The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Those NPCs we love appreciation thread

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favorites are Velsa from the Thieves Guild and Meer-Ta from that group of argonians in Blackwood. I also really like Angof from Glenumbra, I think hugely in part because his voice actor (speaking for the german one) does an incredible job at voicing him, the voice is perfect for him and makes him sound so compelling.

i actually remember him more from that quest in coldharbour where you have to participate in that never-ending battle between angof, the kinlady, and the necromancer guy (i dont remember all their names lol)

Thallik Wormfather was the necromancer.

But of the three I liked Angof the best; he at least realized he’d screwed up.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorites are Velsa from the Thieves Guild and Meer-Ta from that group of argonians in Blackwood. I also really like Angof from Glenumbra, I think hugely in part because his voice actor (speaking for the german one) does an incredible job at voicing him, the voice is perfect for him and makes him sound so compelling.

i actually remember him more from that quest in coldharbour where you have to participate in that never-ending battle between angof, the kinlady, and the necromancer guy (i dont remember all their names lol)

thanks lol, its been awhile since i did that area (but ive done it like 8 times lol)

i think hes the one i usually picked but ive done all of them at least once just to see the dialogs (i think the most picked one IS thalik with 2nd most being angof)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I loved Angof the best of the three also. He seemed redeemable, and I was happy to find him living next door to my house in Coldharbor.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SO...I like the SIlent Bequeather. I can silently glare at her and she silently glares back and I imagine a glowering and intense stand off and it makes me giggle.

(And of course i like many already captured here in this thread...ok all but Eveli....I dislike her a lot...but was trying to go with one not mentioned already.
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faves:

Naryu
    Elam Drals
    Abnur Tharne (his quip to Lyris re: her lack of education and repeated blows to the head is the best line in the game)
    Arox the Mutilator
    That Nord ambassador that keeps showing up in new zones
    Caldwell of course.
    Elevie
    Lyranth

Most hated:
    Razum-dar. The whole “this one…” thing is overdone already and taken to the extreme with him. Poorly acted AND written.
    Every argonian except MAYBE the one in Cradle of Shadows.
    Bastion
    Sai Sirhan. I had him killed and was really disappointed to see him come back. Must have been that new “joining encounter in progres” feature.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rigurt the Brash!

5owkpd4hxo2l.png

Edited by Enemy-of-Coldharbour on March 31, 2022 9:34PM
    Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »
    Faves:

Naryu
    Elam Drals
    Abnur Tharne (his quip to Lyris re: her lack of education and repeated blows to the head is the best line in the game)
    Arox the Mutilator
    Caldwell of course.
    Elevie
    Lyranth

Most hated:
    Razum-dar. The whole “this one…” thing is overdone already and taken to the extreme with him. Poorly acted AND written.
    Bastion
    Sai Sirhan. I had him killed and was really disappointed to see him come back. Must have been that new “joining encounter in progres” feature.

whats funny is that raz is one of my faves lol, i think a lot of his dialog is funny, however there are a lot of other khajiits i dont like that much where i feel their chatter is kind of forced
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rigurt the Brash!

Rigurt the Brash!

That’s him!!!
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aranias the Wilder Queen. Want her as a companion.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    CLAN MOTHER TADALI!
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love me some Caska!, also Xukas, my friendo in the swamps.
    Edited by Blinx on March 31, 2022 10:58PM
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread!

Um, there's a few I can think of off the top of my head straight away that are great.

Shazar! I can see the challenge in including her again, but I REALLY hope that they find a way to include our manifest choice again one day. Maybe when we finally get to see Corinthe?

Valaste! Might be hard for similar reasons, though I can imagine ways to surmount the challenges. Especially WHEN they eventually get to doing a Shivering Isles chapter (this is inevitable).

Almost every Argonian I meet. I just love their personality. Mereel, from Spindleclutch. So dry, so observant. "Mmmboss? I..don't think he's listening." I think her remarks about Meridia's protection are a very interesting little tidbit that could be capitalised on further, but even without that, she's just cool.

Heem-jas is just amazing. I can see how he might get annoying for people if he were overdone, but I think he's awesome and enjoy every encounter.

I agree with Abnur Tharn, though I liked him a little more during base game. I loved that among such a heroic, self-sacrificing cast of do-gooders he was so unapolgetically, grittily realist and cuttingly pragmatic. His redeeming qualities did not dilute his character flaws so you're forced to love him just as much as you hate him. His quips and counters to Sahan's and Titanborn's doomed heroism and his sardonic outlook didn't hurt, either!

I also agree with Angof. In fact, he'd probably be a pretty forgettable villain at the end of the day if not for the fact that we get some insight into his motivations later on, and share in the absolute redemption he earns himself.

Gabrielle Benele is pretty cool. Just seems like a well-balanced individual. I imagine we'll see more of her.

Arana was cool, but I really liked Ard Caddach. I think he was well done. In a DLC that was taking on the challenging role of giving us a sympathetic perspective on a people we'd seen constantly as enemies, they did well not to compromise his innate character. One, he's not overly important to the entire Reach character anyway, which sits well with their view on kingship. And when you challenge him on his involvement with Mannimarco, instead of backing down or being a sop about it he's all like "yeah, I made a bargain with him! So what? Why wouldn't I?" As an aside, Ard Ri is Irish for High King, which seems like an obvious inspiration. But... isn't "Ard" the "High" part?

• krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faves:

Naryu
    Elam Drals
    Arox the Mutilator
    Caldwell of course.
    Elevie
    Lyranth

Most hated:
    Bastion

whats funny is that raz is one of my faves lol, i think a lot of his dialog is funny, however there are a lot of other khajiits i dont like that much where i feel their chatter is kind of forced

I think my dislike for Razun-dar is that almost every NPC in the entire race has the exact same personality.

No other race is shoehorned into a single personality like this and they just keep ramming it down our throats. And Razum-dar wraps it all up into one lame cliche.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bakkhara - too many to list - many listed above but recently Bakkhara is great.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Faves:

Naryu
    Elam Drals
    Arox the Mutilator
    Caldwell of course.
    Elevie
    Lyranth

Most hated:
    Bastion

I love Raz too! He literally became the best friend of my Bosmer, and I remember being actually upset when I thought he died at the end of the AD story. That was 8 years ago.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    I love Raz too! He literally became the best friend of my Bosmer, and I remember being actually upset when I thought he died at the end of the AD story. That was 8 years ago.

Fun fact: back in beta, I’d originally planned to play Daggerfall Covenant. (This is before they opened up all the Alliance territories to everyone, obviously.) But I decided to play through the other two Alliances for the beta because we had to restart after each update anyway and I figured I wasn’t going to get to see them again. And then Queen Ayrenn and Razum-dar stole me away and I ended up AD. :D
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Caupo
    Caupo
    ✭✭✭
    Wyress Helene in Glenumbra! Even tho she appears in only one quest for a short time :D

Oh, and also Lady Clarisse Laurent, at least one NPC with the right worldview :)
    Edited by Caupo on April 1, 2022 12:26PM
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun fact: back in beta, I’d originally planned to play Daggerfall Covenant. (This is before they opened up all the Alliance territories to everyone, obviously.) But I decided to play through the other two Alliances for the beta because we had to restart after each update anyway and I figured I wasn’t going to get to see them again. And then Queen Ayrenn and Razum-dar stole me away and I ended up AD. :D

Isn't that like with some alts, which you create for a specific purpose, but never intended to play them much - and then they became your main characters? Happened to me quite often in a variety of games.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find many of the 'wanna be likable' NPCs have been overdone to the point of irritation

I'm with you on that. There tends to be an inverse relationship between how much a character is pushed because I'm supposed to like them and how much I actually do like them.

But in terms of NPCs I really like and haven't gotten their day back in the spotlight - Holgunn and Walks-in-Ash from the Pact storyline.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raz is like a politician - all talk, no action - whenever he is supposed to help, he says "let's separate to avoid unwanted attention" and is never to be seen until the time is up to get the credit for all of what you have done. I don't like his behavior.
    Edited by Lysette on April 1, 2022 12:42PM
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't been to Skywatch lately, but I like one of the guards at the gate. When you talk to him post quest, he says something like "Nice to see you, sigh, again."
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The naked nord (Norgred Hardhelm) from Deshaan,Maiq,Raz and Rigurt.
    Big shoutout to all little cute alfiqs in North and Sothern Elsweyr.
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gwendis and Adusa-daro
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gabriel Benele is clearly underrated.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Green-Venom-Tongue. Why do all the Shadowscales have to be so damned charismatic? lol. Seriously though, was sad to see him go. He reminded me a lot of Veezara from TES 5 Skyrim.

Pretty much any main Thieve's Guild member and Silver-Claw. They all have such distinct personalities

Little-Leaf >>>>>>>>>> Eveli Sharp-Arrow. Just saying.

It may seem strange but one minor side-quest character that really stuck in my mind was Mazrahil the Sly Scarab in Bangkorai. He's a very down-to-earth character that is a lot more relatable than your average character I suppose. I guess it may be because there's nothing supernatural or overtly extraordinary about him, he simply does what he can despite his age and old wounds catching up to him.

Shazah and Khali sisters... I hated making that choice, but damn does that choice really stick in ones memory.

Not really an NPC character I can say that I 'love' but I can't seem to forget Sir Hughes. He committed many wrongdoings while under Vaermina's influence but in the end he realized his sins and was remorseful. Deciding whether to give him a life of shame and risking further instability to the Covenant or a more honorable death was one of the toughest choices for me. On an unrelated note, I am still waiting for a dlc/chapter where Vaermina makes good on their promise to get revenge on us for foiling their plans.

Drake of Blades. Again, a hero that is not overtly extraordinary or pulling magic out of their ass every two seconds. Sacrificing herself and her own freedom, and even all memory of her actions for all eternity to just to keep Molag Bal at bay... Talk about going above-and-beyond duty. She never even told us her true name.

I guess you can say the characters I loved the most are the ones that made the experience unforgettable. The characters in more recent DLC stories just don't seem to achieve that degree of impact.
    Edited by Finedaible on April 1, 2022 8:00PM
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sereyne the drunk mage kitty

https://youtube.com/watch?v=t-0IvhSerW0
  • noobfury
    noobfury
    ✭✭✭
    Favorite is Gwendis

Most disliked is definitely Lyris
    noobfury earned the Eighth Anniversary badge.Thanks for sticking with us for 8 years. PC NA
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I honestly like Lyris. Yes she's stoic, but her negotiation skills are funny in Markarth when she slugged one of the Ard's guards. I also really like the progressing love story between her and Sai. I get people are angry about how their deaths got retconned, but I still like the characters, and I'm glad they're alive. I think canonically it will go down in history as Varen being the one sacrificed due to his appearance in Wrothgar.

I'll give another shout out to Caldwell with this screenshot of my Bosmer chilling with him during the Main Quest:

pNEtSCg.png

Edited by Kesstryl on April 2, 2022 10:25PM
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    So many good NPCs here! I love a lot of them. Let's see who hasn't been mentioned...

Selveni Andalor from False Martyr's Folly in the Deadlands! He decides you're Sotha Sil in disguise and refuses to hear otherwise. Also Sotha Sil, he's my favourite Tribunal member.
    [snip]

Oh yes, Selveni. He's so particularly brave, but makes up for that by being completely confused <3

Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get people are angry about how their deaths got retconned, but I still like the characters, and I'm glad they're alive.

The dead should remain dead, not brought back to life to sell new chapters. And there wasn't even any semi-logical retconning. Having a dead character say, 'I don't really know how I got here, but here I am! Let's go!' is not a good look for the lore keepers. Surely there's enough creativity to introduce new heroes instead?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.