Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Captain Helane (Spoilers)

ShinChuck
ShinChuck
✭✭✭
How did YOU handle things?
"It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • The_Drexill
    The_Drexill
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let her die like a dog.
    Brandizzle - NB
    Drexill The Unbreakable - Sorc

For teh covenant.
  • habbahen
    habbahen
    let her live
  • Joziah
    Joziah
    I showed compassion and let her live.
  • CelticMarauder
    I let her die because that was the lesser evil in my opinion. Showing compassion to her and letting her live basically dooms countless more sailors (and whoever else happens to get in her way) to death and torture at her hands. I wish (and I provided feedback during beta stating as much) that there was a third option: kill her instantly. It prevents her from inflicting further suffering, while avoiding sinking to her level to do so.
    Cool like the scales of Auri-El.

"Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. And it's beautiful... and funny... and good." -Aaron Davis, Latter Days
  • Kroin
    Kroin
    ✭✭
    She is a evil women, so i let her die.
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    I let her die because that was the lesser evil in my opinion. Showing compassion to her and letting her live basically dooms countless more sailors (and whoever else happens to get in her way) to death and torture at her hands. I wish (and I provided feedback during beta stating as much) that there was a third option: kill her instantly. It prevents her from inflicting further suffering, while avoiding sinking to her level to do so.

My wife went the opposite, but said the same thing. She spared her grudgingly because she didn't want to leave her to die in a brutal fashion, but then said she wished she could have just driven a sword through her instead.

Lerisa notes, "I hope the next crew she shipwrecks and murders appreciates your soft heart."

I wonder if Bethesda kept that option out just to make the decision harder?
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • ManiacMcLaughton
    All of the "This choice or that" choices you see in this game are HARD because they are one or the other... they leave out the middle road and make you decide. The Baelborn quest line is the same.... neither choice is right... you have to decide which one is least distasteful.
  • snaekolf
    snaekolf
    Totally let her die. Didn't feel bad at all. As said before, she was evil.
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    I let her live out of self interest. It may turn out she has value down the road.
  • CelticMarauder
    All of the "This choice or that" choices you see in this game are HARD because they are one or the other... they leave out the middle road and make you decide. The Baelborn quest line is the same.... neither choice is right... you have to decide which one is least distasteful.
    Yup, I figured that's what they're going for, and this feature in general is one of my favorite aspects of the game. Captain Helane's situation, however, seems less realistic than most others I've encountered. The sane, logical option is removed in order to artificially limit you to two unsavory choices. It slightly decreases immersion, in my opinion. The choices in the Baelborne quest and at the end of Betnikh (sp?) both seemed to me to be far less arbitrary than this one.

"Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. And it's beautiful... and funny... and good." -Aaron Davis, Latter Days
  • CelticMarauder
    For the record, though, I would make the exact same choice if I went through this quest again. She's way too dangerous to be left alive.

• ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, I figured that's what they're going for, and this feature in general is one of my favorite aspects of the game. Captain Helane's situation, however, seems less realistic than most others I've encountered. The sane, logical option is removed in order to artificially limit you to two unsavory choices. It slightly decreases immersion, in my opinion.

I'm with ya. Why can't we just put her out of her misery? That's the simplest, and a completely reasonable choice, not to mention other potential options (say, arresting her, over just letting her go free!).
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are multiple options available, but, yes, you're shoehorned into two, just for ease of programming. Limits the responses from NPCs.
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Sihnfahl wrote: »
    There are multiple options available, but, yes, you're shoehorned into two, just for ease of programming. Limits the responses from NPCs.

With all the multi-threaded options in the game for far lesser situations, though, there's really no excuse here, particularly when the choices are so contrived.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I let her live for my character's RP purposes.
    I whole heartedly disagree on Baelborn. I see one of those outcomes as tragic, and the other cautiously optimistic. The thing is, the game doesn't let you easily tell which is which. If you're not familiar with, in my opinion, the better outcome, you might feel satisfied with the other conclusion.

Several of these choices are going to feel like a wash, and they are. Others have an outcome that some may feel ideal, and can even effect what NPCs you see later on.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Traisa
    Traisa
    ✭✭✭
    Let her die. She didn't give any mercy to those she was torturing.
  • Rytfield
    Rytfield
    ✭✭✭
    Let her die, no shame.
  • warbaby2
    warbaby2
    Yup, let her die, since my char is kind of a free spirit with her own moral code... she deserved what she got.
  • foxsyd
    foxsyd
    ✭✭✭
    I let her die. And glad I did, talking to one of the sailers that I rescued later, he told me at least he still has one good hand to hold his mug :(

Don't forget, she was torturing her captives .
    Join my guild!
    "Thank Sanguine its Fredas"
    North America Server, Ebonheart Pact, PVE/PVP, friendly & funny community. Welcomes all types of players!
    Preachers of #TeamIsland - Share your adventures and screen caps on our Facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/268541133324278/
  • Bunzinator
    Bunzinator
    Soul Shriven
    No antidote for her! Mind you, Lerissa's choice of weapon was arguably as 'evil' as Helane her self.
    "You have spirit in your eyes. I may take those from you when this is over."
  • MistryssNite
    MistryssNite
    ✭✭✭
    In the beta, I let her live, mainly because I didn't read through all the dialogue about her evilness. And, I was more forgiving. But, yesterday, I decided she should suffer. She is pure evil and would surly kill and torture again. Plus, she would come after my new friends for revenge, and perhaps even me.
    Current main: Pe'tra
    Female Khajiit Templar of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Feel free to join her in questing ^.^
    It's just been a morning of death
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let her die.

There was going to be vomit and i'd just made some shiny new shoes so I got out the door as quick as I could.

• Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment."

In addition

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

I take this to heart and try to live this way, even in a video game. Always choose mercy, my friends. It conditions your heart for the future.

There is always room for redemption in others, who knows, maybe the mercy will effect her heart and she will go on to save others and be a kinder, better person?
    Edited by Ravinsild on April 2, 2014 9:50PM
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ravinsild wrote: »
    There is always room for redemption in others, who knows, maybe the mercy will effect her heart and she will go on to save others and be a kinder, better person?

I still say let her die.

Two things could happen. She sees the error of her ways and goes on to give free hugs to all she meets or nothing changes and you end up responsible for the deaths of countless sailors ... on top of the deaths of the countless people you'll slaughter throughout your ESO life.

Safer bet to let her thrash around in agony until she kicks the bucket.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let her die then corpsejumped her until I got kicked to loading screen for pushing the same button too many times.
  • Ariane
    Ariane
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking:

"I'm going to let her live, so she can think of what she's done. Hmmm, where's the antidote? Oh, here. Ok, I'll take it. Hmmm, where's the captain? There's too many people here, I can't see her. Maybe she's outside..."

I crossed the door to find her and then a message poped up: "You let Captain Helene die, talk to Larissa" or something like that.

So, I guess I "chose" to let her die >.<
    Edited by Ariane on April 2, 2014 10:24PM
    "I am not an Argonian. I am a crocodile"
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Beagle wrote: »
    I let her live. In fact, I am letting everyone live and show them compassion. Until I got to some quest in a place full of orcs that had me torture and interrogate prisoners and even execute them. Not really sure what that was all about but I didn't even read the dialogue and try to get them to tell me the truth, I had them all executed.

:'(
    You... you could have just threatened the queen that you would hurt her daughter if she didn't give the secret up. You didn't have to kill anyone. (I think the same thing works going the other way with the daughter.)

• ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Ravinsild wrote: »
    "Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment."

In addition

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

I take this to heart and try to live this way, even in a video game. Always choose mercy, my friends. It conditions your heart for the future.

I tend to lean this way!

I know a lot of people wanted to be able to finish her off instead of a slow, painful death, but in that case, I still may have spared her. It would have been nice, a pleasant medium if, since she was already defeated, we could just arrest her or something!
  • Cydramech
    Cydramech
    ✭✭
    As a Chaotic Good/Neutral person myself, I took the antidote and played a random dice game. She died, and I was hoping for additional dialog after letting her die by taking the antidote.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it's any consolation, that was just s vision of the past. You didn't really change any events and those people died long ago in the story.