The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How to Fake Tank without Faking it!

Oreyn_Bearclaw
Oreyn_Bearclaw
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I know this convo comes up a lot, so I wanted to quickly share something I have been doing on my Templar to GREAT effect. I get nothing but compliments from randoms, several have asked me what I am doing. This might not be the most detailed build, but I am going to give the broad strokes. It is also about the easiest build I have ever run. Only real barriers to entry are Oakensoul (Mythic), Caltrops (Alliance Skill) and Inner Beast (Undaunted Skill).

The idea here is to skip the queue, pull high DPS, and NOT be a fake tank.

I wont claim this is great for vet DLC content, but it has worked in every Random Normal and vet non DLC I have tried, and I have used it to farm several normal DLCs very quickly for gear (the queue pretty much always insta pops as a tank, regardless of what dungeon you select). Simply put, you are an oaken wearing, jab spamming, debuffing, taunting/chaining beast of a Tank/DPS/Healer.

Class: Templar
Race: Who cares, but I am high Elf (Dunmer is probably better for a little extra taunting/chaining).
Attributes: All Magic (A few in health is okay, but I havent needed it)
Food: Tri Stat (Sugar Skulls is best)
Pots: Tri Pots (or trash pots, sustain is a non issue, if anything, stam trash pots).
Mundus: Thief (or something tanky if you want, serpent might also be interesting if you do a lot of chaining).

Gear: Oakensoul (Duh), and DPS gear. Which DPS Gear doesn't really matter, but I am really liking Deadly Strike (hard to beat on a Templar) and False God (cost reduction and Major expedition between pulls), any one piece monster you want (I am running Slimecraw as its the most damage/crit). Any two magic DPS sets (Julianos/Orders Wrath for craftable), and One piece Trainee or Any Monster can get you going. Front bar is infused flame staff with crusher enchant (this part is important), rest is magic and Divines.

Bars:
-Sweeps (while casting you have major/minor protection with a massive heal, nearly unkillable).
-Unstable Wall(you are doing this both for AOE damage and the infused crusher for your group, you could go Blockade, but unstable lines up with Caltrops time wise).
-Razor Caltrops (AOE damage and AOE major breach).
-Inner Beast (taunt High threat targets, and 7-10% damage buff).
-Flex, Silver Leash for chaining/Breath of Life for a burst heal (you can really be both tank/healer and the best DPS in most groups).
-Ultimate: Elemental Rage (could also go warhorn next patch when we lose Major Force from Oakensoul).

Rotation: Taunt things that are bigger than you, then the rotation is Razor Caltrops, Unstable Wall, Sweeps X8, repeat. Taunt and or Chain as needed. Chaining is a little more advance, I actually swap between Chains and BOL for Trash/Boss fights.

CP: Doesnt really matter, but I am running Red: Health, Armor, and Return Magic/Stam on kills. Blue: Fighting Finesse, Master at Arms, Wrathful Strikes, Biting Aura (dont run backstabber as you are taunting, Dont run Deadly Aim as virtually none of your damage is Single Target)

You will pull more than half the DPS in most randoms (I can easily be in the 80-100k DPS range on boss fights, and typically sit at about 60% of group DPS in groupfinder). You have Massive amounts of heals (Sweeps and BOL if needed). And you satisfy the three primary functions of a tank: 1. Not dying (you are absurdly tanky while channeling, spamming sweeps, with Minor Protection, plus oaken gives Major Protection and Major Resolve), 2. Taunting High Threat Targets (Inner beast is a fine taunt with a nice personal damage buff), 3. Debuffing Targets (you are providing both major breach and infused crusher, which puts you miles ahead of most pug tanks, my pen on boss fights is usually right around 17.2k).

Open to thoughts or suggestions, but if you want to skip the queue and not cause rage threads on the forums, give this a go. This might get moved, but this topic comes up so much in General Discussion that I thought I would at least start it here.

Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 10, 2022 5:06PM
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    use a taunt
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use a taunt

Kind of the linchpin to the whole operation. LOL. This allows you to do that while stacking adds, debuffing targets, and pulling high DPS with one of the easiest rotations you will ever find.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 9, 2022 7:58PM
  • Wyrd88
    Wyrd88
    ✭✭✭✭
    -Inner Beast (taunt High threat targets, and 7% group damage buff).

Is there something I don't know?
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wyrd88 wrote: »

@Wyrd88

In the tooltip of Inner Beast (stam morph of Inner Fire): The enemy takes 10% more damage from your attacks while this effect persists if they are not a player (so PVE only). I believe 10% is at level 4 and 7% is at level 1. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Probably should have said 7-10%, and my mistake not a group buff (I edited the OP). Considering you will pull 60%+ of the damage, its still the clear morph to take. It is a unique buff as far as I know so it will stack things like Major Slayer.

It's definitely a niche skill, but that niche is a high DPS tank which is exactly what this is.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 9, 2022 9:03PM
  • Wyrd88
    Wyrd88
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wyrd88 wrote: »

@Wyrd88

In the tooltip of Inner Beast (stam morph of Inner Fire): The enemy takes 10% more damage from your attacks while this effect persists if they are not a player (so PVE only). I believe 10% is at level 4 and 7% is at level 1. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Probably should have said 7-10%, and my mistake not a group buff (I edited the OP). Considering you will pull 60%+ of the damage, its still the clear morph to take. It is a unique buff as far as I know so it will stack things like Major Slayer.

It's definitely a niche skill, but that niche is a high DPS tank which is exactly what this is.

Ah, okay then. Aye, it's 10% at level 4.

I was just staring at it's tooltip looking for maybe I missed something, lol.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fake tank who isn't faking... so a fake fake tank?

If more people bothered to actually perform the role for which they queued, fakes would probably not be such a big deal (or might even not be called fakes). Short of creating a dedicated tank, adapting your DPS toon to perform tank tasks is fairly reasonable and, technically, you wouldn't be skipping the queue.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "How to Fake Tank without Faking it! "

?????? :/ I can't understand purpose of this thread.

Tank is the tank. No other things except it.
    If you queue with your non tank build character as tank, then it's just cheating.
    You're simply bad player.

ESO can have multiple characters, and also can exchange items with your other characters
    through the your bank storage. Just build decent Tank character instead of cheating.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt realize the title would be so controversial. It was a joke, lol.

These forums are filled with complaints about "fake tanks" AKA, DPS that queue as a tank to skip the queue, but usually are ill suited for the role of tank. The point is, this build is a good way to do that without causing rage threads. Its a build that is a blend of a DPS (for those that want to put out high damage and ensure the dungeon doesnt take an hour), but also to satisfy the essential functions of a tank (Dont Die, Taunt/chain bosses and adds, and give a lot of group penetration).

In other words, its a very easy to play Tank/DPS hybrid build that should never cause issues if you queue as a tank. You will be miles ahead of your average tank with the debuffs you are providing, and you will pull more DPS than 95% of people that you encounter in GF, with an absurdly easy rotation.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 10, 2022 1:40AM
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    You basically don't need a tank in the mentioned content, as there's nearly nothing that hits hard. Although you can still be an "agressive" tank in vet dlc content with major adjustments, but it will require a lot of theorycrafting and practicing. And kinda not worth it, as you can just level a normal tank for that purpose which could complete such content with nearly zero troubles, if you don't get dds who do 10k dps of course.
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're taunting bosses you're not fake tanking. You may not be a very good tank, but you are a tank.

Just be prepared to get really embarrased when you bite of more then you can chew and get exposed. I say that from personal experience.... its bloody embarrasing when you simply aren't up to the job last boss of a dungeon.
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    These forums are filled with complaints about "fake tanks" AKA, DPS that queue as a tank to skip the queue, but usually are ill suited for the role of tank. The point is, this build is a good way to do that without causing rage threads.

As a tank myself, I never tank nDLC and vet vanilla content. It's not challenging, very boring and sort of unrewarding. Imagine completing city of ash 2 with two fake dps as a tank. You're going to be stuck there for an hour at the very least. And eventually, you don't get any notable rewards or feelings.
    I often see fake tanks in this content but have never raged on them, even if they die first. So for me it's kind of L2P issue when you can't beat normal dungeons without a tank. But when someone picks a fake-tank role for vDLC content and dies to the first boss, not to mention regular mobs, - that's another story. I don't know what's going on inside such players' heads. They're literally wasting their own time for nothing.
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wanna avoid fake roles ? Then you have to avoid ESO xD. Pree made groups ? Sure, why not :smiley:
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How does this work in content where the tank needs to block?

And, for a more niche scenario, how about in content where you're supposed to keep one or more enemies alive?
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    The two mentioned, block and niche content. It doesn´t really. The spiders in FG2 I believe it is, where you have to taund and hold agro on the small spiders, away from the boss.

Anyway, just let them do, what they wanna do xD
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few things to consider:
    - keep taunt on bosses and elite adds.
    - know dungeon mechanics,
    - roll dodge the heavy hits, rather than block them
    - don't fake tank veteran dungeons, especially DLC ones
    - use a build that is able to apply certain buffs and debuffs
    - use a self heal

For example I always "fake tanked" daily normal on my stamina DK to consume the enlightenment
    - I use Inner Rage as taunt
    - I never fake tank on normal a dungeon I haven't properly tanked on veteran, and hence I know the mechanic
    - I'm used to roll dodging since I was pretty much a dedicated PVP and solo veteran arena players for my last years in the game
    - I could probably handle most base game dungeons on veteran as fake tank, but it's too risky so I always got my proper tanking gear if I wanted to do those pledges for 2 keys
    - I use pretty much the same build I use for arenas: Resolving Vigor and Bloodthist keep me healed constantly - it also applies Minor Mangle sometimes, Noxious Breath provides AOE major fracture, Molten Armaments provides Major Sorcery, Major Brutality and Minor Brutality for the whole group.
    - Radiate and Standard of Might chains are also pretty strong synergies
    I did that for 2 years and received 0 complaints. Only once I was kicked from a group, but that was because I was destroying mobs too fast and the other 3 people wanted to do the dungeon at a slow pace.

Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    svendf wrote: »
    The two mentioned, block and niche content. It doesn´t really. The spiders in FG2 I believe it is, where you have to taund and hold agro on the small spiders, away from the boss.

Anyway, just let them do, what they wanna do xD

For FG2 yes in theory you pull the spiders away. In practice the odds of your group actually having a remote clue about the mechanics and not just trying to burn the lot are so low it doesn't matter. Most of the time if I pull the spiders away the DPS run after the spiders and kill them first.

Block is fine on a mag toon post hybridisation because you will have dual daggers on one bar so you can heavy attack for stamina and have little stamina outgoing except for blocks. In the case of templar it's even simpler because you've got sword/board/jabs on one bar and your magicka tools on the other one. If you wear something like engine guardian while tanking you'll also have a load of resource from that and potions if it doesn't fire.

Whilst deadly is nice for tanking doing damage I find defiler is better because of the crowd control aspect.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few Danker builds (DPS tanker)- that sort of get to the heart of the issues; not enough DPS, taking too long to wait in the queue, or sword and board just isn't fun!

So here are the ones I made! I only made ones of classes I have and have intrest in playing this way and test it through vet-DLC PuGs to get a real grasp for how it handles, and tweak here and there with a few flex spots depending on if I'm not getting healed enough ect.

The idea is to taunt, DPS, and provide some buffs or debuffs so the rest of the group can contribute with you. It's a balancing act to add in sustain, but some classes obviously do it better or have more in their kit to make it easier.

I also try to pick gear that is dad build safe.
    DAD BUILD RULES:
    1. Easily Obtainable (crafted, dungeons, base trials ect.)
    2. Easily Mastered (high DPS sets don't matter if you're not hitting your light attacks)
    3. Competitive enough- you hold your own in the content you desire (but not necessarily 'the best' meta item)
    4. Versatile (can be effective in nearly all situations- arena, solo, trial, dungeon)
    5. Persistent (passives that help you all-the time instead of 'when x thing occurs', or easy to proc such as on crit or on potion)
    6. Evergreen (this item isn't going anywhere nor getting nerfed anytime soon, so no stress to re-gear unless you want to try something out or upgrade!)

DK 2Hander
    https://eso-hub.com/en/builds/oolongsnaketea/416f5db9-88c5-42aa-9c16-20bb9fc2c146/the-furnace-a-dk-2h-tank?utm_medium=website&utm_source=esohubcom&utm_campaign=share_button

Sorc 2Hander
    https://eso-hub.com/en/builds/oolongsnaketea/7984b5e7-f065-40ad-9d85-44ff2df92a01/thunderstruck-a-sorc-2h-tank?utm_medium=website&utm_source=esohubcom&utm_campaign=share_button

Warden- Mag/Double Frost Staff
    https://eso-hub.com/en/builds/oolongsnaketea/5ff1f1a3-8a23-4b25-af32-80779b3c96a7/the-yeti-hunter?utm_medium=website&utm_source=esohubcom&utm_campaign=share_button

Necromancer- 2Hander
    https://eso-hub.com/en/builds/oolongsnaketea/892f83f3-877e-41a7-91c6-04f56512ef06/the-gluttonous-butcher-a-necro-2h-tank?utm_medium=website&utm_source=esohubcom&utm_campaign=share_button
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• Klingenlied
    Klingenlied
    ✭✭✭✭
    In "easy" content tank needs accomplish 2 tasks: taunt nasties, pull adds together.
    Staying alive is not mentioned because that is something everyone needs be doing.

Anyway, if you got a taunt and some ability to cc / pull mobs and enough skill to not die, you won't be a liability to your group. Thus, this can be scaled up to dlc vet content. Thing is however: dlc vets will punish you hard if you try tanking with 20k'ish life in light armor, no matter if you got a taunt slotted or not ^^

So yea, I for one don't mind any fake roles as a run goes smooth. If it doesn't, I check for the reasons. Mostly it is underperforming roles - and that can be anything from 10k dps only players to fake tanks or useless heals. And yea, in some vet content, I enjoy a good healer by my side ^^
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does this work in content where the tank needs to block?

And, for a more niche scenario, how about in content where you're supposed to keep one or more enemies alive?

As I said, it is NOT for Vet DLCs, but you certainly have the ability to chain and position adds. No tank really has the ability to keep adds totally seperated for very long.

The build is for breezing through Random Normals, and most Vet non DLCs (assuming you know them), where blocking more than a few things is never really that necessary. I have yet to be one shot through a block in any of that content, other than true one shots that everyone needs to get out of (which I dont stand in).

A templar with Oakensoul is going to have Major Protection and Major resolve at all times, while channeling (spamming Sweeps), you are getting an absurd amount of heals and minor protection, so you are extremely tanky, way more so than any classic DPS build with a taunt. For the most part, I actually play it as a bit more of a dodge tank for boss heavies and that sort of thing. You will have 17-19k stamina depending on race, so more than enough to roll here and there.

I have played most specs as a "Fake Tank", in other words, take my trial DPS and slot a taunt in place of one of the DOTs. This build is miles ahead of those. It is tankier, does a better job with chaining, and it actually debuffs the target, so I end up pulling more DPS with this build than I do with my 100k+ trial build w/ a taunt. It is also absurdly easy to play.

Asardes wrote: »
    A few things to consider:
    - keep taunt on bosses and elite adds.
    - know dungeon mechanics,
    - roll dodge the heavy hits, rather than block them
    - don't fake tank veteran dungeons, especially DLC ones
    - use a build that is able to apply certain buffs and debuffs
    - use a self heal

This build allows me to do exactly that, AND still pull 60-70% of group DPS. As to your comment about inner rage, I strongly suggest Inner Beast. The pugs in groupfinder probably arent reliably smashing your synergies. Inner beast is giving you a 10% damage buff.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use a taunt

This is my tried and true. I never got a complaint.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a tank main, I rather enjoy some tv and snack while playing, doing <20 apm and complain about subpar DD when i get them.

What community really need, is get more actual tanks to queue, to do so zos need to improve the dungeon finder experience for tanks.
  • Porter_H
    Porter_H
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few Danker builds (DPS tanker)- that sort of get to the heart of the issues; not enough DPS, taking too long to wait in the queue, or sword and board just isn't fun!

So here are the ones I made! I only made ones of classes I have and have intrest in playing this way and test it through vet-DLC PuGs to get a real grasp for how it handles, and tweak here and there with a few flex spots depending on if I'm not getting healed enough ect.

The idea is to taunt, DPS, and provide some buffs or debuffs so the rest of the group can contribute with you. It's a balancing act to add in sustain, but some classes obviously do it better or have more in their kit to make it easier.

I also try to pick gear that is dad build safe.
    DAD BUILD RULES:
    1. Easily Obtainable (crafted, dungeons, base trials ect.)
    2. Easily Mastered (high DPS sets don't matter if you're not hitting your light attacks)
    3. Competitive enough- you hold your own in the content you desire (but not necessarily 'the best' meta item)
    4. Versatile (can be effective in nearly all situations- arena, solo, trial, dungeon)
    5. Persistent (passives that help you all-the time instead of 'when x thing occurs', or easy to proc such as on crit or on potion)
    6. Evergreen (this item isn't going anywhere nor getting nerfed anytime soon, so no stress to re-gear unless you want to try something out or upgrade!)

DK 2Hander
    https://eso-hub.com/en/builds/oolongsnaketea/416f5db9-88c5-42aa-9c16-20bb9fc2c146/the-furnace-a-dk-2h-tank?utm_medium=website&utm_source=esohubcom&utm_campaign=share_button

Sorc 2Hander
    https://eso-hub.com/en/builds/oolongsnaketea/7984b5e7-f065-40ad-9d85-44ff2df92a01/thunderstruck-a-sorc-2h-tank?utm_medium=website&utm_source=esohubcom&utm_campaign=share_button

Warden- Mag/Double Frost Staff
    https://eso-hub.com/en/builds/oolongsnaketea/5ff1f1a3-8a23-4b25-af32-80779b3c96a7/the-yeti-hunter?utm_medium=website&utm_source=esohubcom&utm_campaign=share_button

Necromancer- 2Hander
    https://eso-hub.com/en/builds/oolongsnaketea/892f83f3-877e-41a7-91c6-04f56512ef06/the-gluttonous-butcher-a-necro-2h-tank?utm_medium=website&utm_source=esohubcom&utm_campaign=share_button

I have a really similar Warden mag tank build. Iceheart really shines on that one. I use Mother's Sorrow to proc more shields. Enchanted Forest for any crazy moments instead of Permafrost too but very similar.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Holy *** just buy a plague doctor and beekeeper set with a taunt and have it on you if you want to "fake tank" (tanking without being specc'd for it), these sets are cheap as hell and can make anyone seem like a god of a tank. Bonus points if you have the claw set from nSS to help with dps, but remember you're there to take hits not to accelerate the speed at which your group clears things to completes the dungeon. No need for this guide even if it's a joke.
    Edited by Dr_Con on August 10, 2022 11:37PM
  • p4l4mu7
    p4l4mu7
    ✭✭✭✭
    How to Fake Tank without Faking it

Slot taunt, there you go. Newbie players don't care as long as you don't run and kill everything before they can even reach and use a skill or
    they don't care as long as they don't have the agro.
    Tbh they are right, it is no fun running behind someone and not being able to attack to a single mob.

So I just slot a taunt, ask if they need me to slow down for a quest or anything and done. This is not an issue you solve by adding couple extra lines to games coding, you just ask people in your group.
    Edited by p4l4mu7 on August 10, 2022 11:37PM
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use a taunt

Kind of the linchpin to the whole operation. LOL. This allows you to do that while stacking adds, debuffing targets, and pulling high DPS with one of the easiest rotations you will ever find.

Why use a flame staff over a lightning staff? Isn't Sweeps treated as an AoE attack, meaning you want the lightning passive?
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dmnqwk wrote: »
    use a taunt

Why use a flame staff over a lightning staff? Isn't Sweeps treated as an AoE attack, meaning you want the lightning passive?

That's a good question. I have gone back and forth with both. I honestly cant tell that much difference between the two damage wise if I am being honest. I simply prefer a fire staff because I am so used to how it functions, but a lighting staff is absolutely a viable answer here, and if you are bad at weaving, its almost certainly the better answer. I do think fire blockade and the fire based destro ult do more DPS than the lighting. I even tried frost staff for the tanking aspect, and its not bad if you need to block a bit more, but you could feel the DPS loss. You could also certainly front bar a sword and board if you want the full appearance of a tank and a bit more defense.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    Holy *** just buy a plague doctor and beekeeper set with a taunt and have it on you if you want to "fake tank" (tanking without being specc'd for it), these sets are cheap as hell and can make anyone seem like a god of a tank. Bonus points if you have the claw set from nSS to help with dps, but remember you're there to take hits not to accelerate the speed at which your group clears things to completes the dungeon. No need for this guide even if it's a joke.

Sounds more like an actual tank. lol. You wont pull nearly the DPS of this build. In my experience, most "Fake Tanks" want to be able to push the pace and pull high damage.

The title was a joke. It really is amazing. You try to post actual solutions to a problem on these forums, and people simply want to attack you.

p4l4mu7 wrote: »
    How to Fake Tank without Faking it

Slot taunt, there you go. Newbie players don't care as long as you don't run and kill everything before they can even reach and use a skill or
    they don't care as long as they don't have the agro.
    Tbh they are right, it is no fun running behind someone and not being able to attack to a single mob.

So I just slot a taunt, ask if they need me to slow down for a quest or anything and done. This is not an issue you solve by adding couple extra lines to games coding, you just ask people in your group.
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    use a taunt

This is my tried and true. I never got a complaint.

And that is what I did for years. I dont ever just ditch my group, but I always push the pace. The problem with simply slotting a taunt on a DPS build is that you arent debuffing the enemies, and while you may be able to survive, you cant stack adds and face tank like this build can. Said it earlier, I have gone the Slot a taunt route on every single class. I would do it to knock out 8-10 random normals very quickly. This build is better than any of those by a mile. You will actually pull higher Damage with an easier rotation, and so will your group.

Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on August 11, 2022 3:59PM
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of the linchpin to the whole operation. LOL.

omg THANK YOU for using the correct spelling of linchpin, versus the incorrect and offensive spelling that Z uses ingame.
    It's almost like Z doesn't know English.

"Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can tell if someone is a dps who tried to skip their queue before you've even reached the first boss. If you ain't taunting and you're going down like a sack of wet potatoes every add pull, I'm bailing. Fake tanks are my biggest pet peeve in this game, and I don't mind swapping characters or logging out to do something else while the timer fades. Doesn't matter to me; I refuse to play with them on principle.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    svendf wrote: »
    Wanna avoid fake roles ? Then you have to avoid ESO xD. Pree made groups ? Sure, why not :smiley:

More like, then you have to avoid MMOs? ESO is the only MMO I've ever played, but I assume this must be a common issue?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!