Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Very Important! Adjust Weapon Glyphs to match 2s DoT cadence!

Zodiarkslayer
Zodiarkslayer
✭✭✭✭✭
I wish to highlight the fact that (preferably) all weapon glyphs need to be adjusted.
As an example, on live we currently have 100% uptime on Crusher, Weakening and (imo most importantly) Weapon Damage Glyph. With an Infused backbar weapon, the effects end at 5 secs, but are already off cooldown, so it can proc again.
That has been a staple mechanic for as long as I can remember playing ESO.

On PTS 8.1.0 we have a cadence of 2 seconds for all AoE DoTs now. That means abilitites proc at 2s, 4s, 6s and 8s (an so on). I do not wish to discuss that change here.
The result however is a 1 second interval between the effect's end at 5s and its reapplication at 6s. Or 7s and 8s respectively, I am not sure about that, yet. Regardless, this effectively creates a involontary 20% nerf.

I hope this didn't get overlooked and gets adjusted before U35 goes live.
Edited by Zodiarkslayer on July 17, 2022 1:54PM
If anyone here says: OH! But, PVP! I swear I'll ...

Thank you for the valuable input and respectfully recommend to discuss that aspect of ESO on the PVP forum.
  • MaraxusTheOrc
    MaraxusTheOrc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Good post.
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, what they need to do is bring back DoTs to how they were before.

Glyphs are fine, it's DoTs timing what is wrong.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »

I doubt they are going back to a 1sec cadence. Going back would mean the entire U35 becomes invalidated.

Thank you for the valuable input and respectfully recommend to discuss that aspect of ESO on the PVP forum.
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar issues for every set or skill dependent on number of ticks, too.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the entire U35 becomes invalidated.

Good.
  • Lykeion
    Lykeion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt they are going back to a 1sec cadence. Going back would mean the entire U35 becomes invalidated.

Sounds great
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not every skill needs to go back, just the few weapon line area DoTs that proc enchants. Also some heals should tick faster for other reasons.

Even the enchants that seem like they would synergize with the new system are broken. Infused elemental damage glyphs should be on the same 2s cooldown as DoT ticks, but they fail to proc half the time due to tick timing. In this demonstration I should gave procced the Poison enchant 11 times, but it only hit 6.

image.png
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on July 17, 2022 4:03PM
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was about to make a post about this. I think the devs probably overlooked enchantments, Torug's Pact, and the Infused trait with these dot changes.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    I was about to make a post about this. I think the devs probably overlooked enchantments, Torug's Pact, and the Infused trait with these dot changes.

Torugs Pact is a good point. Also should add Heartland Conquerer to the list, although I don't think it has ever worked properly with Infused cooldown reduction.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Torugs Pact is a good point. Also should add Heartland Conquerer to the list, although I don't think it has ever worked properly with Infused cooldown reduction.

IIRC Heartland only affected the power portion of the infused trait and not the cooldown so I didn't name it, but maybe someone can confirm that.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Infused elemental damage glyphs should be on the same 2s cooldown as DoT ticks, but they fail to proc half the time due to tick timing....
    I feared as much. Thanks for confirming it.

I phrased the thread name "weapon glyph" because of that. Probably every weapon glyph and consequently every build will be affected. Everyone will feel it.

Another example: Tanks cannot use Infused Crusher Backbars, if it is inconsistent and has significant cooldowns. Raid leads will have to adjust Penetration tables to account for that.

That should be on the combat teams radar.

• Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mentioned the same thing in a couple topics. Here's a comparison to live and PTS just for reference sake:

f4t0mej8unkx.png
    ahho2l8wnymg.png

This applies to all weapon enchantments, but, for example, possibly the most noticeable will be Crusher and Berserker, with Weakening coming in for some content. However, this isn't actually an issue with the enchantments themselves, but purely because of the DoT frequency change where you can no longer rely exclusively on your ground based AoE to do the work for you. Having tested some methods, by, for example, doing a juggling act of two back bar DoTs, followed by going front bar for two more abilities, then back bar for two more, I can get a light attack to reapply the enchantment for much higher than the ~86% maximum uptime you will otherwise get by just letting the AoEs handle the task for you. Tanks who spend more time on their back bar spamming Clench, for example, will also see higher than this uptime (or double staff). But it creates a scenario in which a skill gap has just been created in opposition to their stated goal.

I did do some additional testing on this and tanks actually have an easier time of this. In order to keep up maximum uptime, a tank can use Crusher on both their staff/two-handed/large weapon and have an additional infused weapon (small) front bar. For a few years now, Crusher has been refreshed at the largest possible value, so if someone is using Torug's then it won't be overriden by someone else, but rather refreshed. The same is true of a one-handed infused Crusher reapplying/refreshing back bar weapon Crusher. Example log.

Edited by Troodon80 on July 17, 2022 5:35PM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • prof_doom
    prof_doom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to do one of the two. I'd prefer 1 second ticks, but if they refuse to do that, then they can't go live without fixing the glyphs.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC Heartland only affected the power portion of the infused trait and not the cooldown so I didn't name it, but maybe someone can confirm that.

Yep, you are correct. There's no indication that is intended, but it was never fixed. AFAIK it should affect the entire weapon trait, not half of its effect. The tooltip reads " Increase the effectiveness of your Weapon Traits by 100%. This does not affect Ornate or Intricate traits." with no exception stated for Infused.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly I think ZoS should allow class DoTs to proc currently equipped enchants for the sake of the "play how you want" philosophy that is currently trending. They are once again buffing generic skill line DoTs to be more powerful than class DoTs with little to no tradeoff so it would be nice QoL if they gave players that option at least.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being Mr Obvious here, the solution is fairly straightforward.

Extend the duration of the effect glyphs to 6s and the cooldown to 11s.

The damage glyphs need a 5s cooldown and a magnitude adjustment of at least +20% to make up for the difference in damage per second.

Maybe even consider to extend the duration of the corresponding status effects to match the cooldown.