The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

High CPU usage ~100%

cepheus74
cepheus74
✭✭
Hi all,

I am having high CPU usage whilst playing ESO, this is my system spec:

i7-9700k @4.7
32GM ram 3200 CL16
MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK (MS-7B18)
RTX 2080
850 Gold PSU

I have tried to disable all my add-ons and reduce into eye candy, I am wondering if I should upgrade to the i9-9700k or a complete new system, budget is really not an issue, I just want to ensure its worth it. GPU usage remains well under 75% usage.

I PvP a lot and notice my CPU stay at 100%.

Thanks for reading.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on April 6, 2022 12:16AM
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cap the frame rate.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/584759/frame-rate-cap-adjustment-how-to-limit-your-fps-from-being-too-high-updated

chances are it's higher than needed because ESO as of U31 defaults to 100fps which for most of us is a bit excessive.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I initially had to cap the game's CPU usage explicitly because it tried to go over 100%.

Correction, on my old computer I had to cap my entire CPU's maximum processor state because only ESO tried to take it over 100% (somehow).
    Edited by Fennwitty on February 13, 2022 3:42PM
    PC NA
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having this same issue. Capping FPS didn't help.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Having this issue too, along with others that feel like a memory leak in the client. Restarting helps- for about an hour. Then it all goes wahoonie shaped after any longer than that. I wasn't having these issues before :/
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • cepheus74
    cepheus74
    ✭✭
    Sorry I did forgot to say, my Monitor is 144, so I changed to allow for that

Even with the FPS capped before that the CPU did get a good kicking.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try turning off "Multithreaded Rendering" in the video settings, when it was first introduced (turned on by default) it cranked up my CPU from its normal 60c to 70c without any improvements in-game, my fans also went nutz.
  • cepheus74
    cepheus74
    ✭✭
    Try turning off "Multithreaded Rendering" in the video settings, when it was first introduced (turned on by default) it cranked up my CPU from its normal 60c to 70c without any improvements in-game, my fans also went nutz.

Heat is not an issue for me, my gpu/cpu stays well below 60c.

I am looking for any guidance if its worth upgrading my CPU or system, or not even bothering, thanks.
  • Monroe585
    Monroe585
    ✭✭✭
    Same. 100% cpu usage.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. 8 year old PC.... CPU usage when game is running < 40%. Multithread on, temp < 60c. That's also with email and several browser tabs open, as well as my excel spreadsheets open.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is multithread good or nah
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is multithread good or nah

It depends on your machine - and in my case, not "super duper high speed broadband". Because the satellite lag seems to mitigate other issues. Since I don't have "real broadband" (and probably never will - NO ONE is running real broadband into a tiny town in southern Utah - not even the federal gov't), what I have is something that doesn't seem to have the lag issues others do - probably because I've been compensating for sat lag since 1997.
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also having the same issue. Just standing in Mournhold gives me around 85% of CPU usage while <50% GPU usage.

i7 9700k @ 4.9GHz
    RTX 2070 OC'd
    16GB DDR4 3200MHz

Also copied the UserSettings.txt file from a friend of mine who has a way older setup but has only 15-30% of CPU usage on ESO, I still have 85%.

Closed every window except for Spotify and Discord which collectively use less than 10%.

Tried the repair option which looks like it helped with some micro-stutters but the CPU is still high.
    110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
    Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
  • isoJs
    isoJs
    ✭✭
    Do you close the launcher after you hit play?
    Since 2015
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine goes quite high too, I checked last night after seeing this subject post.

Around 90%, I'm going to turn it off to see what it's like (CPU Multithreading)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We recommend to try some of the troubleshooting found in the thread linked below.

ESO is bogging down my CPU at 33% use I cannot enter text
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @ZOS_BillE, I think the GPU hardware scheduling helped me.

What I also did was go to Task Manager > Details > eso64 and then set the priority to max and the affinity to 4 (I forced eso to use only 4 out of my 8 physical cores). Now I'm having stable FPS with only one microstutter within the last 15 minutes.

47ynm8fykl15.png
    kqxswb1hfg9z.png
    qz38fa5wfspc.png

But even with this my roommate with an older and less powerful CPU than a 9700k has 1/2 or 1/3rd of the CPU usage I have on the same UserSettings.txt. I can't check what is his CPU now as he's asleep so I can add additional info later.

Currently ESO is using between 40% to 60% of my CPU (for him it's around 25% MAX).

i7ssj1wp54ey.png
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Creating a new comment rather than editing previous to bump up the thread:

My roommate uses the: AMD FX-8300, base speed and everything.

And with the 'fixes' I've listed in the previous comment the issue isn't fixed, it's just not as bad as the CPU is not hitting 100% all of the time.

I can't have YouTube or a Discord stream open because the game can easily go to 70% CPU usage and from 75 FPS I go down to 20-8.

And if I start using nvidia surround for my 3x1080p monitors, I feel like I'm playing on an integrated GPU...
    Edited by Zastrix on February 17, 2022 6:34PM
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same, I really don't understand much about all this but I am worried about the noise my cpu makes while playing ESO. It's at 100% with my i5-7500 3.40GHz.
    I capped at 75FPS and still same issue.
    Is there any way to ease the usage? I feel like my CPU is going to explode and can't really afford one now lol.

EDIT:

DUDE THIS IS IT, Fixed, thank you so much, now I am at 70% tops. <3
    Edited by Loves_guars on April 5, 2022 1:47PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Since this thread is now a few months old we've decided to close it from further commentary. If you are running into similiar performance issues, please go ahead and start a new thread in the PC Support forum for assistance.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.