The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sore Losers

Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
✭✭✭✭✭
So many sore losers playing Tribute... and I'm one of them!

I don't get it, I'm not that competitive, but when I lose this game against another human I turn into a child and want to smash my PC.

I wonder why.
  • RealLoveBVB
    RealLoveBVB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often it's connected with the rewards and missing them out with a loss. Imagine playing a long ranked match just to lose it and earning nothing for it. It's not about losing the match, more like losing the rewards you could get.

Good example is the "win 3 ranked matches". Players just want to earn the box and losing over and over again ist just frustrating then.

I wonder if you feel the same, if you play a casual match or against a friend? No rewards there, nothing to miss out. So I am sure you will take it easy there.
    Edited by RealLoveBVB on November 11, 2022 1:49AM
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often it's connected with the rewards and missing them out with a loss. Imagine playing a long ranked match just to lose it and earning nothing for it. It's not about losing the match, more like losing the rewards you could get.

Good example is the "win 3 ranked matches". Players just want to earn the box and losing over and over again ist just frustrating then.

I wonder if you feel the same, if you play a casual match or against a friend? No rewards there, nothing to miss out. So I am sure you will take it easy there.

Yes, you're right.

If I play a friend then I find the game much more enjoyable actually. No rewards, just bragging rights and even then, no real bragging rights, just a good/lighthearted discussion/review afterwards.

The rewards aren't even that great to be honest. Nowhere near like they were at launch. Even if you lost, remember how great the rewards were?

Now, they've included a motif which is selling for quite a bit in the guild stores.

I've managed to get four pages... two doubles. Out of every motif you can get with this style and I've managed two doubles out of the four!!!

Anyway, thanks for your insight - I appreciate it.

:)
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My frustration lies with the fact that if I win a ranked match, I get a itty bitty amount of points towards rank, but if I lose a ranked match, I lose a boatload of points. Every single time. I'm about 400 points away from Rubedite rank, but it's 1 step forward, 5 steps back...
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    My frustration lies with the fact that if I win a ranked match, I get a itty bitty amount of points towards rank, but if I lose a ranked match, I lose a boatload of points. Every single time. I'm about 400 points away from Rubedite rank, but it's 1 step forward, 5 steps back...

Skeever on the treadmill is what that game is.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on November 11, 2022 3:30PM
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Response of the week.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there is something inherently animalistic in all of us when we lose at a good ol' card game. Our ancestors did spend a lot of time drinking and playing games of chance lol

• Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll admit I'm a sore loser but I'm more of a defeatist with this game. Against bots is absolutely no problem, but people always just make me not care about the game. I'll put forth some effort for like one, maybe two games and lose, usually spectacularly so, which just makes me not care.
    What's that? You have all but one patron that I can use to stop you? Nope don't care.
    Good cards in the tavern? Nope just place down two gold and get a Writ, end my turn.
    Bored/entirely given up? Immediately end my turn with nothing done.

It's just so much worse to lose when I actually try than to immediately give up and not care.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    delenn35 wrote: »

I don't get it, I'm not that competitive, but when I lose this game against another human I turn into a child and want to smash my PC.

I wonder why.
    On the Suffering of Life 😁
    "Pleasure is never as pleasant as we expected it to be and pain is always more painful. The pain in the world always outweighs the pleasure. If you don't believe it, compare the respective feelings of two animals, one of which is eating the other."
    ~Schopenhauer
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why.

When I lose against the NPCs, I feel pretty much the same, so I don't think it's because you're playing against another human. "No fair, you just lucked out by getting better cards than me!" But if I win, it's because I'm so totally awesome. :D It's just how things tend to work: We want to take credit for any successes, but want to point fingers and pin the blame for any failures.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Indeed. Not sure why I expected better.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • tru418
    tru418
    Soul Shriven
    My biggest complaint isn't losing, although I am cussing up a storm and am a sore loser, it is the terrible RNG or how others just seem to have that perfect RNG.

I am much more accepting of games where the rng is not so skewed one way. Or seeing the same player, win over and over and over again. Yes, I understand the skew happens, but when it is consistent, that I call bs on.

And the lack of addressing it just makes me more irritated at zos.
  • tru418
    tru418
    Soul Shriven
    tru418 wrote: »
    Or seeing the same player, win over and over and over again.

I meant that this drives me crazy and is the something zos needs to at least look into. I understand it can happen, but when you watch rng that some of these ppl have.... it makes me suspicious

• WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭

I meant that this drives me crazy and is the something zos needs to at least look into. I understand it can happen, but when you watch rng that some of these ppl have.... it makes me suspicious

Theres this one player i called out on because they seemed to have the perfect cards pop up every time I played against them. Every-single-game consistently. Apparently that made me a crier, but really I questioned the validity of the game if this other player just seemed to get it all without fail.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WitchyKiki wrote: »

Theres this one player i called out on because they seemed to have the perfect cards pop up every time I played against them. Every-single-game consistently. Apparently that made me a crier, but really I questioned the validity of the game if this other player just seemed to get it all without fail.

I’m not really that savvy when it comes to all of this, but how can it be done? Where a specific player is consistently favoured.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not really that savvy when it comes to all of this, but how can it be done? Where a specific player is consistently favoured.

Stuff like getting cards that remove cards from the tavern without costing you coins, deck cycling early so you can get to 7 coins first, stuff like that.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Stuff like getting cards that remove cards from the tavern without costing you coins, deck cycling early so you can get to 7 coins first, stuff like that.

Oh, I thought you meant something like cheating. All of these things you mentioned are ok though, right? It’s just skill?
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Oh, I thought you meant something like cheating. All of these things you mentioned are ok though, right? It’s just skill?

I'm not the player that first mentioned it, so they may have accused someone of cheating. But, I have been on the annoying end of that accusation doing those strategies against various players in the game. And all of those things are just skill.
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder why.

Card games are like 1v1 duals in any pvp setting. There very intens and up on close personal. Losing hurts. (most hurt in human live is stored in childhood memories before you could process pain well so hurt brings out your inner child, cherish it and show now you can deal with pain even if its just for a unimportant card game which actually does matter somewhat :) )

Have a good one.
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • tru418
    tru418
    Soul Shriven
    AS for cheating...

I mean playing other than the intended. Exploits and Cheating.
    People run their own addons, how far can they take those? I don't know I don't do them...
    If a game is popular enough, someone somewhere will create code to 'assist' those players for a price. Some games have started suing those companies when they can find them anyway.

Hopefully I haven't broken an TOS or whatever by mentioning those services. I apologize if I have, but simple fact all games are susceptible to cheats, the key is how effective the company is at attempting to block them and/or spot them and remove them.

• Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only get this way when I get beat by an Orgnum spammer. Maomer go brrrrr, noob presses button, noob go brrrrr :p
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it was the competitive ranking system which is why I no longer play competitive games.

Now my biggest trigger are games where my opponent is making very little progress then come up with what my friend and I call a "miracle hand" and play card after card after card and generate a huge amount of power in one hand. I am not going to sit through a hopeless hand like that so I just concede.

The most fun games I've ever played were the close ones where we both reached 40 and were going back and forth seeing who could get enough ahead to win, or hit 80 first. Those games take real strategy and win or lose I appreciate a well played game like that.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 22, 2022 7:04PM
    PCNA
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it was the competitive ranking system which is why I no longer play competitive games.

Now my biggest trigger are games where my opponent is making very little progress then come up with what my friend and I call a "miracle hand" and play card after card after card and generate a huge amount of power in one hand. I am not going to sit through a hopeless hand like that so I just concede.

The most fun games I've ever played were the close ones where we both reached 40 and were going back and forth seeing who could get enough ahead to win, or hit 80 first. Those games take real strategy and win or lose I appreciate a well played game like that.

I’m only playing NPCs now and I’m enjoying it much more. No more hate whispers, no more waiting for the timer to run out, no more trolling me. Sure I wish they were smarter but at least I get to keep my sanity.

I’ve hit rubedite every season… never made it to the top 100. I think the highest I got was 112 or around that. I’m ok with sticking with the NPCs so I can keep playing a game that I really enjoy.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭

I've come to the point that when a player holds up the game on purpose, refusing to win and just stalling their power I refuse to play and sit on the timer. Want to hold up the game? then play by yourself. I know this thread is about sore losers, but I am seeing plenty of sore winners. If I can win a game, I win it and don't hold the other player hostage. Its rude.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've come to the point that when a player holds up the game on purpose, refusing to win and just stalling their power I refuse to play and sit on the timer. Want to hold up the game? then play by yourself. I know this thread is about sore losers, but I am seeing plenty of sore winners. If I can win a game, I win it and don't hold the other player hostage. Its rude.

I used to never understand why a player who generated 20 or more coins didn't just turn the Crow patron and take the win, especially when it was obvious that I couldn't catch them. Then I realized they were purposely not winning so the could play more huge long hands. The minute I see that happen now I'm out.
    PCNA
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭

I used to never understand why a player who generated 20 or more coins didn't just turn the Crow patron and take the win, especially when it was obvious that I couldn't catch them. Then I realized they were purposely not winning so the could play more huge long hands. The minute I see that happen now I'm out.

Don't concede, it lets them have that satisfaction. Just sit on the timer, waste their time right back. Satisfaction and fun is gone because the other player refused to play.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who plays exclusively against NPCs, here's what I've found:

Sometimes I delay winning when I could go ahead and use the Crow because I'm enjoying the game and want it to last longer. I'm not trying to be an ass toward my NPC opponent, I just don't want the match to end yet.

Sometimes I delay winning because I'm hoping my NPC opponent will gain some points to even up the score a bit more. Once again, the idea is to keep the match going a bit longer, but I'm actually trying to give my NPC opponent a chance to catch up so the match won't be so one-sided in my favor.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Sometimes I delay winning when I could go ahead and use the Crow because I'm enjoying the game and want it to last longer. I'm not trying to be an ass toward my NPC opponent, I just don't want the match to end yet.

Sometimes I delay winning because I'm hoping my NPC opponent will gain some points to even up the score a bit more. Once again, the idea is to keep the match going a bit longer, but I'm actually trying to give my NPC opponent a chance to catch up so the match won't be so one-sided in my favor.

Thats just against npcs, wildly different way you approach playing with them than you do another player.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Thats just against npcs, wildly different way you approach playing with them than you do another player.

That's one of the reasons I prefer playing against NPCs-- because I don't have to feel guilty about "going for blood," whereas when I briefly (for about 1 week) played against real people I always felt bad for them if I were winning and tended to hold back unless they were clearly beating the daylights out of me.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wanted to say, NPCs don’t care. You can take your time with them. Try these strategies with real people and before you know it you are the worst in the world. Keep playing NPCs, just as I intend to do. But they will work WITH you… as opposed to real people who will work against you.
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is absolutely the correct thing to do until a Retire button is put into the game that lets you lose without taking the concede penalty.

Players need to win gracefully as well as lose graciously. If it's obviously over, I'll turn in my five cards without playing any of them to signify I'm no longer competing. If my opponent then continues to stall, I just go off and take the bins out / go take a dump and let them play against themselves the rest of the match.