Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

RIP Old Computer :(

k9mouse
k9mouse
✭✭✭✭✭
My main computer die today. :'( I am forced to use a craptop and Stadia. (Stadia is not bad. B) )

May someone look this part list and tell what they think for a new computer please, thanks :)

CPU: (1) AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Vermeer 3.8GHz 8-Core AM4 Boxed Processor - Heatsink Not Included

Motherboard: (1) ASUS B550-PRO TUF GAMING AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard

RAM: (1) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit CMW32GX4M2E3200C16 - Black

Case: (1) Lian Li O11 Air Mini Tempered Glass ATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Black

Power Supply: (1) Corsair RM750 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply - White

Video Card: (1) ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti TUF Gaming Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card

Hard Drive: (1) Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Bulk

Heatsink: (1) Thermaltake UX100 ARGB Universal CPU Cooler

Thermal Compound: (1) Arctic Cooling 4g Thermal Compound

Operating System: (1) Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - 1pk DSP OEM DVD

Case Fans: (1) Kingwin Advance CF-014LB Long Life Bearing 140mm Case Fan

Case Fans: (4) Arctic Cooling P12 Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm Case Fan
Edited by ZOS_Exile on March 8, 2022 1:45PM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I see is an SSD (a large one) would be far better than a SATA. Except for a larger power supply and the SSD, that's virtually the machine I'm looking at getting by fall. This machine is 8 years old, and working just fine - but.... one has to accept that machines die....

I'm also going water-cooled fans this time around. And.... I'm moving to linux (distro not determined yet).
  • S0Z0H
    S0Z0H
    ✭✭✭
    Stick to stadia. Streaming definitely has a place in the future of gaming. And stadia isn't going anywhere , despite what people say. Google is a terribly ran company , their censorship is horrid, yes, but the tech they have via years of work with streaming tech ( YouTube ) speaks for itself. They have some good technology. And you won't have to worry about hardware and stupid huge file size updates. Jus sayin
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Only thing I see is an SSD (a large one) would be far better than a SATA. Except for a larger power supply and the SSD, that's virtually the machine I'm looking at getting by fall. This machine is 8 years old, and working just fine - but.... one has to accept that machines die....

I'm also going water-cooled fans this time around. And.... I'm moving to linux (distro not determined yet).

Was going to recommend an SSD in a bit larger cap too.
    If you can afford it I would go at least 2TB as most modern games install sizes are getting stupid huge.
    Depending on how many games you install, mods or no mods, save files, that 1TB will get eaten up quickly.

Optionally you could get a smaller SSD and use it just for the OS and non-game programs. Then get a dedicated SSD games drive.

Another option would be 2 SSDs in a RAID 0 array but then is the pricier option as you'll ideally buy the exact same SSD (brand, size, etc) twice. So 2 2TB SSDs

But, if budget is limited the nice thing is you can always upgrade to SSDs, larger sizes, etc later :smile:
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @Sylvermynx, an SSD is the only missing thing there... you can keep 1TB of sata3 for many things, but nowaday a good SSD for the OS and your most important games should be cheap, and really shouldn't be missing.

For the rest, the one you've imagined is an excellent machine which should last you many years.
    Edited by proprio.meb16_ESO on March 6, 2022 1:30AM
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @Sylvermynx, an SSD is the only missing thing there... you can keep 1TB of sata3 for many things, but nowaday a good SSD for the OS and your most important games should be cheap, and really shouldn't be missing.

For the rest, the one you've imagined is an excellent machine which should last you many years.

Exactly. Next computer will have several huge SSDs - my data storage is.... well, it's massive. SSDs aren't that pricey right now (well, that may depend on one's income and so on, but for me.... yeah, not really an issue....)

And believe me, having ESO on a fast SSD is the best thing you can do for a machine you use for the game no matter what else you do with said machine.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Add me to the SSD (ideally NVMe) list. Not necessarily relevant to ESO but some of the latest single player open world games simply can't run properly without one -- they depend on the loading speed to stream the world fast enough.

The most vivid example recently has been Cyberpunk, where until they patched it to the gills you were effectively playing a different game unless you were running off SSD, and you STILL have a less populated world with considerably more popin on HDD than SSD.
    Edited by Northwold on March 6, 2022 12:55PM
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your choices look good.

My personal preference in order would be:
    1. SSD instead of the HDD.
    2. AIO cooler instead of the CPU fan cooler.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd get a higher capacity and higher quality hard disk drive, like hitachi or toshiba, 2 terabytes or more. Nowadays games are easily over 100 GB, if you later decide to install several large games - then 1 TB of space (931 GB real size) will not be enough.
    While having SSD, i keep most of my games on HDD - majority of them do not noticeably benefit from SSD, including ESO.
    Also windows 11, it will be supported with updates for longer than win10. Playing on win11 since release, 0 problems so far.
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Primary hard drive (SSD) as large as possible.
    Secondary hard drive (SSD or SATA) as large as possible.

Programs onto the SSD data onto the SATA

The largest capacity you can afford.
    My computer is "old" and only has a 125gb SSD.
    Many programs only install onto c drive (no option to change to another) and so I am struggling with this now.

Get an external drive and some backup software and one way sync your documents - photos - videos etc to the external drive.
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to a actual computer shop and ask them for their advice and recommendations with your price range this is what they are there for don’t take to much advice of randoms on forums including me! This is your system and your money at the end of it

You will know if the shop is any good when they tell you to not pair a 105w cpu with a cpu cooler rated for 65w and considering your fan choice’s (guessing 2 120mm side and bottom intakes and 140mm top back exhaust) go tower cooler for the airflow in that case not a downdraught cooler you will end up complaining about cpu thermals

Budget in a m.2 drive 4.0 1tb for your primary boot drive, 1tb to take advantage of the windows feature that will be coming some day and m.2 4.0 for the speed increase and full advantage of the cpu and gpu in your choice

Asus motherboards tend to have 3 system fan headers not including cpu fan header so you would tend to split 3 fans per header for the amp draw check you fans rating and location in the case, ie 1 fan header for fans in front location of case

Your psu is fine but just check how many pcie 8-6+2 pin cables come with it, it will most likely only be 2 cables with the psu, your gpu choice take 3 cables buy another 8-6+2 cable for that psu seriously don’t power any 3000 series card of splitters or daisy chain Corsair is a brand name doesn’t mean their psu are good or bad with power spikes

Edit
    Okay I’m going to stand corrected (corrected by myself) that gpu is a 2x8pin card not 3x8 pin but still don’t daisy chain the power, even I didn’t look at all your item choices fully and this is why I say go to a computer shop for their advice and recommendations
    Edited by macsmooth on March 7, 2022 9:24AM
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    macsmooth wrote: »
    Go to a actual computer shop and ask them for their advice and recommendations with your price range this is what they are there for don’t take to much advice of randoms on forums including me! This is your system and your money at the end of it

You will know if the shop is any good when they tell you to not pair a 105w cpu with a cpu cooler rated for 65w and considering your fan choice’s (guessing 2 120mm side and bottom intakes and 140mm top back exhaust) go tower cooler for the airflow in that case not a downdraught cooler you will end up complaining about cpu thermals

Budget in a m.2 drive 4.0 1tb for your primary boot drive, 1tb to take advantage of the windows feature that will be coming some day and m.2 4.0 for the speed increase and full advantage of the cpu and gpu in your choice

Asus motherboards tend to have 3 system fan headers not including cpu fan header so you would tend to split 3 fans per header for the amp draw check you fans rating and location in the case, ie 1 fan header for fans in front location of case

Your psu is fine but just check how many pcie 8-6+2 pin cables come with it, it will most likely only be 2 cables with the psu, your gpu choice take 3 cables buy another 8-6+2 cable for that psu seriously don’t power any 3000 series card of splitters or daisy chain Corsair is a brand name doesn’t mean their psu are good or bad with power spikes

Edit
    Okay I’m going to stand corrected (corrected by myself) that gpu is a 2x8pin card not 3x8 pin but still don’t daisy chain the power, even I didn’t look at all your item choices fully and this is why I say go to a computer shop for their advice and recommendations

Depends really, most computer store chains atleast in my experience don't have a clue themselves and would sell you any nonsense to make a sale. Best bet if he really wanted solid advice is the pcpartpicker forums. Overall though the feedback here is enough anyways.
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    macsmooth wrote: »

Edit

Depends really, most computer store chains atleast in my experience don't have a clue themselves and would sell you any nonsense to make a sale. Best bet if he really wanted solid advice is the pcpartpicker forums. Overall though the feedback here is enough anyways.

It does depend on the shop, I would always recommend an actual computer shop yes they will try and push their stuff but they can check the item list for compatibility better than a chain store ie curry’s micro centre depending on the side of the pond

Pc forums would be the better choice to go ask this question I agree, the issue with game forums is people tend to think that one game and that game only. Pc hardware should always be based on everything a pc can do and the ability to play all games decently not focussed on one game only and should never be only about one item in the build ie hard drive when he will suffer from temperature issues with the chosen cooler in the list
  • DonHardstyle
    DonHardstyle
    ✭✭✭
    The parts you selected seem to be working with each other. I wonder why you are going dor an 3.5" HDD tho ?

Like slot of others already said here. It's great for bulk storage. But not so much for gaming anymore. I would suggest to get an smaller m.2 SSD with 250-500gb to use as boot drive, only install windows on it. Then an bigger m.2 (1tb+) or 2.5" ssd for gaming.
  • SkorosMindkiller
    SkorosMindkiller
    ✭✭✭
    Use spinning rust only for things that don't require fast access. So, your media collection and backups. That's it. Like someone else said, put an m.2 drive in (NVME if you can afford it). You can also put in some spinning rust and put your music/video collection on it, old games you don't play much anymore but might want to go back to without downloading them again, and set up Windows backup to back up your main drive to it.

Make sure you put the NVME drive in the faster slot next to the video card slot, the lower one is half the speed. Or you can put a smaller fast one in that slot and a bigger slower one in the other slot (though, a 1TB Samsung 980 pro pci 4 x4 is only $150.)
    Edited by SkorosMindkiller on March 8, 2022 3:28AM
  • Kessra
    Kessra
    ✭✭✭
    I can feel you. My main computer just died recently due to an electric overvoltage caused by my neihgbour fidling around with the power distribution. That overvoltage lead to a condensator blowing up that made the mainboard and the CPU (I9-7980xe ...) unusable. The bad thing in my case was, that happend litterally 4 days past the extended warranty and neither my nor my neighbors insurance is willing to pay for the damage caused as I have no prove that my neighbors actions lead to the outcome ... Whether further components are affected I can't tell at the moment as I'm waiting on the replacement to arrive ...

At least I have a UPS in front of my old computer now that should prevent overvoltages from affecting my computer(s) from now on. Lesson learned ...
    Edited by Kessra on March 8, 2022 10:59AM
  • ZOS_Exile
    ZOS_Exile
    admin
    Hello,

We are moving this discussion to "Players Helping Players" as this topic is more relevant there.

Thank you
    ZOS_Exile
    Staff Post