcore thing is ridiculous.

It does not matter if the devs said since the start they would not add the AH , most people wont research enough to find that info. Most MMO players will come expecting an AH , most MMOs today got one , it is that simple.

Removing the AH will probably have repercussions , if the system they have in its place works , then it will be fine , if not , then they will bleed players , like any game that makes a mistake in this market.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Knew this was going to happen.
  • kenshindononub18_ESO
    its gonna be the old Everquest days of shouting at the commons tunnel >_<
  • SirLee
    SirLee
    ✭✭
    its gonna be the old Everquest days of shouting at the commons tunnel >_<
    Ahh, the bad old days...

Lets hope they come to their senses before it gets that bad.
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious. Sun Tzu
  • Amberlin
    Amberlin
    The Guild Store concept, in my opinion, is flawed in several important ways.

On one level, there is a powerful implication that suggests it is guildies buying and selling to guildies. This is simply a toxic or heretical idea for many guild communities.

While I am confident that potential exists for "outside sales" through a guild store, there is a very powerful (and undeniable) bias towards larger guilds.

Further, both the supply side and the demand side of the economic basket is fractured. There is an assumption that guilds are market makers. However, the absence of data aggregation you have a balkanized market.

On the supply side, pricing is fixed. Assuming value, there currently there is no known "rational" means for a supplier to price to market. This creates HUGE overhead for inventory management and efficient pricing.

To remediate this gap, third-party resources will emerge and such will soon become necessary for credible go-to shopping.

On the demand side, consumers also have no "rational" means to comparatively shop. Pragmatic shopping will require an individual to balance their time and willingness against potential logistical challenges. This is no different than having NPC vendors all over the world supplying desirable products with random pricing.

To remediate this gap, third-party resources will emerge and the pragmatic shopper will be forced to rely upon crowd sourced "best buy" references.

Unfortunately, such measures face the extraordinary challenge of timeliness and accuracy (as demand spikes and supply droughts will render pedestrian methods impotent).

Please don't misunderstand, I am not suggesting that the system CANNOT work. I strongly believe that any economic paradigm with N+1 participants (where said participants have uncertain knowledge) will eventually create emergent equilibrium.

That said, I also believe that we have a population that has been conditioned to certain expectations and will gravitate to behaviors within the boundaries of those expectations.

Change will not come easily... populations don't like to adopt change too far or too fast. The nightmare (and most probable) scenario will be the journey of experimentation (that is, this sub-optimal system WILL force buyers and sellers into uncharted behaviors).

I admit, I do not have all the facts. I'm willing to be wrong... in fact, I hope I am.

For now, I do not believe the sky is falling. I look forward to additional data as the system rolls out and matures.

Cheers
    Past and future is illusory.
    Presence is focused in the now.
    Enlightenment is the end of living in illusion.
    Saphan | aZERwyn | Amberlin| Phesta | Pheisty | Zortek

• Fexelea
    Fexelea
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent post above - I personally would like to see an Auction House but the concept of guild trade is interesting and may trigger some large mercantile guilds such as some Asian MMOs have.
    Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki. All Eso Sets
    or check out the Dark Souls Wiki. We also have a Sekiro Wiki Bloodborne Wiki, Elden Ring Wiki and Dark Souls 3 Wiki

• DC_78
    DC_78
    ^^Already happened. Look up the East Empire Company Guild. 50+ members devoted mainly to crafting and potentially to filling bulk/custom orders.
  • blahgameblahb14_ESO
    There are a bunch of 'Trade' guilds already broadcasting. I hate guiilds but....on balance will probably end up in one.

I'd love it if there was a 'Trade' channel for the solo types like myself.
    Put a pin in that ZOS? Please?
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    For myself I'm looking with anticipation on how the players will regulate the market by themselves. I already imagine coming by an item made by some legendary crafter and trying to find him out in game through word of mouth - that would be fun!
    Global AH are terrible in my opinion and I hope there never will be one in ESO - especially as anyone can have at least a couple of crafting professions without problems.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    khai wrote: »
    Joining a guild doesn't mean you can't play solo. Nobody can force you to do that. Just find a big guild to join (has to be 50+ members), and use it purely for trading.

@khai I had to steal your sig, sorta.

Edit: but I do agree with you.
    Edited by Lazarus_Long on March 31, 2014 8:25AM
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Noxxys
    Noxxys
    I'm against auction houses in MMOs for these reasons:
    - breaks immersion
    - makes the game too easy
    - makes exploration and good loots almost obsolete
    - destroys the economy of the game after a few months
    - increases the gap between new players and veterans, as the latter can just buy all their high quality gear in the AH because of they have more money
This discussion has been closed.