The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Solo Random Battleground queue is a Joke

mandricus
mandricus
✭✭✭✭✭
Trying since two days, I was *never* able to get any other modes than deathmatch.
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because if most people q death match its just going to be deathmatch and fill the remaining slots with people who q random.
  • mandricus
    mandricus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked in the chat to other players. A good numbers of them were queued for random battleground, not deatchmatch. But still, deatchmatch only for everyone.
  • Contos
    Contos
    ✭✭✭
    Elo106 wrote: »
    Because if most people q death match its just going to be deathmatch and fill the remaining slots with people who q random.

If it's actually the case (DM bg and Random bg having the same queue) then there was no reason to bring random bg back in the first place. It should be obvious but by this logic, if 12 people queue up, 11 for random 1 for dm then the match will be a DM. What is ridiculous. It can't be right.
    But it seems so...

I played 20-30 bgs, all random, all deathmatch. It's a joke. Thats it. Check leaderboards. It's like 24 people on flag games? On pc/eu. It's 2 games. There is no way it was intended this way. As i said it completely destroys the purpouse of the random queue anyways.

The 2 queues (dm and random) should be completaly seperate (or at least weightened). It's just my opinion but there was no reason seperating them in the first place, other than people complaining for several reasons. None of them is objectively reasonable. Other game modes have their problems. But it's nothing compared to this monotone hell of endless deathmatch.
    These people who complained and ignored the mechanics of the games all the time got rewarded with their own seperate deathmatch queue. (In other games these people are banned for griefing) In that case it should be truly seperated. Even removing deathmatch from the random one is a considerable option since it has it's own queue now.

Btw I don't hate deathmatch, I enjoy it occasionally, but not contantly. It's just a queston of your own preference what gamemode you like. And it has nothing to do with the other modes being "PVE" or exploitable/broken, what is just bullcrap.

I hope this issue gets some attention, because as I said I doubt it is intened this way.
    Edited by Contos on November 3, 2021 10:22PM
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah random solo queue is not working at all
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBattlegrounds aren't that popular unfortunately, i think this mode need more player to function properly tbh
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I feel really bad for players that enjoy the objective modes. I agree that the problem is probably the lack of population in BGs at the moment for it to work properly. There's not enough people queuing for randoms so objective players just become backfill for the deathmatch ques to cut down on wait times.
  • Sachsen71
    Sachsen71
    ✭✭✭
    The new queue system is not working. There really should be a “deathmatch queue” and an “anything OTHER THAN deathmatch queue”. If I want to deathmatch, there is a queue for that. If I don’t want to deathmatch, I should be able to queue for a random objective based game and not get stuck into deathmatch anyway. But in about 10 consecutive tries queueing in the random queue, I’ve gotten deathmatch every time.

Come on, ZOS. This is stupid. Fix it.
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure it’s busted. Over 20 matches at this point, and all of them DM. :(
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭
    It just goes back to what I said in other posts. Deathmatch players are the majority. There's no scenario where 1 player out of 12 is the only one queueing for deathmatch. Most players queue deathmatch. A lot of players have returned recently because deathmatch is available.

This is a good change for ESO BGs because it's prioritizing the backbone of the already small PvP community.

It's time to move past the queue issues. They've done enough. Let's move onto getting new content in PvP and end this silly, age-old debate about BG queues and leave them the way they are.

ZOS, DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING PLEASE.
    Edited by thesarahandcompany on November 4, 2021 1:47AM
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers
  • Rakdos
    Rakdos
    ✭✭
    I had 5 solo random queue last night, all deadmatch...

I feel like even there 6 player queue random and another player queue DM, the system will still tend to pick DM, it just have higher periority.

The DM lover may be happy with this but this is not healthy in the long run. The system discourage the objective pvper to participate. after 1-2 weeks the game will returning to that "same 12 people fighting each other" again.
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rakdos wrote: »
    I had 5 solo random queue last night, all deadmatch...

I feel like even there 6 player queue random and another player queue DM, the system will still tend to pick DM, it just have higher periority.

The DM lover may be happy with this but this is not healthy in the long run. The system discourage the objective pvper to participate. after 1-2 weeks the game will returning to that "same 12 people fighting each other" again.

I disagree. There are players who haven't logged on in months I've seen returned because of the queue changes.
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I returned for the queue change, with hopes it would be back to as it was. However, it is 100% deathmatch still. 5 games tonight queued for solo random, all deathmatch.
  • auz
    auz
    ✭✭✭✭
    5 random bgs. All Deathmatch. Sweet. Did get one with only one team mate. But he left pretty quick. Was fun.
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not play in their DM "test".

I can't back and ran about 10 bg's, all DM, and now I just won't q again until there is a fix.

No, it's not working, it's bugged.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah got two land grabs out of a total of would say 40+ matches since the last update, dont think their are a lot of people playing matches I only do deathmatches on three of the more fun maps that, so often quit even before a match starts wait my five mins and reque and end up in the match I left again on a different team or the same team more often then not, , so yeah seems to be 98% deathmatches

Sorry for typos and errors, been a long day
    Edited by RedTalon on November 4, 2021 8:35AM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be some form of matchmaking threshold period during which random queue players can only be matched with random queue players. That would at least provide a window for a full group of random queue players to form, rather than immediately filling empty spots with DM queue players and forcing the match into DM.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is ridiculous. THere is a DM queue for people who want to do DMs. The RANDOM queue should not also be all DMs.

Please ZOS make a random queue for people who don't want to do only DMs.
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Folks...

With the way the queue system is now setup, it only takes 1 person. One. One person queues for DM and the random queue folks will be pulled in.

You can have 12 people in queue. 11 of them in random queue and the last person joins the DM queue... boom. Everyone gets a DM.

It has absolutely nothing to do with who thinks X is more popular than Y. Absolutely nothing.
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Folks...

With the way the queue system is now setup, it only takes 1 person. One. One person queues for DM and the random queue folks will be pulled in.

You can have 12 people in queue. 11 of them in random queue and the last person joins the DM queue... boom. Everyone gets a DM.

It has absolutely nothing to do with who thinks X is more popular than Y. Absolutely nothing.

Yes it does, because what you're describing seldomly happens, if ever, to be an actual problem from ZOS' perspective. The vast majority of players are queueing using the Deathmatch Queue. This information came from the Creative Director himself.

He also said that if Objective Modes got their own specific queue, that the queue would never pop. Later on he added that they'd keep monitoring the queues. Basically, if enough people start queueing using the Random Queue for Obj Modes to warrant its own specific queue, they'll probably add it in the future.
  • mandricus
    mandricus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magio_ wrote: »
    Later on he added that they'd keep monitoring the queues. Basically, if enough people start queueing using the Random Queue for Obj Modes to warrant its own specific queue, they'll probably add it in the future.

At the moment there is no point in queueing for a random, you are going to end in a deathmatch anyway.
    The data observation will be biased by the simple fact that, given the current situation, people wanting other modes just gave up and moved on to something else.

Edited by mandricus on November 12, 2021 11:18AM
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    mandricus wrote: »
    given the current situation, people wanting other modes just gave up and moved on to something else.

I gave it 2 nights then moved on to the new DLC stuff. Now i'm done with what I want with that, last night I was actually looking at if it would be worth it to get into GW2 WvW again.
  • thesarahandcompany
    thesarahandcompany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Folks...

This isn't happening though. This is a huge and unrealistic hypothetical. Rich himself has said the vast majority of players are queueing for deathmatch.

This is just some constructed talking point that ignores the reality of the situation.
    Edited by thesarahandcompany on November 12, 2021 3:01PM
    Sarahandcompany
    She/Her/Hers
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *raises hand*

Another one who barely queues anymore because of DM-only. I occasionally do one for the daily, but no more. Plenty others I know like me.

Given those of us not queueing don't show up in any statistic neither ZOS nor people in here can judge the reality of the situation properly, and the system is skewed towards DM, no matter how much people want to prettify it with "Yes but it doesn't matter".
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like the only way to truly get a random BG is if 12 people are in the random queue and no one is in the deathmatch queue. But ZOS said most popular mode is deathmatch. So the odds of ever having no one in deathmatch queue seem to be slim to none, if deathmatch is most wanted. So why even bring back random queue?
  • Magio_
    Magio_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    It sounds like the only way to truly get a random BG is if 12 people are in the random queue and no one is in the deathmatch queue. But ZOS said most popular mode is deathmatch. So the odds of ever having no one in deathmatch queue seem to be slim to none, if deathmatch is most wanted. So why even bring back random queue?

Well, now you have to option to get 12 people and organize 4v4v4 BG nights with your Objective Mode BG guild. That choice wasn't present before.

That's what DMers did for a whole year when it was fully random and it only had under 15% chance to appear. Good luck!
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭

This isn't happening though. This is a huge and unrealistic hypothetical. Rich himself has said the vast majority of players are queueing for deathmatch.

This is just some constructed talking point that ignores the reality of the situation.
    Magio_ wrote: »

Yes it does, because what you're describing seldomly happens, if ever, to be an actual problem from ZOS' perspective. The vast majority of players are queueing using the Deathmatch Queue. This information came from the Creative Director himself.

He also said that if Objective Modes got their own specific queue, that the queue would never pop. Later on he added that they'd keep monitoring the queues. Basically, if enough people start queueing using the Random Queue for Obj Modes to warrant its own specific queue, they'll probably add it in the future.

Moot points. The queues need to be separated for actual data. If they don't pop fast, they don't pop fast. DM queue will continue to pop and be played. People that want objective or true random can wait.

Do I believe and agree that Death match is more popular? Yes. Do I care what game mode I get? No.

It doesn't change the simple, substantially basic, fact that it is still set up as described.

If 11 people queue random and 1 person queue's for DM, the match will be DM. It's not the first game to try cross queue pools. Also not the first game to learn that lesson the hard way.
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moot points. The queues need to be separated for actual data. If they don't pop fast, they don't pop fast.

This suggests that you've seen the data ZOS is using and are qualified to make a judgement on it. I don't believe that is true.

Additionally, truly separate queues once existed and DM was vastly more popular than all the others. While some people on the forums are throwing support for long queue times to be guaranteed a non-DM, I would imagine ZOS would be concerned about the vast majority of their playerbase, 99% of whom don't use the forums, starting to complain about not getting games.

• trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How We Got Here:

1) Deathmatch players wouldn’t play to objective in non-Deathmatch games causing clear frustration to the casual/objective players.

2) ZOS tests only Deathmatches as a solution on the Live Servers. The consequences of this move are huge. It not only decimated the overall BG population but got anyone who didn’t want Deathmatches to abandon the mode and/or possibly the game.

3) ZOS ends it’s test and brings back the possibility of objective games. Beyond stating this on its official forums ZOS does nothing to inform players that have left because of the only Deathmatches change.

4) ZOS institutes an unbalanced queue system in which when 12 individuals put in to play a battleground, if only 1 queues specifically for Deathmatch then all 12 will always get Deathmatch.

5) ZOS has done nothing to reset BG populations. As a result of its test and failure to return the BG population to how it was prior the current population of those actively queuing for BGs are Deathmatchers.

6) Virtually all BGs now are still Deathmatches. The comment by a ZOS employee that this is because most people are queuing for Deathmatch can in fact be true. The reason being again that they’ve already driven the players who don’t want Deathmatch from the mode and done nothing to bring them back. Not only that but the current queue system and active BG population virtually ensure Deathmatches.
    Edited by trackdemon5512 on November 12, 2021 10:34PM
  • GetAgrippa
    GetAgrippa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How We Got Here:

2) ZOS tests only Deathmatches as a solution on the Live Servers. The consequences of this move are huge. It not only decimated the overall BG population but got anyone who didn’t want Deathmatches to abandon the mode and/or possibly the game.

How can we be sure that BG population was decimated because of DM only queue when it coincided with the most broken set ever released in pvp, Dark Conversion? I know many people who were excited about dm queue only to quit again because of Dark Conversion spam.
  • Dem_kitkats1
    Dem_kitkats1
    ✭✭✭✭
    GetAgrippa wrote: »
    How We Got Here:

How can we be sure that BG population was decimated because of DM only queue when it coincided with the most broken set ever released in pvp, Dark Conversion? I know many people who were excited about dm queue only to quit again because of Dark Conversion spam.

Yes exactly. The BG population left for many reasons other than DM ques. The moment those sets that we've mentioned over and over were introduced people began to leave left, right, and center. But those were the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. Lack of new content, the continuing and worsening issues with lag and performance coupled with ZOS' no intention of fixing it was really what caused players to question their loyalty to the game. So when New World came out people jumped ship without a second thought.

When they announced the DM only ques, PVPers actually began to come back and the ques and matches have been healthy from what I've seen. Of course that is for DM only. I think people fail to realize that there was frustration all around objective modes. Yes, many DM players used these modes as an excuse to just farm kills, but that's because they were forced to play objective modes constantly with no other option. Many players were frustrated because BGs is PVP and it didn't make sense that teams could win without any combat whatsoever. Teams and teammates would often just sneak around capturing flags without even fighting other players. Or in the case of Chaosball you could just have unkillable tanks or swift, uncatchable, toons running around in circles so the match just became DM anyway. I think people didn't realize how many players actually enjoyed DMs more than objectives. Also that more casual players qued for BGs less than a lot of PVP players, so all in all less people que for random/objective modes.

However, I do agree that they should separate the Random que from the DM que entirely. Therefore, people could feel as though they have more of a choice. And perhaps BGs could be more enticing for more casual players to return or to newer/PVE players who wish to dip a toe into PVP.