Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 34 - Feedback Thread for New Companions

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for the two new Companions, Isobel and Ember. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • Did you run into any issues unlocking or acquiring either Companion?
  • Which areas or zones did you play with your Companion? What types of gameplay?
  • Do you notice if your Companion was moving more naturally than before?
  • Did you feel the Companion talked too much or too little in various circumstances?
  • What did you think of the Companion combat abilities in general? Were there any that felt too powerful or not powerful enough?
  • How did the Companion progression feel in terms of time to level up, advance skills, unlock abilities, improve rapport, or acquire equipment?
  • We’ve made some improvements to targeting different interactions. Were interactions with an active Companion easier?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on April 18, 2022 7:49PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When players are testing Ember and Isobel, please post your experience with rapport- what gives positive and what negative; I'm hoping Isobel isn't nearly (or even close) to being as picky as Bastian.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A freind tells this one that Ember does not yet speak any German.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • Monweel
    Monweel
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's time to give us the option to put a helmet on them? Or on the very least make so when someone else has a companion out, they have a randomized look for you (kinda like when you click "random" on the character creation) so we don't see hundreds of clones everywhere.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monweel wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to give us the option to put a helmet on them? Or on the very least make so when someone else has a companion out, they have a randomized look for you (kinda like when you click "random" on the character creation) so we don't see hundreds of clones everywhere.

As they said a year ago when Companions were introduced... they are an individual PERSON and therefore are who they are. While we can change their outfits, I have always found it a bit odd that we couldn't give them a helmet or hat. If we can make the decisions regarding what role they play, what their general outfit looks like, then WHY can't we also decide whether to have them wear a helmet or not?!?

On the plus side, at least now you won't just be seeing only TWO sets of clones... now we'll have splits between FOUR... although, I fully expect more people to start using Ember and Isobel for their much better skill lines and improved interactions.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first of my characters on PTS got to meet Ember last night and they are already in love. Sorry Bastian, Mirri, and Isobel!
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did you run into any issues unlocking or acquiring either Companion?
    No unlocked them pretty well, liked their locations on High Isle

Which areas or zones did you play with your Companion? What types of gameplay?
    Just in High Isle chapter zone so far, just running around killing things mainly (the screams are soothing) also did thieving (sp) with Ember that was fun

Do you notice if your Companion was moving more naturally than before?
    Not at first but yes walking rather than the NPC jog, stop, move an inch then jog some more.

Did you feel the Companion talked too much or too little in various circumstances?
    Nope, there is an option to lessen or up it, im good with what ya gave me

What did you think of the Companion combat abilities in general? Were there any that felt too powerful or not powerful enough?
    Always for upping their power to make them useful for more harder stuff, them as DD's is lack luster

How did the Companion progression feel in terms of time to level up, advance skills, unlock abilities, improve rapport, or acquire equipment?
    Good, its account wide so they shouldn't be abel to be maxed out in a day or even week of gameplay, right lvl so far, but kudos on the guild upping, that was a drag before

We’ve made some improvements to targeting different interactions. Were interactions with an active Companion easier?
    Come to think of it, yes it does seem soother and they were not in the way so much while trying to speak to quester givers

Do you have any other general feedback?
    Like that you added a Sorc and Templar, Warden and Necro next please!! :wink: Even maybe (pushing the boat out here) maybe a class we dont have access to yet as players. (the drama zos, think of the drama!! hehe)
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why must you seriously insist we have to run the intro mission with every character, yet they are an account wide unlock? what is the purpose?

frankly it is extremely annoying to have to run the same exact quests to "unlock" the companions on every toon, and yet they are included in the collection menu (im assuming because there is no other place to put them), but this is extremely frustrating, it was frustrating with mirri and bastion, and will continue to be frustrating with these new ones

i was even at the point in the quest to unlock mirri i would blatently kill each person you were supposed to rescue because it would make the mission faster (i did it "properly" with my main, but rerunning the same exact mission 10 times (in my case) is not my idea of fun)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    The first of my characters on PTS got to meet Ember last night and they are already in love. Sorry Bastian, Mirri, and Isobel!

Just tried her out myself. Sheesh, shes so much better than the others imo, and won't scream in my ear about touching a bug. She's just my style, reminds me of myself a lot. >:)
    Extra points for khajiit.
    Edited by Ryuvain on April 19, 2022 8:49PM
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
    Werewolf behemoth=vampire lord>blood scion>werewolf>vampire.
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from the issue of her not speaking German, Ember is a delight.

Ember Claws (as is her full legal name now) will fit in very well at Claws Meadow Village.

Her quest was lovely too, although there should have been a 'pull the pigtails' option on the annoying Nord lady.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why must you seriously insist we have to run the intro mission with every character, yet they are an account wide unlock? what is the purpose?

frankly it is extremely annoying to have to run the same exact quests to "unlock" the companions on every toon, and yet they are included in the collection menu (im assuming because there is no other place to put them), but this is extremely frustrating, it was frustrating with mirri and bastion, and will continue to be frustrating with these new ones

i was even at the point in the quest to unlock mirri i would blatently kill each person you were supposed to rescue because it would make the mission faster (i did it "properly" with my main, but rerunning the same exact mission 10 times (in my case) is not my idea of fun)

I will tell you why... same reason we have rapport 'per character'... it's because ZOS believes Companions are meant to be thought of as individuals... so you help her on one character, then log into another and she's supposed to instantly recognize this new person who has never helped her? Same reason we can't apply helmets- apparently all Companions don't like helmets or what their face covered.

Yet skill wise it makes sense being account bound because the Companion is leveling up and growing in experience, regardless of who they travel with.

It's a pain, but I can see their point... they want us to think of Companions as 'people' not as "pets".
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did find it odd she doesn’t refer to herself in 3rd person, or say “This one thinks…” or things like that. I wonder if they will explain that in her background story?
  • Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did find it odd she doesn’t refer to herself in 3rd person, or say “This one thinks…” or things like that. I wonder if they will explain that in her background story?

That mostly depends on where khajiit grow up. It's more like an elsweyr accent.
    That one khajiit obsessed with werewolf behemoth and vampire lord. Lady Thorn is bae, dont @ me.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryuvain wrote: »

That mostly depends on where khajiit grow up. It's more like an elsweyr accent.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thank you!

I know it’s probably way too late, but it seems like her eyes should be a bit more closed, and a bit more dilated. She always seems to have this look of shocked surprise, like she’s staring into a bright white light shining in the night (that’s the phrase I use to illustrate the difference between Northern and Southern accents). 😺
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to the companions and was left in disappointment.

I'll just start by saying, Remove rapport decrease once the companion's Full questline is completed. So ppl at least can enjoy what they paid for.

I have completed dark brotherhood content on several characters yet non of the companions let me kill with the blade. I couldnt care less about the lore. Just let me use the content i paid for.

If it's not on innocent npcs LET us use the blade of woe.

Ember's whole idea was stealth or so i thought because it's a horrible idea to use her for it.
    Pickpicket unless maxed out can get you detected easily.
    I spend 30-40% of my time in eso stealthing and i can safely say npcs have eyes on their back sometimes.
    Yet all negative rapport for ember is about failing stealth. Nice alright ill just solo or use Mirri

----

One of the things eso has over other mmorpgs is stealth kill animations, they are fun. But if all companions will cry over it. Might has well give ppl a new Dagger they can use that is in no way related to dark bh or anything.
    Edited by francesinhalover on April 20, 2022 2:28AM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Monweel
    Monweel
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

I will tell you why... same reason we have rapport 'per character'... it's because ZOS believes Companions are meant to be thought of as individuals... so you help her on one character, then log into another and she's supposed to instantly recognize this new person who has never helped her? Same reason we can't apply helmets- apparently all Companions don't like helmets or what their face covered.

Yet skill wise it makes sense being account bound because the Companion is leveling up and growing in experience, regardless of who they travel with.

It's a pain, but I can see their point... they want us to think of Companions as 'people' not as "pets".

I still think this excuse of them not liking helmets is a very poor one. Mirri doesn't like spiders, goblins and evil daedra and yet you can have her dressed themed after any of those things... What is more likely to upset Isobel (a breton aedra worshipper)? Making her use the robes of a worm cultist of letting her (a knight) use a breton knight helmet? Seriously ZoS if there is a technical reason for the companions not being able to use helmets let us know and that's fine, but saying they don't use them because of their personality just doesn't feel right...
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some of Isobel's battle screams are more piercing than they need to be.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was able to find and acquire Ember as a companion, there was a bit of me running around until I found the quest starter that was not Ember (This was not a bad thing, just that I spent time running around looking for Ember to start the quest)

I was not able to dress Ember as I have either Mirri or Bastion, but I did not play for long, so if there is something I need to do to unlock that part, all well and good...

I was thinking that Ember would be the perfect companion for my mass-murdering pick pocket, but now I see Ember, while ok with Pick-pocketing, is not happy about killing them... I have been picking pockets for a long time, and it's always a let down when the person I am stealing from has empty pockets... because unlike containers that may have items for multiple characters, pockets can only be picked up to 3 times. To allow for the orderly looting of those pockets, blade of woe works out as a way to reset the poor victim quicker and to not leave them empty for the next pickpocket...

I would really have liked one of these companions to be as morally bankrupt as I am, they don't need to sneak around murdering people, but at least one should be at least ambivalent to the idea...
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok beeeeeeg issue discovered with Ember.

It must be a bug. It's just crazy.

Terrible for guild events and khajiit life in general.

She dislikes fishing!!!

How can this be? This is not right!

What is wrong with her?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Edit: here is the evidence.

https://youtu.be/GmynRproU8M
    Edited by SantieClaws on April 20, 2022 8:49AM

• Ryuvain
    Ryuvain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok beeeeeeg issue discovered with Ember.

It must be a bug. It's just crazy.

Terrible for guild events and khajiit life in general.

She dislikes fishing!!!

How can this be? This is not right!

What is wrong with her?

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws

Edit: here is the evidence.

https://youtu.be/GmynRproU8M

She considers it boring lol.
    There is a thread where their likes and dislikes are bring figured out.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/603253/isobel-ember-rapport-report-pts#latest

Thats how I found out she doesn't like fishing, or wolves.
  • Aedricbutter
    Aedricbutter
    Soul Shriven
    Ember's whole idea was stealth or so i thought because it's a horrible idea to use her for it.
    Pickpicket unless maxed out can get you detected easily.
    I spend 30-40% of my time in eso stealthing and i can safely say npcs have eyes on their back sometimes.
    Yet all negative rapport for ember is about failing stealth. Nice alright ill just solo or use Mirri

I want to second this. I feel like Ember fails to be a good stealth companion since even maxed out, certain factors can still cause a random pick pocketing failure. Rather than take that risk and deal with what would feel like undeserved negative rapport, it'll be the same as it is now: just solo the pick pocketing sprees. Even if it makes lore sense for her personality to dislike a "bad thief" that gets caught, I know instead I just won't take the risk of using her at all in these circumstances.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prolly a stupid question - on the PTS do companions need to be levelled up normally, or are there some ways to skip to max level?

I haven't used the pts for a few years, and before comitting to the download I want to know I can test the things I want too.

Off topic - it would be amazing if the pts server could be on stadia for no-download testing.

Companions really, really need hats.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Silverlotus
    Silverlotus
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right, but I'm pretty sure Ember tells you to meet her at the ritual circle to the north, but it is actually more south-west. Can anyone else confirm I am remembering correctly?
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    Prolly a stupid question - on the PTS do companions need to be levelled up normally, or are there some ways to skip to max level?

I haven't used the pts for a few years, and before comitting to the download I want to know I can test the things I want too.

If you make a max-level template character, they get the companions unlocked without doing their quests. They also get an item that can max out the companion's level and unlock all of their skills, and items that will increase or decrease the companion's rapport by one stage at a time.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

i could care less about the RP perspective, they have always been "pets" to me effectively

that is also a horribly sad excuse for making all of our toons run the same stupid mission to be able to use them, sure once to unlock them is fine, but once you unlock them you should be able to use them on any toon

functionally speaking you unlock them after the first time you run the quest, they just put a dumb flag on it to say your other toons have to also complete the quest

rapport makes more sense on a per character level, is it annoying? sure, but its negligible enough that it can be straight up ignored on alt toons

how would you like it if you say had to run thieves guild with ALL of your toons if you wanted them to be able to use the fence assistant? (not judging the fact the fence assistant is much less useful than companions, but it has the exact same unlock requirement as a companion, but is not treated as an "individual"), or how would you like any of the mementos from public dungeons being "per character" until you complete those quests?
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right, but I'm pretty sure Ember tells you to meet her at the ritual circle to the north, but it is actually more south-west. Can anyone else confirm I am remembering correctly?

I noted this also, thank you for reminding me, I figured she was directionally impaired...
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've only got Isobel so far, and find her a rather good "hybrid" tank/healer, and not so invasive as her predecessors.
    Her story quest is enjoyable (according to my tastes), with some humour, at last. We all need it.

Out of thread: Stibbons/Laurant never blunder.
  • shannarab16_ESO
    I would like to have more outfit slots for the companions.
    And/or the possibility to customize the colors of outfits and costumes per companion, not like now only account-wide.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please z let me use blade of woe on enemies when isobel is equiped. I was looking forward to this companion and her being a bastian 2.0 is breaking my heart.

I couldn't care less about the lore of the dark bh, I like the rest of assassins enjoy the stealth kill animations that's it, please we suffered with bastian and mirri, we just want to play the game the way we want with the casual content we purchased.

Thank you for the amazing game and expansion
    Edited by francesinhalover on April 20, 2022 11:53PM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    please z let me use blade of woe on enemies when isobel is equiped. I was looking forward to this companion and her being a bastian 2.0 is breaking my heart.

As far as I've seen from reports, using blade of woe on red circled 'enemies' doesn't generate negative rapport... but using it on INNOCENT NPCs does. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also nice that Thieves Troves with Isobel only generate -1 and not Bastian's -5... so it isn't that big of a deal. OR, you can just keybind the Companions and quickly switch between Isobel to Ember before collecting the Thieves Trove, as Ember gives you + rapport for it. :)
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel doesn't look like a Breton. She's as dark as my ex-girlfiend who's hispanic. What's next? A white Redguard companion?