Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Death of Balreth bugged.

nateedubs
nateedubs
Soul Shriven
My wife and I completed "The Death of Balreth" but were unable to leave. Now, the boss has respawned but the NPC doesn't assist us, which renders the fight impossible. I've sent in a ticket.

Beware of this quest.
  • jbaslarub17_ESO
    I was able to defeat him, nothing happened so I left the instance, and now it is just his dead corpse with no way to finish the quest.
    Zin - The lonely Dragon Knight
  • Crowigor
    Crowigor
    ✭✭
    same problem
  • samp122
    samp122
    Aye, same problem here. I went in, killed him, and now it tells me to contain his soul, but there is nothing to contain! I can leave and come back, but nothing changes.
  • adlplumbingb16_ESO
    same
  • Pan
    Pan
    same here. Tried to restart quest and it didn't helped.
  • Gamma_Wolf
    Same problem here, I killed Balreth but I am unable to leave Ash Mountain, character is stuck with no way to continue playing :(.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys! Our team is currently investigating this issue. In the meantime, you can contact a GM in-game by typing /help, and they should be able to help you get un-blocked.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Arcane_Vengeance
    Have you tried reloading the UI, restarting the game client or clicking repair client? Those options are the best things to try first if you come across something that appears bugged.
    • Reloading UI
    • Type /reloadui in the chat bar
    • Restarting the game cient
    • Exit & reopen client
    • Repair Client
      • Open Launcher
      • Look for the GAME OPTIONS (under GAMES/NEWS bar. Center of Launcher window)
      • Click GAME OPTIONS
      • Click REPAIR
    Edited by Arcane_Vengeance on March 30, 2014 7:08PM
  • Vroumish
    Vroumish
    We had the same issues with a few friends. Killing balreth and nothing happening. We tried reloading the UI, restarting the client, leaving et reentering the instance, nothing worked.

I abandoned the quest but haven't been able to get it back since. Does anyone knows where I can start it again ?

Edit : found it ...
    Edited by Vroumish on March 30, 2014 7:55PM
  • jamfort76_ESO
    I abandoned the quest after I killed him. Now when I zone in he isnt there and it still says contain his spirit.
  • Synikil1113
    Synikil1113
    Soul Shriven
    killed him, waited around till he was contained...got stuck, checked forums said contact a GM to get unstuck....he respawned while waiting, ran around trying to kill him a second time, got tired of dieing so hid behind the wayshrine thing...the npc helper guy spawned again also and was fighting him...logged out and when i logged back in the portal that i spawned in at originally was back and was able to leave that way and complete quest, might want to give that a try
  • adlplumbingb16_ESO
    it now won`t let you get that far
  • jdroebuckb16_ESO
    jdroebuckb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I killed him - got asked to contain spirit but nothing to click. His dead body went away - I am stuck unable to progress. Sent in an email of this issue in game and asked for the quest to be progressed, otherwise this line is permanently bugged for me
    "Home is where the heart is but the stars are made of platinum"
  • Divayith
    Divayith
    ✭✭
    I had the same problem as everyone else, I submitted a bug report in game and left, went and finished a few other quests, went back and he had re-spawned, I killed him again and this time the quest worked. I don't know if it was a GM or just a happy coincidence. After I contained his spirit and went through the dialogues the portal out of Ash Mountain was gone. I worked around this by porting to a way-shrine and had no problems completing the quest and getting the achievement.
  • Eleazar
    Eleazar
    Thankfully i am not stuck and can go do other things. but there is no way for me to contain his spirit.

Update. i did what Divayith did. success.
    Edited by Eleazar on March 31, 2014 1:14AM
  • Siefer913
    Siefer913
    So far I've gone away and quested 3 times, and killed him 3 times after having submitted the bug report, and still no luck. I still can't contain his spirit. Hoping they'll fix this soon.
  • Seraph702
    Seraph702
    ✭✭✭
    I was stuck and did @Divayith suggestion and worked like a charm. Thank You
    Dynamic
    Praise be to Unruh our Let it Rain Lord and Savior
  • REiiGN15
    REiiGN15
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem and basically went about the same way @Divayith‌ did. What a coincidence.
  • Cappipanken
    Cappipanken
    Soul Shriven
    Same happend to me where his spirit wouldn't show up, I left to do other quests and came back later after 30 min maybe. I had to kill him again but now his spirit showed up, but no portal. Just waypoint out and finish the quest :)
  • Zerl
    Zerl
    ✭✭✭
    I had a problem with this quest, however I managed to eventually resolve it.

When I initially killed Balreth, his "spirit" was invisible. I fixed this by leaving the instance and abandoning the quest and doing it again (I relogged and waited a couple of minutes before re-entering). This worked and I was able to complete the quest, however the exit afterwards was invisible.

To resolve this, simply teleport to the waypoint that is closest to the entrance of ash mountain (as the quest line finishes with talking to an NPC located at the 1st camp).
  • Dumbledalf
    Dumbledalf
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same problem but someone told me to group with 2 more players. Whether it was just coincidence I don't know but it worked with 3 of us had to warp out though as the portal vanished but still completed the quest.
  • Draegonian
    same prob with balreth ..with or without Group...repair Client....abbandon old quest make new ...cant fix this
  • adlplumbingb16_ESO
    still their but not getting to balreths, being imprisoned again know, and I have repaired client
  • Seroczynski
    Seroczynski
    ✭✭✭
    “To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” ― Homer J. Simpson
  • dahak777
    dahak777
    This worked for me last night, not sure if it will for you but can try. Solo

I had killed him but could not bind him.

I had left the mountain using the Wayshrine.
    I abandoned the quest.
    I picked it up again.
    Was able to kill him
    I did NOT loot him
    I was able to bind him (hes standing near by)
    Bound him , but exit portal was not there, so uesed the Wayshrine again
    Edited by dahak777 on March 31, 2014 11:41AM
  • Schattenfluegel
    Schattenfluegel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I worked around this bug...you can transport over the map to a wayshrine...should work.
    Love my Stamsorc
  • adlplumbingb16_ESO
    no I tried that.
  • powned
    powned
    ETA on fix?
  • Etern4ever
    Still massively bugged for me. Tried several times and running out of quests to do in the area.. This quest seems to be one that unlocks over quests.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey folks, thanks for all the reports on this. Our team has identified the problem with this quest, and it should be fixed in a future patch. In the meantime, we're working with our Support Team to try and help you with a workaround. We'll let you know as soon as it's ready to go!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post