Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Making friends

Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
✭✭✭✭✭
Sometimes I wonder why it's worth it, yet I still go back for more...

Made friends with two new players... turns out they were a couple... great, no problem.

So I donate 1 million to each of them... and 3000 crowns to one who just HAD to be an Imperial.

Now I'm unfriended.

Thought I would have learned my lesson by now, but nope.

No more assistance. Am I really so gullible? Appparently so.

And no, I'm not giving anyone anything.

You try to be nice and help but I'm seriously sick of being a sucker.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on October 9, 2022 1:39AM
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better to teach someone how to earn things than to freely give things to them. In this way they can appreciate the value of the things they earned.

This doesn't apply to crowns, which is bought with one's own hard earned IRL cash. To be honest, giving crown to players you just met is a step too far. Even the gold amount was quite excessive for new players who will not know what to do with that much gold.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artim_X wrote: »
    Better to teach someone how to earn things than to freely give things to them. In this way they can appreciate the value of the things they earned.

This doesn't apply to crowns, which is bought with one's own hard earned IRL cash. To be honest, giving crown to players you just met is a step too far. Even the gold amount was quite excessive for new players who will not know what to do with that much gold.

Yep, I'm a sucker. But no more... I'm over it.

You try to be a good person and this is what you get... once too many times.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Knowledge is more valuable than giving gold or items. I will spend 5-10 minutes with a new player who begs for stuff and explain writs, hirlings, professions, research for gear and training for horses.
    As for making friends...join a social guild. Friends are people who receive the gift of your company, not your pocketbook.
    You don't need to buy people's affection. Just be a genuine person who listens and has fun with others. You'll be swimming in friends.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge is more valuable than giving gold or items. I will spend 5-10 minutes with a new player who begs for stuff and explain writs, hirlings, professions, research for gear and training for horses.
    As for making friends...join a social guild. Friends are people who receive the gift of your company, not your pocketbook.
    You don't need to buy people's affection. Just be a genuine person who listens and has fun with others. You'll be swimming in friends.

I give knowledge - I don't just throw gold at people.

I am a genuine person.

I've been playing for 7 years... of course I've been in social guilds. I don't do well in large groups due to my depression/anxiety. People are just inclined to take advantage - I'm sorry if this sounds negative but it's true.

Anyway, I'm no longer helping anyone.

This is just my way of venting my frustration. I won't make further comment, it just sucks.
    Edited by Snowy_Wyndra_Karn on October 7, 2022 2:37PM
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah why would you give them that much. I've paid for some new players mounts, but that's it. Specially giving crowns...
  • Triplesixtyson
    Triplesixtyson
    ✭✭✭
    Just make friends with people that dont want anything but friendship as well. And remember, your online, its very hard to actually get to know someone. There are so many great people out there in eso, just take your time and dont jump in head first thinking youve made the best of friends. Dip your toes in the water and protect yourself from getting hurt. Im sorry this happened to you.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You are just too generous.
    I like helping new players, even giving them like 50k or 100k gold is ok, or some spear motifs/recipes and they are very thankful...at the beginning. Whenever they need help they will message you but you won't hear from them otherwise.
    I know about it, I got a few of those on my friendlist.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • WithMyLaserGun
    WithMyLaserGun
    ✭✭✭
    delenn35 wrote: »
    Artim_X wrote: »

Yep, I'm a sucker. But no more... I'm over it.

You try to be a good person and this is what you get... once too many times.

There is a big difference between "being a good person" and not setting healthy boundaries for yourself when it comes to giving stuff to people you barely know. Keep being a good person, but tone it down. Take several weeks to get to know people, give them small gifts if you feel the need to give gifts at all. People will like you for WHO you are, not what you give them.. if they are only liking you because you give them stuff then you're attracting entirely the wrong sort of people.

Don't give up, just tone it down <3
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everyone else. Showering someone with crowns or gold isn't a great way to make friends, it doesn't show any common interests (beyond playing ESO, but you already know you have that in common) or give much of an opportunity for conversation or playing together. It could also be very awkward for the recipient if they have no way to reciprocate.

If you want to make friends with other players it would be better to just chat to them, answer their questions and offer to help them complete activities. One of the best things someone did for me when I was new was took me through a dungeon and actually gave me time to complete the quest - reading, listening to the NPCs, not just clicking to close the boxes ASAP.

(And like giving gold it may be necessary to hold back from what you could do and settle for what they want or need. I've seen some people 'help' new players by blazing through everything so fast they barely get to see there was a boss they missed fighting, and that point it's not really fun for anyone.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • rootkitronin
    rootkitronin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think part of the problem is that you're not giving the gift with no strings attached, you're expecting something in return.

I feel that if you're going to gift something to someone, it should be done without any expectations of any sort of return - I'm giving it because I want to give it, end of story.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's rude to not be appreciative or grateful when someone does something for you or gives you something (in most situations at least), but not everyone thinks the same way, and it's important to understand that too.

In the end, I'm choosing to do something because it's something I wanted to do for someone else. What they do with that, that's up to them.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me of a situation I found myself in with a guildie once, only he was the too generous one.

We were in the same Trade guild and he linked a nice furnishing pattern he had just found. I asked if he was going to sell it and we agreed on a price. In appreciation I made the first item as a gift to him and this was the beginning of a friendship.

The very next day we were talking and I mentioned I was considering a race change from Orc. I barely finished typing that and got a notice that he gifted me a race change token. This made me uncomfortable and I told him it was too much. He replied "You don't understand. I have trouble making friends."

This was only the first in a long string of gifts and every time I refused one I got a big "Sigh." I made it clear several times that I did not want gifts and he told me if I didn't let him give me things we weren't really friends because that is what friends do. So I walked away and we no longer speak.

The bottom line of this story is obvious... we can't buy friends. Also being a good person is not measured by how many things we give away.

Edit: I want to add that I really enjoyed his company and we had fun talking and running around together. If it hadn't been for his constant need to try to make me happy with things we could have had a great friendship.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 7, 2022 5:32PM
    PCNA
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Made friends with two new players... turns out they were a couple... great, no problem.

So I donate 1 million to each of them... and 3000 crowns to one who just HAD to be an Imperial.

Now I'm unfriended.

Hey delenn35, first of all Good on You for being a cool person and trying to help people.

My suggestion is to -let them have it- for they have their reward. By rewarding your good with evil they have been given an opportunity to reveal the types of people that they are by their own action, regardless of what they might have said otherwise.

Move on and just take care of you first. But at the same time, please remember, that there are still good people in the game who genuinely need help and its always good to help out if you choose to.

Let them have their fluff but you have a nice day knowing that unlike others, you have demonstrated that you are -not- a greedy shade of a person and money does not dominate your life. :) Which is quite the compliment I believe.
    Edited by Vulkunne on October 7, 2022 5:22PM
    "I know that someday that sun is bound to shine." -Ella Fitzgerald
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @delenn35

I am curious. Did you offer these gifts or did they ask for them?
    PCNA
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my experience, money has a way of poisoning relationships, so I try to keep the two as separated as possible, within reason. It appears, though, that the OP didn't really make two new friends, as a real friend wouldn't behave like that. I agree with what many people already said: go easy on the gifting, especially if it involves real money. You want people to like you for who you are, not what you have to give them. Good intentions are no excuse for not being prudent and with new people you always need to be cautious until they've earned your trust (and vice-versa).
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @delenn35 I would contact @ZOS_Kevin and file a report against those two players... they could very well be potential scammers.. scamming people of crown crates.

• Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience, money has a way of poisoning relationships, so I try to keep the two as separated as possible, within reason. It appears, though, that the OP didn't really make two new friends, as a real friend wouldn't behave like that. I agree with what many people already said: go easy on the gifting, especially if it involves real money. You want people to like you for who you are, not what you have to give them. Good intentions are no excuse for not being prudent and with new people you always need to be cautious until they've earned your trust (and vice-versa).

So I agree with the general idea here, you are not wrong. The only thing I might add, to maybe add a little more perspective from my original post... Now you say that good intentions are no excuse for being prudent and people you know, people need to earn your trust, ok.

The only thing is this. There are some people I've met in the game who *sigh* I really feel its not my place to judge them. They are poor, I was once poor so I know how it feels to have nothing or you know, trying to get your start. I grew my economy originally off selling blue motifs however there was a certain person who helped many of us new players out with things we needed. He had no reason to trust us, we didn't know him and he knew our situation without expecting too much from us. So he would craft weapons/armor and give freely to new players, really went a long way towards inspiring us to greater things by giving us either samples or sometimes full sets. Was a real nice fella who expected nothing in return, his goal was to share of his abundance to help 'raise' many of us new players on the mean streets of Auridon.

I think @delenn35 what you should do, my suggestion, and after this I'll say no more, is decide why you gave to these folks. I am not playing role and I am no better than anyone else but in giving sometimes you have to understand that the person you're giving to may not be able to reward you back. And that's what you need to think about. If you gave to gain these players friendship and they you know, left you in the cold then yeah submit a ticket and have ZOS maybe pay you back or perhaps they can even get some of the wealth back.

If you gave out of the abundance of the heart then you don't need a reward from them. Its not their place to reward you as they are in no position to do so. However, you decide. I do think you should think about this further when you have the time to do so to help decide how you wish to handle further interactions with similar players as well as to ensure you fully understand your motivations for giving or trading, or whichever, which will help in the long run.

Thanks for listening and gl. :)
    Edited by Vulkunne on October 9, 2022 12:46AM
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »

So I agree with the general idea here, you're not wrong.

The only thing I might add, to maybe add a little perspective from my original post...

Now you say that good intentions are no excuse for being prudent and people you know, people need to earn your trust, ok.

The only thing is this. There are some people I've met in the game who *sigh* I really feel its not my place to judge them. They are poor, I was once poor so I know how it feels to have nothing or you know, trying to get your start. I grew my economy originally off selling blue motifs however there was a certain person who helped many of us new players out with things we needed. He had no reason to trust us, we didn't know him and he knew our situation without expecting too much from us. So he would craft weapons/armor and give freely to new players, really went a long way towards inspiring us to greater things by giving us either samples or sometimes full sets. Was a real nice fella who expected nothing in return, his goal was to share of his abundance to help 'raise' many of us new players on the mean streets of Auridon. (I recently retired from AD but anyways that's besides the point.)

I think @delenn35 what you should do, my suggestion, and after this I'll say no more, is decide why you gave to these folks. I am not playing role and I am no better than anyone else but in giving sometimes you have to understand that the person you're giving to may not be able to reward you back. And that's what you need to think about. If you gave to gain these players friendship and they you know, left you in the cold then yeah submit a ticket and have ZOS maybe pay you back or perhaps they can even get some of the wealth back.

If you gave out of the abundance of the heart then you don't need a reward from them. Its not their place to reward you as they are in no position to do so. Yet, it will come in time. I mean for example, *sigh* I know personally someone with like 300+ Million Gold ok. Now, he can certainly do what he wants with it and he earned it. But seriously what are you going to do with that much gold when there's so many people that you could, if you decide to, help who genuinely need the help. Personally, I have no idea what he plans to do with 300 Million gold but if hoarding gold means more than helping his guild and his friends then that to me is more a reflection on him and you say I need to earn this person's trust? We're calling him prudent for putting himself and his ego ahead of the community that helped him amass that wealth? Fam, I don't need anything from this guy. He has nothing to give me. No one wants to say this but the dude is really more of like a giant vacuum cleaner whose always surfing TTC flipping prices upwards. That's one reason everything in this game is so expensive is because of 'market players' like him. Though some might say the same about me, alot of people would be better off if he left the game. And no I'm not the only person who has mentioned this. :)

However, you decide. For my part I have no friends, lots of associates but my trust is not something anyone has yet been able to earn. And you should understand this as well that when you give to someone, you have no idea how that relationship is going to work out. I treat everyone with the same level of civility and respect and expect no less. Yet I don't expect everyone to agree with my views so you can do what you will. I do think you should think about this further when you have the time to do so to help decide how you wish to handle further interactions with similar players as well as to ensure you understand fully your motivations for giving or trading, or whichever, which will help in the long run.

I've helped people by sending them intricate items or crafting training gear. But I've also seen people who just want to leech from others. Prudence is to give yourself time to see if the one you're helping will still value you for who you are, not what you have. Prudence is to avoid opening yourself up too much before you know the other person well enough. Unfortunately, OP's experience was so negative they're hurt and considering no longer helping anyone. The point is that by being more patient and careful, it's possible to be helpful and make real friends.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaikaNA wrote: »
    @delenn35 I would contact @ZOS_Kevin and file a report against those two players... they could very well be potential scammers.. scamming people of crown crates.

This doesn't sound like a scam. These players took advantage of the OP's generosity but that doesn't violate any of the terms of service.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 8, 2022 2:11AM
    PCNA
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I might add, to maybe add a little perspective from my original post...

Now you say that good intentions are no excuse for being prudent and people you know, people need to earn your trust, ok.

The only thing is this. There are some people I've met in the game who *sigh* I really feel its not my place to judge them. They are poor, I was once poor so I know how it feels to have nothing or you know, trying to get your start. I grew my economy originally off selling blue motifs however there was a certain person who helped many of us new players out with things we needed. He had no reason to trust us, we didn't know him and he knew our situation without expecting too much from us. So he would craft weapons/armor and give freely to new players, really went a long way towards inspiring us to greater things by giving us either samples or sometimes full sets. Was a real nice fella who expected nothing in return, his goal was to share of his abundance to help 'raise' many of us new players on the mean streets of Auridon. (I recently retired from AD but anyways that's besides the point.)

If you gave out of the abundance of the heart then you don't need a reward from them. Its not their place to reward you as they are in no position to do so. Yet, it will come in time. I mean for example, *sigh* I know personally someone with like 300+ Million Gold ok. Now, he can certainly do what he wants with it and he earned it. But seriously what are you going to do with that much gold when there's so many people that you could, if you decide to, help who genuinely need the help. Personally, I have no idea what he plans to do with 300 Million gold but if hoarding gold means more than helping his guild and his friends then that to me is more a reflection on him and you say I need to earn this person's trust? We're calling him prudent for putting himself and his ego ahead of the community that helped him amass that wealth? Fam, I don't need anything from this guy. He has nothing to give me. No one wants to say this but the dude is really more of like a giant vacuum cleaner whose always surfing TTC flipping prices upwards. That's one reason everything in this game is so expensive is because of 'market players' like him. Though some might say the same about me, alot of people would be better off if he left the game. And no I'm not the only person who has mentioned this. :)

However, you decide. For my part I have no friends, lots of associates but my trust is not something anyone has yet been able to earn. And you should understand this as well that when you give to someone, you have no idea how that relationship is going to work out. I treat everyone with the same level of civility and respect and expect no less. Yet I don't expect everyone to agree with my views so you can do what you will. I do think you should think about this further when you have the time to do so to help decide how you wish to handle further interactions with similar players as well as to ensure you understand fully your motivations for giving or trading, or whichever, which will help in the long run.

I've helped people by sending them intricate items or crafting training gear. But I've also seen people who just want to leech from others. Prudence is to give yourself time to see if the one you're helping will still value you for who you are, not what you have. Prudence is to avoid opening yourself up too much before you know the other person well enough. Unfortunately, OP's experience was so negative they're hurt and considering no longer helping anyone. The point is that by being more patient and careful, it's possible to be helpful and make real friends.

Alright that sounds good, no problem. My only thing is if I decide to give to someone its because I'm providing what they need regardless of who they are. You mention leeching, ok yeah some folks will do that. But even if they are leeching, chances are good at some point its still not going to be enough right. You know like pan handlers on the side of the road. I can give them something, maybe they have a job too or what have you, but at some point pan handling alone or otherwise leeching is not going to cover them forever.

Again you are not wrong. But rain falls on good and bad people much the same way. Its my place to help provide its not my place to judge. And that is why I either give or don't. Even if they're leeching maybe they doing it because they can't provide for themselves at that moment. Perhaps things will change later.

Hah I dunno I've been every role here. I've been poor, I've been a leech, I've been well off, ultra rich even, I've seen it all and end of the day people in need are people too. You know I just see them as people in need and its up to them to work hard and to make the most of things. I mean I've been a leech before. Not for long typically but it happens. Which is one reason I try to give something meaningful back. Sometimes people have it hard and depending on the situation they deal with things their own way I guess.
    Edited by Vulkunne on October 8, 2022 2:15AM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I help in small ways, answer a question, toss some mats to someone who asks, craft an item, help with a Boss etc.

I will show people how to earn gold instead of giving it to them. Gifting Crowns? Only my RW Wife gets my hard earned bucks. And she does not play this game...
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I help in small ways, answer a question, toss some mats to someone who asks, craft an item, help with a Boss etc.

I will show people how to earn gold instead of giving it to them. Gifting Crowns? Only my RW Wife gets my hard earned bucks. And she does not play this game...

I am exactly the same!
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Alright that sounds good, no problem. My only thing is if I decide to give to someone its because I'm providing what they need regardless of who they are. You mention leeching, ok yeah some folks will do that. But even if they are leeching, chances are good at some point its still not going to be enough right. You know like pan handlers on the side of the road. I can give them something, maybe they have a job too or what have you, but at some point pan handling alone or otherwise leeching is not going to cover them forever.

Again you are not wrong. But rain falls on good and bad people much the same way. Its my place to help provide its not my place to judge. And that is why I either give or don't. Even if they're leeching maybe they doing it because they can't provide for themselves at that moment. Perhaps things will change later.

Hah I dunno I've been every role here. I've been poor, I've been a leech, I've been well off, ultra rich even, I've seen it all and end of the day people in need are people too. You know I just see them as people in need and its up to them to work hard and to make the most of things. I mean I've been a leech before. Not for long typically but it happens. Which is one reason I try to give something meaningful back. Sometimes people have it hard and depending on the situation they deal with things their own way I guess.

We're not disagreeing much, but I think I should clarify what I meant by "leech". A leech wants instant gratification instead of actually working for what they want and they don't care about the person helping them. An example: many months ago someone in a guild asked for gold. Several people offered advice on how to easily earn it, and the sum wasn't even that high. The reaction? The person started insulting those who tried to help and kept doing so in whispers even after being kicked. Your posts seem to indicate you have too much of a conscience to actually be a leech.
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This doesn't sound like a scam. These players took advantage of the OP's generosity but that doesn't violate any of the terms of service.

They could be doing this to other players.

The definition of a scam is this: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation.

It sounds like a scam to me... deceiving someone into believing that they're friends just to cash in on the rewards (gifts), and then ghosting them after the gift was exchanged is a scam. ZOS needs to be let know of these two players' behavior so that nobody else can become a victim of their scheme.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They could be doing this to other players.

The definition of a scam is this: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation.

It sounds like a scam to me... deceiving someone into believing that they're friends just to cash in on the rewards (gifts), and then ghosting them after the gift was exchanged is a scam. ZOS needs to be let know of these two players' behavior so that nobody else can become a victim of their scheme.

The OP hasn't clarified if they came to him and asked for these things or if he offered. The things he said in his original post indicated that he has been generous and had it backfire on him other times also.
    PCNA
  • Living_Tribunal
    Living_Tribunal
    ✭✭✭
    Meh I don't play this game to make

Lol what??? This fellow wasnt being scammed. They freely gave their stuff away. They should have used some wisdom in giving those crowns away. Stop trying to make this person the victim. Smh
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OP you are a good person.

Unscrupulous people who take advantage of others always get their comeuppance. Always.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I'm unfriended.

gad damn bruh, i can be your friend, i have no friends in real life! -jokes aside, Wait untill you know ppl for a bit longer before wasting crowns.

Like holly molly, how do ppl find friends that donate this insane ammounts of crowns and stop being friends? No love for kindness i guess, i have been unemployed for years so i value any kindness, but even has a kid i valued a lot, maybe i'm just diff idk, but it's weird for me how someone can take stuff for granted like this.

Just understand has a adult it's hard to make friends, people are too focused on their lifes and themselves to care about friendships unfurtunaly.
    And if you plan on having friends, test them. try talking about some of your problems, if they don't care or run away it ain't worth it.
    Pointless to waste time with people who have no empathy for others, ya know what i mean?

Granted i can't give much advice because again i have no friends, haven't had friends for years now.
    Edited by francesinhalover on October 8, 2022 10:58AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait untill you know ppl for a bit longer before wasting crowns.

I would take that a step further and say don't be giving anyone crowns. No real friend would expect that and it may make them uncomfortable to be seen as someone who can be bought.
    PCNA
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their messages and input.

I also wanted to clarify that it's not the gold or the crowns (ok, maybe the crowns a little but I never give crowns if there is something I want - I always put myself first this way). Gold is gold though, right? If you've been playing a while (and I've been playing for 7 years), gold is not hard to come by. I remember when I started out and I had nothing. In those early days, gosh I stole and stole day after day until I no longer had to. But yeah, gold is nothing really to a long-term player. On top of this, I like to help people - it's just who I am.

I wasn't scammed, but thank you to the person who suggested I was. It made me feel like maybe I was not at fault here but at the end of the day, it was my fault entirely; I freely offered up these items.

I guess the thing that gets me most is that I was just ghosted. I really didn't expect their friendship - in fact, it was me who was a little on the wary side due to past experiences. They were/seemed very eager, especially one of them. I wanted to hold back a little considering they were a couple. Then nothing. That's what stings. I would have hoped for something along the lines of... appreciate your help and all the best. I have given many times before to other players and expected nothing. Giving is not expecting anything in return... maybe a little bit of decency? Is that wrong? I am desperate but not desperate enough that I think... I'll give this person something and then they will be my friend - PLEASE BE MY FRIEND!!! ;)

I am ok and just needed to vent at the time, but thank you for being supportive and not shooting me down. That means the world.