The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you consider Azura morally good ??

Grandchamp1989
Grandchamp1989
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Question if you find the Daedric Prince of Azura to be a morally good entity based on the lore we know of her.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 28, 2022 6:48PM

Do you consider Azura morally good ?? 201 votes

She is mostly morally Good
11%
AelorinMasterSpatulaMorimizoFischyJonespaulsimonpsSarannahsPark101RadagastThePinkTúrin_Vidsmidrredlink1979YandereGirlfriendfaeeichenlaubACamaroGuySuna_Ye_SunnabeJimbob47AzuraFanElendir2amRemathilisEmilyElizabethESOmoleculardrugs 24 votes
She is mostly morally Bad
6%
WhiteCoatSyndromeSheezabeastiyxAnhedonieMartoGrimmWeedThiefTheImperfectNarvuntienXaricoSkillasaurus88HappyTheCamperHapexamendiosFenris_ArainaiGaliferno 14 votes
She is morally Gray (does some good and some bad)
74%
BlueRavenGalenAlchemicalGedericDarcyMardinopajwenchmore420b14_ESODanikatValveAlienSlofSkayaqKhenarthiLaexasZephiran23DaiKahnstarkerealmMonopsTreseleganthondelinkJoanOfOrc 150 votes
Unsure
6%
ThorntongueTryxusmertustaMalthornekiesoAsdaraShardan4968N3CR01rexagamemnonjoergingerSammyKhajitBobargusTaSheen 13 votes
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    She is entirely self-interested, like all Daedric Princes. Morallity doesn't figure in her decision making processes. She'll say/do whatever needs to be said/done to get a hold of your mortal soul.
    PC EU
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see Meridia as one of the... better aligned Daedric Princes, but they are still a Daedric Prince. They're hella shady. If I remember correctly, Meridia was even one of the Magna-Ge - one of the members old molders of the Mortal Plane who noped out of Mundus along with Magnus. Unlike other Princes, Meridia would technically be weaker and have played a part in the creation of Nirn, albeit a smaller one. However, they also became scorned or something as a Magna-Ge which is why they are seen as a Daedric Prince. Of course, this lore could have been reconned but it's what I remember from research.

Also, despite being aligned with "good traits" like Light aspects and hating undead, Meridia is meant to be like... the extreme side of these qualities. They are very scolding of those who disappoint them and still see mortals as mere pawns.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on it.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here's how I view them... :)
    4Whlk6x.png
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure
    Good and evil are concepts that can't really be applied to a Daedra.

Even with a seemingly benevolent or good-alligned Prince like Azura, there's always a catch.
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    She is mostly morally Good
    Azurah is credited with introducing moon sugar to Khajiit.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    She lies, she manipulates, she uses and sacrifices mortals to achieve her selfish goals. Not much good there.
    Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    She wants to be loved so will sometimes do good things for selfish reasons but mostly she demands your everything, she is something of a cult leader type. She demands your love she doesn't earn it.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only an evil entity could have a follower like this.

https://youtu.be/fTpHU3U1b3s
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's beautiful so she gets a pass.
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedra are simply agents of change; they don't care one whit about morality or good or evil. Aedra are agents of stasis, Deadra are agents of change. Each one has its own best interests at heart and see Nirn as a plaything. Ascribing anything more than that is folly.
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    She's portrayed as such though we know perfectly that we're just a tool for their play, morals are kinda irrelevant.
    Edited by colossalvoids on July 19, 2022 12:11PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The three Good Daedra of the Dunmer/Chimer aren't good in the sense of objective morality, but rather because they were champions of the Velothi.

Even though it might seem strange, they reclaim their place in Dunmer worship because they are still their champions. There are certainly consequences for the Tribunal's hubris, like Vivec's meteor falling and causing Red Year. However, it's Azura's prophecies that ensure that the Nerevarine saves them from the greater threat of Dagoth Ur, and the Temple knows it.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All deadric princes view us as chess pieces. None of them are here to actually help us. They will sacrifice any of us in a second if it means they get closer to whatever they currently view as “victory”, or even if we are no longer needed for their plans.

Meridia and Azura’s goals just happen to sort of go along with our views of morality, but those princes are not “here for us”.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As other people have said morality doesn't feature in a daedra's decision making. They don't care and in many cases may not even understand what mortals would consider to be a good or bad action, they just do what serves their own interests.

Azura does want her mortal followers to genuinely like her and to obey her of their own free will. Which is in contrast to Meridia who will pretty much brainwash people into following her, and most of the other princes who will use fear and threats to make mortals obey. But that's because vanity and egotism is one of her spheres and it wouldn't be as meaningful to her if her followers were acting under duress. She wants them to like her, not just to obey.

I think one or more of the 'darkness and creepy things' daedric princes (Nocturnal, Vaermina, Mephala, Namira etc) will also only take followers who have chosen it of their own free will, and they're largely considered evil. But I can't remember which one because to be honest they all tend to blur together in my mind.

Other than that it's mostly that Azuras spheres of influence and interests are things which are seen as either neutral (dawn and dusk) or could be good or bad (fate) to mortals rather than that she chooses to use her powers for good or to benefit mortals.

(Two of my characters actually worship Azura, along with other deities. But even they're wary if she or her followers asks them to do anything for her. It's not guaranteed to go badly, but they wouldn't be under any illusions they're seen as more than a useful tool either.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the one hand she cares about her followers, but on the other she throws fits when things don't go her way and starts lashing out. All Chimer were cursed for the actions of 3, even the Ashlanders who didn't turn their backs on her.

You could say she is good most of the time but does evil when she gets angry. Her morality is also further called into question when you consider who her allies are - Mephala and Boethia.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still remember that quest in Skyrim when you go in to fight the final boss inside Azura’s star itself.

As you were in fighting the boss, a priestess of Azura, who dedicated her life to her, stayed on that mountain top in the cold because Azura wanted her to, was basically abandoned by Azura because “she had served her purpose” in guiding the Dragonborn on that quest. You can tell she was devastated, she had done her duty, served Azura perfectly for many years, and yet was abandoned.

That should be the lesson here when dealing with any daedric prince.
    Edited by BlueRaven on July 19, 2022 1:51PM
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see Meridia as one of the... better aligned Daedric Princes, but they are still a Daedric Prince. They're hella shady. If I remember correctly, Meridia was even one of the Magna-Ge - one of the members old molders of the Mortal Plane who noped out of Mundus along with Magnus. Unlike other Princes, Meridia would technically be weaker and have played a part in the creation of Nirn, albeit a smaller one. However, they also became scorned or something as a Magna-Ge which is why they are seen as a Daedric Prince. Of course, this lore could have been reconned but it's what I remember from research.

Only Meridia is considered a Daedric Prince, and IMO she's one of the worst. Meridia is quite literally the fallen angel that was kicked out of heaven. She may be a creature of light, but the blinding, searing kind. She doesn't hate undead because she's good and they're evil, she hates undead because she considers them a mockery of the personal losses she sufferred when she partook in the creation of the mortal world.

Other Daedric Princes consider mortals as pets or playthings, some even have a kind of fondness for one group or the other, they deal with mortals when they have similar goals or just to amuse themselves, but they don't really care about mortals. In Meridia's mind, mortals owe her unconditional love and loyalty for the role she had in creating the world. Disobedience is heresy, and heretics are burned by holy light.

As for Azurah. She has a soft spot for Dunmer, as long as they aren't worshiping some high traitor impostor gods, and she generally hasn't much harmful intent in her agenda, so yeah, she's one of the better ones, almost decent, actually, but that's not enough to be considered "good".
    Edited by Toanis on July 19, 2022 2:55PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4Whlk6x.png

Very interesting! I can't see some of these too well, especially the bottom row. Could you type this too?
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good or Evil tends to be a subjective choice based on our personal interests. What’s good for me must be good for everyone else, right? Except for them, they deserve smiting.

So our priests are good, and their witches are evil, even though they act the same. Daedric Princes have greater power, but their motivations are no different. They can be altruistic, when it suits them.
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thing is all daedra are inherently evil.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4Whlk6x.png
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    4Whlk6x.png

Very interesting! I can't see some of these too well, especially the bottom row. Could you type this too?

Typed out version, brackets are my commentary on it:

Meridia Lawful Good (she doesn't like free will and supported the Ayleids against their rebelling human slaves, so lawful evil)
    Azura Neutral Good (punished an entire people when 3 of them betrayed her, even those who didn't end up following those 3. lawful evil)
    Hircine Chaotic Good (Neither chaotic, nor good. The hunt is lawful evil, because he doesn't like cheating but will hunt anyone so long as they are worthy prey)
    Malacath Lawful Neutral (revenge is more neutral than evil, so it checks out and Trinimac would be lawful good)
    Sanguine True Neutral (I could see him as neutral evil because he traps people in his parties against their will and until they die. he doesn't seem very chaotic or lawful)
    Sheogorath Chaotic Neutral (Sheogorath is very much evil and ironically not even that chaotic. If you made a deal with him, he will honor that deal, unless you start rubbing it in and he changes his mind. neutral evil. being random doesn't make you chaotic)
    Molag Bal Lawful Evil (probably accurate, he had to find a loophole in the coldharbor compact for his invasion by having Mannimarco start the planemeld from the inside)
    Boethia Neutral Evil (difficult to place because she usually doesn't come to people, but people come to her for power, so maybe chaotic neutral actually. eitherway she continuously tests and betrays her champions, which is chaotic, but because she is also very open about that it could be interpreted as a code or set of laws she follows. Neutral evil fits, but so would lawful evil and chaotic evil
    Mehrunes Dagon Chaotic Evil (didn't care about the coldhabor compact he signed and invaded tamriel anyway, chaotic evil is correct, although a dagon cultist would put him as chaotic good because the ends justify the means in their eyes)

The missing ones according to me:

Namira, neutral evil, doesn't do any underhanded things, wants her followers to stay miserable forever
    Peryite, chaotic evil, sends plagues on anyone and anything just to see if they would survive it or not
    Mephala, chaotic evil, lies and deceives, murders people
    Hermaeus Mora, chaotic neutral or chaotic evil, his pursuit of knowledge is neutral but how he gets that knowledge doesn't matter to him, so he would commit evil if he has to, but it isn't necessarily the first option he tries. Rules do not matter to him, he will readily break them if they are in the way of him getting more knowledge.
    Clavicus Vile, text book definition of lawful evil, contracts and agreements are very important to him, which makes him lawful, but he wants you to kill a dog and so he is evil.
    Vaermina, chaotic evil ... probably, we didn't really get to interact with her a lot, but she seems quite evil and there is no clear code or rules she is following, so either neutral or chaotic but probably chaotic.
    Nocturnal, chaotic evil, doesn't follow any rules, breaks the deal she made with her comrades, encourages evil acts

Edit, forgot Nocturnal.
    Edited by Ratzkifal on July 19, 2022 4:52PM
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsure
    🤷‍♂️

By akatosh we shall purge their influence from nirn.
    Edited by kieso on July 19, 2022 6:44PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedric princes are not part of mortal morality such as good and evil, but instead fit the "blue and orange" morality.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ratzkifal

Thanks! 🙏 I'll have do consider this myself later!
  • Alchemical
    Alchemical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedra are all firmly on the 'Daedra' side of the alignment scale. Even the ones who's interests seemingly align with ours, they exist on a scale we simply can't comprehend. Hundreds of years and thousands of plots is the equivalent of a Wednesday afternoon.

Meridia and Azura both find mortals endearing to a degree and so we're least often the butt of their plots, but it doesn't mean they don't conspire to manipulate and steer the course of our world to their ends. See TES3, in which Azura's revenge is more or less self satisfying, and while it 'helps' in the short term by getting rid of the Blight, it ultimately leads to the destruction of the Dunmer's homeland because she was mad at 3 individuals over something they did 1000s of years ago.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that The Baelborne Quest in Glenumbra illustrates a very specific point when you talk with the Daedra at the end:

Player: Why help Claudie? The Dremora are evil.
    Tachnim:"Evil? Such a mortal way of thinking. I exist to serve a purpose. Right now, that purpose is to ward this land from the Baelborne.
    When my master commands it, my purpose will change. That is not good or evil. It simply is."

We are always trying to put things in a Box, Azura does things to benefit her or things that she finds value in, that's pretty much the bottom line. She Assists Vivec in Morrowind because she cares about the meteor crashing into Morrowind as well as the other Daedric Prince stealing Vivecs Power would probably be annoying for her.

All Daedric Princes are Neutral, they serve themselves, they align with others to strengthen their own goals.

Now we may consider their goals Evil or Good, Like Domination or Planesmelding. But They are what they are.
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daedric princes are not part of mortal morality such as good and evil, but instead fit the "blue and orange" morality.

That reminds me of Sotha Sil's dialogue and how most animals cannot be evil because evil requires being able to reflect on actions, knowing that you shouldn't be doing them but doing them anyway. A lion is not evil for eating an antelope, its just following its nature. So a Daedric Prince that can only be the way they are (because only player characters are free) cannot be evil in that sense, because that is in their nature.
    Definitely worth thinking about.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »

That reminds me of Sotha Sil's dialogue and how most animals cannot be evil because evil requires being able to reflect on actions, knowing that you shouldn't be doing them but doing them anyway. A lion is not evil for eating an antelope, its just following its nature. So a Daedric Prince that can only be the way they are (because only player characters are free) cannot be evil in that sense, because that is in their nature.
    Definitely worth thinking about.

Yup. I've always been quite fond of the fable The Scorpion and the Frog/Turtle (They are two similar but slightly different versions). Which to me have told that quite well. Same as animals are not evil, just being what's in their nature, daedra are just daedra. They are not mortals and therefore don't have the same morals, struggles or views.

Mortals have various opinions, such as many consider Molag Bal evil (though that varies from culture to culture). But Molag Bal himself is not evil nor good, he's simply Molag Bal. Just like a scorpion is a scorpion.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The daedric princes are beyond our mortal concepts of ethics and morality. It's like asking if an avalanche is good or evil, the concepts don't really apply to it. Destructive? Sure. Dangerous? Oh yes. Fickle? Yeah, kinda. But, Good or Evil? No.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ngl, I've considered Meridia pure evil since Skyrim. That damn beacon we got in Skyrim drove me up the wall irl, never mind in game. Eventually would just go grab it and go do something else away from the console whilst she spouted her drivel.