The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please turn cross healing off again.

BlakMarket
BlakMarket
✭✭✭✭
Pvp would be much healthier without it.
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It wasn't last time they tried, but I'd love to try playing a Cyro or BGs that's self-heal only.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
    Options
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's fine until you have some ball groups stacking on top of other ball groups stacking on top of the faction zerg, causing exponential layers of crossheals and lag. I miss the days when ball groups farmed an enemy trikeep far away instead of faction stacking.
    Options
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »
    It's fine until you have some ball groups stacking on top of other ball groups stacking on top of the faction zerg, causing exponential layers of crossheals and lag. I miss the days when ball groups farmed an enemy trikeep far away instead of faction stacking.

Zos brought in sets to deter stacking but then keep cross healing enabled that encourages stacking, makes no sense.
    Options
  • Minnesinger
    Minnesinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlakMarket wrote: »

Zos brought in sets to deter stacking but then keep cross healing enabled that encourages stacking, makes no sense.

If you mean dark convergence by that the set itself makes no sense. It carries players. They should remove it altogether and maybe then disable cross healing. But like pointed out the last time they disabled cross healing pvp was dominated by groups who had healers with them or super burst builds.
    The wind is cold where I live,
    The blizzard is my home,
    Snow and ice and loaded dice, the Wizard lives alone.
    Options
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    They only disabled cross heals between different groups/solo players, not cross healing inside groups. A 12 men group with cross healing have enaugh targets for cross heals, and enaugh people that heal them. Their radiant regen/group vigor find enaugh targets in group to reach cap, they have no capacity left for players outside group. But if i see another solo player beeing targeted by multiple enemys and needing heal i cant heal him because he is not in my group. Cross healing inside groups also have to be disabled like cross healing between different groups.
    Options
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iriidius wrote: »
    They only disabled cross heals between different groups/solo players, not cross healing inside groups. A 12 men group with cross healing have enaugh targets for cross heals, and enaugh people that heal them. Their radiant regen/group vigor find enaugh targets in group to reach cap, they have no capacity left for players outside group. But if i see another solo player beeing targeted by multiple enemys and needing heal i cant heal him because he is not in my group. Cross healing inside groups also have to be disabled like cross healing between different groups.

The cross-heal targeting is not that intelligent. Try surfing a ball group on your own faction - you won't ever die until they die.
    Options
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭

The cross-heal targeting is not that intelligent. Try surfing a ball group on your own faction - you won't ever die until they die.

Yeah You can let the ballgroup heal you if you are fast enaugh to follow them and stay inside them. But if you make cross healing group only the heal would just go to another ball group member insteat to the ball group surfer. It wouldnt hurt the ball group at all, only the ungrouped players following them.
    Group only Cross healing doesnt hurt ball groups and other organized groups, it hurts ungrouped players.

Edited by Iriidius on April 12, 2022 10:01PM
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disabling cross healing is just going to make it easier for ball groups to farm zergs. Zergs of random players are not grouped together and with cross healing disabled you prevent them from healing each other.

-e

Isn't removing cross healing in groups basically the same as just removing healers from pvp (as in you can only heal yourself)? Because I can't picture that being a popular or fun decision.
    Options
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    Disabling cross healing is just going to make it easier for ball groups to farm zergs. Zergs of random players are not grouped together and with cross healing disabled you prevent them from healing each other.

-e

Isn't removing cross healing in groups basically the same as just removing healers from pvp (as in you can only heal yourself)? Because I can't picture that being a popular or fun decision.

I think group cross healing should be still enabled, but outside of group should be disabled to promote more small scale pvp and not faction stacked zergs.

Also, ballgroups only run for a couple of hours and are easy to avoid, you really make the conscious decision to get farmed by them, plenty of other fights on the map when they run,
    Options
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭

-e

Let's be real how many ball groups are actually "farming" zergs. All I see on primetime PC-NA GH is faction stacks consisting of 4+ "ball groups" spamming cross-heals over 80+ players. Everybody can see that the performance becomes dreadful every time a ball group joins their faction stack. And frankly I'd even be glad if they were able to farm zergs better - less players alive = less lag.
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

-e

I think group cross healing should be still enabled, but outside of group should be disabled to promote more small scale pvp and not faction stacked zergs.

Also, ballgroups only run for a couple of hours and are easy to avoid, you really make the conscious decision to get farmed by them, plenty of other fights on the map when they run,

ZOS already tried that. They reverted it.

What's your reasoning for why ZOS should do it a second time for exactly the same results?
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time they did something like this, vast majority of solo players (randoms) stopped pvp-ing. It got to the point that we had forum threads about ball-groups complaining that all they fight are other ball-groups (which was hilarious in its own way :joy: ) but showed the scale of the problem.

Because it is not like you can disable cross healing and all of the sudden the game will be better for everyone. It will create its own pile of problems.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on April 13, 2022 12:27PM
    Options
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No cross healing sounds like a major nerf to healers. Speaking purely out of self interest, I'm good not having that. But honestly, ball groups wouldn't be stopped by it either. Piling together in a big group and rolling over enemies is kind of a thing that naturally comes out of large group PVP.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
    Options
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭

-e

If you are in a ball group with 12 healing staffs and 12 rapid regen, you have 11 players that can heal you and 11 players you can heal. Group only cross healing only hurts players that dont have healers in their group. Probably many Ball groups would like it when Zerg surfers following them would get killed off and they didnt had to share their victories and ap with them.
    And Cyrodiil is already dominated by Ball groups and other organized groups with cross heal, not by ungrouped players forming random alliances?
    Why it is a Problem when i heal another solo player that is pressured by a group but not a problem if a group is keeping up cross heal all the time and just outheals siege weapons, bombers and other players trying to kill them?
    Why should the nerf only effect solo players and not the ones really getting advantage from cross healing?

Playing in a group with healers allows you to survive even if you are playing really bad while plqying solo you often get killed no matter how good you are playing.
    Edited by Iriidius on April 13, 2022 2:33PM
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why are there so many group players that seem to think ungrouped randoms shouldn't even be allowed to fight back?

The toxicity around nigh-unkillable heal stack groups is only going to keep ramping up until major changes are made.
    Options
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are there so many group players that seem to think ungrouped randoms shouldn't even be allowed to fight back?

The toxicity around nigh-unkillable heal stack groups is only going to keep ramping up until major changes are made.

X vs. 1 fights are inherently unfair. I don't think lessening the ability to heal others is going to change that.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
    Options
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭

They not only think you shouldnt be able to fight back they also think you shouldnt be able to avoid fighting them. Solo players should be farmed like mats.
    They should buff the lag you get when you get attacked by a group until solo players cant do anything if they are attacked by a group.

Marginis wrote: »

X vs. 1 fights are inherently unfair. I don't think lessening the ability to heal others is going to change that.

Surviving against multiple players is already difficult enaugh, staying on the offensive even harder, but even if you hit them with enaugh to kill them in 1v1 while you get attacked by multiple other players, you wont kill them because they get cross healed. One player that can hide behind his group mates and get bodyblocked by them whenever they want or run away while you get stunned/snared has already enaugh advantages.
    Edited by Iriidius on April 13, 2022 9:21PM
    Options
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1vXers generally liked group-only heals because they tend to fight unorganized players anyway. So anything that weakened their opponents was a good thing for them.

Another issue with group-only healing is that it also makes fights between theoretically equal numbers into hilariously unfair fights. We saw that when ZOS tried it.

Let's say you have a group of 6 players at a resource, and 6 ungrouped randoms show up at the same resource. The first 6 players can heal each other. The ungrouped six can't. If this is to be an equal fight, then the ungrouped randoms have to stop beforehand and group up before starting the fight.

Who does that? Nobody. It's just not practical.

Not only did it remove ungrouped healers from PVP completely (group up or play a different character, basically), it also made it a lot harder for ungrouped randoms to fight even when they had equal numbers to their grouped opponents.

When we look at what happened with the 12-man ball groups vs 12 PUGs, well, it was no contest. These are ball groups who trained to fight a faction stack of PUGS who could heal each other...once ZOS split the faction stack into multiple 12-man groups who couldn't heal each other, it was a slaughter.

Xylena's right that group-only healing strongly favored ball groups. To a lesser extent, it favored coordinated small scale groups and 1vXers. It's devastating to ungrouped players who want to play at objectives because suddenly they can't be healed by others who are supposedly on the same team. I mean, when ZOS did group-only healing, you couldn't even heal the guy next to you being targeted by a Vicious Death bomber if he wasn't in your group.

(Not directed at you here, but I find it interesting we're having to rehash the reasons why group-only healing was a problem the last time ZOS tried it. IIRC, they said on stream that it was a bad gameplay experience not being to heal someone who was right next to you.)
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1vXers generally liked group-only heals because they tend to fight unorganized players anyway. So anything that weakened their opponents was a good thing for them.

Another issue with group-only healing is that it also makes fights between theoretically equal numbers into hilariously unfair fights. We saw that when ZOS tried it.

Let's say you have a group of 6 players at a resource, and 6 ungrouped randoms show up at the same resource. The first 6 players can heal each other. The ungrouped six can't. If this is to be an equal fight, then the ungrouped randoms have to stop beforehand and group up before starting the fight.

Not only did it remove ungrouped healers from PVP completely (group up or play a different character, basically), it also made it a lot harder for ungrouped randoms to fight even when they had equal numbers to their grouped opponents.

When we look at what happened with the 12-man ball groups vs 12 PUGs, well, it was no contest. These are ball groups who trained to fight a faction stack of PUGS who could heal each other...once ZOS split the faction stack into multiple 12-man groups who couldn't heal each other, it was a slaughter.

Xylena's right that group-only healing strongly favored ball groups. To a lesser extent, it favored coordinated small scale groups and 1vXers. It's devastating to ungrouped players who want to play at objectives because suddenly they can't be healed by others who are supposedly on the same team. I mean, when ZOS did group-only healing, you couldn't even heal the guy next to you being targeted by a Vicious Death bomber if he wasn't in your group.

(Not directed at you here, but I find it interesting we're having to rehash the reasons why group-only healing was a problem the last time ZOS tried it. IIRC, they said on stream that it was a bad gameplay experience not being to heal someone who was right next to you.)

Because the people who were there when they tried it left the game in frustration and now new people are here requesting solutions that have already been tried.
    Options
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭

Even if the 6 randoms and the 6 man group both have/dont have cross healing, the group still has an advantage because they probably have a leader giving them commands and coordination and maybe they have discord. Would prefer to see 6 randoms defeat the group because the group is probably always grouped and zerging solo players while the randoms are probably solo most of the time.
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd rather be zerged down 6v1 in the tower than heal-v-one'd until I get bored and leave. Like I'll be fighting 3 guys, I'll move in to kill the one that's low, then oh no, another 3 guys show up! Do they take advantage of me letting my guard down for an easy kill? Of course not, they spam heals on my target (with at least 1 healing ult) then blob up on the flag doing nothing but spamming more heals. Then we just kinda stare at each other. Nobody dies. Or even fights.

So yea, nerfing cross healing (and group healing this time) would indeed change things. For the better.
    Options
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather be zerged down 6v1 in the tower than heal-v-one'd until I get bored and leave. Like I'll be fighting 3 guys, I'll move in to kill the one that's low, then oh no, another 3 guys show up! Do they take advantage of me letting my guard down for an easy kill? Of course not, they spam heals on my target (with at least 1 healing ult) then blob up on the flag doing nothing but spamming more heals. Then we just kinda stare at each other. Nobody dies. Or even fights.

So yea, nerfing cross healing (and group healing this time) would indeed change things. For the better.

Sounds like what you're after is more decisive fights, rather than fights that go on and on - not the ability to 1vX more effectively, per se. If that is the case, I agree - less heals does tend to equal shorter fights. But wouldn't then it also make sense to want to nerf tanks and self heals? Why not just make everyone a glass cannon? Get rid of roles entirely?

I understand perfectly that there would be an adverse ripple effect - just think about how PVE would be affected. What I'm saying is that the dynamic you're looking for is not the dynamic of ESO. If you want to play a different type of game, that's fair - but I would encourage people to try and think within the bounds of the game they're in before trying to turn ESO into a different game entirely.

Which, aside from everything else, everyone wants to turn ESO into a new game different from everyone else who wants to turn ESO into a new game, so that clearly never works. So if there's a problem, we need to think of solutions that aren't just turning ESO into something it's not.

Just to show I can walk the walk, here's an idea - maybe lessen heals the more people they affect. Would require some balancing, sure, but I think that may be a good solution to the issues brought up in this thread without turning completely upside down the game dynamics.

Here's another one - make heals more targeted and less spammable. ZoS already designed tanks around the idea that there are no group taunts, which gives tanks in PVE an extra layer to how they play and use their rotations. Why not do something similar with healers, where there is an element of skill to where and when they send out their heals, rather than just spamming area heals? Again, this would require some balancing for power, but the concept would largely eliminate the problems in this thread - again without upturning the mechanics the game is designed around.

tl;dr The best solution usually isn't "NERF THIS ENTIRE ROLE BECAUSE OF THIS ONE THING I DON'T LIKE IN ONE SPECIFIC GAME MODE".
    Options
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sounds like what you're after is more decisive fights, rather than fights that go on and on - not the ability to 1vX more effectively, per se. If that is the case, I agree - less heals does tend to equal shorter fights. But wouldn't then it also make sense to want to nerf tanks and self heals? Why not just make everyone a glass cannon? Get rid of roles entirely?
    Yup I'm gonna keep saying that we need to buff the ability to end fights, and (severely) nerf the ability to stalemate them. Stacks of mobile HoTs (generally RR/EV) are by far the biggest offender and should be addressed first. Individually tanky-healy players are annoying but ultimately still pretty easy to zerg down.
    Options
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    Atm organized groups with cross heal are dominating everything. If you dont belong to them you can 1v1 them because they dont seperate, you cant 1vX them, you cant bomb them, you cant Zerg them and you also cant run away from them, you can only feed them. If you cant beat them you should maybe join them but they are not inviting random noobs like you usually.
    So if you are not part of one of this groups you are excluded from PvP or at least chanceless.
    Edited by Iriidius on April 14, 2022 11:40PM
    Options
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atm organized groups with cross heal are dominating everything. If you dont belong to them you can 1v1 them because they dont seperate, you cant 1vX them, you cant bomb them, you cant Zerg them and you also cant run away from them, you can only feed them. If you cant beat them you should maybe join them but they are not inviting random noobs like you usually.
    So if you are not part of one of this groups you are excluded from PvP or at least chanceless.

Run a ball group guild. Most people in my group have been in PvP for less than a year. Will happily take new folks who want to learn.
    Options
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pvp would be much healthier without it.

I don't understand why on Earth cross healing is a thing at all. It's nonsensical at face value. Can Albs heal Hibs or Mids in Daoc? Can the Alliance heal the Horde in BGs? Who came up with such a terrible idea--and why was it allowed to go live in the first place?!!
    Options
  • Janni
    Janni
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surviving against multiple players is already difficult enaugh, staying on the offensive even harder, but even if you hit them with enaugh to kill them in 1v1 while you get attacked by multiple other players, you wont kill them because they get cross healed. One player that can hide behind his group mates and get bodyblocked by them whenever they want or run away while you get stunned/snared has already enaugh advantages.

Please let's get our terminology straight here because lots of people keep saying the same words with different meanings.

Cross Healing = Healing Those Outside of your Group
    Heal Stacking = Multiple Identical Heal-Over-Time Effects Ticking on a Single Person

The first one is not a problem at all. It's called being a healer helping out others in need. The second one is the issue and it's what allows large groups (especially organized ones where EVERYONE is running vigor and regen) to remain nearly immortal.
    Options
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Janni wrote: »

Please let's get our terminology straight here because lots of people keep saying the same words with different meanings.

Heal Stacking = Multiple Identical Heal-Over-Time Effects Ticking on a Single Person

The first one is not a problem at all. It's called being a healer helping out others in need. The second one is the issue and it's what allows large groups (especially organized ones where EVERYONE is running vigor and regen) to remain nearly immortal.

Thank you for the clarification. Heal stacking has to go then...that should be priority #1.
    Options
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    Janni wrote: »

Isnt cross healing = healing other people except yourself? They only disabled healing between different groups(every solo player also a group), probably only to reduce calculations, after AoE Tests. Organized groups and especially Ball groups already use cross healing most efficient by stacking heals, but group only healing only disabled cross healing for players not organized as a group. It was changed mainly for performance.
    But you are right that heal stacking is the problem. Many groups are heal stacking even if there is noone to fight that is damaging them. This way you cant even kill them if you catch them unexpected.
    Edited by Iriidius on April 17, 2022 12:30PM
    Options
  • Silversmith
    Silversmith
    ✭✭✭
    Reduce all healing by 95%.
    Options