The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there a quick way to level excavation on an alt?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I reached level 5 but need to get to level 7 for the glowy treasure chests. Is there a quick way to do this on an alt? Because I no longer get a purple lead in each zone.

Any advice is appreciated.
PCNA
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have any you can do the scrying of higher level leads on your main and then switch to your alt for the excavating (and exp). Also, if you haven't yet done it: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Blackwood_Tapestry
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have got all 10 of my chars to lvl 9 for the full glowy chests.

If you want to do it quickly, my advice is to just farm it on Artaeum. It's a small map, there are no monsters to slow you down and you can earn some nice cash while doing it. I suggest having some good music or listening to a good podcast while doing tho, to beat some of the boredom/repetitiveness.

Below is a post I made last year with some info. Good Luck!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/584669/whats-your-numbers-antiquities#latest

Edited by Paulytnz on February 26, 2022 9:06AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once you get to 5 on Excavation, you can realistically dig up gold leads, not just purple ones.

And the gold lead for the Void Crystal Anomaly usually comes very quickly when you pick flowers in The Hollow City.
  • Hvíthákarl
    Hvíthákarl
    ✭✭✭
    Coldharbour purple and yellow's motif drop rate is pretty quick, I leveled my (now main) alt's scrying by just picking mats and killing some random mobs that prevented me from doing so :D
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just looking at the guide that I use... and there are several guides on the internet.

"Level 5-7 Grind
    Here is where it gets a bit more interesting, the concept is the same, but now we are going through ALL the zones in The Elder Scrolls Online. We will once again start with Artaeum.
    • Complete the green lead, obtain a blue lead from the reward, complete the blue lead, obtain a purple lead from the reward, complete the purple lead. That way you gain 9 experience points (1 from green, 3 from blue, 5 from purple).
    • Both the blue lead and purple lead will disappear once you have completed them.
    Now we have the problem that we can’t repeat this process, because the purple lead won’t come back! Only the green lead and the blue lead can be farmed like this.
    Solution: Repeat the process in ALL ZONES. So we can do the green lead, blue lead, purple lead and move onto the next zone. That is possible because remember, we get a green lead in each zone as a “freebie”.
    That should get you to level 7 for both scrying and excavation. Now you can technically already use gold leads, to get the different parts needed for a Mythic Item."

"Level 7-10
    To make the last jump to level 10 we will already focus on getting gold leads (or any other lead). That way you can already be productive while you are grinding it up.
    The best ways to farm leads:
    • Treasure Chests
    • World Bosses
    • Psijic Rifts
    • Public Dungeons (Bosses & Treasure Chests)
    • Thieves Troves
    • Random Monsters"

Hope that helps.
    Edited by ADarklore on February 26, 2022 2:04PM
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I was just looking at the guide that I use... and there are several guides on the internet.

"Level 5-7 Grind
    Here is where it gets a bit more interesting, the concept is the same, but now we are going through ALL the zones in The Elder Scrolls Online. We will once again start with Artaeum.
    • Complete the green lead, obtain a blue lead from the reward, complete the blue lead, obtain a purple lead from the reward, complete the purple lead. That way you gain 9 experience points (1 from green, 3 from blue, 5 from purple).
    • Both the blue lead and purple lead will disappear once you have completed them.
    Now we have the problem that we can’t repeat this process, because the purple lead won’t come back! Only the green lead and the blue lead can be farmed like this.
    Solution: Repeat the process in ALL ZONES. So we can do the green lead, blue lead, purple lead and move onto the next zone. That is possible because remember, we get a green lead in each zone as a “freebie”.
    That should get you to level 7 for both scrying and excavation. Now you can technically already use gold leads, to get the different parts needed for a Mythic Item."

"Level 7-10
    To make the last jump to level 10 we will already focus on getting gold leads (or any other lead). That way you can already be productive while you are grinding it up.
    • Treasure Chests
    • World Bosses
    • Psijic Rifts
    • Thieves Troves
    • Random Monsters"

Hope that helps.

This guide is only good for the first character on your account. Alternate characters no longer get the automatic purple leads after the green and blue leads in each zone. So, as been mentioned, the fastest way I've found is to get to Lv 5 in Artaeum and then pursue the purple and gold leads you get from farming resources in Coldharbour.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flower picking in Coldharbour isn't the only way to get the Void Crystal leads - I've had them show up from every type of node, and the occasional mob kill as well, but not in chests. I did get a lead for one of the mythics out of a chest, and did scry/dig it, though I don't bother with trying to get all the mythic pieces for anything.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    If you have any you can do the scrying of higher level leads on your main and then switch to your alt for the excavating (and exp). Also, if you haven't yet done it: https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Blackwood_Tapestry

Oh I had forgotten about that! I will work on that today. Thank you.

Once you get to 5 on Excavation, you can realistically dig up gold leads, not just purple ones.

And the gold lead for the Void Crystal Anomaly usually comes very quickly when you pick flowers in The Hollow City.

I can't scry these yet, but I can excavate them if another character scrys them first? I will test this today, too. Thank you.
    PCNA
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there's a massive difference in leveling speed between Green-Blue vs Green-Blue-Purple leads. Green and Blue are 1 and 3 experience, average 2 per lead, while the Purple cycle gives 1-3-5 to average 3 per lead. However the extra traveling, scrying time and digging makes the Purple grind slower per lead. You're probably best just doing the Artaeum grind.
  • RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done green, blue, and purple for each zone, including DLC zones, and I've gotten to level 8. The best thing you can do is grab the non zone specific purple leads, and then eventually gold leads until you make it up to level 10.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done green, blue, and purple for each zone, including DLC zones, and I've gotten to level 8. The best thing you can do is grab the non zone specific purple leads, and then eventually gold leads until you make it up to level 10.

I can't do the green, blue and purple leads for each zone because I already did them on another character, and the purple leads from this are one time only. All I get now is green and blue.

Where do we get non zone specific purple leads?
    PCNA
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All base game Treasure Maps have a chance to drop Motif leads from which the resulting motif page is tradeable!

Those maps can be found pretty cheaply at traders and whilst traveling to the chest site pick up all nodes etc you see they can often have leads too and obviously loot normal chests as they can have leads in them <3

EDIT:- If you use addons may I suggest "Display Leads" addon as it has loads of info about where which leads drop :)
    Edited by freespirit on February 26, 2022 8:43PM
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for all the great information. This should help a lot!
    PCNA
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For me I could no longer scry for gold leads at level 5. You could do earlier and leveled most alts to 9 with Void Crystal Anomaly, later could not, now you could have an level 9 scry and the level 5 excavate but this require lots of reloging.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LannStone wrote: »
    ADarklore wrote: »

"Level 5-7 Grind

"Level 7-10
    • Treasure Chests
    • World Bosses
    • Psijic Rifts
    • Thieves Troves
    • Random Monsters"

Hope that helps.

This guide is only good for the first character on your account. Alternate characters no longer get the automatic purple leads after the green and blue leads in each zone. So, as been mentioned, the fastest way I've found is to get to Lv 5 in Artaeum and then pursue the purple and gold leads you get from farming resources in Coldharbour.

Argh... I forgot about that! I now recall having the same problem on another character and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any purple anymore. I just went back and updated my guide to note this problem for a future alt!! Thank you!!
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • runa_gate
    runa_gate
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten all 18 of my characters to 9 for "glowy chests" (Keen Eye for Treasure Maps level 2) and I can assure you, once you run out of purple leads in all the zones the only semi-efficient way to grind it is to go to Artaeum
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to Blackwood and checked 2 of the places where the tapestry scraps are located but they weren't there for me. I didn't think this was a one time only thing but it looks like it may be.
    PCNA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I can't do the green, blue and purple leads for each zone because I already did them on another character, and the purple leads from this are one time only. All I get now is green and blue.

Where do we get non zone specific purple leads?

You should be able to go back and do the green freebie leads in each zone and that will give you a new blue freebie lead.

I have done this on one alt to get her leveled up enough to go dig up purple lancer leads and slowly working on another alt.

EDIT: typo
    Edited by katanagirl1 on February 27, 2022 5:11AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grinding Arteum until you can do purple leads then use that alt to do any and all purple and blue leads you get while playing the game.

This is not necessarily faster, but it is the sanest way I have found so far since the standard purple leads for each zone would have been burned up leveling this on the first character. I have done two alts this way.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend trying to get sixth house ritual tables or seat of the snow prince leads. Those seam to have a pretty high drop rate and are purple quality.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You farm Arteum until you can do purple leads, then you do the free purple lead in every zone. Doing so gets you to level 8 or 9 plus you get a 100k gold lead for free.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runa_gate wrote: »
    I've gotten all 18 of my characters to 9 for "glowy chests" (Keen Eye for Treasure Maps level 2) and I can assure you, once you run out of purple leads in all the zones the only semi-efficient way to grind it is to go to Artaeum

I honestly didn't find level 2 worth it, so I only got my alts to 7. This is most useful in dungeons and dark places where you are close enough for level 1.

@SilverBride as others have said, the Void Crystal Anomaly is very fast, and the purple lead in Coldharbour also drops a lot.

What I did was farm chests and treasure maps in zones that dropped the motif leads (which can be green, blue or purple) and/or had a purple furnishing, like the Tall Papa's Lamp in Bangkorai, the Sixth House Table in Vvardenfell, the little Fox statue in The Rift, etc.

Then, once I had 5 leads that my alt couldn't scry yet in different zones, I'd hop on my main, scry all 5 (you can have 5 leads scried at a time) and then would hop on my alt to excavate them all.

I wasn't in a big rush to do this, but all my alts are level 7 now.
    The Moot Councillor
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You farm Arteum until you can do purple leads, then you do the free purple lead in every zone. Doing so gets you to level 8 or 9 plus you get a 100k gold lead for free.

As others have said, and I forgot, you can ONLY do the free purple leads on ONE character- after that- no other character will receive a free purple zone lead; they are 'per account' not 'per character'. So if you've already used all the free purple leads in each zone and want to level Antiquities on an alt character, you don't have access to the free purple anymore.
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if the RNG goddess was watching me, but on Friday I did 3 delves in Cyrodil for the first time and got two purple and one gold lead from the bosses.
  • The_Boggart
    The_Boggart
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame that the glowing chest doesn't go for treasure maps as well