The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What does this mean: eso encountered a fatal error. (Error 6)

hammered_hippy
hammered_hippy
Soul Shriven
Simple question...simple answer.
Please.
Tech guys...this is such a straigthforward question.
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    It means: Game broke down. We are sorry. Please restart game.
  • hammered_hippy
    hammered_hippy
    Soul Shriven
    So it must be a hardware issue as this keeps happening
    Any news on hardware that causes problems
    At work I have the slowest 5 year old compu with barely a graphics card...and it plays
    At home I have a state of the art uber-game rig...and it does not work
  • Yshaar
    Yshaar
    ✭✭✭
    You should open up a support ticket with all available infos about your rig. Maybe it is a software problem with your computer at home. Could be anything really.
  • jpcolumbiipreub18_ESO
    I was running the game fine until this recent patch. Just a note to anybody else that stumbles upon this. Definitely send in a ticket, it could easily be a software problem.
  • Auric_ESO
    Auric_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    First thing I'd do is turn off all addons after a patch and see if it still happens. Sometimes patches break addons until the addon gets updated.
    "The purpose of training is to tighten up the slack, toughen the body, and polish the spirit." Morihei Ueshiba
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    ✭✭✭
    A fatal error can be caused by hardware or software. (As simple as I can make that)

Do as Auric says - disable all of your addons.

If that doesn't work:
    - check your drivers for updates
    - check your firewall
    - check your virus scan
    - check if you need to repair your client

If none of those seem to be an issue - then check hardware
    In answer to the question - could be ram, could be overheating, could be a dying harddrive/cpu/gpu...could really be anything. But if ONLY the game is crashing and nothing else you do on a day to day basis...it's likely NOT hardware.

Hence why you check software first!