The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

High Isle event and companions

Treselegant
Treselegant
✭✭✭✭✭
Finding out that legendary companion gear drops only happen if you have Ember and Isobel active has killed any interest I had in this event. I do not like either companion and so do not use them at all. It pretty frustrating to be forced to use them so that I can gear up the Blackwood companions who I actually use. Why is my companion choice being taken away here? Is it not enough players are involved in the event - why is this a thing?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on October 4, 2022 1:29AM
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first saw that, I was like “they’re trying to encourage people to buy high isle chapter”. But then I realized that the only people who can even participate in the event are people who already have the chapter. So I dunno…
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only place legendary companion gear is mentioned is the boxes-within-boxes end-of-event reward, whose contents are bind on pickup. It does not mention that a companion is required (or required to be active) for those. Separately it is stated that companion gear drops from event boxes with Isobel or Ember active. It does not specify that those event box companion gear drops are going to be legendary.

Was it found to be that way on the PTS, or are these rewards being conflated?
    Edited by virtus753 on September 28, 2022 4:24PM
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »
    The only place legendary companion gear is mentioned is the boxes-within-boxes end-of-event reward, whose contents are bind on pickup. It does not mention that a companion is required (or required to be active) for those. Separately it is stated that companion gear drops from event boxes with Isobel or Ember active. It does not specify that those event box companion gear drops are going to be legendary.

I was recommended a video by Hack the Minotaur which mentioned it, so I maybe wrong about the gear being special quality. However, the real issue is that the companion gear will only drop if a High Isle companion is active.
    Companion gear

Ember or Isobel must be your active companion
    - from the event page. Confirmed by ZOS_Kevin.

It takes away a little bit of player agency here. Why should I have to use companions I don't ordinary use to get companion gear for the ones I do?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I was recommended a video by Hack the Minotaur which mentioned it, so I maybe wrong about the gear being special quality. However, the real issue is that the companion gear will only drop if a High Isle companion is active.
    Companion gear

It takes away a little bit of player agency here. Why should I have to use companions I don't ordinary use to get companion gear for the ones I do?

Short answer: to sell High Isle, which is the entire point of the event.

It does take away player choice, yes. But “play how you want” is always subjected to restrictions and gameplay mechanics implemented by ZOS, many of which are aimed at selling content.
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It does take away player choice, yes. But “play how you want” is always subjected to restrictions and gameplay mechanics implemented by ZOS, many of which are aimed at selling content.

I do think this is the most blantant I've seen for a while. 'Play how you want' definitely has its limitations but pressing players to play with particular companion characters in order get rewards seems a little much. Definitely doesn't improve how I feel about High Isle, that's for sure.
    Edited by Treselegant on September 28, 2022 4:59PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well if you recall when they had the last free eso+ weekend earlier this year (which included blackwood), it explicitly excluded companions (mirri and bastion) from being useable with the eso+ trial

so the companions to them are major selling points for the chapter, even one that was a year old at the time of the trial
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really see the problem. Legendary Companion Gear only has a chance to drop from 1 box per day. So, you literally only have to have Ember or Isobel out for like 10 seconds, or the time it takes to hit the button to turn in the quest and open the box.
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I don't really see the problem. Legendary Companion Gear only has a chance to drop from 1 box per day. So, you literally only have to have Ember or Isobel out for like 10 seconds, or the time it takes to hit the button to turn in the quest and open the box.

Yes, but you see...if its so small a thing, why is it being forced in the first place? The companion gear is for all companions so why can't you use whatever companion you prefer to achieve it? I don't like using Ember and Isobel, I really can't stand them, they don't vibe with me at all, so normally I don't use them, why should I have to for this event? I know it's not the biggest problem right now but it feels like the event organisers are trying to push these companions on you whether you like it or not. Let players have a tiny bit of agency ya know?
    Edited by Treselegant on September 28, 2022 9:10PM
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Companion gear

But that doesn’t really make sense as the only people who can participate in the event are people who have High Isle. Once you have already bought the chapter, why does it matter whether you use the High Isle companions or the Blackwood?
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the legendary gear will be bound? I have a feeling it will be. I won't waste my time if that's the case.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's such an odd requirement. As Wolf_Eye says it can't really be to encourage High Isle sales because you can't do the event without it, so then what's the point?
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Treselegant I agree with you. Mirri is my companion of choice and without you posting about this would have done the event with her - thank you! :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I believe to get companion gear from the event boxes, you need Isobel or Ember active only at the moment you open them (the boxes, not the ladies, as that might be a bit gruesome). So you can go about your business with your follower of choice and only summon one of the two newcomers when opening the reward coffers.

Reason for this reasoning (derp): during the Undaunted event, I'd bind new pieces of gear before opening the reward coffers and, as a result, always got stuff that wasn't in the stickerbook. The only time I forgot to do that, I naturally got a repeat.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe to get companion gear from the event boxes, you need Isobel or Ember active only at the moment you open them (the boxes, not the ladies, as that might be a bit gruesome). So you can go about your business with your follower of choice and only summon one of the two newcomers when opening the reward coffers.

I really don't understand why this is a thing. If you don't even have to do the quests with them or properly interact with them - then why make this requirement in the first place. It would be equally silly if they did this for Blackwood events. Feels like the they're are trying to make me try something 'in case you might like it' which is daft because you don't get players liking things by making the thing a chore.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be on the safe side, I'd already have Ember/Isobel out before turning in the quest that yields the box. Otherwise, I agree with the scenarios above.

HOWEVER, this rule still means that one needs to do at least one of the Isobel or Ember quests on EVERY character one uses in the event, or else miss out on rewards. That interferes with how I like to play events that focus on daily repeatable quests.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The way it's formatted on the site it looks like it only pertains to getting companion gear.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding out that legendary companion gear drops only happen if you have Ember and Isobel active has killed any interest I had in this event. I do not like either companion and so do not use them at all. It pretty frustrating to be forced to use them so that I can gear up the Blackwood companions who I actually use. Why is my companion choice being taken away here? Is it not enough players are involved in the event - why is this a thing?

If the rewards are in the box, just make sure the High Isle companion is out when you open it. Or even when you turn the quest in or whatever. If you don't like those companions, you don't have to have them out ALL the time.

On high isle, Ember liked the delve daily and Isobel the WB daily, I just switched them out when I had to turn them in.

Bastian liked the Mage daily and Mirri the fighters guild daily. Again, I just made sure the right ones were out on those quest turn ins.

When out adventuring, I had whoever I wanted with me.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I really don't understand why this is a thing. If you don't even have to do the quests with them or properly interact with them - then why make this requirement in the first place. It would be equally silly if they did this for Blackwood events. Feels like the they're are trying to make me try something 'in case you might like it' which is daft because you don't get players liking things by making the thing a chore.

Well, you only get companion loot if you have a follower active. I'm not happy about their decision to require Ember or Isobel active if you want gear from the boxes, but at least there's some precedent for requiring a companion to be active.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think "it's the High Isle Event, let's give them something cool for using the High Isle Characters," was about the extent of the thought put into it.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on September 28, 2022 11:54PM
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the first I've heard of legendary companion gear... like gold companion gear?

Please someone who actually knows, is this really a thing? I am doubt.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BahometZ wrote: »
    This is the first I've heard of legendary companion gear... like gold companion gear?

Please someone who actually knows, is this really a thing? I am doubt.

I initially got the two things mixed up. There will apparently be Legendary Jewelry for companions from the event but not from the daily boxes as I initially thought. Still, the daily boxes are supposed to contain high level companion equipment so still important if you're after purple gear.

• phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think they want to limit the amount of legendary companion gear that is available to artificially inflate the value of them so making them only come from the hoarding box is the most likely only source to acquire, but can still get any existing quality (green, blue, purple) companion gear from the once per day boxes while Ember or Isobel is with you.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if the legendary companion jewelry is bind on pickup.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can only loot companion gear while a companion is active in general so its assumed to be required to have them active
  • Dangranma_Burgrukgad
    Dangranma_Burgrukgad
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see more and more things that seems only made to annoy people, really wonder what is going on with the game management.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    High Isle event; High Isle companions. There is a logic to their decision.
    But of course it's not going to please everyone.

PC/NA Warden Main
    • Jaimeh
      Jaimeh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think this is the most blantant I've seen for a while. 'Play how you want' definitely has its limitations but pressing players to play with particular companion characters in order get rewards seems a little much. Definitely doesn't improve how I feel about High Isle, that's for sure.

Yup the event is to sell High Isle since presumably by now sales will have quieted, so it's tailored to give them a boost. Same for ESO+ since they are giving a pet just for subs. None of the things in game don't have a monetization plan somewhere along the line (take seals for eg., when they got introduced, stuff bumped up a tier in crates to cause more gem spending--everything is calculated :sweat_smile:). As for the companion gear just remember to activate them before handing in the quest and that should be fine.
    • Dragonredux
      Dragonredux
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      This isn't the first time they had a chapter-specific event, but it's kind of weird that High Isle is the chapter centered around companions and not ToT.

Also, it sounds like easy money to make for me because it's like not purple or gold gear will fix the numerous problems with these bootleg pets gameplay-wise.
    • Treselegant
      Treselegant
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      MrLasagna wrote: »
      I see more and more things that seems only made to annoy people, really wonder what is going on with the game management.

Yes, this was my thought as well. I mean ok, this is a decision but it is a stupid decision, why bother? I was pretty sedate in my feelings about the game until High Isle was released and since then it just seems one thing after another. I just want to be able to play the game in peace without my gameplay being constantly interferred with due to someones bright idea.
    • Gaebriel0410
      Gaebriel0410
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Even if you have to use a certain companion for the entirety of the quest, it's just.. for a 2 week long event.

It's such a small thing, I wouldn't have any problems with it even if I were required to use Ember, who is still like level 1 or so, to do it.
    This discussion has been closed.