The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can't open Chrome after starting ESO?

Alastrine
Alastrine
✭✭✭✭
This may sound weird... since the update this morning, once I start the game I can't minimize it and open Chrome (using the Chrome button in task bar). It just appears to depress, little hourglass for a second, then nothing. Nothing else is open and its not my antivirus or anything else.
If I reboot, I can open Chrome just fine - although it initially says that it wasn't shut down correctly.
It might not even be ESO causing this, just the timeline seems odd since the update this morning and it only does it after I have started ESO. Other things work fine. Scans are all clear.
Open initial ESO startup screen, no issues, can still open Chrome.
Click Play and open main login screen - no more Chrome.
Anyone have any ideas or is it happening to anyone else by chance?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on March 15, 2022 1:48AM
  • FaylenSol
    FaylenSol
    ✭✭✭✭
    There isn't enough information to say for sure, but its possible ESO is using up too much of your computers resources while running to process chrome quickly now.

ESO can be rather RAM and CPU heavy. Back when I had a 6th Gen i5 I couldn't open Chrome while ESO was launching until it made it to the character select screen (and that would take forever). Once I upgraded my CPU/MoBo that fixed the issue for me entirely. ESO would put my CPU usage to 100% while launching but after the upgrade its barely 30%.

Try monitoring your computers CPU/Memory usage while ESO is launching in Task Manager and see if its causing your unit it lag up.

There are other explanations as well but your particular situation is very similar to what I was going through.
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    FaylenSol wrote: »
    There isn't enough information to say for sure, but its possible ESO is using up too much of your computers resources while running to process chrome quickly now.

ESO can be rather RAM and CPU heavy. Back when I had a 6th Gen i5 I couldn't open Chrome while ESO was launching until it made it to the character select screen (and that would take forever). Once I upgraded my CPU/MoBo that fixed the issue for me entirely. ESO would put my CPU usage to 100% while launching but after the upgrade its barely 30%.

Try monitoring your computers CPU/Memory usage while ESO is launching in Task Manager and see if its causing your unit it lag up.

There are other explanations as well but your particular situation is very similar to what I was going through.

Thanks, I'll check that.
    What is also weird is I can start another program, with ESO minimized, and if that program has a link to its website, click on that and it will open in Chrome... from there I can surf just fine and there is no lag. I can keep that screen open while playing ESO and minimize to go back to it anytime. It's very weird lol.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having the same issues with Brave. Worked fine until the update today. Now I have to uninstall/reinstall and it works, until I open the game. Once I do that I cannot get a window to open and the Event Viewer states Brave has crashed. Something in this update is messing with browsers and there is NO good reason for that.

"The description for Event ID 0 from source brave cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The following information was included with the event:

Service stopped"

Now Firefox is hanging and not working properly. Umm what in the world is in this update to hook into our browsers?? My resources are fine and again Brave and Firefox worked until the update.

WIN 7 Ultimate 64
  • cncurbanmonk
    cncurbanmonk
    ✭✭
    Having same problem, my Son reloaded Chrome and killed all my bookmarks, wasted an hour trying to get those back and same crap can't shift/tab out and open a window it opens and closes back down instant......Chrome/Win 7.....then can't open a window after closing game until I reboot and it says "chrome didn't shut down properly" even if I wasn't able to use it.
    Edited by cncurbanmonk on March 15, 2022 2:16AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Win 7 may be the common denominator?
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't tried while ESO is open, but after closing down ESO. Chrome would not launch till I restarted my machine.
    windows 7 pro
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Warstory
    Warstory
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue. After launching ESO and even after shutting down ESO, I can't open chrome. I have to reboot my system. After rebooting, it seems to be removing bookmarks and logging chrome out of sites like twitch, gmail, etc, and I have to log back into those sites. As long as I have chrome open and keep it open before launching ESO, I don't seem to have any issues. I have never had this happen before and it just started with the latest patch.

I'm on Windows 7 64 pro, fresh game install and no addons.
    PC NA
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Win 7 Pro here as well.
    Bit of a relief to find others with the same problem, was wondering if I'd picked up a bug though couldn't find anything.
    Thank you all for posting! Guess this is somehow a game update issue.
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno is there any way someone can look into this for us? The game should not be hooking into our browsers nor should it be logging in and out of our accounts on sites like it is!

I thought maybe it had something to do with linked accounts but I don't link my accounts like Twitter and Twitch to the game. Regardless the game should not have that type of access.
  • WNAPosadzkib16_ESO
    WNAPosadzkib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 7 HP as well.
    If I log out and back in. That cures the problem. I use Opera which uses the Chrome engine.
    Alarm clocks kill dreams. A conclusion is simply where you stopped thinking. The measure of the greatness of a society lies in how it treats its weakest members.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radiostar wrote: »
    Haven't tried while ESO is open, but after closing down ESO. Chrome would not launch till I restarted my machine.
    windows 7 pro

Same for me.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windows 7 home edition. Chrome and Iridium (probably all Chromium forks too) will instantly crash on startup if I played ESO earlier during that session and rebooting the system fixes the problem. There's no trace of it left in the system event viewer. Browsers that utilize different engines, like Pale Moon and old Gecko-based versions of Firefox are unaffected. I haven't tested it with the TOR browser yet.

I don't even try to open Chrome or its forks when the game is still running or to launch ESO with any memory hogging apps in the background. I even use Steam in -no-browser mode.
  • Daimonion82
    Daimonion82
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. Firefox works fine. It's just Chrome.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same problem on my Windows 7 machine after running the PTS client in recent weeks. I haven't tried it on that machine since it went live, and Chrome works ok after playing ESO on my Windows 10 machine.

BUT: Since installing the update on the Windows 10 machine I can't open the Glyph launcher (to play Rift) after I've played ESO. It's fine after a machine boot, but not after running ESO. I just double-click on the Glyph icon and nothing happens.
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if there was some acknowledgement of the issue from ZoS. I realize there are a lot of issues right now but I consider this one to be fairly important.
    As Seravi posted, the game should not be affecting our browser and logins this way. This could mean I just stop playing until this is resolved.
    Could Support please post something here that they are at least aware of the problem????? They have posted in almost all other threads in this section.
  • ilander
    ilander
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm my Google Chrome doesn't open since this new patch as well.
    Also, the new patch bottlenecks my cpu where i had no problems before so there could be a connection here from what other people are saying.
    Most Averagest Player EU PvP - More averager than you'll ever be.. GUARANTEED!

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For anyone having issues Chrome not opening after ESO has started, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support so this can be looked into.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    For anyone having issues Chrome not opening after ESO has started, please go ahead and start a ticket with customer support so this can be looked into.

Which category and sub-category do you recommend please? Nothing really fits this problem (in my case it's both failing to open Chrome on a Windows 7 machine and failing to open Glyph on a Windows 10 machine).
  • cncurbanmonk
    cncurbanmonk
    ✭✭
    Well I guess let us know when you guys figure it out, as this restarting my computer 10x a day not cutting it.
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Which category and sub-category do you recommend please? Nothing really fits this problem (in my case it's both failing to open Chrome on a Windows 7 machine and failing to open Glyph on a Windows 10 machine).

Agreed. None of the options fit the issue.
    Not sure why everyone has to do a ticket... this is obviously an issue with more than 1 client, it's an update related issue affecting most likely a lot of people - many wouldn't post.
    It's affecting people with addons, and people without addons.
    Plus, it looked like just a Win7 issue but it also seems to be a Win10 issue as well.
    It's a real pain in the you know where and yes, restarting your computer constantly and dealing with it sure discourages playing at all.
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭

NONE of the support options on any level fit the issue.
    Please advise.
    Otherwise, to blindly choose something will likely get our ticket relegated to the 'not important enough' level.
  • tzb16_ESO
    tzb16_ESO
    ✭✭
    Same issue here. Win 7 64, ESO crashes Chrome, Edge, my E-Book Reader and a handful of other apps that are chromium based.
  • Madarc
    Madarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem existed before the patch when I started the PTS. Since it only affected the PTS I didn't paid attention to it.
    Now AFTER the patch I have the same problem with the 'normal' server - Opera/Crome problems exactly as described here.

P.S.:
    Alastrine wrote: »
    NONE of the support options on any level fit the issue.
    Please advise.
    Otherwise, to blindly choose something will likely get our ticket relegated to the 'not important enough' level.
    This!
    Edited by Madarc on March 17, 2022 7:07AM
    Ich wünsche mir in TESO für alle meine Charaktere: Ein Kostüm, auf dessen Rücken in fetten neongrün strahlenden Buchstaben steht:
    ARKANIST, geh mir aus dem Weg.. du leuchtender Sozialkontakt !
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, has anybody found a workaround, other than customer service telling you to reset your router, check for a valid internet connection, etc? It's obviously a ZOS issue, as this wasn't a problem for us before Update 33. And I don't see them rolling back the patch for some Win 7 users. But I'm getting really tired of rebooting my computer or leaving Chrome open 24/7.

Edited by Jaraal on March 17, 2022 3:15PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    So, has anybody found a workaround, other than customer service telling you to reset your router, check for a valid internet connection, etc? It's obviously a ZOS issue, as this wasn't a problem for us before Update 33. And I don't see them rolling back the patch for some Win 7 users. But I'm getting really tired of rebooting my computer or leaving Chrome open 24/7.

The only workaround I know of is to open the affected application and then minimise it before running ESO.
    Edited by Tandor on March 17, 2022 7:36PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @tandor @Alastrine I went with Connection Issues > Error Code > (Option to type None since EC doesn't directly apply.)
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Jaraal wrote: »

The only workaround I know of is to open the offending application and then minimise it before running ESO.

Yeah that's what I have to do now. But even if I haven't played ESO since yesterday, Chrome still won't open if I close it again. Rebooting is the only option. Reboot, and Chrome will open and close normally while I run any other programs but ESO. But once ESO has been loaded up, Chrome is guaranteed to not open again the next time you load it.... no matter how long you wait after closing ESO.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Jaraal a log out (Windows) worked for me. That still sucks, but slightly less than a full reboot does.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah this is a total pain. No game should have it's hooks into your browser and logins like this. Not my connection, router, computer or the way I sit while playing. NEVER had this issue before Monday.
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    @tandor @Alastrine I went with Connection Issues > Error Code > (Option to type None since EC doesn't directly apply.)

Thanks, I'll use that.