The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magblade needs hugs

• Kode
    Kode
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this post. I took a pretty long break from ESO and came back to my NB main and unpacking their frustrating state. I played my alt Magplar and Magden and substantiated my feelings. I'm working harder on Nightblade to do less damage. It doesn't feel good and the rotation makes me frustrated, especially when the results are subpar.
    I hope some of the changes make things better but our primary damage sources are so bad that we are losing class identity trying to use any dots that help us build more dps.
    Kode Darkstar, Aldmeri Dominion
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    After further inspection, it actually looks like the changes for magblade *were* actually good for pve :D

(Realized I had forgotten to follow up on this thread!)

So, magblade actually did get hugs!!! :D Ty zos

And once the maelstrom inferno staff bug gets hotpatched all will be good in the world of magblade.

I hope their pvp high performance doesn't cause the pve effects to get nerfed, but I think things are on a good path.

Some additional feedback tho:
    - I wish consuming darkness (the shadow ulti) got a change to make it useful, as it doesn't serve much of a purpose anywhere right now :/ I'd hoped for like major vuln or something on it, and a scaling down of the other synergy heals, but it still remains an odd ability

So, things are actually good now Kode :)
    Kode wrote: »
    Thanks for this post. I took a pretty long break from ESO and came back to my NB main and unpacking their frustrating state. I played my alt Magplar and Magden and substantiated my feelings. I'm working harder on Nightblade to do less damage. It doesn't feel good and the rotation makes me frustrated, especially when the results are subpar.
    I hope some of the changes make things better but our primary damage sources are so bad that we are losing class identity trying to use any dots that help us build more dps.

Previous post before people started to figure things out:
    Yeah, this is... not good for pve magblade... at all. People were already running around cyrodiil 1 shotting with magblades.

I don't understand </3 :'(

I can't even believe this. Stamcros *still* parsing 123k this patch, and magblade went down even further...

Idk how much more tales of tribute and overland I can play until I go find a new game.

• Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    is this now or after the U35 PTS patch that is currently curbstomping all classes except NB? lol

That's like saying Sorc got heaps of buffs, you know, an extra 2k heal to dark conversion, minor protection for bound aegis, minor endurance to empowered ward, twilight got cost reduction and attronach got a massive 30% AoE buff.

Which are all true.

The issue is that Magblade is the worst class in the game whilst stamblade are pretty good and they are NOT the same.

Ranged Magblade got the biggest nerfs this patch with heavy attacks from stealth being nerfed to the point where they're literally useless. We also got a 10% speed loss to concealed weapon, our back bar getaway slot.

Marked target now costs magicka, so, the destro debuff is now better than the class morph because who on earth wants a heal after a kill?

Magblades need some serious love.

Swallow soul sucks. You can run wretched vitality, slot silver bolts and have contingently 28% more damage to your spammable. How stupid is that? Even Crushing shock does more damage when you factor in status effects and the armor bypass, not to mention it's 20% cheaper which is massive.

Cloak doesn't work many times but it still costs nearly 4k and we really on it for our resolve buffs but when it doesn't fire not only are you a sitting duck, you're a sitting duck with no armor buff and 4k less magicka to defend yourself.

It's so far from fair on the weakest class. There's a reason only us masochist run magblade in PVP.

All 3 of us.

Just roll a Temp or Dk and railstomp the comp

I've switched to magblade (the class I perform the worst on, by a large margin) for this patch after playing my main (magsorc) for the past few patches and the difference was night and day for how strong and fluid magblade feels for pvp now (U35) compared to magsorc. It has very high damage, very high mobility/kiting, good healing, solid sustain and good mitigation and rolls around almost as much as my stamblade used to.

My build is a post nerf 1 bar build, with oaken + night mother's + will power + balorghs + 1 piece trainee, if I need to go tankier, I can swap will power for potentates and night mother for rallying cry or mara's balm and incap for soul tether.

A double bar set up would be even stronger with access to the stronger sea serpents coil mythic and more abilities/utility such as killer's blade, vigor, siphoning attacks, refreshing path, psijic ultimate, etc and access to the stronger front bar/back bar + mythic + trainee + monster set up.

While they are not as naturally tanky as dk/cro/plar, they are by no means weak anymore in pvp and can definitely hold their own and honestly after the changes and the caluurions nerf, it's probably better than stamblade for ganking with concealed weapons unique +10% damage done from stealth combining with incaps unique +20% damage taken on target + vamps +300 weapon/spell damage from stealth means that your incap guaranteed crits into a concealed weapon that gains +300 flat weapon/spell damage and also deals 30% more damage, even more if you have spec bow stacks up as well.
    I'm consistently getting 15k+ incaps into 12k concealed weapon hits, easily leaving most enemies on 10% or less health from just those 2 hits alone. Super tanky enemies with very high crit resist are still a struggle to kill, but they have always been an issue for gankers to kill anyway, so that hasn't changed. Also, with the changes to the meta through less pressure and more burst focussed nature, nbs are going to excel as they don't have to be concerned about insane dot pressure and can focus more on damage or just focus their mitigation into direct/burst damage.

As for pve, I can't say as I don't pve on nb (I prefer pvp in general and I just prefer playing other classes for pve, always have). But I have seen a few videos of nbs with 100k+ parses, yes they aren't "assassins", but that is more to do with requiring actual sustained damage per second (requiring DoT abilities to buff those dps numbers) for a long duration in pve instead of instantly bursting "assassinating" enemies (which would be broken if that were the case, as all players would just solo all the content in the game on a nb as they could just 1 shot "assassinate" everything if nbs were to be "assassins" in actual gameplay instead of just thematically).
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's so far from fair on the weakest class. There's a reason only us masochist run magblade in PVP.

All 3 of us.

It's completely ridiculous. Patch after patch for at least a year now. And I expect little to change this update.

Rebalancing is fine, but leaving a class dropping like a stone for so long is pure negligence.

I'm done. Deleted my characters. Gave away all my stuff.

I spent 8 years learning to play Magblade and now it's literally unplayable unless you tank or gank and that's not right at all.

If you don't get damage from heavy attacks then a spammable from stealth ain't killing anybody and you can't even use Caluurions now because heavy attacks are the proc so your burst combo is cut in half.

I'm done. I don't need balance but nerf after nerf for the last 5 years is enough.

Eeeew Ive always hated heavy attacks.
    Can you not gank from stealth with sated fury + swallow soul + impale?