High Isle Feedback

KitsuneShoujo
KitsuneShoujo
✭✭✭
The isles are quite pretty from what I've seen so far. Kinda reminds me of Italy with all the cypress trees along the roads and the wayshrines that look like decorated pavillions, quite lovely and pastoral. I think they would look a lot better without those gimmick events (volcano vents) marring the landscape. Was that really the best you could come up with? Why not pirates or something Lovecraftian? Gonfalon Bay had strong Shadow Over Innsmouth vibes.

I love the Arthurian vibes I am getting from some of the areas, like the tourney grounds where you meet Isobel, and apparently Ember's quest is very Sorcerer's Apprentice, which is one of my favourite movies.

For an archipelago that's supposed to be a Breton country it sure has a lot of Imperials. The mini-Camelot where you pick up Isobel's quest in particular.

I think you need to do another pass with Isobel's character, she's supposed to be quite young it seems, but her character doesn't really reflect this. And again, why is she an Imperial? Laura Bailey did a fantastic job bringing her to life. She's very endearing, big "little sister" vibes.

I was hoping Isobel and Aurelia were going to be in love and not just childhood friends, but the story as it is was delightful. 9.5/10 stars will play it again. There was a glitch at the end where you take the commander in her chambers. She's talking to Aurelia, but Aurelia didn't load in, or she disappeared as soon as she did so.

Either I couldn't find it, or there was no breadcrumb quest from either Jakarn or Arabelle taking you to High Isle. It's not totally necessary I know, since you can just wayshire there, but I like consistency. A letter telling you to meet one or both of them in Wayrest or Daggerfall or somewhere would have been nice.

The crafting area in Gonfalon Bay is almost better than the one in Rimmen which I consider the best one in the whole game. It would be if they weren't behind a loading screen.

Over all, I think you folks did a bang-up job crafting the islands, I haven't been everywhere yet, but I'm a big fan of pirate-y themes and tropical islands.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The new trial just feels fun and refreshing

P.S I like the many ways you can fall to your death and take others with you
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on June 7, 2022 3:48PM
    Options
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The aesthetics are absolutely beautiful. They could've added more details like more items or plants lying around, but the world building of the Systres Islands is masterful.
    Options
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    Because I couldn't edit my op: Ember needs another pass too. Her eyes glitch through her eyeslids. I'm not sure if it's those wonky sulfur yellow eyes, or if they are set too far forward. Her neck is also too thick to be porportional - but that's a minor issue, the eyes are more distracting.
    The fun trial just feels fun and refreshing

Fun trial?

Options
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because I couldn't edit my op: Ember needs another pass too. Her eyes glitch through her eyeslids. I'm not sure if it's those wonky sulfur yellow eyes, or if they are set too far forward. Her neck is also too thick to be porportional - but that's a minor issue, the eyes are more distracting.
    The fun trial just feels fun and refreshing

Fun trial?

I mean the new trial is fun
    Editing now
    Options
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In the trial you also get turned super tiny which is a laugh as not everyone turns that size
    Options
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    Oh did they change the new tutorial instance again? Last time I went through it was that island and you had to help the high elf mage.
    Options
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An awesome detail: there is a singing marine ( and pretty good at that! ) navigating Gonfalon bay on a punt (?).
    Tried to jump on his boat it to get a tour of the harbor. Just got wet instead, maybe next time.

Singing-mariner.jpg
    Options
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoraxFlux wrote: »
    An awesome detail: there is a singing marine ( and pretty good at that! ) navigating Gonfalon bay on a punt (?).
    Tried to jump on his boat it to get a tour of the harbor. Just got wet instead, maybe next time.

Singing-mariner.jpg

Devs already said in a Twitch stream that you can’t ride the boats. They blocked the ability to do it. Something about performance. :D
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
    Options
  • Sly80
    Sly80
    ✭✭✭
    Just visited Amenos for an antiquity, and the forest is amazing. I really felt I was in an old, almost oppressive forest where there were areas of deep shade. Very atmospheric along with a matching soundscape. I've only scratched the surface so far, but I suspect this release might be one of the best.
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you need to do another pass with Isobel's character, she's supposed to be quite young it seems, but her character doesn't really reflect this. And again, why is she an Imperial? Laura Bailey did a fantastic job bringing her to life. She's very endearing, big "little sister" vibes.

She's a breton, not imperial.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh did they change the new tutorial instance again? Last time I went through it was that island and you had to help the high elf mage.

No, it's not the tutorial. There's a trial (like Maelstrom et al) - Dreadsail Reef maybe? I don't have the ability to do that sort of content, but there have been various posts regarding it being pretty fun and quite well done.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoraxFlux wrote: »

Singing-mariner.jpg

Devs already said in a Twitch stream that you can’t ride the boats. They blocked the ability to do it. Something about performance. :D

For a reason beyond me, they said the game absolutely wigs out if you try standing on one of the moving boats, so they don't want people doing that.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far I'm having a blast, even though this isn't a end of the world expansion the cloak and dagger politics are fun and really puts you into the story.

Edited by DagenHawk on June 8, 2022 4:43PM
    Options
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done most of the side content but haven't made much progress on the main quest. I really like Ember, she's adorable and gleeful and mischievous and troubled all at the same time. I'm not much of a criminal, but at least she doesn't complain when I opportunistically steal stuff. The island is very pretty and there are a lot of great places to take screenshots. The concept and design of Amenos is also super cool - a bit like the Emerald Graves had a baby with the Frostback Basin. So far I've enjoyed myself a lot.

I haven't touched Tales of Tribute at all. Honestly, I don't typically like these sorts of card games. I intend to play it, if only to say I did (and to get those annoying quest markers to go away) but not until after I've done everything else. And it looks like there's still a good bit to do. This feels like a pretty decent amount of content. And I love seeing old friends again.
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
    Options
  • Czeri
    Czeri
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying High Isle as well. From little details, like the fact the ships are actually moving around instead of just staying in one place, to the quests and characters.

My favourite moment by far is Jakarn's distraction in Castle Navire. It was so effective I nearly forgot to sneak into the castle!

Also, loved the character of Adwig, in the missing Prowler quest.
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Important feedback: I want to either be able to joust at the tournament or watch a joust with trumpeting fanfare and a cheering crowd of NPCs.

And randomize which NPCs joust and who wins.

x9YS4Un.gif

This is important!

Edited by Holycannoli on June 8, 2022 7:30PM
    Options
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Czeri wrote: »
    My favourite moment by far is Jakarn's distraction in Castle Navire. It was so effective I nearly forgot to sneak into the castle!

"Voluptuous? Curvaceous? Oh, please. Did Elea hire that fellow to make a scene?"
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the spot that i remember about high isles was that big sunflower field lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    During the island part of the prologue I think it is... since it's related to High Isle I'll put it here. When you arrive at the island your boat - because it's just a rowboat lol, is on the right side (facing the building). When you get ready to depart, the boat has mysteriously moved to the left side of the docks. This needs to be fixed.
    Options
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes, this one has found many 'awesome' details. dw8PODM.jpg (Been here since the start and don't know where our money is going, but... the quality is severely lacking and it shows.)
    Edited by Coatmagic on June 9, 2022 3:15PM
    Options
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    Oh yes, this one has found many 'awesome' details. dw8PODM.jpg (Been here since the start and don't know where our money is going, but... the quality is severely lacking and it shows.)

Pretty obvious our money is funding the “space themed” mmo ZOS is creating.
    Options
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Was that one on the south western part of the main island with a chest near it?
    Options
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@ZOS_Kevin please pass this along
    Options
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sammy is playing slowly, going over the side quests and delves. The side quest stories are great fun! Amenos especially with the survivor vibe going.

Hate to break the news to Mirri, but Isobel has become the top ranked companion for this one. She is great in a fight and just a very chilled personality with the right amount of friendliness and fun. Sammy pairs her with the main Breton alt who is mostly a do gooder so doesn’t mind the lack of wealth acquisition. And of course, the voice acting is most excellent. Thanks Laura Bailey!

This one also greatly enjoys, for some inexplicable reasons, finding and opening clams. Please ZOS put clam meat in them for the full Oblivion effect.

ToT… will get to it eventually. Played the tutorial and then realised this one was WASTING his exp scrolls so had to run off and close a vent. Speaking of vents, can we please have something different from harrowstorms? This feels like Greymoor II which is very traumatising.

But overall, great quests, could make the zones more detailed (for a resort island, the beaches and seaside are incredibly bland and absent of men and mer tourists). Gotta go! Sammy is off saving the world with Dame Isobel!
    Options
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with most of the things said, however, I dislike the amount of moldy walls on this island. It's like the nobles cultivate it as a delicacy or something.

I haven't explored everything, yet, so far, it looks nice. To be honest, it's not inspiring ... For me, the vanilla Breton towns would feel more TES if they had a texture upgrade. I mean, the architecture isn't unique, it does not feel that is from the Elder Scrolls universe (or any other game), it looks great because it stems to much from real life. If you watched the Merlin series or the King Arthur movie with Sean Connery, you know what I mean.

It is sad that we can't sail any boats or have any ship vs ship action involving grappling hooks and siege combat. A big studio that was bought by Microsoft should have the means to overcome the technical issues regarding the performance mantra we keep hearing so often.

Regarding that the OP said about Isobel having a relationship with Aurelia, I am glad that it was left for the player to imagine if this was the case or not. I am all for NPC romance while the player is driving it, similar to Dragon Age games.

There is, however, something else that makes me doubt the success of this chapter. Where is everyone? I was trying to do a few world bosses in High Isle, and most of the time I was alone or with another player. This during peak time on EU/PC. It happened yesterday too. I have been playing since launch, and I remember each expansion release. There were tons of players everywhere, especially doing world bosses. There were much more players a week ago doing the boring Deadlands world bosses...
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
    Options
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    I agree with most of the things said, however, I dislike the amount of moldy walls on this island. It's like the nobles cultivate it as a delicacy or something.

I haven't explored everything, yet, so far, it looks nice. To be honest, it's not inspiring ... For me, the vanilla Breton towns would feel more TES if they had a texture upgrade. I mean, the architecture isn't unique, it does not feel that is from the Elder Scrolls universe (or any other game), it looks great because it stems to much from real life. If you watched the Merlin series or the King Arthur movie with Sean Connery, you know what I mean.

It is sad that we can't sail any boats or have any ship vs ship action involving grappling hooks and siege combat. A big studio that was bought by Microsoft should have the means to overcome the technical issues regarding the performance mantra we keep hearing so often.

Regarding that the OP said about Isobel having a relationship with Aurelia, I am glad that it was left for the player to imagine if this was the case or not. I am all for NPC romance while the player is driving it, similar to Dragon Age games.

There is, however, something else that makes me doubt the success of this chapter. Where is everyone? I was trying to do a few world bosses in High Isle, and most of the time I was alone or with another player. This during peak time on EU/PC. It happened yesterday too. I have been playing since launch, and I remember each expansion release. There were tons of players everywhere, especially doing world bosses. There were much more players a week ago doing the boring Deadlands world bosses...

I could be wrong but, I think they may have temporarily set a lower pop cap for each instance for the High Isle/Amenos instances to add to immersion for story stuff with the disadvantage that group content can be a bit deader than you'd expect.

I've found that when I swap characters and port in I am basically never in the same instance and my guild list has a bunch of people in High Isle all the time.
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is, however, something else that makes me doubt the success of this chapter. Where is everyone? I was trying to do a few world bosses in High Isle, and most of the time I was alone or with another player. This during peak time on EU/PC. It happened yesterday too.

Camping safeboxes.

Not even joking.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks for tagging, @FeedbackOnly. I'll pass this along. Appreciate it.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • SgtPepperUK
    SgtPepperUK
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but, I think they may have temporarily set a lower pop cap for each instance for the High Isle/Amenos instances to add to immersion for story stuff with the disadvantage that group content can be a bit deader than you'd expect.

I've found that when I swap characters and port in I am basically never in the same instance and my guild list has a bunch of people in High Isle all the time.

It was the same with Blackwood, though not as noticable with the Deadlands when that came out.

Seems they spin up more instances with, as you say, lower pop caps, for launch.
    Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Apparently in murkmire waiting for safeboxes to spawn.

It's like the mythic IS the chapter...

Edit: ZOS if your going to make a lead this hard to find then please at least put it in the new chapter zone and not an old one...
    Edited by wolfie1.0. on June 10, 2022 12:01AM
    Options