The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Templar VFX Update

Nevidyra
Nevidyra
✭✭✭✭
We've all seen the controversy surrounding the recent change to jabs, and the complete and utter divide surrounding the new animation and 'spear' used for them. I don't think we'll ever reach a point where everyone is happy, but I think most of us that even DO like the new spear can agree that the Nighthollow Staff isn't a good fit for the class. It's a vampiric motif, and Templar is an Aedric, Holy, Light-themed power fantasy and the two don't mesh together. That, and it looks like a gigantic paddle.

That being said, instead of just saying "this looks terrible," I'd like to provide a different option that fulfills the same goal of 'updating' the visuals that ZOS has, whilst maintain the class' identity we've all known and loved for years. I think the Imperial Champion staff, seen below, would be a MUCH better alternative visually for jabs+sweeps. I'd also like to ask if toppling charge, javelin, crescent sweep are going to be updated as well.

But please, give us the Imperial Champion staff for our animations instead of the Nighthollow. It looks like an Aedric weapon (instead of a Vampire one), and a SPEAR to boot.

unknown.png
-PC/NA/AD-
CP 1k+

Immortal Redeemer [✅]
Tick-Tock Tormentor [✅]
Gryphon Heart [✅]
Godslayer [WIP]
Dawnbringer [N/A]

• Nevidyra
    Nevidyra
    ✭✭✭✭
    -PC/NA/AD-
    CP 1k+

Immortal Redeemer [✅]
    Tick-Tock Tormentor [✅]
    Gryphon Heart [✅]
    Godslayer [WIP]
    Dawnbringer [N/A]

• xthrshx
    xthrshx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree the Imperial Champion motif is less insulting than the Nighthollow staff. But that change alone is not enough to salvage jabs. The animation itself is trash. It’s amateur. It gets every single aspect of spear animation wrong. Like, could they really not even be bothered to watch a 10-second clip of someone thrusting a spear? The whole thing is such an insult to people who love this class. Slapping on a less-bad staff motif isn’t going to fix that.
  • Vahndamme
    Vahndamme
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. . I said this from beginning. It's the best motif if you wanna use a motif that is.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I am too old and set in my ways. Perhaps it really is time to go away. But current jabs or nothing.

That is my red line.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The link doesn't seem to work so...

AysgQJU.jpg

Here is the Nighthollow Staff, for reference.

iIHgOV3.jpg

• Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I applaud your attempt to be positive lol.

I'm a little confused though by the part where you said "those of us that do like the new spear"... and then proceeded to propose changing basically everything about the new spear lol.

I agree the Imperial champion style would be a much better fit. ( Assuming ZoS hasn't made enough money off of subs and crown sales to actually spend more than 2 hours making an updated unique animation that is)
  • Vahndamme
    Vahndamme
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    The link doesn't seem to work so...

AysgQJU.jpg

Here is the Nighthollow Staff, for reference.

iIHgOV3.jpg

When you look at the pictures you also see Nighthollow is waaaaaay too long, the other motif is shorter. I've heard plenty of complaints that the "new animation" is too long like the spear/staff is way too long. Especially when the rotation happens around the body (which makes no sense) .. Old animation made way more sense. They just gotta do it properly and not give us some half assed animation really.. + bring jabs/sweeps on par with rapid strikes in terms of spreadsheet damage. Sure jabs/sweeps is aoe and rapid strikes ST but jabs/sweeps = class ability, it's supposed to be stronger than generic weapon spammable. Nerfing both Burning Light, jabs/sweeps damage AND the animation is just a dead sentence for Templars. Could've easily just tuned down jabs/sweeps and let the rest do it's thing.
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, of all the motifs to recycle instead of coming up with something new, a vampiric motif is one of the most asinine. It shows whoever suggested this and whoever approved either cares little or knows little about the entire theme and lore behind templars.
  • Ariordin
    Ariordin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I basically came back to the forums to protest the Jabs change, and completely agree that the new jabs looks like a necromancer skill with a color change.

I have two goals:
    • Four of the Aedric spear abilities all share the same spear animation prior to U35. The new jabs breaks the skill line because it stands out like a sore thumb. So goal one is consistency across skills. Update them all or none of them!
    • The new animation, being a necromancer themed weapon does not fit in the Templar them what so ever. A Necromancer is the anti-thesis of Templar. Goal two: please, if you need to create a new animation for game play reasons, create one that fits a TEMPLAR.