The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why I logged out early tonight

Thecompton73
Thecompton73
✭✭✭✭✭
Trying to PvP in Cyro on AD (NA PC) and the whole night is the entire pop-locked faction getting farmed over and over by an immortal group of about 30 DC. The game just isn't fun when it's possible for groups to do stuff like that. 2 hours inside a keep with our whole alliance attacking them with siege up to the limit and they just run around back and forth, easily outhealing everything.
It's pointless and boring to play against that, so I logged out early. I get the feeling that's going to happen quite often in the near future considering nothing is being done in the next patch to address the gross over-healing introduced by stat hybridization.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 24, 2022 8:11PM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well at least it was thirty of them.

A few nights ago saw basically the same thing with five people running amok and not dying. They would dance around, run up and down stairs until they had ultimates up then in a narrow area hit Dark Convergence, drop ults killing several, rinse and repeat. I watched for a while curious how long it would last. THey were still going when I moved on. Probably around twenty giving chase for quite a while doing very little other than dying.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I logged out early to take a nap.

I’ll be logging back on when I wake up.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I logged out early on PS NA because both AD and EP had been pop-locked for hours, we had 2 bars, and no scrolls. Typical day on GH for my DC toon.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• FannyWarden
    FannyWarden
    ✭✭
    Trying to PvP in Cyro on AD (NA PC) and the whole night is the entire pop-locked faction getting farmed over and over by an immortal group of about 30 DC. The game just isn't fun when it's possible for groups to do stuff like that. 2 hours inside a keep with our whole alliance attacking them with siege up to the limit and they just run around back and forth, easily outhealing everything.
    It's pointless and boring to play against that, so I logged out early. I get the feeling that's going to happen quite often in the near future considering nothing is being done in the next patch to address the gross over-healing introduced by stat hybridization.

You are talking about ball groups. Those DC ball groups run a few days a week during prime time and they usually grab a keep or outpost that they opposing alliance cares about and lure you into defending it and then run around for hours until either they get bored or they accidentally wipe. It is pretty difficult to beat them because they practice constantly and use 3rd party automation to help them coordinate attacks, buffs and heals. They have been a cancer to PVP for years, and every time ZOS tries to do anything about them, they just enable them further. Their own alliance actually hate them more because they do not play the map, only look for the latest exploits to gain the upper hand and farm kills.

Once you learn their raid times, you can just avoid them all together. Most of them are trash outside of their ball groups and without their automation helping them. If you see them running solo, chase them down, they usually run away or die fast if you can catch them.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their fun comes from you wasting your time chasing them. You take away their fun if you just ignore them and leave. Yes they might just flip the keep with no one there but they'll flip it then leave to find somewhere else to farm. Then you can return to flip it back.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭

Once you learn their raid times, you can just avoid them all together. Most of them are trash outside of their ball groups and without their automation helping them. If you see them running solo, chase them down, they usually run away or die fast if you can catch them.

You literally just described why people decide to play in a ball group lol. That being said, some groups have great individual players and are extra scary.
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh that's better then one guy managing to wipe a full group (before group size reduction)... which I have seen...
    Edited by RisenEclipse on April 22, 2022 4:01PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in PC NA Cyrodiil on my DC main yesterday afternoon (EDT) while there seemed to be a lot of back-and-forth going on between DC and AD. I was there for PvE, to do the Chorrol and Weynon Priory dailies for the "2 quests in Chorrol" endeavor, so I didn't get involved in any fighting at that time.

But afterward, I decided to do the daily Fighters Guild bounties and chose some locations down near Vlastarus for a few of them. DC had controlled Vlastarus earlier, but by that time it was controlled by AD, and when I saw that DC was trying to flip it back I decided to jump in and try to help. Mind you, my build and fighting style don't do well in most PvP, so I expected to die rather quickly-- and I did-- but I thought it might be fun anyway-- and it was.

I even tried to solo a resource at a nearby keep, but a lone AD player showed up at the very end and picked me off easily with their bow while I was fighting the last guard.

After that, I was still in the grip of suicidal bloodlust, so I ran into Vlastarus alone and jumped in the middle of 6 or more AD who were parked in a group in the middle of town. I think I lasted maybe 1 or 2 seconds, just as I'd expected.

So I guess whatever sentiments you all are expressing toward DC in this thread are totally dependent on which side you're on. The DC zone chat had plenty of comments about "the AD zerg," or unkillable AD trolls, and so on. Other days, there are similar comments about EP. There are complaints about AD or EP somehow getting low population bonus despite having the most population bars in the campaign. And I'm sure the AD and EP zone chats have exactly the same kinds of comments about the other 2 alliances.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like fighting inside keeps, i don't really mind when there's a group inside trying to survive...plus lots of defensive tic AP...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    i like fighting inside keeps, i don't really mind when there's a group inside trying to survive...plus lots of defensive tic AP...

Even when it takes more than 2 hours to clear one group of 30 people and none of them die until they get tired of it and let themselves all get killed at the same time?
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even when it takes more than 2 hours to clear one group of 30 people and none of them die until they get tired of it and let themselves all get killed at the same time?

I've yet to see anything like that, except when the unkillable groups were AD or EP. Not that I think they were cheating or had super troll builds, more that my PvP skills stink. It's all a matter of which alliance you're fighting for, because it's always the other two who are ruining your fun.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

I've yet to see anything like that, except when the unkillable groups were AD or EP. Not that I think they were cheating or had super troll builds, more that my PvP skills stink. It's all a matter of which alliance you're fighting for, because it's always the other two who are ruining your fun.

It's not cheating at all, it's just taking advantage of very poor game mechanics. It's not on them it's on the developers for failing to reign it in and in fact further buffing the play style with the out of control healing from hybridization and in the next update almost every AOE is getting "fixed" to obey line of sight the way single target does. I had never seen a group live that long either until it happened with the same group at different keeps two nights in a row. Maybe it really is third party automation programs for PC like someone talked about in a post above. I've been PS server for years and there are balls groups but if they lasted 20-30minutes in a keep it was a long run.

It's just absolutely stupid to have a choice to fight the same people and killing none of them for 1-2 hours before they get sick of it or to let them have any keep they decide to take. Apparently the guild is known and the comments in zone chat were "just leave it and they'll get bored", yeah they'll get bored and come wherever there's a good fight and ruin it too. Which is a bummer because except when that group has been present the fights on PC have been epic and insanely fun compared to what I'd gotten used to on PS. There it was almost always one zerg steamrolling the map and it rotated which alliance was doing it at different time. PC sees huge clashes of like 60v60 constantly.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on April 23, 2022 8:12AM
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I know the group(s) you're talking about and they are doing god's work in keeping lag down during Cyrodiil primetime.
    1. They go far away into an enemy inner keep and spread out the map to reduce faction stacking
    2. They can actually get kills (unlike most ball groups that just faction stack and generate mad lag all around). Less players alive spamming skills = less lag.
    3. People that don't want to get farmed by the ball group go elsewhere for a less zergy and laggy fight.
  • TheAwesomeChimpanzee
    If you guys hate ball groups so much you should make one yourselves! Unlike you zone chat pugs that come into Cyrodiil with random gear to pvdoor the map and roleplay for your faction ball groups decide to take time off their days to optimize a group composition precisely so they can take an outnumbered fight inside an enemy keep with a ridiculous amount of siege on them and still survive.

If you wanna kill a ball group put the time and coordination these groups also put to outplay you and make a ball group yourself, I guarantee you’ll be able to take this group down inside your keep and you will also be able to simp for the queen and give her many elder scrolls!
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood this about PvP in any game. When you can't kill someone and they keep beating you, somehow THEY'RE the ones doing something wrong... no, it's the person who can't kill them that's doing something wrong. Look, I'm by no means a PvPer. I am lousy at it. Yes I can get my own kills in, but will be rolled over in a second by anyone actually decent at it. Is is frustrating? Yes. Should healing be nerfed because there's a coordinated group out there that knows what they're doing with it in PvP, just so you can kill them easier? Absolutely not. You strategize and find ways of killing them. An uncoordinated group going after a coordinated one is doomed to disaster. That's just common sense and strategy. In your scenario I don't see anything actually wrong with what happened. The people fighting them were clearly outmatched. The fact that you managed to hold the keep for so long shows that you were making it difficult on them to even take the keep instantly. Two hour defense tick is pretty good AP too. Sure defending a keep for hours might not be your version of exciting, and you want to run around killing every player out there with ease. So maybe try a PvP that doesn't involve keep taking or defending? BGs maybe? As long as the players in question are not exploiting (no stacking heals isn't an exploit) and are not cheating, they're not doing anything wrong by surviving whatever you throw at them.
    Edited by RisenEclipse on April 23, 2022 7:21PM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always been a pvp problem and has only gotten worse as they've added "anti-group" stuff to the game like prox det and dark convergence that they zergs end up using against pugs instead of having them used against them because zos hasn't been any limits on the abilities or sets to keep them from being abused in that fashion.

The other problem is they exploit the lag - have someone doing stuff to keep your group free of effects and stuns with heals ongoing and they don't really get impacted by stuns and snares or even damage the same ways individuals do. Considering getting hit with a stun can be insta-death in lag b/c the game doesn't work and let you stun break, that's a huge benefit for them and gives them easy kills. On top of that, the lag makes it hard to target them with anything like a siege weapon effectively. Even stuff like prox-det is much better than anything else in lag - if you can get everyone to arm up and then run to players, once activated it will go off consistently(ish) vs players that are having to hit a button 6-15 times (yes, 15 times) just to get one ability to work then it will get kills without allowing counterplay.

Dark Convergence and Prox Det both need a rework to prevent the abuse they get, but it won't happen. Prox det hasn't been reworked in a way that would make it better for its original intended use ever, so I doubt they will now. Like prox det shouldn't stack with others using it for example, so one person using it vs. 20 would be solid, but 20 using it against one would be useless. I also think that Dark Conv should be completely changed if they can't fix the lag. If you can't counterplay something b/c the game doesn't work, then the ability/item is badly designed for the game as it exists. I'm sure we are all frustrated when a stun freezes you like fear or whatever and you can't break b/c of lag - but something that autokills a group of people b/c the game doesn't work crosses into a new level of broken. I think DC could be a great set if the game worked, but it doesn't.

As for the ball group keep farming, I think once a keep unflags (or perhaps 60 seconds from when it unflags), it should auto-kill any enemy inside (or maybe just inside the main keep and not just inside the CY/main walls) just like what happens at the scroll temples when the gates are closed. I'd also add better NPCs, having them use flare reveals vs stealth like you see regularly in IC, having a few patrolling and having reinforcements spawn for wall breaks - you could even base them on the amount of players around (or not around), so PvDooring might be a 'slightly' bigger challenge. As for PvDooring, it's pretty sad how easy it is to burst through the doors considering that became one of the hardest parts to breech in many castles once warfare had advanced enough to see sieges play out over and over. Not saying it has to be overly realistic - it is a game - but they should at least be built more like postern doors IMO, with something to break down before you can break the door.

BUT, in the end, an organized group built to support each other and in coms working together will always beat a bigger group of random players zerging together. There is nothing wrong with that. Just remember, if you are fighting a group of any size working together, whether it's 2 or 12, and you are not in a group, they are all vs. you. So if it's 5 pugs showing up to a resource vs. 3 guys together, they will go through the 5 of you 3v1 at a time until you're all dead, so don't look at it as 5v3 b/c it's not gonna feel that way and they aren't gonna fight that way. The only thing that needs fixed are the simple things that are being exploited - a few sets and abilities that take advantage of the lag removing any counterplay.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not cheating at all, it's just taking advantage of very poor game mechanics. It's not on them it's on the developers for failing to reign it in and in fact further buffing the play style with the out of control healing from hybridization and in the next update almost every AOE is getting "fixed" to obey line of sight the way single target does. I had never seen a group live that long either until it happened with the same group at different keeps two nights in a row. Maybe it really is third party automation programs for PC like someone talked about in a post above. I've been PS server for years and there are balls groups but if they lasted 20-30minutes in a keep it was a long run.

It's just absolutely stupid to have a choice to fight the same people and killing none of them for 1-2 hours before they get sick of it or to let them have any keep they decide to take. Apparently the guild is known and the comments in zone chat were "just leave it and they'll get bored", yeah they'll get bored and come wherever there's a good fight and ruin it too. Which is a bummer because except when that group has been present the fights on PC have been epic and insanely fun compared to what I'd gotten used to on PS. There it was almost always one zerg steamrolling the map and it rotated which alliance was doing it at different time. PC sees huge clashes of like 60v60 constantly.

Nah it's all on the players fighting that one ball group as well....... If your not progressing against them then they clearly have more skill than you or an understanding of the game.

Back when vr ranks were a thing rather cp me and my wife were part of a 12-14 man group that played together on PlayStation. We played a lot together and all were on mic. We used to take scrolls places and literally farm people for hours. We would also fight keeps against literally the full 2 other alliances. We would time proxy det together move together legit just on point.

No matter how many people you have in a group of they don't work together (the point of group play) than they will lose simply based off skill/ coordination. Before syfer pk (very very popular streamer) quit eso he was on PlayStation side and we beat him up and he called forth everyone watching to fight us and we literally farmed them all for about an hour before he rage quit PlayStation side.

Numbers shouldn't mean everything........ If that was the case why should people play in their faction if they have 1 bar of players? If you guys lose to them you need to get better see what mistakes your doing and learn. But 1-2 bad pugs help them beat you it is the facts.
  • HonestLoverr
    HonestLoverr
    ✭✭✭
    The current state of the game (network performance and gameplay performance) are to be blamed. Those who think its nothing but a L2P issue can't be more wrong. PC NA has easily half of its playerbase jumping around at 200+ ping, because of all the different timezones. Then you have cheats left and right on top of all this, no matter if its addons, macros, or 3rd party. Tell em about it and all you get is the games performance getting blamed for weird things you might see them doing. Can report all day long with video proof and such of most obvious behaviour against ToS and then wait and see. Also you have systems in place for cyrodiil (outside of engine or network problems) that reward runaway/healstack/lagbomb meta - the balancing itself becomes a problem too- as well as faction imbalance caused by the players itself once again using said systems f.e. to faction switch (for GH there are a lot of players having several accounts to simply play around the faction lock) and do things like scroll trading, keep trading, emp boosting, double teaming, just to name a few.

All of the above is being made used of to its fullest no matter where you go. What you see and how much you see of it depends on campaign, time of the day, and who you meet. Yet you can have the best build, best organized group, best internet, etc. and you will only get to experience the same over and over. Sure from time to time things might go well, somehow. But those truely L2P aspects are gone for good since a very long time and there are very few aspects left ofCyrodiil PvP where it can be solved by some simple outplaying because you will always have at least 1 point I mentioned above that will happen, thus leaving little to no room for neither you nor your group in such scenarios to get the upper hand again.

My advice: You are better off playing the console versions instead. To at least somewhat lessen the problems that PC players have to face in Cyrodiil.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Contrary to popular belief, lag does not make bombing easier lol. Most forms of bombing are very lag sensitive due to the timing involved. In fact the only thing that lag "helps" is larger groups because when your own skills fail, someone else's casts can still cover for you.

And then on top of the already awful servers, you have more people grouping and spamming skills and causing even more lag. Sometimes I wonder if all of us frantically pressing skills 5-6 times until they cast is just making the server workload even worse :(
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood this about PvP in any game. When you can't kill someone and they keep beating you, somehow THEY'RE the ones doing something wrong... no, it's the person who can't kill them that's doing something wrong. Look, I'm by no means a PvPer. I am lousy at it. Yes I can get my own kills in, but will be rolled over in a second by anyone actually decent at it. Is is frustrating? Yes. Should healing be nerfed because there's a coordinated group out there that knows what they're doing with it in PvP, just so you can kill them easier? Absolutely not. You strategize and find ways of killing them. An uncoordinated group going after a coordinated one is doomed to disaster. That's just common sense and strategy. In your scenario I don't see anything actually wrong with what happened. The people fighting them were clearly outmatched. The fact that you managed to hold the keep for so long shows that you were making it difficult on them to even take the keep instantly. Two hour defense tick is pretty good AP too. Sure defending a keep for hours might not be your version of exciting, and you want to run around killing every player out there with ease. So maybe try a PvP that doesn't involve keep taking or defending? BGs maybe? As long as the players in question are not exploiting (no stacking heals isn't an exploit) and are not cheating, they're not doing anything wrong by surviving whatever you throw at them.

Yeah never got this mentality either. Cyrodiil is for the bigger group fights, BGs/IC is for the smaller scale stuff. If you want to add stuff for small scale players to do in Cyrodiil I'd be perfectly happy with that. But don't take away literally the only game mode that allows large groups to fight each other because some are better at it than others.

And I would advise anyone calling any of what these groups do "cheesing or exploiting" to actually play in one and see the hard work that goes into making these 2hr fights possible.
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »
    Contrary to popular belief, lag does not make bombing easier lol. Most forms of bombing are very lag sensitive due to the timing involved. In fact the only thing that lag "helps" is larger groups because when your own skills fail, someone else's casts can still cover for you.

And then on top of the already awful servers, you have more people grouping and spamming skills and causing even more lag. Sometimes I wonder if all of us frantically pressing skills 5-6 times until they cast is just making the server workload even worse :(

My friends build and practice rotations for lag, with extra timing built in, in order to account for it. So while some folks are mad spamming skills in the lag with little to nothing happening, the more skilled players have learned how to play with it, and build for it. But you aren't going to find those builds and rotations on Alcast, or any other content creators website or videos.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaeliannas wrote: »

My friends build and practice rotations for lag, with extra timing built in, in order to account for it. So while some folks are mad spamming skills in the lag with little to nothing happening, the more skilled players have learned how to play with it, and build for it. But you aren't going to find those builds and rotations on Alcast, or any other content creators website or videos.

This only takes you so far.

I mean, I've put together builds just for fighting in the lag and avoid some classes/builds due to it as well. But eventually the lag seems to get crazy and no matter what you are doing, the lag is winning.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    Gaeliannas wrote: »

This only takes you so far.

I mean, I've put together builds just for fighting in the lag and avoid some classes/builds due to it as well. But eventually the lag seems to get crazy and no matter what you are doing, the lag is winning.

True, it isn't a perfect science, but there are skills that work more than others, and some that flat out don't most of the time, which should be avoided completely.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah it's all on the players fighting that one ball group as well....... If your not progressing against them then they clearly have more skill than you or an understanding of the game.

Back when vr ranks were a thing rather cp me and my wife were part of a 12-14 man group that played together on PlayStation. We played a lot together and all were on mic. We used to take scrolls places and literally farm people for hours. We would also fight keeps against literally the full 2 other alliances. We would time proxy det together move together legit just on point.

No matter how many people you have in a group of they don't work together (the point of group play) than they will lose simply based off skill/ coordination. Before syfer pk (very very popular streamer) quit eso he was on PlayStation side and we beat him up and he called forth everyone watching to fight us and we literally farmed them all for about an hour before he rage quit PlayStation side.

Numbers shouldn't mean everything........ If that was the case why should people play in their faction if they have 1 bar of players? If you guys lose to them you need to get better see what mistakes your doing and learn. But 1-2 bad pugs help them beat you it is the facts.

I played on PS servers for the first 7 years of the game. I don't know what ball group you were part of but never in the whole time did I run into any group on PS that was as bad as the group I described in the OP. Your bragging doesn't make you sound awesome, you sound like you need the group mechanics to carry you.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I played on PS servers for the first 7 years of the game. I don't know what ball group you were part of but never in the whole time did I run into any group on PS that was as bad as the group I described in the OP. Your bragging doesn't make you sound awesome, you sound like you need the group mechanics to carry you.

Look up old sypherpk videos my entire group is on one of them. I'll see if I can find it and post it here. We were on azure star.

But as far as needing group mechanics to carry me........ You do know it is a group game right? So if your not trying to use group mechanics in a massive multiplayer online game that features massive scale pvp right? Makes no sense to not use group mechanics lol.

I have also played with a friend and my wife we used to do 3 v X with him but it's not fun to me I enjoy group play content so to each their own I guess right?
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Alliance War & Imperial City section, as it is better suited there.

Thanks
    Staff Post
  • Exeter411
    Exeter411
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to see how the ball group mentioned does what they do, it's no secret. They stream on twitch whenever they run.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only entertaining thing about ball groups is when two of them from different factions somehow end up at the same keep or outpost. They both want to flip the flags but they are scared to fight each other instead of the unorganized third faction they came there to farm.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »
    The only entertaining thing about ball groups is when two of them from different factions somehow end up at the same keep or outpost. They both want to flip the flags but they are scared to fight each other instead of the unorganized third faction they came there to farm.

It's not so much about being scared of one another but that whoever gets the bomb off first wins. So positioning is very important. Ball v Ball fights are basically just a big game of chess
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »

It's not so much about being scared of one another but that whoever gets the bomb off first wins. So positioning is very important. Ball v Ball fights are basically just a big game of chess

Chess?

It's more like Dark Convergence vs. Dark Convergence now days.