Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mouse movement?

sopngeo
sopngeo
this is probs a obvious question, but I really dislike the locked camera mouse movement style set-up, is there any way to change this to a more tradition style mouse cursor type like GW2 ect?

Thanks
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is possible to free up your mouse to use the UI, but that's it. For combat your mouse is locked.
    That's just how the game works, there's no way to change that.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • sopngeo
    sopngeo
    Inversus wrote: »
    It is possible to free up your mouse to use the UI, but that's it. For combat your mouse is locked.
    That's just how the game works, there's no way to change that.

ahh okay fair enough! it'll be some getting used to! haha
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, if they hadn't have kept that feature TES fans would probably have rioted.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • sopngeo
    sopngeo
    Yeah, if they hadn't have kept that feature TES fans would probably have rioted.
    yeah, I thought maybe they might have been the option to change it somewhere that I missed.

• dispatcher505_ESO
    The period key " . " toggles between mouse mode. Not sure if you can use the mouse for movement at that point or not. But, being a combat style attack system, it would need to be locked like it is I would think.
    Edited by dispatcher505_ESO on March 30, 2014 9:22PM
  • reddog1948
    reddog1948
    ✭✭
    Not being able to use the mouse for movement is BS. I used the E,S,D keyboard method back in the 1970's because a mouse was not yet available. Combat casts, blocks, strikes using a keyboard is perfect (at least for me.) But not being able to move forward via mouse control just does not make it for me. Also not being able to scan the area with a mouse pointer is also "1970's." Come on at least update your interface to the 2000's.
  • Bob
    Bob
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. I cant even turn around my camera without mad fighting with a middle mouse button... >:)

And I always lose this fight after 5-7 sec. :#
  • Bob
    Bob
    ✭✭✭

Make it optional for the rest! btw Im a Skyrim fan, but this is MMO after all...
  • mill5034
    mill5034
    This is a game breaker for me. I think I will be seeing how the new WoW expansion is. Let me know when I have more control over my UI and can actually target people.
  • Djangoh
    Djangoh
    Soul Shriven
    I dislike mouse controlled steering of my character. I like being able to look around me while running and this feature ruins that for me. It also gives me a little motion sickness. I prefer the option of being able to move via keyboard only with the mouse only controlling the camera. Options are better than none at all.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, can you use a joystick on a PC? Or would that be more of the same problem (never tried it myself).
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can make some changes, for example you could bind the default attack to a keyboard key and then bind run forward to one of the moue buttons (it might even be possible to bind it to left + right) which would give you a movement system similar to GW2's system of holding both mouse buttons to move.

The cursor is trickier. There is a key which toggles it on but many actions, including moving, turn it off. It might be possible with a programable mouse or keyboard to set up a simple script that would automatically toggle it on most/all the time. But I'm not sure if that's allowed in the TOS and I'm also not sure if it might cause problems like being unable to move the camera while the cursor is on screen. It would definitely take some experimentation to get it right.

But I also recommend giving the existing system a chance. I came to this game from GW2 as well and at first I really struggled with the controls. (Complicated by the fact that I got Dragon Age: Inquisition around the same time which has similar controls to both but is again slightly different.) But then I struggled with GW2 at first as well because before that I always used click-to-move.

Now I've got controls I like in all 3 games. There are some similarities (for example I have auto-run set to the same button on my mouse in all 3) but I've found I actually like to have some differences too because although at first glance they play quite similarly there are important differences which I don't want to be thinking much about in combat, and having different controls helps me rely on muscle memory matching up the game I'm playing and the options available instead of trying to do something that's not possible. (Otherwise I end up constantly crouching when attacked because I've been playing too much DA:I and expect Ctrl to pause the game.)

(Incidentally after 3 years of seeing regular topics on the GW2 forum complaining that it doesn't have a control system more similar to what ESO uses, especially the camera and targeting system, and how people have rigged up various legal and illegal mods to create one it's interesting to see that it does go both ways.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm reading it right, Djangoh necro'd this a year after the last post. :D
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops, yeah. I completely missed that. I actually checked the dates but just saw March and April, the 2014 part didn't register. :D
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"