The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Does oblivion damage works for pve?

MorkovkaUltimate
Hey!
I know that original idea behind Oblivion damage was in "clear" or "guaranteed" damage which can't be resisted or shielded.
But it was a period of complaints about it in pvp and further nerfs.

It led to the some limit of how strong it can be based on the target's health which made it less important in pvp since you need to do X number of hits with oblivion damage to take 100% health and it is pretty high number.

But such limitation approach (max. target health %) opens a new opportunity to use it in pve against high health targets (bosses), that's what we see in many other games. If skill/set says that damage will be as % of health of the target, that means take it immediately to boss fights.
However, I don't see any talks or even crazy builds mentioning oblivion damage in pve (e.g. through glyphs or sets)

So, I wounder, why is that? Does it work in pve at all? If so, then why nobody uses it? Is the % is so small that even simple fire glyph will work better even if target has 100mln health?
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The reason is simple, the maxium possable damage it can do per enchantment proc is infact capped (at 5K I think) rendering it less than....ideal for PvE situtations
  • MorkovkaUltimate
    That is by the way quite a high number by itself, like fire and electric glyphs give you around 2K damage, so, 5K should more than twice higher which is still good, what overweights in fire/poison/electric enchants?
    Btw, thank you foe the anwser ;)
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fire and poison enchants can proc burning or poisoned, which is by itself a considerable amount of damage. Oblivion damage does not have any status effect component and cannot crit.
    Edited by robpr on November 25, 2021 10:41PM
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    robpr wrote: »
    . Oblivion damage does not have any status effect component and cannot crit.
    So why is it still in the game? (And i realize that question is probably something i should ask Zenimax lol )

Is is merely for LORE purposes or whatever?

• Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    robpr wrote: »
    . Oblivion damage does not have any status effect component and cannot crit.
    So why is it still in the game? (And i realize that question is probably something i should ask Zenimax lol )

Is is merely for LORE purposes or whatever?

If that were true we'd have the prismatic enchantment be unchanged. No, it's there as a PvP counter to high HP tank builds. Funny enough that cap to damage made it a bit mediocre at that. More about insane levels of penetration and pressure when killing tanks than stacking Oblivion damage. Closest lore thing I could find being equivalent to Oblivion damage is a damage health spell, but we do have those already in the form of the Minor Mangle debuff removing 10% of a target's max health.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    If that were true we'd have the prismatic enchantment be unchanged. No, it's there as a PvP counter to high HP tank builds. Funny enough that cap to damage made it a bit mediocre at that. More about insane levels of penetration and pressure when killing tanks than stacking Oblivion damage. Closest lore thing I could find being equivalent to Oblivion damage is a damage health spell, but we do have those already in the form of the Minor Mangle debuff removing 10% of a target's max health.
    ahhh ok , so it's a very limited function & circumstance

Thanks for the reply btw , even after all these years there's still so many little subtle aspects to this game i have yet to truly explore!

• Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    I put the Truly Superb Glyph of Decrease Health on a sword and it does half the damage of my maul.

But I love the idea of 'unresistable damage'

Question:

If I use Heartland Conqueror 5 piece (increase the effectiveness of Weapon Traits by 100%) and sword with Infused and Truly Superb Glyph of Decrease Health enchant - will that double my Oblivion Damage?

Or am I misunderstanding this?

Tanks!

Z
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    If I use Heartland Conqueror 5 piece (increase the effectiveness of Weapon Traits by 100%) and sword with Infused and Truly Superb Glyph of Decrease Health enchant - will that double my Oblivion Damage?

Nope... I was wrong, it still at 4875 even with Heartland Conqueror, Infused.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on November 26, 2021 11:15PM
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭

CRAP!!! Would have been nice to have a little more damage that is 'unresistable'.
    And thanks for trying!

I thought that was the purpose of the set? Is this a bug? I know it said that Ornate or Intricate traits are not affected.

Thoughts?
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply btw , even after all these years there's still so many little subtle aspects to this game i have yet to truly explore!

No worries, it used to be the meta after Summerset's release, but when ZOS nerfed Sload's Semblance they added the cap and Oblivion damage has never been the same. Some have been able to pull off builds using it, but it's overshadowed.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭

No worries, it used to be the meta after Summerset's release, but when ZOS nerfed Sload's Semblance they added the cap and Oblivion damage has never been the same. Some have been able to pull off builds using it, but it's overshadowed.

sadness...Oblivion Damage is such a lovely thing - love the idea of it
  • AinSoph
    AinSoph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

CRAP!!! Would have been nice to have a little more damage that is 'unresistable'.
    And thanks for trying!

I thought that was the purpose of the set? Is this a bug? I know it said that Ornate or Intricate traits are not affected.

Thoughts?

Traits and enchantments are 2 different things.