The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

UI Problem: Toggling "Accessibility Mode" turns on Gamepad Mode but doesn't turn it off

tsaescishoeshiner
tsaescishoeshiner
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
A lot of players are accidentally turning on Accessibility Mode (because of the log-in prompt to turn it on) and become confused at "the weird new UI". I've heard PTS players complain about the messed-up new UI, when in fact, they don't recognize that they're stuck in gamepad mode.

Here's the problem: When you turn Accessibility mode on, it forces gamepad mode on—even with NO controller connected. When you then turn Accessibility Mode off, it doesn't turn Gamepad Mode off. You have to manually turn it off—which isn't easy because most players don't even recognize what it is.

This will lead to major problems and confusion if it launches this way, because it'll look like a terrible new UI for keyboard players. I've been playing since beta and I've never used it before, I just randomly recognized it from seeing console screenshots.

If you haven't tried to use it with keyboard, it makes everything confusing and difficult, and there's no obvious indication that Gamepad Mode is even on.

The intention behind Accessibility Mode is probably good, but this implementation will turn a LOT of new, returning, and current players off at launch. Perhaps it gamepad mode shouldn't default to on with Accessibility Mode on.

For anyone trying to fix their UI:
1. Turn Accessibility Mode off. Go to Settings -> Accesibility Mode -> set it to OFF
2. Turn gamepad mode off (eevn if think it's off, try it): Go to Settings -> Gameplay -> scroll way down and set Gamepad Mode to OFF
PC-NA
in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find it moderately annoying the game pushes the accessibility / gamepad mode on me when I don't even have a controller attached and does not remember my choice. (I have used keyboard / mouse since my last joystick broke during 90s.)
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens if you have accessibility mode ON and Gamepad mode set to AUTOMATIC? Does it allow you to use KB/M with Gamepad UI then or does it not work that way?
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    What happens if you have accessibility mode ON and Gamepad mode set to AUTOMATIC? Does it allow you to use KB/M with Gamepad UI then or does it not work that way?

Accessibility mode overrides the Gamepad UI settings by forcing it to be ON.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »
    ADarklore wrote: »

Accessibility mode overrides the Gamepad UI settings by forcing it to be ON.

OH. That's kind of dumb then. I mean, if they already have the option for ON or Auto, what's the point of Accessibility mode??
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****