The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sorcerer with Dagger

blue_peaceful_Manticore
In almost best builds e see Sorcerer with Dagger.... and for me this is real sad (Mage with daggers?!)
Whats the diference of damage when you use daggers or staff? 20k?

Update 38 will be what?
Orc DK Healer with Bow and 2 handed wepons?
Does Zenimax take hybrid to far?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on September 30, 2022 2:25AM
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Orc dk healer with bow is completely possible just saying

In regards to immersion consider Battle mages when you see that sorc thingy.
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on September 28, 2022 9:30AM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    have you seen the 3rd optional boss in shipwright's regret? sorc with daggers slaps.

no one ever said you had to use a staff to use sorc class abilities (sorry wardens)

you lose range in exchange for a small dps bump. in some fights you want range (like killing grapes in vCR), so staves are still viable.
  • Bhaalthazar
    Bhaalthazar
    ✭✭
    Every time I see this kind of comment, I keep thinking about Gandalf.
    k6346pbjumdp.png
  • blue_peaceful_Manticore
    k6346pbjumdp.png

Don't you even dare call Gandalf "Mage" lol! The best magic he have is the Inner Light lol
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    k6346pbjumdp.png

My my Gandalf, what a very big "dagger" you have there!
  • Sambucca1973
    Sambucca1973
    ✭✭✭
    I just started using daggers on my magsorc’s front bar. Playing around with lightning/ice staff on back bar. It’s kind of fun as a change, plus can do ranged and melee fighting. Had to take a couple of points out of magicka and put them in stamina and have left CP alone. So far, the adjustment has been pretty easy.

Lore/sense wise, once I got into him being a battle mage and not just a sorcerer, it felt fine.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stamsorcs exist too!! But yeah, daggers do a lot more damage than staves right now iirc. Doesn’t mean they’re the only option since you can’t always be melee but you definitely can be melee in a parse.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorcerers have no skill that grants them "Empower" (increasing heavy attack damage by 80%).

As a result, heavy staff attacks hit like a wet noodle since U35.

To compensate this, you would need to get Empower like that:
    - use Oakensoul ring
    - use Queens Elegance set
    - level up Mages Guild to level 9 and then use at least one of their skills, as one of the passives grants empower.

Even with empower, the attacks are somewhat weak, so in addition you might get the set Sergeants Mail from wayrest sewers.
    Or avoid heavy staff attacks, and use the staff only to weave in light attacks in your skills.

Daggers increase your crit chance, so if you have a crit chance of more than 50% already with a staff equipped, the further increase can help in extreme endgame, but for most other content it won't make much difference.
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnKor wrote: »
    In almost best builds e see Sorcerer with Dagger.... and for me this is real sad (Mage with daggers?!)
    Whats the diference of damage when you use daggers or staff? 20k?

Update 38 will be what?
    Orc DK Healer with Bow and 2 handed wepons?
    Does Zenimax take hybrid to far?

daggers increase crit chance, that's why
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVP, daggers give Stamsorcs access to Whirling Blades, aka "SPIN TO WIN."

It is by far the most overpowered aoe execute that gets spammed like mad in PVP.

You don't really have to aim it. You don't really have to time it. Any get's below 1/3 on health -- run in their general direction and SPIN SPIN SPIN!
  • Kingsindarkness
    Kingsindarkness
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Templar that uses med armor a two handed sword and I always tank

Come at me bro. :D

Edited by Kingsindarkness on September 28, 2022 10:19PM
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorcerers have no skill that grants them "Empower" (increasing heavy attack damage by 80%).
    - level up Mages Guild to level 9 and then use at least one of their skills, as one of the passives grants empower.
    - in addition you might get the set Sergeants Mail from wayrest sewers.
    Do that, add infallible mage
    Cast fire rune and HA, the end 'pop' does reasonable damage, if your tank can get all the adds bunched up it's AOE as well. If, like me, one of your toons is a HA mage its worth a punt.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Mage in Oblivion fought with a Sword and Shield over a staff due to how staves in that game worked. Also could cast spells with your hands full as you'd throw the spells out anyways, and having a shield on hand to block and an enchanted silver blade to deal with ghosts and other undead was always helpful.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Jamie_Aubrey
    Jamie_Aubrey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it 2016 again ? No one uses dagger son Magic Sorcs anymore, you used to on the back bar for extra damage, unless you are up in someones face your not getting any light or heavy attacks done

This is PVP I'm talking about, PvE I guess it would work better
    RETIRED FROM ESO
    PC/EU
    Former Empress & Grand Overlord Vex Valentino
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bow Sorc is still up there along the biggest PvP threats in the game, just takes a bit of skill to get the hang of.
    *This message was brought to you by the Bow Father Marrochir*
    Edited by dinokstrunz on September 29, 2022 2:59AM
  • Memory_In_Motion
    Memory_In_Motion
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just started using daggers on my magsorc’s front bar. Playing around with lightning/ice staff on back bar. It’s kind of fun as a change, plus can do ranged and melee fighting. Had to take a couple of points out of magicka and put them in stamina and have left CP alone. So far, the adjustment has been pretty easy.

Lore/sense wise, once I got into him being a battle mage and not just a sorcerer, it felt fine.

orc stam sorc with daggers and bow.. np

redguard stam warden healer with 2h and resto staff.. np resto staff has healing passives

argonian stam warden with 2h and bow.. np

play as you like
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In TES4 a lot of mages used daggers, because they were too weak to use heavier weapons. When they ran out of magicka, they would start using dagger as a weapon.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post