The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

no CP/proc magplar gear recommendations

malistorr
malistorr
✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

For Ravenwatch only (no proc sets), what do you recommend for gear selections for a magplar wanting to play mostly offensive? I will not run a defensive set at all (like Pariah or Swift) but may consider vamp3 for help with damage reduction and may use the Gaze mythic for a bit of health and defense. But what do you recommend for the best offensive sets. I was thinking something like a combo of Rattlecage and War Maiden but I'm worried I won't have enough max mag. Some PVP fights or keep attacks can get a bit long in no CP/proc so I'm not sure if going more pure damage vs. more resources (which also provide damage but just not as much) is the way to go. Templar doesn't have a skill with major sorcery and I won't be using a 2H weapon so Rattlecase would provide a good amount of spell damage + the 20% boost. I will not be getting major sorcery from pots either as I prefer tri-pots for emergency resource restore and help with recovery. Your serious recommendations appreciated and keep in mind no CP/proc only thank you!
Edited by malistorr on April 25, 2022 11:37PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think Heartlands with spinners front bar, potato back bar, 1 magma/thirsk, and markyn is a good magplar setup for Ravenwatch, with Degeneration slotted for major sorcery. If you’re dead set on Rattlecage, maybe run it with a crafted set like heartlands or seducer, spinners still an option too, also amberplasm.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rattlecage + Heartland + Markyn + monster piece of choice with 3 swift traits works nicely.

This is true for all classes and all specs by the way...

Rattlecage + Spinner frontbar + Willpower backbar + Markyn with 3 swift traits is also nice.
    Heartland + Spinner frontbar + Willpower backbar + Markyn with 3 swift traits if you run a skill with your 20% buff.
    Edited by Kaysha on April 26, 2022 12:57PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah 3 swift for sure. I know OP doesn’t want to use 2h but I think it’s viable for using rally.

This is what I’ve been considering, I don’t have much time for solo/small scale lately but I think it’d be good for how I play: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=433942
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Kaysha
    Kaysha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Yeah 3 swift for sure. I know OP doesn’t want to use 2h but I think it’s viable for using rally.

This is what I’ve been considering, I don’t have much time for solo/small scale lately but I think it’d be good for how I play: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=433942

That´s looking good.
    You could also do that with lightning staff frontbar + Degeneration and Willpower SnB backbar for SnB Ulti. A question of Preference. 20% prebuffed or SnB ulti. You definitely need a channeled staff on one bar for heavy attacks.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Use 2h with forward momentum for major sorcery
    Use mistform for major expedition/snare and immobilize removal

Sets - heartland conq + amberplasm if you want better sustain
    Heartland conq + new moon if you want more damage and healing
    Heartland conq + war maiden if you want more damage but are ok with less healing

2h would be a sharp maul with shock glyph
    Resto back bar powered with 350 glyph

Beam/purifying light, sweeps, source of major prophecy, forward momentum, toppling/javelin, crescent/meteor

Mist, rapid regen or resolving vigor or living dark, honor the dead, extended ritual, rune, resto ult or vamp ult

Other than that, markyn ring is an option. Or wild hunt. Or gaze. 1 pc magma recommended.

3 reinforced heavy (on chest, and then 2 from legs/helm/shoulders/boots) 1 well fitted med 3 impen or well fitted light (belt and gloves, theb whatever else) recommended.

If wild hunt all 3 infused jewels. If markyn or gaze, 2 swift 1 infused. Can run all damage glyphs but 1 cost reduction would be very good with mistform.

Sugar skulls
    Atro stone
    All tri stat glyphs
    20-30 points into hp (get over 30k preferred) and the rest into mag

Lastly, with decent sustain you could even use biting jabs which means you could drop 2h (no need for forward momentum) for dw (1 nirn sword 1 sharp mace) and then easily fit sweeps AND purifying light in your bars.

Should also be noted you can just use dawnbreaker as an ult for your stun and drop toppling/javelin for another survival/damage skill.

Hope this helps!

Edit - just now saw the bit about no 2h.
    So the 2nd last paragraph I guess would be highly recommended as the course of action
    Edited by gariondavey on April 26, 2022 3:32PM
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the replies so far. A lot of what's been suggested I think I've tried a lot of. But I'll check out the replies not involving using 2H or 1H when I get home to see which ones I can still try.

1-thing I'm surprised with is that it doesn't seem like people are using sets that give max resources much at all. So I'm assuming people either have crazy high recovery or they are relying on heavy attacking to get back resources. I guess I do tend to spam a lot of abilities that use magic and I find that even with food that provides some recovery and a lot of recovery from my jewelry I never seem to have enough. I have around 2K recovery and sometimes it still seems too low. But hopefully if i get damage higher and can kill ppl faster the recovery won't be needed as much.

It sounds like most of you are suggesting that offensive pen is the way to go. So basically get pen as high as possible even if it means having not much max mag. And combine that with spell damage.

I'm using sharpened front staff and lover mundus with some divines gear so my pen is about 12k I think currently with 5 light armor too. If I go to heartland it could be 15k+. If I get rid of a lot of the recovery from my jewelry to go spell damage instead I just feel like my recovery will be way too low. It will go from 2Kish to 1500 at most. I'll be forced to heavy attack much of the time without much max mag. I really hate heavy attacking with fire staff. I feel it takes way too long to charge and then it's sometimes difficult to aim and hit anyone with ppl so fast these days. I much prefer lightning staff but I know it's better for AOE and not for single target damage. I suppose that could do well with jabs but not javelin or charge which I like to use.

Do you think it would be better to get pen from say 12 to 16ish k or keep pen at about 12k and get spell damage about 500 higher?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You get more stats with atro than lover. Atro is more bang for your buck.
    So go atro with sd enchant on jewelry with double strength sharp.
    If you are set on lightning staff, and go the biting jabs route, you can use the spot I listed for forward momentum, but use it instead for ele drain.
    This would mean 6k pen + a chance for 3k pen from jabs + double sharp on your lightning staff (6500 or whatever) + 3 light (3300 or whatever)
    So 6 + 6.5 + 3.3 is about 15.8, with a potential 3 more from minor breach if biting jabs procs it.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming then Ring of the Wild Hunt for speed then if you're going all spell damage and infused on jewelry?
    Or no speed at all?

How do you get 3k pen from jabs? No version of that skill provides pen. I am magplar dark elf with no stam versions of skills and no 1H or 2H weapons. Guess I don't know how jabs procs minor breach?
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People don't build max stat anymore unless on certain magsorc builds.

Templar is much better played stacking spell damage due to how the spells scale.

With double sharp + 3 light pieces + major breach (and potentially minor breach) you have plenty of pen.

If you go amberplasm + heartland conqueror with 1 magma and atro, with ele drain, that will be
    300 + 129 + 330 + 336 or 1100 ish additional recovery before 30 percent major intellect (not to mention base, and also your rune recovery). Add in base, which is 600 or something, and then continuous assault + major intellect, and you should be above 2k. You could always run clockwork citrus fillet/witchmother instead of sugar skills, but the stat density of sugar skulls is too good to pass up, in my opinion.

Additionally, if you use 1 mag cost reduction glyph, especially if it is on an infused jewel, would be the cherry on top and you likely won't have sustain issues.

So amber plasm + heartland conqueror + 1 magma incarnate and 1 markyn/gaze/wild hunt. 3 reinforced heavy (chest helm legs) 1 well fitted medium (boots) 3 wel fitted/impen light (gloves belt shoulders).

All tri stat glyphs. Sugar skulls. Atro stone.

Please see other post above for jewel traits depending on markyn/gaze/wild hunt

Sharp Lightning staff with shock glyph
    Purifying light, biting jabs, ele drain, major prophecy via reflective light or camo hunter, toppling charge, crescent sweep ult

Powered Resto staff with 350 spell damage
    Mistform, rapid regen/living dark, honor the dead, extended ritual, rune, resto staff ult or vamp form

You'll have over 6k spell damage easily, 15-18k pen, great sustain. Over 30k hp. Over 24k mag. Speed. Decent crit.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    6K spell damage? I didn't think that was possible in no proc/CP. I remember with 5 light armor I'm about 3,100 spell damage. When I put on Rattlecage it's around 3,900ish. So if I used a set like New Moon instead of Amber, that's another 530 + 20% = 636. And if I went all 3 jewelry with spell damage infused that would be another 1002 I think (with major sorcery buff). So 3900 + 636 + 1002 is about 5,500 and that is with 5 light armor, no recovery at all on jewelry and no recovery from amber because I replaced it with new moon. I'm sure my damage would be much better than it is now but my only sources of recovery would be mundus, food, and skills. I use Witchmother's Potent Brew because it's the best food/drink for mag toons that's not incredibly expensive. IMO the only one better is Clockwork Citrus which is very expensive and not worth it for extra health recovery that is nerfed anyway. If I went with Heartland I'd lose 300 spell damage (360 buffed) vs. Rattlecage (Major Sorcery I will have to get from Degeneration) So that should be a little over 5,100 spell damage with Heartland and New Moon. 4,600-4,700 with Heartland and Amber if my calculations are correct. It's a lot more than I have now and I'll try it, but I don't think you can get anywhere near 6K in no proc without going 100% into spell damage.

My pen now is about 12K and that's with the lover mundus and 4 or 5 divine armor. If I ditch lover and the divines buffs but get the buff from Heartland (I'm already front-bar sharpened) I'll be right back about 12kish pen. I'm talking about permanent pen and not with temporary buffs from skills etc. Anyway thanks for the input and ideas. I'm just trying to determine where you came up with that spell damage number with the heartland and amber sets. I can't make the math work.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely agree with the Swift traits. It's bar-space intensive but if you stack it with Hasty Prayer and RAT you will be faster than most Stamina players out there as well.

I have loved 2H MagPlar in previous patches and would nudge you to reconsider that prohibition. It also opens up the simple Charge -> Onslaught combo that would allow you to avoid having to stack Pen with your sets and trait.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    6K spell damage? I didn't think that was possible in no proc/CP. I remember with 5 light armor I'm about 3,100 spell damage. When I put on Rattlecage it's around 3,900ish. So if I used a set like New Moon instead of Amber, that's another 530 + 20% = 636. And if I went all 3 jewelry with spell damage infused that would be another 1002 I think (with major sorcery buff). So 3900 + 636 + 1002 is about 5,500 and that is with 5 light armor, no recovery at all on jewelry and no recovery from amber because I replaced it with new moon. I'm sure my damage would be much better than it is now but my only sources of recovery would be mundus, food, and skills. I use Witchmother's Potent Brew because it's the best food/drink for mag toons that's not incredibly expensive. IMO the only one better is Clockwork Citrus which is very expensive and not worth it for extra health recovery that is nerfed anyway. If I went with Heartland I'd lose 300 spell damage (360 buffed) vs. Rattlecage (Major Sorcery I will have to get from Degeneration) So that should be a little over 5,100 spell damage with Heartland and New Moon. 4,600-4,700 with Heartland and Amber if my calculations are correct. It's a lot more than I have now and I'll try it, but I don't think you can get anywhere near 6K in no proc without going 100% into spell damage.

My pen now is about 12K and that's with the lover mundus and 4 or 5 divine armor. If I ditch lover and the divines buffs but get the buff from Heartland (I'm already front-bar sharpened) I'll be right back about 12kish pen. I'm talking about permanent pen and not with temporary buffs from skills etc. Anyway thanks for the input and ideas. I'm just trying to determine where you came up with that spell damage number with the heartland and amber sets. I can't make the math work.

My stamplar in ravenwatch has 7900 sd 19k pen and still 2100 stam recovery. Getting above 6k isn't hard.
    I can make a build editor for you
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    So to make sure I understand you're saying at least 2 swift or 3? If I do that, which mythic instead of ROTWH?
    And is this a magplar or stamplar?

If I do go 2H and use that combo, which sets do you recommend rather than heartland and rattlecage/New Moon/Amber?

I wouldn't be getting much spell damage from jewelry so I'm assuming you'll recommend 2 sets that give mostly spell damage like Sword Singer and New Moon? Thanks
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    That would be great Davey. I have no idea how I'd get anywhere near that amount of spell damage or weapon damage. Even without having a useful amount of recovery and speed.
    Edited by malistorr on April 26, 2022 8:48PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well that's with dual wield with heartland conq. 1 nirn sword and 1 sharp mace. With minor + major sorcery, continuous assault, and my back bar 350 enchant procced. Without the enchant that is about 7200. You mentioned you preferred the lightning staff, so I'm thinking we can get you about 6k with major minor sorcery, continuous assault and your back bar enchant up.

You get an absurd amount of weapon/spell damage with dw, especially with 1 nirn sword as heartland conqueror.

Later tonight I'll slap it in the editor and we will see what we can get ya!
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't factored in the back-bar enchant. I assume I have to light attack on the bar back to proc that?
    And I didn't look at the passives but I see Illuminate now.
    Eager to see the gear selections and how to get anywhere close to 8k with buffs.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ps what is your magplars race?
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dark Elf for the fire damage mitigation as I'm vamp 3.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Awesome, thanks.
    Fyi on my mag characters I tend to run sugar skulls but my stam characters I tend to run jewels of misrule for the sustain.

My stamplar is a wood elf, so I get stam sustain there, with jewels of misrule, and my serpent stone.
    With continuous assault, 1 magma, 5 medium, and major endurance from potion, I end up with about 21-2200 stam sustain. My max stat is obviously not super high...around 22k.

For your magplar, if we run sugar skulls, you get lots of max stat and I am pretty confident with Amber + atronach + major intellect + continuous assault + ele drain that you would have enough sustain (2 spell damage glyphs + 1 mag cost reduction for mistform).
    Jewels of misrule is always an option on top of this if you are ok with playing with less max stat.
    With a lot of sustain, low max stat is doable.
    In fact, it would probably be pretty dang nice if you are cool with the biting jabs suggestion.

Later tonight we will see!
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor?id=441084

6k spell damage with continuous assault buff + coming out of mist + your back bar enchant
    1920 mag recovery not including ele drain which is about 340 mag recovery (can do 1 mag recovery glyph if really needed) + 1300 stam recovery
    30k hp, 27.4k mag, 22k stam
    9.5k pen, not including 6k from ele drain and 3k if biting jabs procs minor breach (so 18.5k total)
    15% movespeed / 45% out of combat + 30% major expedition in mist

feel free to run living dark instead of rapid regen (until living dark gets nerfed into the ground)
    feel free to run camo hunter instead of reflective light if you don't like keeping the uptime
    feel free to run jewels of misrule for a major sustain boost instead of sugar skulls (you will have around 22k mag then but like 2500 recovery not including ele drain and rune recovery) if desired, hp will be a bit lower

FYI when I put on 1 nirn sword + 1 sharp mace instead of lightning staff, the spell damage is 7300, with pen being 7700 base (as 1 double strength sharp mace is slightly less pen than 1 double strength sharp staff). The downside is no ele drain, but you can run caltrops or crushing weapon for the major breach if so desired.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I created an account and copied the build and am tweaking a few things to see what effect it will have.
    What would be the enchants on the mace and sword? I tried both spell damage. With a nirn sword base pen is about 6.1K. Spell damage is about 6,450 and weapon damage is about 5,250. How would I get weapon damage over 7K? I don't have any clue what I'm doing wrong but I'm not very experienced with the build editor. I used both weapon damage enchants for the 2 1H weapons on front bar, and same with the staff back bar. I left the jewelry the way you had it. I cannot get close to the numbers you were talking about earlier. Is there some way I need to tell it to include the effects of all the buffs and skills so it shows final/actual weapon damage if everything is fully buffed and perfect? I changed to a couple of nirn instead of well-fitted armor but that shouldn't affect it. Thanks

https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=Special:EsoBuildEditor&id=441102
    Edited by malistorr on April 27, 2022 3:26AM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor?&id=441114
    here is dw. shock + fire glyphs.
    you didn't buy the dw skill line in the editor, so you didn't get the dw passives (which boost weapon/spell damage by a ton)
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i've spent hundreds of hours in the build editor. i highly recommend spending a few hours and going through the tabs and figuring things out :)
    theory crafting in the game is extremely deep and very enjoyable in my opinion. i spend almost as much time doing that as playing the bloody game lol
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I didn't know about buying the skill line. I did spend a couple hours last night messing with things but parts of it are not intuitive IMO. They could have made it a bit easier to use.

I know you said mace sharpened and sword nirn. Am I assuming correctly that it doesn't matter which glyph (fire, shock) is on which weapon? And I guess the only difference with using dual wield vs the staff is that I'll get more spell damage/slightly different stats right? Unless I'm heavy attacking to get resources back I won't see/have any differences otherwise since I won't be using dual wield skills? I will just lose the ability to be able to cast destruction staff skills on the front bar. Do I have all that correct?

Thanks
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Correct on all questions
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Innate Axiom looks like it would be a pretty easily attainable set to use in place of Amber Plasm for more damage. Too bad recovery is a thing...
    Edited by malistorr on April 28, 2022 9:40PM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can use eternal vigor instead of amberplasm, but if you go below 50 percent hp you get the hp recovery instead of the mag and stam recovery. Amberplasm isn't hard to get though :)
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    malistorr wrote: »
    Hi all,

For Ravenwatch only (no proc sets), what do you recommend for gear selections for a magplar wanting to play mostly offensive? I will not run a defensive set at all (like Pariah or Swift) but may consider vamp3 for help with damage reduction and may use the Gaze mythic for a bit of health and defense. But what do you recommend for the best offensive sets. I was thinking something like a combo of Rattlecage and War Maiden but I'm worried I won't have enough max mag. Some PVP fights or keep attacks can get a bit long in no CP/proc so I'm not sure if going more pure damage vs. more resources (which also provide damage but just not as much) is the way to go. Templar doesn't have a skill with major sorcery and I won't be using a 2H weapon so Rattlecase would provide a good amount of spell damage + the 20% boost. I will not be getting major sorcery from pots either as I prefer tri-pots for emergency resource restore and help with recovery. Your serious recommendations appreciated and keep in mind no CP/proc only thank you!

Honestly, Deltia's magplar build is beast mode. Just go on YouTube and you'll find it there. He explains the mechanics and gives alternatives. I like forward Momentum for M. Sorcery, but Degeneration is an alright dot (personally though, if you need to be in combat to get it, jabs might be better to open up a slot on your bar). Caltrops is good, but people move out of it fairly easy, elemental Susceptibility is really good with lots of range and duration plus a status effect but you need a destro staff, and elemental weapon is only 4 seconds, so major breach is tough on how you decide you want it if you feel like you need it (some people just don't run it all together)

There's so many options out there, though from my experience, skill > build by about 10 times. So toss something together and go get it done.
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks but that build is not for no CP/proc and also has pretty much no sustain so it definitely wouldn't work in Ravenwatch. Even with 2,000 mag recovery sustain is an issue there. I think I already decided I will get my major sorcery from Degeneration since it lasts for 20-seconds vs 10 for templar jabs and I also want the self-heals from the other jabs morph if I do use that skill.
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can't prebuff with degen.
    Magplar is short on bar space. Jabs, especially with the set up I put together for you, would be easy to use, bar space efficient, and would rock.
    Obviously do what you like, but imo that's the less effective and efficient route.