The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do players call me 'healer' when my NAME is....

NeeScrolls
NeeScrolls
✭✭✭✭
Question for ESO peeps: Why tha [snip] do random players/groups always call me "healer" when clearly my NAME is NEE ?

"Healer do this!"
"Healer go there!"
"Healer why u let me die when i try aggro 68 enemies at once pulling b4 tank does ready-check?!?!?!"

Does this ever happen to anyone else? cuz i mean, i rarely if ever see the same type of treatment toward DPS or tanks. And it's like somewhat condescending and dismissive, no?

Then again, i come from SWG & SWTOR, so perhaps i'm just not in-tune with the cool kids ESO lingo. B) (even though i've been here subbed since beta lol )

[Edited for Censor Bypass]
Edited by ZOS_Chiroptera on November 7, 2021 4:42PM

Best Answers

• spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes in combat people can get hyped up and tunnel visioned on what they are doing, and thus don't take the time to read the group interface.
    Answer ✓
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh. Yeah I always do that. 😅

Usually it's, "dps, you need to rez" "Hit adds dps". 🤣

It's easier than checking for a name and I wouldn't want to offend by getting names spelt wrong while rush typing.

So it becomes habit.
    Answer ✓
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    *double-post accident*
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 6, 2021 8:37PM
    Answer ✓
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because you're the healer. Simple as that. This has nothing to do with cool kids stuff and it's not dismissive. Same reason why you are calling the waiter in a restaurant "waiter" and your surgeon "doctor", although both might have a name tag on their chest.

Some people don't see the character names, some people don't see the @-names, some people don't see the names at all unless they open the group window. And even if you can see the names on your screen, it is faster and clearer for everybody if you address them by the role instead of typing out all the Lllegoooolass and xxxD4rk-Ev1l_0201xxx.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Onyx_Werewolf_Gnome
    Onyx_Werewolf_Gnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a definite microaggression, report them
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Sometimes in combat people can get hyped up and tunnel visioned on what they are doing, and thus don't take the time to read the group interface.
    ahh ok , yeah i guess that makes sense ( even though it never happens to me in PVP groups , /shrug )
    Indigogo wrote: »
    Oh. Yeah I always do that.

It's easier than checking for a name and I wouldn't want to offend by getting names spelt wrong while rush typing.

So it becomes habit.
    gotcha , a habit ok i can see that yep . And i never thought about the "mis-spell /offend" aspect. Fair point. (although it's pretty easy to spell 'Nee' ;) )
    thorwyn wrote: »
    Because you're the healer. Simple as that.

Some people don't see the character names, some people don't see the @-names, some people don't see the names at all unless they open the group window. And even if you can see the names on your screen, it is faster and clearer for everybody if you address them by the role.
    That makes sense too i suppose. For me though, i always just use the actual player name. But again, i'm probably not the typical gamer since i only come from SWG & SWTOR (with ESO as my 'side MMO' ) not from WoW or whatever is more popular. Anyways, i can totally see your point now yep.
    It's a definite microaggression, report them
    hardee har har! You silly forum-poster you. >:)
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 6, 2021 7:07AM
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tanked a few dungeons yesterday too and nobody remembered my name too.

It's Sgt Effervescence Low. Tank you pugs.
    Edited by oddbasket on November 6, 2021 7:17AM
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I might take offense if they were being rude or trying to tell me how to do my job, but otherwise I don’t mind being called “healer” or “tank.” It’s a lot easier than names, especially since some people have long names or oddly-spelled names and I’d have to squint at the group names list instead of just noting their position in the fight or the skills they’re using.

I don’t really expect folks in a pick-up dungeon group (that dps is probably speedrunning) to pay much attention to my name.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    oddbasket wrote: »
    I tanked a few dungeons yesterday too and nobody remembered my name too.

It's Sgt Effervescence Low. Tank you pugs.
    lol nice
    I might take offense if they were being rude or trying to tell me how to do my job, but otherwise I don’t mind being called “healer” or “tank.”

I don’t really expect folks in a pick-up dungeon group (that dps is probably speedrunning) to pay much attention to my name.
    Yeah typically it's aligned with the whole telling-me-how-to-do-my-job thing, so maybe that's why i found it sorta "offensive" (emphasis on the quotes, since it's just like VIDEO-GAME vanilla offended, not exactly like i'm gonna go quit the game!!!!! offended )

But anyways, thanks for all the replies so far gang . Definitely helps shed some light on different perspectives.
  • RazielSR
    RazielSR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you say "cuz".

Maybe you are cool too?😅
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RazielSR wrote: »
    Why do you say "cuz".

Maybe you are cool too?😅

Ohhhh, I say that too! Yes! I'm hip! I'm with it.

How's it going fellow youths.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    RazielSR wrote: »
    Why do you say "cuz".

Maybe you are cool too?😅
    cuz i feel like it. And thanks, i am!
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Ohhhh, I say that too! Yes! I'm hip! I'm with it.

How's it going fellow youths.
    lol i don't see trolls much on ESO forums, but u guys certainly are clever!

./popcorn

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 7, 2021 4:41AM
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do that even with people I know. It's not a big deal.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do that even with people I know.
    lol well i don't. So yeah, To Each His Own, np.
    It's not a big deal.
    Agreed. It's more like an 'i feel like making a forum thread asking community about it while i re-apply champion points Zenimax reset from the hotfix' type deal. :p
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 6, 2021 8:35AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do that as well sometimes, I play with controller on PC so I have to put down the controller to type on the keyboard, and it's faster to just say 'healer, etc.' than look at the name and then type it in.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, i give up role playing when i saw dudes with nicks like "Yes I am touching myself".

So healer is just simpler xd
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I play with controller on PC so I have to put down the controller to type on the keyboard, and it's faster to just say 'healer, etc.' than look at the name and then type it in.
    Ahhh gosh yeah i totally forgot about the whole 'console' buttons-to-type aspect. Great point and i totally understand, np
    Ippokrates wrote: »
    Well, i give up role playing when i saw dudes with nicks like "Yes I am touching myself".

ROFL , totally get it yep

And seriously, this thread has not only passed the time while resetting multiple character's CP's , but it really has answered my OP with new perspectives. Much appreciated!
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »

Lowkey that's another real good reason.

Sometimes my group mates will be like Jim (tank) Bubbles (healer) Fart-a-Tron(dps)

And I can't very well call the tank Jim and then be like "hey, dps" 😅
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 6, 2021 9:42AM
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess it's just whatever is easier for them.

I haven't experienced it in a group, but I've had people send me tells addressing me as both my character name and my @name. And, I answered in kind to either.

It's kind of funny, and I'm like, "Huh, you talkin' to me?" LOL.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Say you got a name 😛
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are calling you by the role you picked when you queued up. In your case, that's healer. In my case, they call me "Tank."

After all, when the red-phase centurion starts following them and they wonder why I haven't taunted it off them yet, it's a lot easier to yell "Tank??!!!" than "Varanis Arano??!!!" in text chat.

Same thing was true with my PVP raid, by the way. If the raid leader wanted to talk to me, it was "Varanis." If they were talking to all of the healers in the group, it was "Healers." I imagine that's true of most organized PVP guilds. Calling people by their role isn't just a PVE thing.

Some feedback is reasonable. It's a good idea to listen to explanations of mechanics. Other feedback, like players complaining that I haven't taunted an untauntable red-phase centurion, is ignorable. You'll have to use your best judgment about where you can improve and where you're doing fine.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »
    Some people don't see the character names, some people don't see the @-names, some people don't see the names at all unless they open the group window. .

^^^ quoted for truth
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • PullaStormy
    PullaStormy
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind getting called "tank" at all, that's the role I play so it makes sense. Why would you even get offended, it's literally just the role you're assigned when in a dungeon - be it any of the three. Don't expect anything from PUGs, you'll be disappointed anyway.
    PC-EU - Roleplayer, Quester, Crafter, Furnisher - Fashion Scrolls - 1400+ CP
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's different view options for names, at least on PC with addons. You can see @name only, character name only, @name/charactername etc.

But then on the little group menu at top left names are often cut off.

I'm called 'tank' or 'healer' too with PUGs. Only with recurrent groups does anyone learn a name -- and then usually @name because you might run different characters.
    Edited by Fennwitty on November 6, 2021 4:47PM
    PC NA
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    DP99 wrote: »
    I guess it's just whatever is easier for them.
    Yep i hear ya and i def. get it more now after all the replies in this thread.
    Say you got a name
    i had thought that was obvious lol
    Same thing was true with my PVP raid, by the way. If the raid leader wanted to talk to me, it was "Varanis."

If they were talking to all of the healers in the group, it was "Healers." I imagine that's true of most organized PVP guilds.
    Like i mentioned earlier, what's strange (at least for me) is that it NEVER happens to me in PVP (well, i should amend: never in Cyrodiil ...but actually it does sometimes happen in a 'Battleground'. But never in Cyrodiil. Everyone always just calls me 'Nee' there. /shrug )
    Some feedback is reasonable. It's a good idea to listen to explanations of mechanics.
    Yep, i always do.
    You'll have to use your best judgment about where you can improve and where you're doing fine.
    As healer, i'm simple: If no one in group dies, i'm happy. B) (that was a joke plz don't flame @ me "you need L2P mister!!!!!!!" lol )
    Why would you even get offended, it's literally just the role you're assigned when in a dungeon - be it any of the three.
    As i sorta explained earlier: i would more so say i was perplexed than like drastically "offended" or whatever. Although i realize now that my OP does make it seem like i was really "offended" or "but-hurt" lol

But honestly it really was a question i was earnestly curious about....and most of the replies in here so far have actually been super helpful perspectives that might not have necessarily occurred to me initially.

Don't expect anything from PUGs, you'll be disappointed anyway.
    heh , even after 8 years of ESO (and the SWG/SWTOR years too) , i still haven't lost all my hope yet for random gamer humanity :) .
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    There's different view options for names, at least on PC with addons.
    ahhhh ok see now that's a great point because i wasn't ever aware of that ^ , since i never even use 'add-ons'. ( shocking, i know)
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 6, 2021 5:15PM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like when you go to the hospital:

'Excuse me, Nurse?'
    'Excuse me, Doctor?'
    'Excuse me, Janitor?'

Next time they say 'healer', just reply 'My name is Jean-Luc Freyard, 'Capitaine' of the Wayrest guard and you shall call me by my title, peasaaant!' *jokes*

• Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Playing a healer in a 4-man content was your first mistake.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Youyouz06 wrote: »
    'Excuse me, Nurse?'
    'Excuse me, Doctor?'
    'Excuse me, Janitor?'
    heh , well these pug-players are never so polite to use "excuse me" and tbqh i actually never address people by their title that ^ way (initially) . Heck, i still use the proper 'sir' and 'ma'am' and 'Mister/Miss' good manners, but i guess in 2021 Earth society this is now considered antiquated and umm "offensive" (which i still find baffling, but let's stay on-topic) .

Obviously, if it's a Doctor or Senator or Judge or whatever that's different. So i hear ya. And, as i've been replying, this thread has certainly enlightened me on why the calling by 'healer' thing makes total sense to so many players.

Facefister wrote: »
    LOL it's still fun , but yeah of course i have a few other ALT toons for more competitive needs & situations B)
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 6, 2021 6:49PM
  • mbeetley_ESO
    mbeetley_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility that they don't want to be confused with the Knights who say 'Nee'! :smile:
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility that they don't want to be confused with the Knights who say 'Nee'!
    HA! If only i had a nickel (or gold) for everytime i've heard that since i started MMO gaming in SWG wayyy back when as a lil' munchkin, i'd be a rich man. (And also might have enough to make successful 'public trader' bid in ESO :/ )
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 6, 2021 7:31PM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    Youyouz06 wrote: »
    'Excuse me, Nurse?'
    'Excuse me, Doctor?'
    'Excuse me, Janitor?'
    heh , well these pug-players are never so polite to use "excuse me" and tbqh i actually never address people by their title that ^ way (initially) . Heck, i still use the proper 'sir' and 'ma'am' and 'Mister/Miss' good manners, but i guess in 2021 Earth society this is now considered antiquated and umm "offensive" (which i still find baffling, but let's stay on-topic) .

Obviously, if it's a Doctor or Senator or Judge or whatever that's different. So i hear ya. And, as i've been replying, this thread has certainly enlightened me on why the calling by 'healer' thing makes total sense to so many players.

Facefister wrote: »
    LOL it's still fun , but yeah of course i have a few other ALT toons for more competitive needs & situations B)

Don't worry about it! Being polite and well mannered is of course beneficial. You'd be surprised the amount of people that take classes later on in life because they lack social etiquette for work :) Best to start early!
This discussion has been closed.