Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Counsel Keyboard Question

Amerises
Amerises
✭✭✭✭
Thinking about getting a keyboard so I can type in chat. Wondering if I can still use my controller for everything else still?

Voice chat always seems bugged, and sometimes when Pugging something, I want to be able to explain mechanics without taking 5 min to type out with the controller
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 3, 2022 7:18PM
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pugging is the root of your problem.

Stop pugging.
    Find a group of friends with whom to run consistently, and use Discord for voice comms.
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • NettleCarrier
      NettleCarrier
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Grizzbeorn wrote: »

Stop pugging.
      Find a group of friends with whom to run consistently, and use Discord for voice comms.

OP is on Console (typo in subject name). I'm not familiar enough to answer the question, but telling them to use voice chat on another program while they already have voice chat built into either PSN or Live (whichever they use) isn't going to help.
      GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
    • Grizzbeorn
      Grizzbeorn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      telling them to use voice chat on another program while they already have voice chat built into either PSN or Live (whichever they use) isn't going to help.

Well, I can't help if their spelling mistake confused the issue. I wouldn't have offered incorrect advice if I had realized that
      'Counsel' was supposed to be 'Console.'
        PC/NA Warden Main
      • katanagirl1
        katanagirl1
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Just plug any USB keyboard into one of the USB ports on the console. Whenever you use the controller to access text chat, you can immediately switch to the keyboard and type there.
        Khajiit Stamblade
        Dark Elf Magsorc
        Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
        Orc Stamplar PVP
        Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Amerises
        Amerises
        ✭✭✭✭
        Just plug any USB keyboard into one of the USB ports on the console. Whenever you use the controller to access text chat, you can immediately switch to the keyboard and type there.

Thank you for helping me with my council question!
      • Paulytnz
        Paulytnz
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        The only thing keyboard can do for you on console is typing in chat. So you don't have to worry about that, your controller will still do 99.9% of the work for you. In fact it is my opinion EVERY console player should use a keyboard for chatting. There is no reason not to.

Oh there is one last thing that the keyboard can help you with. You can use the UP arrow key to cycle through your last few messages. So you can use that as a short cut to type out the exact same things you might have done a few minutes ago. Think guild advertising, buying/selling in different maps. You are welcome. :p
      • katanagirl1
        katanagirl1
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Yes, trying to type on the d-pad is excruciatingly slow.
        Khajiit Stamblade
        Dark Elf Magsorc
        Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
        Orc Stamplar PVP
        Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• M0ntie
        M0ntie
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Yes. On PS4 I used an inexpensive blue tooth keyboard. Wouldn't be without it.
      • DragonRacer
        DragonRacer
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        I bought an Arteck wireless Bluetooth keyboard about 5 or 6 years ago when I was gonna start doing auctions for my guild, and trying to do that on a controller was gonna be bad. I still have it and have been using it from PS4 to PS5. Once you sync it to your console, it's fine and operates separately from your headset (if you use one) and your controller. The keyboard only functions when you use your controller to bring up the social screen to type or hit the controller shortcut to enter chat, then the PlayStation brings up a little typing box on the screen where you use your keyboard to type the message, then click to send it off with your controller and resume gameplay with your controller.

Keyboard is a huge quality of life for console. I'm no sure what the market is these days with supply chain issues, etc but my little keyboard was only $20 off Amazon back when I got it and it's still going strong years later. And it just recharges via a little USB cable.

(Ah, looks like it is still only $20. And the backlights are nice, they fade until you start typing on the keyboard, then they light up. Perfect when gaming in a dark room at night - you can see as you type, then the light fades after you finish so there's no glare while you're playing: https://amazon.com/Arteck-HB030B-Universal-Bluetooth-Rechargeable/dp/B00X5P8BJO/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3K8WVUDKLL16U&keywords=arteck+wireless+keyboard&qid=1650728167&sprefix=arteck%2Caps%2C248&sr=8-4 )
        PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
      • EnerG
        EnerG
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        If you're on xbox using an older controller their used to be a small keyboard attachment you could buy, no clue if the newer gens support it but it was actually really great for typing out quick messages and sometimes games let you keybind things to it,
      • Cooperharley
        Cooperharley
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Grizzbeorn wrote: »

Stop pugging.

This has to be the least helpful answer i've seen to a question lol. Yes, you can use a keyboard and a controller. There's also keyboard you can attach directly to your controller too that I've seen on amazon and other gaming retailers.
      • Paulytnz
        Paulytnz
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        EnerG wrote: »
        If you're on xbox using an older controller their used to be a small keyboard attachment you could buy, no clue if the newer gens support it but it was actually really great for typing out quick messages and sometimes games let you keybind things to it,

Yeah I still have one of those for my Xbox360, I play this on PS5 tho. :(

It was a handy little gadget, I'm surprised they stopped making them (if they did) for the new consoles.
        Edited by Paulytnz on April 24, 2022 1:16AM
      • ZOS_Bill
        ZOS_Bill
        admin
        The FAQ below goes over the limitations of using a keyboard on console.

Can I play The Elder Scrolls Online with a mouse and keyboard on console?
        The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
        Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
        Staff Post
      • AnonomissX
        AnonomissX
        ✭✭✭✭
        Handy hint: If you are typing on a keyboard in an ESO text box, the following key strokes work:

Control+A - select all
        Control+C - copy selected
        Control+V - paste
        Home - go to the beginning of the text
        End - go to the end of the text
        Arrows left or right - move the cursor one space at a time
        Control+Arrow - move forward or back one WORD at a time

Hope that helps!
        Ebonheart Pact, Nord Templar/healer on NA Xbox server. My main toon WAS a tall and foxy redhead - now she has been gamma-irradiated and has green skin and black hair. 3 other characters I only use for writs. Can't be bothered to create multiple toons - EXCEPT now my WW is getting spooled up for Cyrodiil - Blood For The Pact! IRL cranky sometimes redhead chick at large in Las Vegas, NV