The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I can't do damage in PVP and after following online guides to the T

Maul_Rat
Maul_Rat
✭✭✭
What am I missing? My friends and players can destroy me, but my damage seems to not be effective

I am using a stam nightblad, magicka necromancer and magicka DK. All of them seem underwhelming and not effective.

My Nightblade is a Kahjiit using oakensoul with legacy, Balogh, and order's wrath. When I go to gank in Cyrodill, they are too tanky and I die before I can escape.

My DK is running pariah, burning spell weave, and bloodspawn. The heals seem underwhelming and the dps is lacking. I was able to get up to 3300 spell damage, crit is very low and weapon is at 2500

My Magicka Necromancer was made into a bomber build. Dark convergence, balogh, and vicious death. Short story, a whispher told me that build is only good in ball groups.

I am lost. I know the learning curve is high, but not doing damage is frustrating. At this point, what can I do to increase my damage and give me a better fighting chance in 1/2 duels?

I just want man flesh.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personal skill is a huge part of success in PVP. Let's get that out of the way first. It's going to take a lot of learning by practice and failure before you start to make progress. Running with a group in voice comms instead of zerg surfing can help make that process a little easier.

You haven't told us much about your build or what you are doing. What buffs are you giving yourself access to, what are your gear traits, how do you ensure you have enough self-healing, CP setup, etc. Also know that legendary weapons are mandatory.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    Personal skill is a huge part of success in PVP. Let's get that out of the way first. It's going to take a lot of learning by practice and failure before you start to make progress. Running with a group in voice comms instead of zerg surfing can help make that process a little easier.

You haven't told us much about your build or what you are doing. What buffs are you giving yourself access to, what are your gear traits, how do you ensure you have enough self-healing, CP setup, etc. Also know that legendary weapons are mandatory.

Impenetrable on everything, but jewelry. Jewelry is infused with spell damage. Heavy for the chest, necklace, legs, and weapons. Light for everything else.

As the title states, I followed online guides. Here there are. I copied everything.

https://dottzgaming.com/build/inferno-magicka-dragon-knight-pvp-build/
    https://arzyelbuilds.com/magicka-dragonknight-pvp-build-eso/
    https://dottzgaming.com/build/horror-magicka-necromancer-pvp-build/
    https://gorilla-hq.com/high-isle-one-bar-ganker

Yes I know pvp takes skill. What I am looking for is how to kill players.
    I just want man flesh.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maul_Rat wrote: »

Impenetrable on everything, but jewelry. Jewelry is infused with spell damage. Heavy for the chest, necklace, legs, and weapons. Light for everything else.

As the title states, I followed online guides. Here there are. I copied everything.

https://dottzgaming.com/build/inferno-magicka-dragon-knight-pvp-build/
    https://arzyelbuilds.com/magicka-dragonknight-pvp-build-eso/
    https://dottzgaming.com/build/horror-magicka-necromancer-pvp-build/
    https://gorilla-hq.com/high-isle-one-bar-ganker

Yes I know pvp takes skill. What I am looking for is how to kill players.

So I'm going to say something as a guide writer that I hope you take constructively: you can't blindly copy-paste from guides. You have to look at the mechanics, make sure they make sense for your class.

ABOUT BUILDING

If you play Stamblade:
    1. you should not be wearing any light armor. You should be wearing between 5-7 medium pieces, so 0-2 heavy
    2. for any class, Impen is a very water down stat. IMO the only stats worth considering at Well-Fitted, Reinforced (on the 5 high armor heavy pieces only, not gloves nor waist), or Divines

You have to look at what a guide is telling you and make an assessment of whether it seems like good advice with clearly beneficial mechanics. Some guides are also out of date and therefore giving dated advice.

E.g. looking at the above links, at least one of them (the one for MagDK recommending Pariah) seems out of date by a year. Pariah is not worth it any more; it was meta 1+ years ago, before Battle Spirit was changed. I also 100000% feel that Pariah is overkill for MagDK already wearing 5 heavy armor, given that you have the best class self-heal in the game in Coagulating Blood. If you are hitting weakly then it is because you're overbuilding for survivability.

P.S. Dottz generally gives solid advice, even if I don't agree with all his choices.

P.P.S. most guides do not get into the level of detail to actually teach. They only specify what's in a build, but not why it works or how to use it. Here is an example of the level of depth to help a player understand why a build is mechanically sound and how to play it, written by me: https://taugrim.com/2022/05/11/stamina-warden-pvp-build-taugrims-brawler/.

I was going to write a similar depth guide for Templar, but the Update 35 changes have greatly discouraged me from actively creating content for ESO.

ABOUT LEARNING
    Cyrodiil is not the place to practice builds. There is too much downtime, the fights are uneven in terms of experience and # of opponents.

What I strongly recommend is play BGs first with a build a ton, record footage of yourself playing (OBS is great and free, here's a simple guide to using it: https://taugrim.com/2020/05/02/guide-to-the-best-obs-settings-for-recording-gameplay/), and keep iterating.

Part of what I can't explain is how to know when a build isn't working, versus you're not playing the build well. There is no substitute for experience.
    Edited by taugrim on July 24, 2022 1:08AM
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    What am I missing? My friends and players can destroy me, but my damage seems to not be effective

I am using a stam nightblad, magicka necromancer and magicka DK. All of them seem underwhelming and not effective.

My Nightblade is a Kahjiit using oakensoul with legacy, Balogh, and order's wrath. When I go to gank in Cyrodill, they are too tanky and I die before I can escape.

My DK is running pariah, burning spell weave, and bloodspawn. The heals seem underwhelming and the dps is lacking. I was able to get up to 3300 spell damage, crit is very low and weapon is at 2500

My Magicka Necromancer was made into a bomber build. Dark convergence, balogh, and vicious death. Short story, a whispher told me that build is only good in ball groups.

I am lost. I know the learning curve is high, but not doing damage is frustrating. At this point, what can I do to increase my damage and give me a better fighting chance in 1/2 duels?

Sometimes I think people who are new to pvp make a common error. they think they can't do damage but often it's that they don't know how to survive while running optimal damage, but their opponent does. That's just experience talking.

An above poster is correct. Builds are personal. Copying a build from someone else requires understanding and being able to adapt to the presented playstyle. That's really up to knowing thyself. What works for you. What are your fighting habits. I dodge roll way too much not to run well-fitted, as an example.

Your khajiit blade seems fine but I'd replace caluurions with rallying cry and make sure you're running gold nirn/sharpened maces and that your mundus stone amplifies your damage -- as a khajiit you really need shadow here, in my opinion.

Then you practice escaping. A lot of gankers learn how strong their set up is by testing it out, which means trial AND error. You could tell us your offensive combo for example. Maybe you aren't packing in as much damage instances as is necessary.

For your dk I would highly suggest 3 things. Vampire stage 3 with a strong burst heal. Elusive mist for get away moments. Then I would ditch bloodspawn in favor of magma incarnate and markyn ring. Pariah is good (maybe even great), but there are other sets that lean into the strengths of the DK a bit better. Trickery, kynmarch, Hell I'd even consider clever alchemist on such a build.

Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Quoted for truth and emphasis.
  • Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    Appreciate everyone's input. My pvp experience in the past was BGs, but wanted to get into Cyrodill with friends. I have soaked all of the information provided and it has been very helpful in how to approach adjusting my builds.

I am well aware I am new and welcome constructive criticism. Thank you all.
    I just want man flesh.
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want some strange advice.....here it is: Buy non-set items from the normal vendors. That's right...no sets no nothing...just white, unenchanted gear.

Now.....go play....Spellscar maybe...and focus on the skills. Truth be told is I've gone through a LOT of gear....and unless I'm gearing for something VERY specific like a stealth bomber or ganker, honestly besides sustain, the impact of survival and damage sets make are never as much as I'd be expecting. You start taking out those groups and surviving..well...the sets will only enhance that.

Skills and how you use them, sets after.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To go even further with what DigiAngel said - try just hopping into Cyrodiil with nothing. Literally naked with nothing but a couple weapons and your wits. You will have zero hope of killing anyone. And being singled out will surely end in your demise. But the goal is to learn three things. 1) How to see bad situations headed your way and avoid or postpone them. 2) How to survive as long as possible in the very worse scenarios 3) Find ways to help your allies even when directly damaging opponents cannot possible help and might even inadvertently buff your enemies.

Just a night or two of this and you'll find you will learn a lot. If you are really struggling and you have a friend with lots of patience that can call out situations then maybe get them to tag along with you. I took a friend in like this as soon as she hit level 10 and we did that together for maybe a couple of weeks before she finished leveling up and gathered up some gear. Now she kites n fights better than me.
    Edited by Sluggy on July 24, 2022 4:10AM
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep buffs and HoTs up at all times. Killing is all about burst damage, so your class, build, and bars could be set up perfectly, but if you don’t know how to burst damage, you’ll never kill anyone.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    3 damage sets, all divines and line up your burst damage into 1 GCD. Worry about being able to kill people first rather than just tanking up to survive like the majority of Cyrodiil veterans that haven't improved after 8 years.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    This has most likely already been said, but I wanted to add my voice because I experienced the same issue.

So, I started playing PVP seriously about a year ago, and I spent the first six months reading and watching builds, then spending all of my gold creating and golding out these builds. None of them ever worked for me, and I was dying with no kills. Today, these golded builds are still sitting in my bank and collecting dust.

It wasn't until I started actually making friends with pvpers that I realized a build can only get you so far. First, I had to learn how to fight in pvp and more specifically, how to fight with my class. I needed to better understand my abilities and practice on what works best for me. Only then could I select a build that is appropriate for my skills. I found that I am much better at being a ranged fighter than in any other form. Maybe one day I'll learn how to fight at close range, but for now I make builds that play to my strengths.

Also, Learn about buffs, CP points, crafting traits, and enchants. So I didn't know anything about traits, buffs, guild skills, or anything else for a while. As a result, I wasn't really creating builds to met my needs. I only found out about this a few months ago, and it has drastically changed my builds. When I made or purchased sets, I never applied any enchanting to them. I had no idea it was so important! Nor did I realize how much CP points played a part in pvp. Mostly because I never really needed all of that in pve, it is a lot easier than pvp. Which is why I love pvp.

You also need to learn about other classes and their abilities. Determine which faction does what and how to avoid it. Of course, each faction has a diverse set of classes and races. However, after a while of playing, you will notice certain people, groups, and so on. For example, ball groups, gankers, and bombers. These are the things I try to be aware of so that if a bomber approaches, I can either move away from them, kill them, or warn those around me. Whatever is most convenient at the time. I still die to gankers though...they give me nightmares.

So, for example, I recently switched to an inferno staff, not only because it does more damage, but also because it deals additional damage to vamps. To be honest, almost everyone in cyro is probably a vamp. Of course, not all, but many. When it comes to actual fighting and being more aggressive, I still have a lot to learn, but I believe that understanding your skills and strengths will be extremely beneficial when creating builds.

I'm not sure what build videos you watch, but I usually take advice from the following and then make it into my own by merging my own sets and or traits I like.

Sawman, Asian Mayhem, Luca Cash, Deltia, and MalcolM. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that come to me at the moment.
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ DaisyRay ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    Also!!!!

Sometimes people are just better than you and that's okay. There is no one guide that can teach you how to kill everyone. There will always be someone better so you just have to take the deaths and learn from them. While I'm usually laughing at my deaths, I'm also looking back to see what I could have done better. So this too!
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1) My Nightblade is a Kahjiit using oakensoul with legacy, Balogh, and order's wrath. When I go to gank in Cyrodill, they are too tanky and I die before I can escape.

2) My DK is running pariah, burning spell weave, and bloodspawn. The heals seem underwhelming and the dps is lacking. I was able to get up to 3300 spell damage, crit is very low and weapon is at 2500

3) My Magicka Necromancer was made into a bomber build. Dark convergence, balogh, and vicious death. Short story, a whispher told me that build is only good in ball groups.

3) Does the Necro wear Harmony? Do you use an execute skill despite being a magicka class? That being said, yes, there are only very specific moments when this build shines (i.e. a mediocre guild group at a ram), and it is useless in every other situation.

2) DK: Give Oakensoul and Balorgh to your DK. Make him a Vamp. Get info on which skills you really REALLY need. )Typically you need Momentum, Mist Form, and a self-healing skill.

1) Play your DK first. People typically react to such gank builds by stacking as much defense as they neeed in order to avoid being ganked. One can overcome this, but not as a new player.
    Edited by Thraben on July 24, 2022 3:56PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duels are a different beast than Battlegrounds or Cyrodiil. You can’t build for one of those and expect it to work in the other two.
  • Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »

1) My Nightblade is a Kahjiit using oakensoul with legacy, Balogh, and order's wrath. When I go to gank in Cyrodill, they are too tanky and I die before I can escape.

2) My DK is running pariah, burning spell weave, and bloodspawn. The heals seem underwhelming and the dps is lacking. I was able to get up to 3300 spell damage, crit is very low and weapon is at 2500

3) My Magicka Necromancer was made into a bomber build. Dark convergence, balogh, and vicious death. Short story, a whispher told me that build is only good in ball groups.

3) Does the Necro wear Harmony? Do you use an execute skill despite being a magicka class? That being said, yes, there are only very specific moments when this build shines (i.e. a mediocre guild group at a ram), and it is useless in every other situation.

2) DK: Give Oakensoul and Balorgh to your DK. Make him a Vamp. Get info on which skills you really REALLY need. )Typically you need Momentum, Mist Form, and a self-healing skill.

1) Play your DK first. People typically react to such gank builds by stacking as much defense as they neeed in order to avoid being ganked. One can overcome this, but not as a new player.

3) at the time of testing, no, but I learned why I need it. Harmony is a must, I know this now.
    No, I followed the builds to a T. I am starting to see why players run dual wield or 2 handed. I currently wield a destructive staff and restoration back bar.
    I have been playing in Cyro for 2 days and counting and have died so many times to bombs while repairing doors haha.

2) My current build does not have Oakensoul so I will have to try it out. One of the earlier players mentioned all heavy armor is overkill and I still have Pariah on. I will have to readjust DK build so he can be better off. I am trash with DKs still... :/

1) I have had a lot of fun with a Necromancer bash build so far. Oakensoul with Deadland demolished and inheritance.

Thank you Thraben. All of this is very helpful to me
    I just want man flesh.
  • Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    ChunkyCat wrote: »
    Duels are a different beast than Battlegrounds or Cyrodiil. You can’t build for one of those and expect it to work in the other two.

As true as this is, I want to still build for everything. A fool's hope.
    I just want man flesh.
  • Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyRay wrote: »
    Also!!!!

Sometimes people are just better than you and that's okay. There is no one guide that can teach you how to kill everyone. There will always be someone better so you just have to take the deaths and learn from them. While I'm usually laughing at my deaths, I'm also looking back to see what I could have done better. So this too!

DaisyRay,

I personally like watching Isth3reno1else. Truth be told, I have also forgotten to add enchantments to crafted sets. I have also been testing different traits to see what performs better. Currently, all well fitted has been nice for my bash guy, but I haven't tested all divines yet.

Using an inferno staff is nice. Are using a foul enchantment with it?

I just want man flesh.
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok my guy let me try and help. I’ve read through all the posts so far so I think I get the situation.

First of all, you need to finish your gear. You need every piece of gear enchanted, and weapons upgraded to gold. Gold quality enchants. You eventually want Prismatic Defence glyphs on all 7 armor pieces, but start with 3 on chest, helm, legs. These are expensive but worth their weight in gold. You can put the cheaper stamina or magicka glyphs on the small armor pieces until you can afford more prismatics. Pick your main resource.

Second, grind up skill points and max out your important skills like weapon skills and all three armor skills. You want every combat passive maxed out, these add up to a huge power boost. While we’re at it make sure all your abilities are at least morphed.

Third, make sure you have food buff on. Use a top tier food, I suggest starting with bewitched sugar skulls.

Fourth, get your bar set up optimally. Don’t be creative at first just put on the strongest most immediately impactful abilities you have. Make sure you have armor ability (buffs you with major resolve) and an ability that buffs your damage (buffs you with major brutality / sorcery). DKs front bar should be all class abilities, that’s my hint you put on the skills you think will most kill somebody when used together.

Fifth, grab a mundus either serpent or atronach.

Sixth, grab some Tristat potions.

And now go get good knowing that your build is reasonably competitive and actually gives you the practice you need to succeed.

• AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst build videos are great. You still have to alter builds to suit yourself. Also keep in mind different servers have different metas and different players. When you see a popular YouTubers, never automatically think, that you will kill people purely because of a build they posted. You still have to learn the intricacies of PvP to be effective.
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgot to add, get the undaunted passives and use at least one piece of every armor weight rest is up to you.
  • Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    HiImRex wrote: »
    Ok my guy let me try and help. I’ve read through all the posts so far so I think I get the situation.

First of all, you need to finish your gear. You need every piece of gear enchanted, and weapons upgraded to gold. Gold quality enchants. You eventually want Prismatic Defence glyphs on all 7 armor pieces, but start with 3 on chest, helm, legs. These are expensive but worth their weight in gold. You can put the cheaper stamina or magicka glyphs on the small armor pieces until you can afford more prismatics. Pick your main resource.

Second, grind up skill points and max out your important skills like weapon skills and all three armor skills. You want every combat passive maxed out, these add up to a huge power boost. While we’re at it make sure all your abilities are at least morphed.

Third, make sure you have food buff on. Use a top tier food, I suggest starting with bewitched sugar skulls.

Fourth, get your bar set up optimally. Don’t be creative at first just put on the strongest most immediately impactful abilities you have. Make sure you have armor ability (buffs you with major resolve) and an ability that buffs your damage (buffs you with major brutality / sorcery). DKs front bar should be all class abilities, that’s my hint you put on the skills you think will most kill somebody when used together.

And now go get good knowing that your build is reasonably competitive and actually gives you the practice you need to succeed.

The sad part is I put on golded prismatic but can do no damage on a DK. Not a huge fan of the class. I have undaunted and run medium shoulder and light BSW. I stack to 3 and whip, but its like 5k damage its so sad.

I run atronach on him and use the tri potions I had stacks of from daily logins.
    I just want man flesh.
  • Maul_Rat
    Maul_Rat
    ✭✭✭
    HiImRex wrote: »

The sad part is I put on golded prismatic but can do no damage on a DK. Not a huge fan of the class. I have undaunted and run medium shoulder and light BSW. I stack to 3 and whip, but its like 5k damage its so sad.

I run atronach on him and use the tri potions I had stacks of from daily logins.

*heavy pariah currently. Havent adjusted the gear because I am not having fun with DK
    I just want man flesh.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh I would not gold anything out until you are sure it works for you. Like I said, I made that mistake myself and golded a lot of sets that I don't even use now. Zos doesn't really reward you when you decon golded items, so I just keep them and hope it will become useful one day. Please do not waste any gold on sets and builds until you are sure you like it. Purple works just fine, I kill people easily in purple armor and blue jewelry.

As for your question, I use oblivion damage on my staff to cut through all the tanks. It goes right through their defense. Also, I would suggest occult overload, I use this when fighting zergs and it is just magical. Though I am still learning all this pvp business so there might be a better advice here for you. Good luck!!!
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Situational awareness is one of the most important skills in Cyrodiil.

There are people who have played for years and know every rock and blade of grass in the zone. They will line of sight out of damage.

Check who you are fighting, is it a 20k health "glass cannon" who will hit you hard but have little defence or a 50k tank who will take minor damage but will also do less.

Look at their PVP Rank are you fighting a 5-star Grand Overlord or a beginner? (Not all low levels are beginners of course)

Pick your fights if you can when you start to win a few get more adventurous.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    You can look at someone's rank? How?
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Put the cursor on them it will show a symbol - each level has a different one, if you see stars, they are high, bananas a bit lower, a couple of stripes beginner.

• biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I forgot to add, the squishy finder add on will show you their HP (on PC only of course)
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭

Put the cursor on them it will show a symbol - each level has a different one, if you see stars, they are high, bananas a bit lower, a couple of stripes beginner.

Ty!
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you follow "to the T" you stats should be exactly like what the you see in the build guide or video. If not, something is off. If they are exactly the same then it becomes a skill factor, movement, animation cancelling, reaction time, lag, ping, etc. Doing things in the right order, etc.

Necro bomber is only good in groups. You will get wrecked if you try to 1vX or get caught on the back foot. You will fail more than you succeed, but a successful bomb can be pretty spectacular. Necro is the class I play the most.

Dunno about NB; I've never been good at that class, but my guess that really good NB players are highly skilled at animation cancelling and circle strafing to stay inside the target's hit box so they cannot react.
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has most likely already been said, but I wanted to add my voice because I experienced the same issue.

So, I started playing PVP seriously about a year ago, and I spent the first six months reading and watching builds, then spending all of my gold creating and golding out these builds. None of them ever worked for me, and I was dying with no kills. Today, these golded builds are still sitting in my bank and collecting dust.

It wasn't until I started actually making friends with pvpers that I realized a build can only get you so far. First, I had to learn how to fight in pvp and more specifically, how to fight with my class. I needed to better understand my abilities and practice on what works best for me. Only then could I select a build that is appropriate for my skills. I found that I am much better at being a ranged fighter than in any other form. Maybe one day I'll learn how to fight at close range, but for now I make builds that play to my strengths.

Also, Learn about buffs, CP points, crafting traits, and enchants. So I didn't know anything about traits, buffs, guild skills, or anything else for a while. As a result, I wasn't really creating builds to met my needs. I only found out about this a few months ago, and it has drastically changed my builds. When I made or purchased sets, I never applied any enchanting to them. I had no idea it was so important! Nor did I realize how much CP points played a part in pvp. Mostly because I never really needed all of that in pve, it is a lot easier than pvp. Which is why I love pvp.

You also need to learn about other classes and their abilities. Determine which faction does what and how to avoid it. Of course, each faction has a diverse set of classes and races. However, after a while of playing, you will notice certain people, groups, and so on. For example, ball groups, gankers, and bombers. These are the things I try to be aware of so that if a bomber approaches, I can either move away from them, kill them, or warn those around me. Whatever is most convenient at the time. I still die to gankers though...they give me nightmares.

So, for example, I recently switched to an inferno staff, not only because it does more damage, but also because it deals additional damage to vamps. To be honest, almost everyone in cyro is probably a vamp. Of course, not all, but many. When it comes to actual fighting and being more aggressive, I still have a lot to learn, but I believe that understanding your skills and strengths will be extremely beneficial when creating builds.

I'm not sure what build videos you watch, but I usually take advice from the following and then make it into my own by merging my own sets and or traits I like.

Sawman, Asian Mayhem, Luca Cash, Deltia, and MalcolM. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that come to me at the moment.

Everything said here is solid gold advice in my opinion.