The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

I found a way To TIME Travel the Fourms!!

WiseSky
WiseSky
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
ESO has more then 5K general discussion forum pages...

If you wish to See what ESO players were talking about you can do a neat trick

Enter this
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/general-discussion/p

Then after the p add a number from 1 to 5474 and you will travel to that page

For Example here is Page 5017 ...
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/general-discussion/p5017

Where someone said during a joke contest:
I have several funny jokes.

1. ESO will be F2P by the end of the year
2. Wildstar will kill ESO
3. ArcheAge will kill ESO
4. WoD will kill ESO

Hahaha

OR Page 4225 where someone requested a DPS Dummy to be added to the game and people laugh at them

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/general-discussion/p4225

OR page 3235 Where A Poll was asking people how much would they pay for a House in Crowns... the Poll's max option is 6K
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/304902/how-much-crowns-would-you-pay-for-a-house#p1

And I found great posts about how the ESO game is Dying lol
Game is dying 2014
Where is everyone, they all left 2015
Everyone LEFT the game 2016
Games Dead! 2017
Where is everyone 2018
Where is everyone 2019

You get the point :trollface:
Edited by WiseSky on August 31, 2022 5:49AM
Immersive Quests Addon
Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
List of Immersion Addons
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This better not cause massive amounts of necroed threads.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya but it does demonstrate a few things..

1. The game is not dying no matter if ALL 3 people think it is!
    2. ZOS does listen to requests even if it does take some time to get them added!
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thread necromancy in general on any forum of any topic is often caused using google to find a relevant thread. Rather easy to miss checking the date.
  • quadraxis666
    quadraxis666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »

Forum mods HATE him! Check out this one neat trick!

• kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used advanced search and put in a date I want to go back to and if interested in something in particular a key word.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    8u7kczksewjq.gif
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »

giphy.gif
    TherealHämähäkki
  • OnnuK
    OnnuK
    ✭✭✭
    kqccrk6urs1u.png
    Data from steamdb... May not reflect all players...

People criticize the patches because they want this game to be #1. Don't you want precious ESO to have an upward trend? We suggest/criticize/praise because we care...
    PC/EU @onnuk, Guild: ANADOLU "|H1:guild:29269|hAnadolu|h"
  • Smoky
    Smoky
    ✭✭✭
    OnnuK wrote: »
    kqccrk6urs1u.png

People criticize the patches because they want this game to be #1. Don't you want precious ESO to have an upward trend? We suggest/criticize/praise because we care...

Those high numbers were during lockdown and dip as we all started to be allowed back out again. Only my opinion but I think that would quite possibly be a normal trend for a lot of games over that timeframe.
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kqccrk6urs1u.png

That means nothing.. summer holidays and back to school etc etc right now are priority for many families over gaming.. Ive seen this same conversation every year in every game since 1996 ultima online!
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sinnereso wrote: »
    Ya but it does demonstrate a few things..

1. The game is not dying no matter if ALL 3 people think it is!
    2. ZOS does listen to requests even if it does take some time to get them added!

Not necessarily. As with all things finite there will come a day when the game is actually dying. Just because people say "the game is dying" and have been wrong about it doesn't mean the game can't still die.
    I think the main difference between then and now is that now it's entirely different groups of people saying that the game is dying than before.
    Eitherway the game won't vanish over night. If ESO is going to die, it will probably be from a slowly and steady loss of players and income which will at one point make it difficult to invest the necessary amount of profit back into the game, leading to a decline in content and a downwards spiral. Some say that spiral has already started. I would like to believe that this isn't the case and that ZOS can turn things around by simply making a bunch of good updates in a row.

The only reason ESO might be dead over night is because ESO2 has been released and you could migrate your accounts if you already owned ESO1. But that's not really dying anyway.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Okay, in order:
    1. April, 2014. Someone says "Game is dying" during the month the game was released. Yes, the game was dying when the game released. It had massive bugs, lag, broken quests, etc. The game was also level gated; monsters and their levels were specific to where they spawned, so you had to go through the game linearly. There was no end game zone (craglorn) yet, and wouldn't be released for a month after launch. It was also a mandatory sub service rather than buy then play free. There was no CP, VR only went to 12 I think on launch though I might be mistaken, but VR had no real use aside from gear and clout.
    2. October, 2015. One Tamriel was released 1 year before this. This removed the mandatory sub service, added an optional sub service with the crafting bag, and removed the level-gated nature of ESO. CP was added about 6 months before this as well. The game wasn't dying at this time.
    3. July, 2016. Wrothgar is out and guess what? There's a bug that causes characters to get stuck in the Wrothgar zone with no way out... And it didn't get fixed for 6 or 7 weeks I believe? This was due to a transition in the devs at ESO. The old team was making way for the new team that we know (for the most part) today, and even though it was a major bug, it couldn't be patched. People were pissed and taking a break from the game. Not a dead game (it could have been if the bug was left unfixed for much longer), but a slow game at this time due to a major bug.
    4. October, 2017. Marrowind released 3 months prior... At this point, Cyrodiil servers are chugging and a large portion of the PVP community is taking a break to never return since it only got worse and worse until literally when they added new servers a few months ago. Still not perfect, but not as bad. Worse, people are taking a break from the game due to the massive shift in direction they took with the marrowind update and their stance on survivability, sustain, and how your resources effect your overall damage. Remember how I said there was a bug in July of 2016 that wasn't fixed due to the transition to the new dev team? Well here was their phase 1 of blanket changes to the combat system.
    5. November, 2018. Murkmire was just released. It's the tail end of the year-long cycle, and Necromancer isn't even going to be announced for another 2 and a half months at the earliest. Not dead, just a sleepy time for the game.
    6. March, 2019. The console update for the first update of the year just hit, so the game is empty on consoles. It's 2 months out from the release of Elsweyr and the new Necromancer class, so people are anticipating it, but not playing the game as much since it's just the quiet before the storm.

That explains those "The game is dead" threads.
    Edited by merpins on August 31, 2022 10:16AM
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kqccrk6urs1u.png

That means nothing.. summer holidays and back to school etc etc right now are priority for many families over gaming.. Ive seen this same conversation every year in every game since 1996 ultima online!

This graph shows several years. Summer holidays should not be a factor in this. I think you could blame it all on covid because as things have opened up again outside, people spend less time indoors playing games again. According to this chart we are now at the same amount of player activity pre-covid, so if it continues to go down now... Yeah, that should be worrying. I think it's already a bit worrying that ESO didn't retain any of the new players gained over the covid period. You'd normally expect this graph to not return to pre-covid levels but settle for a new average slightly above what it was pre-covid. It's not that dramatic, but it is reason to be concerned.

We should probably compare ESO's graph with other graphs from games that got a similar spike at the start of covid (so not WoW lmao).
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    kqccrk6urs1u.png

This graph shows several years. Summer holidays should not be a factor in this. I think you could blame it all on covid because as things have opened up again outside, people spend less time indoors playing games again. According to this chart we are now at the same amount of player activity pre-covid, so if it continues to go down now... Yeah, that should be worrying. I think it's already a bit worrying that ESO didn't retain any of the new players gained over the covid period. You'd normally expect this graph to not return to pre-covid levels but settle for a new average slightly above what it was pre-covid. It's not that dramatic, but it is reason to be concerned.

We should probably compare ESO's graph with other graphs from games that got a similar spike at the start of covid (so not WoW lmao).

Keep in mind that the relative portion of the playerbase using steam login likely continued to change during this timeframe. I would have expected a larger share of players beginning the game at the start of the pandemic to get it via steam, which would mean less drastic changes in the overall pc playerbase. But I also was under the impression that the steam population share likely went up independently of that, in which case we'd already be looking at less pc players than at the beginning. In the end we are just missing some crucial information.
    Edited by ToRelax on August 31, 2022 10:37AM
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    kqccrk6urs1u.png

Keep in mind that the relative portion of the playerbase using steam login likely continued to change during this timeframe. I would have expected a larger share of players beginning the game at the start of the pandemic to get it via steam, which would mean less drastic changes in the overall pc playerbase. But I also was under the impression that the steam population share likely went up independently of that, in which case we'd already be looking at less pc players than at the beginning. In the end we are just missing some crucial information.

Well, google trends and twitch stream category charts all point in a similar direction. ESO definitely lost players/interest since the peak at the start of lockdown. The question is just whether that loss is due to people not having the time anymore or whether ESO did something wrong to lose them. Since we have evidence pointing in both directions it's a bit inconclusive as of right now. We'll know more next year. My guess is it's a bit of both.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

Please have mercy on us.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Forum mods HATE him! Check out this one neat trick!

As a mod another game forum I can verify this! It's really a darned if you do and darned if you don't scenario here. We tell people to use the search function before posting a new thread, then the new poster takes that advice, finds the topic he wants (from several years ago), he posts in that topic, it gets locked for necro and he's told to post a new thread. It's almost like a CIA PsyOps exercise lol.
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    merpins wrote: »

Okay, in order:
    1. April, 2014. Someone says "Game is dying" during the month the game was released. Yes, the game was dying when the game released. It had massive bugs, lag, broken quests, etc. The game was also level gated; monsters and their levels were specific to where they spawned, so you had to go through the game linearly. There was no end game zone (craglorn) yet, and wouldn't be released for a month after launch. It was also a mandatory sub service rather than buy then play free. There was no CP, VR only went to 12 I think on launch though I might be mistaken, but VR had no real use aside from gear and clout.
    2. October, 2015. One Tamriel was released 1 year before this. This removed the mandatory sub service, added an optional sub service with the crafting bag, and removed the level-gated nature of ESO. CP was added about 6 months before this as well. The game wasn't dying at this time.
    3. July, 2016. Wrothgar is out and guess what? There's a bug that causes characters to get stuck in the Wrothgar zone with no way out... And it didn't get fixed for 6 or 7 weeks I believe? This was due to a transition in the devs at ESO. The old team was making way for the new team that we know (for the most part) today, and even though it was a major bug, it couldn't be patched. People were pissed and taking a break from the game. Not a dead game (it could have been if the bug was left unfixed for much longer), but a slow game at this time due to a major bug.
    4. October, 2017. Marrowind released 3 months prior... At this point, Cyrodiil servers are chugging and a large portion of the PVP community is taking a break to never return since it only got worse and worse until literally when they added new servers a few months ago. Still not perfect, but not as bad. Worse, people are taking a break from the game due to the massive shift in direction they took with the marrowind update and their stance on survivability, sustain, and how your resources effect your overall damage. Remember how I said there was a bug in July of 2016 that wasn't fixed due to the transition to the new dev team? Well here was their phase 1 of blanket changes to the combat system.
    5. November, 2018. Murkmire was just released. It's the tail end of the year-long cycle, and Necromancer isn't even going to be announced for another 2 and a half months at the earliest. Not dead, just a sleepy time for the game.
    6. March, 2019. The console update for the first update of the year just hit, so the game is empty on consoles. It's 2 months out from the release of Elsweyr and the new Necromancer class, so people are anticipating it, but not playing the game as much since it's just the quiet before the storm.

That explains those "The game is dead" threads.

ESO was a disaster at launch. Walked away from the game for 6 months, returning after reading about One Tamriel. Wonder sometimes if ESO would have survived without the change to One Tamriel, non compulsory sub, so forth.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my first thought, too.
    PCNA
  • ZOS_Suserial
    ZOS_Suserial
    admin
    Hi,

If you want to take a stroll down memory lane, that is fine. If you do find a subject that you would like to bring back, please start a new thread. Bringing back a dead one may bring back with it out of date information, closed subjects, etc. Also, please check if it already has an up-to-date thread.

Have fun, and thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Community Rules | Code-of-Conduct | Terms-of-Service | ESO-Home | ESO-Help
    Staff Post