The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Oakensoul is OP again

• merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    PVPers in here going mental about an item that will see use for a week, then no one will ever use it again. I can think of one outlier case where it might be used thanks to the Major Heroism buff (a buff the ring doesn't really need imo), but outside that, I can't see it being used.

Someone that uses this ring in PVP is going to lose out on 20% effectiveness both in PVP and PVE, except at early to mid-level gameplay. If you're a mid-level PVPer, you might be shaking in your boots because now some people will do a bit better in short burst fights, but that won't change the fact that they're now gonna be squishy without their self heals. In PVE, everyone is theory-crafting these super builds that do a ton of damage... you know, 100k damage. No end-game player worth their salt is going to touch this ring because it doesn't do top-end damage. You're sacrificing damage for ease of access, and end game players aren't looking for ease of access, they're looking for damage.

I'd say it's a little bit overtuned. It doesn't need the Herosim buff at all; in fact, that's probably what's going to get ZoS to hit the ring with the sledgehammer again. They should remove this buff, and not replace it with anything. If they really wanted to keep it, lowering it to Minor would be better, but again, it doesn't need the buff. Major Heroism is what's going to get this item abused in pvp, most likely.

The 100K Pet Sorc one bar build will greatly benefit from this ring.

All one-bar builds benefit from this ring, since it's designed for one-bar builds. Any sorc is borked next patch with crystal weapon anyway.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This ring, currently, looks like it's to help sell a not so popular High Isle update. It has room to be nerfed first pts after release to Minor everything.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 24, 2022 12:11AM
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major Heroism by itself is really worrying. When combined with all the other buffs, this ring is just really OP. Someone in my guild brought it up to me two days ago and I said that I thought it had been nerfed, when it went from completely OP to not much. I thought that the dev notes for that change were sensible.

I cannot fathom how they thought it needed these huge boosts, all of a sudden.

When people tell me that this is being done deliberately to sell High Isle, its difficult for me to form any alternative theory.

When the devs design a set, they must obviously have some sense of what is balanced. They might not have a mathematical formula, but no set has come before which provides this number of buffs in ONE piece.

You can still wear a Monster, and 1 five piece and 1 four piece, so the max that mythic should be able to provide is clearly calculable.

Sithis is strong, but has a strong drawback too.

In PvP, the backbar is mainly a buff bar anyway for most builds. So having only one bar but having those buffs always active is not really balanced at all.

There is a video made by TheRealGodzilla in which he has 80% uptime of Corrosive Armor.

I can think of many builds where cheaper ultimates can be spammed almost at will.

The meta that one can imagine where ultimate is so cheaply available is going to be crazy bursty and very low TTK.

i would argue that this ring cannot go live in its current form.

Really not sure why Zenimax would encourage 1 bar builds to this level.

Even more confused as to why after sensibly adjusting it down, it gets tuned back up to these extreme levels.

After 3 weeks of High Isle, it will be nerfed and worthless. Happens with every DLC and an exploit set/ring.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maxdevil wrote: »
    Sources of major heroism are rare. Always having this buff seems overpowered

That’ll be $39.99.
    Ty for your service.
  • spongebobmovieticket
    Serous question, would more people running around on one bar builds help the lag?
  • Cuwen
    Cuwen
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think this is ZoS trying to help out the players from other countries. Some of you must not play with people from Australia or New Zealand. A lot of them can't swap bars due to the massive lag they receive, especially in vet PVP. I think this is a great thing for ZoS to bring in to try and help people with that problem. They can get their buffs now and have their skills on one bar, not needing to switch, which they rarely can. If ESO is sold outside of NA, then the company should make game adjustments for people who experience performance issues. They pay the same money we do, sometimes even more. So either a game should make improvements like this or stop charging money to play the game from other countries.
    Edited by Cuwen on June 4, 2022 5:09PM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Serous question, would more people running around on one bar builds help the lag?

No lol
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it would probably increase the number of actions per minute people do honestly.
    People have to pause or reset a fight to get their buffs back/keep all their timers active to stay offensive/defensive and sometimes you will see a brief pause in fighting because people have to reset everything. With out needing to do that, people can just focus on fighting meaning more spamming and bursting because you don't have to focus on "is my clever proc up?" "is my rally active" "is my armor buff active?' so on and so forth
    Edited by xDeusEJRx on June 4, 2022 7:38PM
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merforum wrote: »
    It is interesting that every single thing people keep saying they can do with OAKEN they can already do with a 2 bar setup even better. Reminds me of all the Crimson vids I saw while NO ONE actually wore it. The ring is never going to be Meta, but will make a lot more competition between mid level PVPers.

lol no sir a DK with major heroism at all times in combat will be OP think of 80% uptime on corrosive! The major Heroism should have been removed on the test server ZOS was told this was too much yet they ignore feedback.
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVPers in here going mental about an item that will see use for a week, then no one will ever use it again. I can think of one outlier case where it might be used thanks to the Major Heroism buff (a buff the ring doesn't really need imo), but outside that, I can't see it being used.

Someone that uses this ring in PVP is going to lose out on 20% effectiveness both in PVP and PVE, except at early to mid-level gameplay. If you're a mid-level PVPer, you might be shaking in your boots because now some people will do a bit better in short burst fights, but that won't change the fact that they're now gonna be squishy without their self heals. In PVE, everyone is theory-crafting these super builds that do a ton of damage... you know, 100k damage. No end-game player worth their salt is going to touch this ring because it doesn't do top-end damage. You're sacrificing damage for ease of access, and end game players aren't looking for ease of access, they're looking for damage.

I'd say it's a little bit overtuned. It doesn't need the Herosim buff at all; in fact, that's probably what's going to get ZoS to hit the ring with the sledgehammer again. They should remove this buff, and not replace it with anything. If they really wanted to keep it, lowering it to Minor would be better, but again, it doesn't need the buff. Major Heroism is what's going to get this item abused in pvp, most likely.

"Major Heroism is what's going to get this item abused in pvp, most likely."
    Exactly !!!
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will nerf this thing into Oblivion in the coming months. Don't get too attached.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No will not affect lag but takes one of the best aspects of the in-game combat where there is a skill mechanic now it has been removed. This dumb downs the combat, and will make combat less fun. What a bad decision!
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a hard time coming up with a lot one-bar builds that does not give up a lot to accomplish it; but there are some possible broken things that could happen just the same. I still eye corrosive armor what will stand out
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Durham wrote: »

No will not affect lag but takes one of the best aspects of the in-game combat where there is a skill mechanic now it has been removed. This dumb downs the combat, and will make combat less fun. What a bad decision!

How about give us a bar with 10 slots?

Oh, because of consoles you say? TIme to finally separate consoles from PC master race then.
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuwen wrote: »
    I actually think this is ZoS trying to help out the players from other countries. Some of you must not play with people from Australia or New Zealand. A lot of them can't swap bars due to the massive lag they receive, especially in vet PVP. I think this is a great thing for ZoS to bring in to try and help people with that problem. They can get their buffs now and have their skills on one bar, not needing to switch, which they rarely can. If ESO is sold outside of NA, then the company should make game adjustments for people who experience performance issues. They pay the same money we do, sometimes even more. So either a game should make improvements like this or stop charging money to play the game from other countries.

Except when the item is strong enough to be better than having a second bar in almost every case, and also can be used by people that happen to not be from Australia or New Zealand.

There really isn't any justification for the item, but I don't care as I am done with PvP for the patch. Saw enough on PTS when I was there for 3 seconds. The powercreep is real and it is gonna lead to another nerf either in the item or they will just nerf crit like they usually do and punish everyone else.

It was and is a poorly thought out mythic that will ruin balance down the line unless they put an even heavier cost on the mythic or remove buffs, and at that point it will be pointless.

ZOS should have designed it to only give either all offensive buffs or defensive ones, not nearly all of both esp. considering they've nerfed 5 piece sets that give attack and defense for less. Steadfast Hero set, for instance, is pathetic compared to the mythic.

Mathematically, the argument that it's balanced because you lose a backbar makes no sense when you gain APM, you gain sustain, and you gain bar slots that you couldn't have used anyway because of buffing -- then get a net buff effect that could not previously be possible without the mythic.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Just wait...I already spread the word on what builds should be ran with the mythic. Can't wait for the forums to start boiling.

Possibly the most toxic patch ever for PvP. And in PvE, since it gives such a huge DPS uplift, I wouldn't be surprised if its REQUIRED there.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Except when the item is strong enough to be better than having a second bar in almost every case, and also can be used by people that happen to not be from Australia or New Zealand.

There really isn't any justification for the item, but I don't care as I am done with PvP for the patch. Saw enough on PTS when I was there for 3 seconds. The powercreep is real and it is gonna lead to another nerf either in the item or they will just nerf crit like they usually do and punish everyone else.

It was and is a poorly thought out mythic that will ruin balance down the line unless they put an even heavier cost on the mythic or remove buffs, and at that point it will be pointless.

ZOS should have designed it to only give either all offensive buffs or defensive ones, not nearly all of both esp. considering they've nerfed 5 piece sets that give attack and defense for less. Steadfast Hero set, for instance, is pathetic compared to the mythic.

Mathematically, the argument that it's balanced because you lose a backbar makes no sense when you gain APM, you gain sustain, and you gain bar slots that you couldn't have used anyway because of buffing -- then get a net buff effect that could not previously be possible without the mythic.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Just wait...I already spread the word on what builds should be ran with the mythic. Can't wait for the forums to start boiling.

Possibly the most toxic patch ever for PvP. And in PvE, since it gives such a huge DPS uplift, I wouldn't be surprised if its REQUIRED there.

APM actually goes down with this item, even with casting more ultimates. Could be a good thing, bar swap is the least reliable mechanic for me in PVP.

I agree they'll be nerfing it next patch though. Hopefully Major Heroism is the only thing they touch, but I'd wager they use the full force of the nerf bat once everyone has bought this otherwise worthless chapter.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

APM actually goes down with this item, even with casting more ultimates. Could be a good thing, bar swap is the least reliable mechanic for me in PVP.

I agree they'll be nerfing it next patch though. Hopefully Major Heroism is the only thing they touch, but I'd wager they use the full force of the nerf bat once everyone has bought this otherwise worthless chapter.

Major heroism will definitely be the biggest issue here. I am already eying a build that will allow me to chain cast meteor or spam dawnbreakers.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

APM definitely doesn't go down with Oakensoul. It goes up because you can spam abilities without having to worry about mixing in bar swaps.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

APM definitely doesn't go down with Oakensoul. It goes up because you can spam abilities without having to worry about mixing in bar swaps.

Bar swap is an action though lol, it's used more than any other action and off the GCD.
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    The easiest thing to do then would be to prevent it from being used in PVP full stop.

I don't waant the potential of hassle free fun builds to be impacted by a much smaller community.
    Edited by Norith_Gilheart_Flail on June 7, 2022 12:37PM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you seen many builds yet using Oakensoul yet? I brace myself for the WW invasion alongside the army of bow sorcs making their way to PvP :D
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    have you seen many builds yet using Oakensoul yet? I brace myself for the WW invasion alongside the army of bow sorcs making their way to PvP :D

Presumably, no one has found the final lead yet, so it is doubtful anyone is running it at the moment.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’ll be OP for one or two patches and then they’ll nerf it, probably by removing Major Heroism.

• DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky Ghost has them all on Twitter. If they are true it's stupidly easy to get all five, especially when you consider how annoying the last batch were to farm (looking at you, Markyn).
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s pretty strong with the new sets
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This final Murkmire lead is rivaling the Shadowfen Kilt for sheer toxicity.

30 people camped over every lockbox in Murkmire and tons of trolls ruining it for everyone.
  • bluehomeos
    bluehomeos
    ✭✭
    I tried this just 2hrs with just normal build classes, lack of healing is really matter, but dmg is good.
    and of course, major heroism is insane.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This final Murkmire lead is rivaling the Shadowfen Kilt for sheer toxicity.

30 people camped over every lockbox in Murkmire and tons of trolls ruining it for everyone.

At least it has multiple spots, unlike 50 ppl at crab.
  • imno007b14_ESO
    imno007b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go. We all know they almost always release one or two sets with each expansion as extra incentive to get people to buy and then they nerf them not long afterward. But some of you couldn't wait, huh, you're so eager to get back to having mostly mediocre options? :D

In any case, when they do get around to nerfing it, there will likely no longer be much incentive to use it or choose a one-bar setup over a two-bar, except for those who enjoy the challenge or simplicity, and we'll be back to the same ol' same ol', so be careful what you wish for, I guess.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    They will nerf this thing into Oblivion in the coming months. Don't get too attached.

They just needa remove the Heroism and it wouldn't be abused in pvp.
    Vaoh wrote: »
    It’ll be OP for one or two patches and then they’ll nerf it, probably by removing Major Heroism.

Exactly. The rest is fine. It's the Herosim that isn't needed on the item. It's not like you miss out on Major Heroism without the second bar, it's just a plain added buff that makes it too strong in pvp I'd wager. If they really wanna keep heroism on it, minor will do.
    Edited by merpins on June 8, 2022 12:28AM