The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar underperforming

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Remember when blazing spear cc'd everyone..deemed too op and got nerfed..

One of the better skills templar have is dark flare. It is a nice starting skill to use against a target to get give them major defile but also to get the 10% spell damage buff. The issue is if the player moves and you lose LoS, the templar chjaracter ends up in a very strange and annoying animation that can't be cancelled until the character fires off dark flare. This can result in a player dying because they can't do anything else for a while.

This skill should be instant cast. I rather the devs add the casting time to javelin or toppling charge since both seem to offer better usage than Dark Flare.
    Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on December 13, 2022 4:29PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Remember when blazing spear cc'd everyone..deemed too op and got nerfed..

One of the better skills templar have is dark flare. It is a nice starting skill to use against a target to get give them major defile but also to get the 10% spell damage buff. The issue is if the player moves and you lose LoS, the templar chjaracter ends up in a very strange and annoying animation that can't be cancelled until the character fires off dark flare. This can result in a player dying because they can't do anything else for a while.

This skill should be instant cast. I rather the devs add the casting time to javelin or toppling charge since both seem to offer better usage than Dark Flare.

A non-ultimate stun or gap closer should NEVER have a cast time
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    templar is in a fine spot, speaking from an unbiased objective pov. Not strong but not weak. Other classes are overtuned in some areas, but templar seems balanced.

it only looks weaker because other classes are overtuned, not just directly the class but from other sources that affect those classes

You need to give examples ro make a point like this

defenses are strong, high heal, cleanse, ccs. Class offensive spells are bad, but it makes up from utility. Ranged unlockable knockback javelin, or the other morph of living dark. Support it's good spot class.
    If u want to play a solo brawler u can use non class spells effectively, even considering burning light proc, execute is wonderful as it's undodgeable and high range.
    other classes are overtuned, sorc or nb have uncoubterable combat avoidance, dk and warden combine offense and defense too good, necro is in a weaker spot for now.

All classes have strong heals, not just templars. This is due to the fact that heals go by your highest resource and highest weapon/spell regardless the type of heal it is (magika/stamina). This is an on going issues for all classes. If you want to talk strong heal let's talk about how a DK can go from near death to full health with one heal. That specific skill morph should be a PVE only skill.

Templars does have cleanse but it also has no way to get immunity after it cleanse itself from soft CC. Instead to remove or avoid a follow up of a soft CC the templar has to waste resources to cleanse again and again and again and again. Not all that helpful. For instance the warden can use Bird of Prey to remove soft CC and have avoidance to them for a short time and use the netch to cleanse other items.

You mention templars have good CC but the issue is templar CC are Stun and Knockback both hard CC. The soft CC of puncture sweep/biting jabs is horrible at the moment not worth even bringing up. Right now the two best classes with soft CC are DK and Warden when in melee range making them hard for a templar to fight against as the templar either will burn through magic for its cleanse or stamina to get out of the immobilization.

The only good things that templars have right now are its defensives abilities but those too have been adjusted to not be as good, living dark, javelin (which is decent against blocking targets and if you want to knock someone down who doesn't have CC immunity) and finally radiant glory/destruction.

To me the issue I see with the game is it is broken in many areas and players simply use these broken game items to beat you down. The templar was in that category and is closer to where all classes should be set to in 2023. A few minor tweaks and I feel templars will be nearly perfect.

• TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wonder what's going on that dark flare Templar's manage to cast it when there are destro and bow spammmables that interrupt, and the first cast is extra long for some reason while Templar has 0 extra mobility so easy to get in melee range. Do people not know to bash? Or is the templar zerging?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dekrypted wrote: »
    Posting this meme here because at the end of the day, the class is useless now.

8zq6mbju1gp3.jpg

Zos please fix us
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    templar is in a fine spot, speaking from an unbiased objective pov. Not strong but not weak. Other classes are overtuned in some areas, but templar seems balanced.

it only looks weaker because other classes are overtuned, not just directly the class but from other sources that affect those classes

You need to give examples ro make a point like this

defenses are strong, high heal, cleanse, ccs. Class offensive spells are bad, but it makes up from utility. Ranged unlockable knockback javelin, or the other morph of living dark. Support it's good spot class.
    If u want to play a solo brawler u can use non class spells effectively, even considering burning light proc, execute is wonderful as it's undodgeable and high range.
    other classes are overtuned, sorc or nb have uncoubterable combat avoidance, dk and warden combine offense and defense too good, necro is in a weaker spot for now.

All classes have strong heals, not just templars. This is due to the fact that heals go by your highest resource and highest weapon/spell regardless the type of heal it is (magika/stamina). This is an on going issues for all classes. If you want to talk strong heal let's talk about how a DK can go from near death to full health with one heal. That specific skill morph should be a PVE only skill.

Templars does have cleanse but it also has no way to get immunity after it cleanse itself from soft CC. Instead to remove or avoid a follow up of a soft CC the templar has to waste resources to cleanse again and again and again and again. Not all that helpful. For instance the warden can use Bird of Prey to remove soft CC and have avoidance to them for a short time and use the netch to cleanse other items.

You mention templars have good CC but the issue is templar CC are Stun and Knockback both hard CC. The soft CC of puncture sweep/biting jabs is horrible at the moment not worth even bringing up. Right now the two best classes with soft CC are DK and Warden when in melee range making them hard for a templar to fight against as the templar either will burn through magic for its cleanse or stamina to get out of the immobilization.

The only good things that templars have right now are its defensives abilities but those too have been adjusted to not be as good, living dark, javelin (which is decent against blocking targets and if you want to knock someone down who doesn't have CC immunity) and finally radiant glory/destruction.

To me the issue I see with the game is it is broken in many areas and players simply use these broken game items to beat you down. The templar was in that category and is closer to where all classes should be set to in 2023. A few minor tweaks and I feel templars will be nearly perfect.

Well said. With other classes having equivalent burst heals, while sorcs only burst heal is tied to slotting on both bars, DK heal outperforms any heal in the game by having a modifier to low health plus easy access to major mending.
    The issue is that Templars toolkit has been slowly removed and given to other classes over the years, but templars haven't been given anything to compensate for these losses.

So let's look at what the templar identity was that has been given to other classes for a minute.
    Healing - burst heals have been given to every class because only the templar had the OP heal, now it's either on average with other classes or underperformed.
    Burst Damage - nerfed into ground in every way possible. BL too OP, gone. Jabs too OP, useless. Dark Flare too OP, negligible. Blazing Shield too OP, reworked and now useless. PotL too OP, underperformed compared to similar abilities now. Cleanse too OP, heavily increased in cost and other classes have access or better abilities to remove soft CC. Sun Fire too OP, nerfed. Should I really go on...? Okay, Blinding Light way too OP, completely removed but accessible through sets. But Corrosive armor with hybrid changes isn't OP in the exact opposite fashion of blinding light.
    Defense - somewhat balanced, but lacking utility that other classes ALL have access to.

If they want to remove Templar from the game, fine, just do it already. But I put hundreds of hours into mine, plus money for content I did with it. So they'll have to pay me to remove the class.
    The most frustrating thing about making Templar obsolete is just that, time put into my main. I don't have any other toons with near the amount of skill points collected, zones visited, achievements unlocked and comfortability playing with as I do my Templar.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said. With other classes having equivalent burst heals, while sorcs only burst heal is tied to slotting on both bars, DK heal outperforms any heal in the game by having a modifier to low health plus easy access to major mending.
    The issue is that Templars toolkit has been slowly removed and given to other classes over the years, but templars haven't been given anything to compensate for these losses.

So let's look at what the templar identity was that has been given to other classes for a minute.
    Healing - burst heals have been given to every class because only the templar had the OP heal, now it's either on average with other classes or underperformed.
    Burst Damage - nerfed into ground in every way possible. BL too OP, gone. Jabs too OP, useless. Dark Flare too OP, negligible. Blazing Shield too OP, reworked and now useless. PotL too OP, underperformed compared to similar abilities now. Cleanse too OP, heavily increased in cost and other classes have access or better abilities to remove soft CC. Sun Fire too OP, nerfed. Should I really go on...? Okay, Blinding Light way too OP, completely removed but accessible through sets. But Corrosive armor with hybrid changes isn't OP in the exact opposite fashion of blinding light.
    Defense - somewhat balanced, but lacking utility that other classes ALL have access to.

If they want to remove Templar from the game, fine, just do it already. But I put hundreds of hours into mine, plus money for content I did with it. So they'll have to pay me to remove the class.
    The most frustrating thing about making Templar obsolete is just that, time put into my main. I don't have any other toons with near the amount of skill points collected, zones visited, achievements unlocked and comfortability playing with as I do my Templar.

I was running one debuffing set and one buffing set. To match that damage I now have to run two offensive pure damage dealing sets that has made my character squishy.

My other characters I have setup for PVP are also running two offensive sets but do not die as fast because they better defensive tools and heals along with abilities that allow them to quickly turn the tide of any battle. I don't use my other characters other than to get to tier 1 for the transmutes.

My Templar is back to where is he damage wise but I have no survivability now due to a lack of some tools to be more effective.

My biggest issue right now is fighting NB. I love how they can go invisible right in front of me after using radiant magelight to expose them. I mean they are not suppose to be able to go stealth or invisible for 4 seconds but in less than second they all go invisible, this should include potions. There are other things that are broken on a NB currently making them stronger than they should be presently. Did some testing on mine and I'm like really. Can't play a broken OP class.

I like playing my templar still. Why, because I like a challenge and being able to get a kill against other using broken overpowered classes with an inferior class is more rewarding.

On a scale of 1-10 for my current templar build it is about a 6 but I die so much easier now.

Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on December 13, 2022 10:08PM
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars were completely trashed in PvP. They have no damage. Just compare them to NB. Are different classes supposed to have similar chances and damage, or is it a deliberate choice to make Templar have the worst Offense? This is what I am wondering.

I've tried various setups. But you have stage 3-4 NB, and a DB only hits them for 5k, yet they turn around and hit you with a 10-15k assassins' will and 15k Incap.

Or look at pathetic Templar ulti-- sweep-- NB surprise attack or concealed weapon does more damage.

Many things are completely messed up in the game.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Tribune
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Tribune
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At this point Templar being undertuned for no perceptible reason is a core part of my ESO experience :'(
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theignson wrote: »
    Templars were completely trashed in PvP. They have no damage. Just compare them to NB. Are different classes supposed to have similar chances and damage, or is it a deliberate choice to make Templar have the worst Offense? This is what I am wondering.

I've tried various setups. But you have stage 3-4 NB, and a DB only hits them for 5k, yet they turn around and hit you with a 10-15k assassins' will and 15k Incap.

Or look at pathetic Templar ulti-- sweep-- NB surprise attack or concealed weapon does more damage.

Many things are completely messed up in the game.

Agreed with everything you posted. However, Sweeps is actually in-line with Incap, being an AOE over ST. I do agree with the DB situation, because I see that with ALL my toons. DB is garbage now - this is heavily due to the mythics and easy accessibility to DPS/tank builds.

Comparing outside of NB, my Stamsorc is pretty much in-line with what my Templar used to be. High burst potential, decent mobility and decent defense but with trash heals.
    My DK, well just shreds...(I don't have any mythics) Obviously over tuned class at the moment. Minor tweaks are needed, but instead of a nerf to DK, ZOS should bring other classes in-line with the DK's can-do-all-literally playstyle.
    OR, they just go back to having Class identity and roles.

It just really painfully saddens me that I put 5 years of very, very enjoyable playtime into my Stamplar. I leave for two years because of performance issues, come back and the one class I go to for enjoyment in PVP is shelved in Davy Jones' locker.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure it's weaker and needs some of the nerfs reverted, but it's not as bad as y'all describe it.
    i and some other high rank players do fine with it in high mmr bgs, there's videos with it too
    what's worse is that u have to drop some "templar"in favor for some "other skill lines"
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure it's weaker and needs some of the nerfs reverted, but it's not as bad as y'all describe it.
    i and some other high rank players do fine with it in high mmr bgs, there's videos with it too
    what's worse is that u have to drop some "templar"in favor for some "other skill lines"

Running dark flare, meteor and J beam isn't how we want to play plar. Especially for stamplar mains.
    Stamplar had its own identity, now we're being forced into the Dswing setup just to keep our stamplar off the mule shelf.

It really is as bad as we're saying.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As I've said before; it's ironic that the complaint was Templar's were too strong based around Jabs to really being reduced to Radiant oppression even more dependent.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait aren't You playing templar that spends majority of his defense in mist form and than just spams javelin+beam plus some reflective light for the rest of BG while standing behind his team? If yes than this comment above is really ironic as this is excatly what many of people here is complaining about, that templar was pushed into braindead playstyle which while effective is super boring and borderline insultive for the game balance. Many people would gladly see Your playstyle completly gone just for the sake of having something more dynamic that rewards skill input rather than relying on cheesy game mechanics.
    Edited by axi on December 18, 2022 4:54PM
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with this statement. I've been a StamPlar PvP main since Summerset. The recent nerfs hurt pretty bad and I hope to see some corrections in 2023. But I've managed to salvage my build and perform competitively without using any of the cheese that many 'plars are crutching on lately, and it still using mostly class abilities. She ain't what she used to be but she's certainly not useless:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=488398
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wishlist:

Nerf beam and give that power back to POTL. Add Major Breach as well.

Buff Solar Barrage now that Empower no longer works in PvP.

Add 4 seconds of Snare Removal to Cleansing Ritual.

Make Major Evasion available within the class toolkit.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My wishlist:

Nerf beam and give that power back to POTL. Add Major Breach as well.

Buff Solar Barrage now that Empower no longer works in PvP.

Add 4 seconds of Snare Removal to Cleansing Ritual.

Make Major Evasion available within the class toolkit.

I like the idea here but I think POTL is just broken but major breach would be welcome. Would love snare immunity on both morphs. The other 2 would just be nice in so every to make some unused abilities worth considering at least
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just looking through Templar skills and saw Purifying Light and I just started laughing, that skill has ZERO reason to exist.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    axi wrote: »

Wait aren't You playing templar that spends majority of his defense in mist form and than just spams javelin+beam plus some reflective light for the rest of BG while standing behind his team? If yes than this comment above is really ironic as this is excatly what many of people here is complaining about, that templar was pushed into braindead playstyle which while effective is super boring and borderline insultive for the game balance. Many people would gladly see Your playstyle completly gone just for the sake of having something more dynamic that rewards skill input rather than relying on cheesy game mechanics.

yes i use mistform as my main defense, but could use class bubble and would be just as good if not better, accusing braindead playstyle cuz of it it's just wrong.
    and i dont spam "javelin+beam", i have proper spammable. 99% of my bgs are most kills lowest to 0 deaths.

i don't "hide behind team" i am mostly solo player and that's the point of my build to 1vX, u can see my video on youtube from last month and see from my pov, from outside it may look like braindead pillar mistform but nothing is what it may look like
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    axi wrote: »

yes i use mistform as my main defense, but could use class bubble and would be just as good if not better, accusing braindead playstyle cuz of it it's just wrong.
    and i dont spam "javelin+beam", i have proper spammable. 99% of my bgs are most kills lowest to 0 deaths.

i don't "hide behind team" i am mostly solo player and that's the point of my build to 1vX, u can see my video on youtube from last month and see from my pov, from outside it may look like braindead pillar mistform but nothing is what it may look like

I did not accuse You of anything neither did I said playstyle is breaidead just because of mist alone.

I watched that video. It's even worse than I thought. Resto ult and bubble set. And 34k HP, without warden buff... Really no reason to brag about low deaths and high kills. I was also getting high amounts of kills and low amounts of deaths with javelin+beam without building as much defense as You (no mist, no resto, no bubble). That playstyle is cheesy and also very boring. I stopped playing it after like 5-6 matches because how boring yet super effective it was. Yeah it's nice to get like 10-15+/0 KD even in high MMR but it really starts to feel unrewarding pretty quick. Mist+honor the dead is one of the biggest defensive crutches that ESO have atm due to HtD restoring resources while in mist on top of chanelled focus already making mist way easier to maintain. It's kinda silly that after like 7 seconds of continuosly sitting in mist You exited it with more magicka than You had when entering it. With setup like that If You dont want to die You just don't die and to get kills You dont even need to build that much dmg because javelin+beam will carry the day as long as other abilities can take like 50% of enemy's health which isn't hard because people usually don't defend their higher percentages as much as they defend their lower ones when javelin+beam perfectly counters that lower health defense since one is unblockable and seconds is undodgable. And please don't even fool Yourself You would get similar or even better results with a living dark instead of mist.
    Edited by axi on December 21, 2022 11:32AM
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I watched @Sergykid video and he does fine. It's how I expect a player outnumbered to play. Is he in the back sometimes? Sure; but he is a ranged build so you should use that advantage. Thats not much difference to how classic magsorcs would play before, he's just using mist form over streak/BOL and taking advantage of having the better heal, ranged CC, and execute.

Its not the norm though. Most I see are just standing behind a zerg just spamming RO. It's the same people who just spammed jabs before and they are just not as forward to easily deal with. And it looks more like a holy sorc than a holy warrior many of us think of templar as being.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want my jabs back + working POTL with major breach and minor and they can buff burning light damage it was one of best single target damage thing templars have in pvp before combined with POTL.
    Nerf to Major evasion + undeath passive i know people love undeath but this is not how vampire should work picking it only for passive should be impossible. This way maybe templar will return to former glory but this is only I want post it's zos decision after all. Sad
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Circling back to not let this thread die.

I suspect that the PTS is right around the corner. Hopefully it contains the needed fix to backlash and it's respective morphs

Yes, and hopefully a fix to jabs/sweeps as well.
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup this post must live plar need justice.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars will be in the bottom with the devs focus on a new class. We may even see damage adjustment against us for Radiant Glory/Oppression. Templars do need love but I don't see it coming with the up coming updates.

• TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's probably more goal aligned to make others start searching for a new class rather than get Templars satisfied with theirs
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devs adjusted Burning Light and Purifying Light/Power of Light due to the high burst potential that templars had. The burst potential was based on the using Purifying Light or Power of Light first to get 10% spell damage buff, followed up by puncutre sweep or biting jabs, hitting the target within a set window would make burning light go off, and finally Purifying Light or Power of Light would explode and do a good amount of damage.

NB are now the new templars in PVP for killing targets with burst damage. The difference is NB can do it range, land critical hits more often, better buffs, and can easily hide/run away.

At least when Templar was a good melee bursting damage dealer NB had some niche builds for damage dealers which at least aligned to the NB class identity. Templars don't have the class identity right now, instead the class is now the holy damage dealer of afar. LOL...
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I for one won't care if they touch plar anymore so long as Backlash just actually works. I'm confident they won't touch burning light or jabs, but atleast let the delayed burst ability do something more than 3k in pvp.

I've had friends hit no higher than about 4k with 12,000 spell dmg in pvp. What more do they need to do just to make this right?

Yeah, jabs isn't THAT bad right now, it's just not great. I keep saying POTL was the really overnerf. I'm hopeful because I think the new mechanic just didn't mesh with battle spirit and they didn't anticipate that.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I for one won't care if they touch plar anymore so long as Backlash just actually works. I'm confident they won't touch burning light or jabs, but atleast let the delayed burst ability do something more than 3k in pvp.

I've had friends hit no higher than about 4k with 12,000 spell dmg in pvp. What more do they need to do just to make this right?

Yeah, jabs isn't THAT bad right now, it's just not great. I keep saying POTL was the really overnerf. I'm hopeful because I think the new mechanic just didn't mesh with battle spirit and they didn't anticipate that.

Honestly, this could be said about so many of the nerfs and buffs that have happened to a lot of the classes lately. They just don't properly account for the interactions with battle spirit when adjusting skills, hence why a softer touch and not a sledge hammer approach is always needed when adjusting skill values.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Burning light was like 5k for me pre nerf, and my combo was backlash into blazing spear/sweep/stun into jabs to get a alot of burning light procs.

Now they changed it so it procs off all damage not just Aedric abilities which is nice, but It’s kinda crap now. And it doesn’t help all DOTs are garbage damage now too. A least blazing spear initial damage still hits decent