The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mouse problem / Ventura

denisclairetneb18_ESO
The mouse doesn't interact anymore with the menu. Command F doesn't minimise the game window anymore.
  • pierce1215b14_ESO
    pierce1215b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Same situation here, after Ventura the mouse does nothing past launch.
    Edited by pierce1215b14_ESO on October 25, 2022 6:57PM
  • pierce1215b14_ESO
    pierce1215b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Edited by pierce1215b14_ESO on October 25, 2022 6:57PM
  • ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ningauble_7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Full screen mode doesn't get mouse inputs, or proper mouse input focus. Keyboard inputs seem to work fine, so at character select you can hit enter, and once in game you can type /quit to exit.

Windowed mode and Windowed (Fullscreen) mode seem to work still. If you can't get out of fullscreen you can go to the Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live folder and edit the UserSettings.txt file.

Search for:
    SET PreferExclusiveFullscreen
    and change its value to "0" to make ESO launch in windowed mode.

Hopefully ZoS will fix this in a future update, especially if it is broken on the officially supported Intel Macs. (Mine is Apple Silicon)
  • pierce1215b14_ESO
    pierce1215b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Full screen mode doesn't get mouse inputs, or proper mouse input focus. Keyboard inputs seem to work fine, so at character select you can hit enter, and once in game you can type /quit to exit.

Windowed mode and Windowed (Fullscreen) mode seem to work still. If you can't get out of fullscreen you can go to the Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live folder and edit the UserSettings.txt file.

Search for:
    SET PreferExclusiveFullscreen
    and change its value to "0" to make ESO launch in windowed mode.

Hopefully ZoS will fix this in a future update, especially if it is broken on the officially supported Intel Macs. (Mine is Apple Silicon)

Changing the value to 0 worked perfectly, thank you so much!
  • ziggy29
    ziggy29
    ✭✭✭
    I also had to change this line:

**from**
    SET FULLSCREEN_v5 "2"

**to**
    SET FULLSCREEN_V5 "0"

I also just pulled out an Intel Mac that worked with Monterey. I'm going to load Ventura on it and test to see if this affects all Macs or just Apple Silicon, and will report back with the results. [Trying, anyway. It's cranky and the install keeps hanging.]
    Edited by ziggy29 on October 26, 2022 4:15PM
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO
    But windowed (fullscreen) is [snip] as hell on Mac.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 31, 2022 6:50PM
  • Harold_Hedd
    Harold_Hedd
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I have the same problems since today.

I also suddenly have text bubbles when using the A, S, D keys.

zodlfc8uarmc.jpeg
    qga450282hqq.jpeg
    fc45pfvc2g5e.jpeg

Anyone knows how to solve it ?
  • ziggy29
    ziggy29
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I have the same problems since today.

I also suddenly have text bubbles when using the A, S, D keys.

Anyone knows how to solve it ?

Yes. Even before Ventura, this is something that happens by default in Windowed modes (not full screen). Anyway, to resolve it, open a terminal window and enter the following command:

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false

Then you need to log out and back in to make the settings take effect. And if you ever need these back, you can reverse it by changing "false" to "true".
    Edited by ziggy29 on October 26, 2022 4:07PM
  • Harold_Hedd
    Harold_Hedd
    ✭✭✭
    SOLVED
  • Harold_Hedd
    Harold_Hedd
    ✭✭✭
    You can get rid of the visible menu bar in the game window, and make it appear to be Fullscreen..

In System Settings => Desktop & Dock => Menu Bar => Automatically hide and show the menu bar => Always

But I do miss the Fullscreen mode and I hope it will be solved in a short time.
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO
    You can get rid of the visible menu bar in the game window, and make it appear to be Fullscreen..

In System Settings => Desktop & Dock => Menu Bar => Automatically hide and show the menu bar => Always

We have to use more and more workarounds just to have an acceptable game experience. I won't change the way I use my Mac just because of ESO. Today is too much. It is quickly becoming a scam, this game is less and less compatible with macOS.

They are not officially sunsetting the game for Mac users but it's a war of attrition now.
  • ComfortablyDummb

We have to use more and more workarounds just to have an acceptable game experience. I won't change the way I use my Mac just because of ESO. Today is too much. It is quickly becoming a scam, this game is less and less compatible with macOS.

They are not officially sunsetting the game for Mac users but it's a war of attrition now.

Yup, I've stopped paying for ESO Plus and will not pay for it again until it is fully compatible again. It's unacceptable that I can launch it remotely from my console into my Mac better than I can with the native launcher.
  • BrokenAccidentalStar

Yup, I've stopped paying for ESO Plus and will not pay for it again until it is fully compatible again. It's unacceptable that I can launch it remotely from my console into my Mac better than I can with the native launcher.

Same here re: cancelling Plus. I was already frustrated about the total radio silence about the bug with Xbox controllers (which literally have native macOS support), but this mouse input issue is a game-breaking one for me. A simple statement that they're looking into it would be groundbreaking at this point.
  • Ironheart
    Ironheart
    ✭✭
    The same problem here!
    My iMac Pro its running great.
    I hope Zenimax solve the problem ASAP.

I am very angry, I also pay the entire price and not just a share.

• BrokenAccidentalStar
    Cross-posting a temporary workaround that I shared on Reddit the other day:
    1. Start ESO from the launcher in windowed mode.
    2. Open your web browser (or any other software that has native macOS fullscreen support, i.e. the green button at the top left of the app's window expands it to fill your screen).
    3. Hover your mouse over this green fullscreen button and click "Tile Window to Left / Right of Screen" (either side is fine). The other side of the screen should now be showing zoomed out versions of all other open windows and let you click which one you'd like to fill the second half of the screen with. Click the ESO window, which should expand it.
    4. Close the non-ESO window on the other half of the screen via its red X button in the top left corner. This should expand ESO to fill the screen and keep the mouse input functional.
    The annoying thing about this is that it demonstrates that ESO works just fine with the native macOS fullscreen mode, but for some reason the fullscreen button in the top left corner of the ESO window has been disabled. Either way, definitely not "resolved" by any means.

Also,
    ziggy29 wrote: »
    I also just pulled out an Intel Mac that worked with Monterey. I'm going to load Ventura on it and test to see if this affects all Macs or just Apple Silicon, and will report back with the results. [Trying, anyway. It's cranky and the install keeps hanging.]
    I can confirm that Intel Macs are affected as well: I'm running ESO on a 2017 Intel MacBook Pro.
    Edited by BrokenAccidentalStar on October 31, 2022 4:02PM
  • ziggy29
    ziggy29
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that Intel Macs are affected as well: I'm running ESO on a 2017 Intel MacBook Pro.

Wow. You know what this almost certainly means? They never bothered to test this on Ventura while it was in beta, even at the most basic compatibility level. (If they had, they likely would have announced that the game is partially broken on Ventura.) I know they are abandoning Mac owners over time, but wow. They can't even test very basic compatibility with a new version of an operating system they at least should nominally support based on the published system requirements.
    Edited by ziggy29 on October 31, 2022 7:09PM
  • ComfortablyDummb

Wow. You know what this almost certainly means? They never bothered to test this on Ventura while it was in beta, even at the most basic compatibility level. (If they had, they likely would have announced that the game is partially broken on Ventura.) I know they are abandoning Mac owners over time, but wow. They can't even test very basic compatibility with a new version of an operating system they at least should nominally support based on the published system requirements.

I mean, are any of us surprised? They put out a statement dropping support for ARM based computers before people even took delivery of them and showed that emulation was not a big issue. They never hid the fact that they just don't care about the Mac users.
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO
    On the PC side, it seems there are a lot of problems too. We'll see if they at least pretend to give a f... about Mac customers. Not that I havre high hopes though.
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Following this thread. I won't update to Ventura for the time being. Really, I'm more angry at Apple than I am at ZOS.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO
    Following this thread. I won't update to Ventura for the time being. Really, I'm more angry at Apple than I am at ZOS.

Stockholm syndrom ?
  • keatos
    keatos
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem here, Ventura on Mac Studio. Can't be a ventura problem because one would guess other games would have the same problem.

World of Warcraft works perfectly fine, looks like i'll be playing more of that till they fix the ESO client's mouse interaction bug
  • Thepeug
    Thepeug
    ✭✭✭
    Same issue here. Game is currently unplayable. Glad I quit paying for Plus a few months ago.
    Leeching Plate ftw
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO
    In the patch notes, we can see they are fixing a lot of bugs. But nothing for Mac users. They continue to advertise the game on Steam for macOS, when will it become a legal liability ?
  • Higuchi
    Higuchi
    ✭✭
    Also faced that mouse/touchpad problem on MacOS Ventura... and this thread saved my "gaming" soul :D
    Thank you!
    Still, it's sad that these things happen... Hope they'll fix the issue
    NA Server 📚 MacOS 🐾
    Naofumí The Arcanist / Goellean (gameID: @Alien.101)
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭
    This is still broken. I'm assuming they don't have a ticket on this or it's not in the backlog to fix for Ventura.
  • Athnae
    Athnae
    ✭✭
    From today's macOS Ventura update (13.1): "- Fixes an issue where you may lose keyboard and mouse input in some apps and games".

Has anyone had a chance to test if this solves the problems with ESO?
  • thedocbwarren
    thedocbwarren
    ✭✭✭
    Athnae wrote: »
    From today's macOS Ventura update (13.1): "- Fixes an issue where you may lose keyboard and mouse input in some apps and games".

Has anyone had a chance to test if this solves the problems with ESO?

I'll give it a try.
  • Squatch4x4
    Can anyone verify the latest patch notes? Been waiting to update my MBP because of this issue.

Mac Game Client
    Fixed an issue affecting mouse inputs that could prevent players on macOS Ventura from advancing past character select.
  • Master_Fluff
    Master_Fluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game client still needs to be added to the Accesibility section of the System settings on the latest version of Ventura, otherwise the playercharacter and the gameworld spins like crazy. I just tried it with a half-new character.
    Edited by Master_Fluff on December 20, 2022 5:35PM
    Halcyon Black
  • denisclairetneb18_ESO
    And the problems with screen resolutions ?