The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do players call me 'healer' when my NAME is....

• PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My name has 10 untypable letters in it and I wont listen to anyone who doesn't use them all in chat.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Youyouz06 wrote: »
    Don't worry about it! Being polite and well mannered is of course beneficial. You'd be surprised the amount of people that take classes later on in life because they lack social etiquette for work , Best to start early!

heh, indeed ... Although, it would seem nowadays the terms "social" and "etiquette" are slowly being re-defined by a certain segment/agenda. But i digress...
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    My name has 10 untypable letters in it and I wont listen to anyone who doesn't use them all in chat.
    duh-dum-cha!

And on that note, i'd say this thread has more than fulfilled it's original purpose by now. THANKS again to most of you for your very interesting & very appreciated perspectives. My question has indeed been asked & answered.

'Healer' OUT! B) -- /bow
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeeScrolls wrote: »
    Question for ESO peeps: Why tha eff do random players/groups always call me "healer" when clearly my NAME is NEE ?

"Healer do this!"
    "Healer go there!"
    "Healer why u let me die when i try aggro 68 enemies at once pulling b4 tank does ready-check?!?!?!"

Does this ever happen to anyone else? cuz i mean, i rarely if ever see the same type of treatment toward DPS or tanks. And it's like somewhat condescending and dismissive, no?

Then again, i come from SWG & SWTOR, so perhaps i'm just not in-tune with the cool kids ESO lingo. B) (even though i've been here subbed since beta lol )

lol

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person this irritates. I'm always "the tank". It's just too much effort for them to use my actual name.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I call healers "healers" and not by their name because.

A. I rarely know their names. If it was something like Sue or Stephen I might remember it easy, but when the healers name is something I have never seen before, its kinda hard to remember.
    B. Calling out "healer" to the group also lets the rest of the group know who you are talking to. The other members may not know names either. If they hear someones name, they might not know it was the healer. If they call out "healer" then everyone knows who they are referring to.

I also call tanks "tank". and dps "DPS" as in "hey DPS, pick it up!"

Calling someone by their role is not dismissive or mean, its just the fastest way to communicate.
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question for ESO peeps: Why tha eff do random players/groups always call me "healer" when clearly my NAME is NEE ?

"Healer do this!"
    "Healer go there!"
    "Healer why u let me die when i try aggro 68 enemies at once pulling b4 tank does ready-check?!?!?!"

Does this ever happen to anyone else? cuz i mean, i rarely if ever see the same type of treatment toward DPS or tanks. And it's like somewhat condescending and dismissive, no?

Then again, i come from SWG & SWTOR, so perhaps i'm just not in-tune with the cool kids ESO lingo. B) (even though i've been here subbed since beta lol )

Tanks get heat for it by DPS as well, they're highly impatient for ready checks and they charge in like crazy completely ignoring that tanks are TERRIBLE at resource sustain. They'll sprint far ahead of me with their speed buffs while my short little heavy tank legs can only move me so fast, so I sprint and arrive to the boss out of stamina, and the moment I get there, the DPS are already leeroy jenkins it and get angry at healers for not healing their one-shot killing blows, and also get angry at tanks for DARING to run out of stamina and want to wait to catch our breath.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling people by their role is very common. In a team we are referring to the role and it happens in sporting teams too.
  • Stefirex
    Stefirex
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Original Poster. Can I call you that? Poster should be happy people are talking to him at all when he's not doing his job of healing all their bad behaviors for them. :D
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because a lot of people have hard-to-remember names, so people just say "healer" or "dps" or "tank" instead.
    Don't assume that people will remember your name during a dungeon fight. I wouldn't have remembered your name, even though it's an easy name.
    It's easier to say "healer" than Tuevoriusi Mixermonius From Serk, or whatever.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When running with a pug healer it is just simpler to type or say healer than to look for the name of the healer and use that.
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stefirex wrote: »
    Hey Original Poster. Can I call you that?
    Sure np, Stefirex! :p
    Stefirex wrote: »
    Poster should be happy people are talking to him at all when he's not doing his job of healing all their bad behaviors for them.
    I'm always happy while playing ESO video-game. (except maybe when i get 'Keep' de-sync in Cyrodiil)
    Tanks get heat for it by DPS as well, they're highly impatient for ready checks and they charge in like crazy completely ignoring that tanks are TERRIBLE at resource sustain. They'll sprint far ahead of me with their speed buffs while my short little heavy tank legs can only move me so fast, so I sprint and arrive to the boss out of stamina, and the moment I get there, the DPS are already leeroy jenkins it and get angry at healers for not healing their one-shot killing blows, and also get angry at tanks for DARING to run out of stamina and want to wait to catch our breath.
    Quoted for truth ^ yep, preachin' to the choir!

And hey there @ZOS_KageW , while you're editing my OP , any chance you could also *close* this thread please? It has clearly out-lived it's worth (question was def. answered by now) and is slowing becoming the same redundant reply over & over again. /tip-hat thanks, moderator B)
    Edited by NeeScrolls on November 7, 2021 5:04AM
  • Ergele
    Ergele
    ✭✭✭
    Question for ESO peeps: Why tha [snip] do random players/groups always call me "healer" when clearly my NAME is NEE ?

"Healer do this!"
    "Healer go there!"

[Edited for Censor Bypass]

How did u type in blue?
This discussion has been closed.