The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Play how you want...

Kryptonite_Kent
Kryptonite_Kent
✭✭✭✭
This gamestyle sounds good when you hear it... but in practice its not good for an MMO

1. Everyone can heal, so outside of a few cutting edge endgame trials and maybe some of the newer vet dungeons... no one needs a dedicated healer, cause everyone has healing
2. Everyone can stack damage mitigation, so outside of the above mentioned content again... no one has much need for an actual tank, cause everyone has excessive survival
3. Everyone can dps, so again outside of the above mentioned content... no one has to worry about pulling their weight for damage, cause everyone has a good deal of damage output

The end result of this is that content is boringly easy, and "specs" are a moot point because you barely need them and only in a few select scenarios... this not only affects pve content such as group dungeons (including some vet dungeons) that can be solod or 2 manned, but also pvp in the fact that everyone just stacks mitigation and runs around a tree for 15 minutes because they have as much healing as a healer and as much tankiness as a tank.

The solution to this is keep the "play how you want" but have direct counters to the 'spec' you're slotting... ie if youre slotting mitigation gear and sword and board you lose (x%) dps / hps, if youre slotting dps gear and dps weapons you lose (x%) mitigation / hps, and if you slot hps gear and hps weapons, you lose (x%) dps / mitigation... to a degree that actually somewhat clarifies the spec youre playing without completely taking away your ability to solo overland pve content
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on October 28, 2021 12:27PM
Former Emperor
Animus Impetum -DC- Magplar
Animus Impetus -AD- Magplar
Impetus Animus -EP- Magplar
Kryptonite Kent -AD- Stamblade
Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, this "play how you want" ended YEARS ago... it was a creative slogan at one point. Even then, it has and ALWAYS WILL BE, "Play how ZOS wants you to play".
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at the back of my Tamriel Unlimited-era box, it says:
    Play The Way You Like
    Battle, craft, fish, steal, siege, or explore.
    The choice is yours to make in a persistent Elder Scrolls world.

So, yeah. It was just ad copy, and it just meant the usual "our MMO has lots of things to do".

"Everything is easy except for endgame vet content!" is a side effect of the One Tamriel / world scaling thing. Not because "everyone can be a tank, healer, and DPS at once!"
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overland content is so easy that you can play how you want and complete it with new level 3 characters.

• Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    As far as I know, this "play how you want" ended YEARS ago... it was a creative slogan at one point. Even then, it has and ALWAYS WILL BE, "Play how ZOS wants you to play".

Nah they are actually doubling down on "play how you want" in the next patch on Nov 1... now all gear that has weapon damage, weapon crit, weapon pen... will also have the equal amounts of spell damage, spell crit, and spell pen.

Essentially another watering down of a "spec" in the sense now that mag specs and stam specs will be moot, and there will also be a power / heal creep to go with it, because now stam users (templars for example) will be able to have enough spell damage from a weapon damage set to use the magicka heals that a spell damage user has with only a minimal loss due to less magicka (unless they just hybrid their stat pools)

This thought process leads to the "meta" cookie cutter problems this game suffers from because theres little to no variety in builds because everyone is everything
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah they are actually doubling down on "play how you want" in the next patch on Nov 1... now all gear that has weapon damage, weapon crit, weapon pen... will also have the equal amounts of spell damage, spell crit, and spell pen.

No, the point is that "play how you want" was never about spec in the first place.

Are they homogenizing things further, in some attempt at balance & "build diversity"? Sure.

But that's not what they meant by "play how you want".
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on October 28, 2021 12:17PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Essentially another watering down of a "spec" in the sense now that mag specs and stam specs will be moot, and there will also be a power / heal creep to go with it, because now stam users (templars for example) will be able to have enough spell damage from a weapon damage set to use the magicka heals that a spell damage user has with only a minimal loss due to less magicka (unless they just hybrid their stat pools)

This thought process leads to the "meta" cookie cutter problems this game suffers from because theres little to no variety in builds because everyone is everything

That's interesting... I guess I haven't been paying that close of attention to the changes... since players have no say in them anyway and just have to deal with the aftermath. I do like the idea of Stamplar being able to finally use some of their magicka abilities. Now will magicka users be able to wield weapons with equal damage potential?!?
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭

No, the point is that "play how you want" was never about spec in the first place.

Are they homogenizing things further, in some attempt at balance & "build diversity"? Sure.

But that's not what they meant by "play how you want".

Except they literally said they are doing this because of the motto "play how you want / like (whatever it is lol)" so it does affect specs when specs are basically non existant... and no its not because of level scaling... you could solo dungeons way before level scaling came out.

Homogenizing things is the opposite of "build diversity" lol....
    Edited by Kryptonite_Kent on October 28, 2021 12:21PM
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's plenty of need for an actual tank in PVE group content. Someone has to be able to hold boss aggro and stay alive.

Fake taunts with no taunts merely outsource their job to another groupmate - usually the healer - and then tout their own DPS after making the other DDs' job harder by letting the boss run around and out of the AOEs.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are homogenizing things because they made a couple critical design mistakes years ago that resulted in polarizing how builds are done. It is insane that we put everything into Magicka or Stamina, in the first place. Stamina morphs simply cater to the polarized builds, and now they think they can break this up with a set bonus change. Meanwhile, people are still clamoring for "stam whip", which I see as nothing more than more lipstick on the pig.

While they will never go fully homogenized, as they get closer, the effect will be that the decision between stamina and magicka will become more and more moot. The line between them begins to blur and decisions matter less.

Of course, the selling point is that this broadens build possibilities, and it does. Now your StamDK can use magicka sets and magicka whip.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's funny this topic comes up, 'cause I've actually been moderately depressed lately at how strict the holy trinity in this game is (Not really depressed, but it is kinda boring how generic end-game specs are).

I personally like that you don't NEED a healer, and realistically you shouldn't need a tank either. That to me is exactly what "play how you want" means. If you want to run with 4 self-sustaining DPS, cool, you can do that. If you want to run with 4 role-optimized players, cool, you can do that too. At the end of the day, you do have to eventually kill stuff to clear content, so naturally damage is a priority, but I think the ability to mix up how you do that damage is what makes building characters fun.

The game suffers mostly from a lack of meaningful mechanics, and that is what kills the whole "play how you want" vibe. You can put as many statistical divides as you want, but you won't notice any real difference when every character still plays exactly the same. So while I understand the agitation from the game's history of homogenization, I think it's important to remember exactly what homogenization has hurt the game. Frankly, I think the next patch is great for thematic builds. I just hope they do more under-the-hood stuff to make choices matter in more meaningful areas.

I do agree though that there's a bit of a lack in give-and-take with builds, but again, that's less to do with "play how you want" and more to do with the design of their skill system. You have a class that kind of defines your build, but not really because you can get everything your class lacks through other means. The ideas are good, just the execution needs some tweaking.

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO it seems to work just fine and ESO seems to be doing just fine so many seem to agree.

Also, older dungeons do seem easy but that is because of power creep. Top players will also find more content easier but that is because they excel and have learned the content. Heck, I have always found content I have figured out to be much easier.
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your experience is quite subjective. In trials especially with pugs you'll definitely want the support roles present. In dungeons I prefer parsing on the boss and not dodging every attack due to having aggro, especially in vet where a mistake means death.

The pros and cons of armor passives deals with some aspects of your concerns. I don't like your solutions, since it will only make the game less fun for everyone.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE solo is a very legitimate way to play ESO. If it wasn't I would move to another game. As a soloist, I need to tank, heal and damage. The blending of this requirement with strict heal/tank/dps dungeon considerations is never going to work if the game goes extreme one way or the other. Heavy changes risks losing the large number of solo players or the equally large number of group players. Can't attract/retain both styles of play with a one size fits all solution.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with not needing a dedicated healer or tank? If you want to only play pure trinity roles, there are plenty of other MMOs.

I think its really fun to play a healer where I can dps in my downtime. Playing as more of a hybrid and contributing to group dps via buffs and personal dps is part of what makes a great healer great.

Every game in existence has a meta. That's just how games work. Play how you want is just a slogan. No matter what changes they make to the game, there will always be meta builds, and off meta builds.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ksariyu wrote: »
    It's funny this topic comes up, 'cause I've actually been moderately depressed lately at how strict the holy trinity in this game is (Not really depressed, but it is kinda boring how generic end-game specs are).

I personally like that you don't NEED a healer, and realistically you shouldn't need a tank either. That to me is exactly what "play how you want" means. If you want to run with 4 self-sustaining DPS, cool, you can do that. If you want to run with 4 role-optimized players, cool, you can do that too. At the end of the day, you do have to eventually kill stuff to clear content, so naturally damage is a priority, but I think the ability to mix up how you do that damage is what makes building characters fun.

The game suffers mostly from a lack of meaningful mechanics, and that is what kills the whole "play how you want" vibe. You can put as many statistical divides as you want, but you won't notice any real difference when every character still plays exactly the same. So while I understand the agitation from the game's history of homogenization, I think it's important to remember exactly what homogenization has hurt the game. Frankly, I think the next patch is great for thematic builds. I just hope they do more under-the-hood stuff to make choices matter in more meaningful areas.

I do agree though that there's a bit of a lack in give-and-take with builds, but again, that's less to do with "play how you want" and more to do with the design of their skill system. You have a class that kind of defines your build, but not really because you can get everything your class lacks through other means. The ideas are good, just the execution needs some tweaking.

You know, you usually can run 4 DDs. It's a rotten thing to do in groupfinder to randoms who aren't expecting it. But in a pre-made group? Go for it!

Of course, the flip side is that you all have to be prepared. My experience was that the extra boss movement when no one runs a taunt decreased the group's DPS to the point that the difference with an extra DD was negligible. Worse, when the boss aggroed a DD who suddenly wasn't confident they could handle boss aggro and survive, they ran around, making the problem worse. My DD equipped a taunt, and "tanked" the rest of the dungeon.

There's a reason why the "ideal" roles for prepared players are 1 tank + 3DDs. It's not because the roles are super strict. It's because the boss needs to stay more or less still in order to maximize DPS, and thus you need someone who can taunt and survive.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly the Truth,
    and i know for fact im not alone in that i Hate it is that way here in eso.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 1 of three of those points are true.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But we already have those "direct counters". Check armour passives. Also, lack of bonuses to crit, dmg or sustain is also a counter.

Also, i am playing how i want. Making silly builds, running with them through solo dungs (even HM) & arenas (also DSA & BRP), playing as a tank with Tormentor & Void Bash on vet dlc dungs, even running stamhealer into trials. And it is a lot of fun, not boring, cause everytime i am using different skill, sets or weapon. And on some builds sometimes i struggle, like with Crown boss - then the fun is the best.

So don't play always the same build, experiment, and eso would be less boring and easy.

• Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    What's wrong with not needing a dedicated healer or tank? If you want to only play pure trinity roles, there are plenty of other MMOs.

I think its really fun to play a healer where I can dps in my downtime. Playing as more of a hybrid and contributing to group dps via buffs and personal dps is part of what makes a great healer great.

Every game in existence has a meta. That's just how games work. Play how you want is just a slogan. No matter what changes they make to the game, there will always be meta builds, and off meta builds.

The problem isn't the existence of meta.

The problem is game design that caters to that meta, making the meta more and more necessary as newer content comes out.

The game, as it stands, currently doesn't require a "meta" to complete any of the content in the game. But it is close enough to the edge that in order to participate in end game content with the vast majority of organized end game groups, you will need to be playing meta simply to participate.

I don't mind the fact that meta is necessary for leaderboards or things like that. But the game is designed in such a way that it's real close to needing meta simply to participate. And that's where the problem comes.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is plenty of more difficult content overland, so no idea why people keep posting that misinformation over and over. I'll wager that those who blithely post that repetitively do not do geysers, harrowstorms, world bosses, craglorn type world event bosses, arenas, solo group delves and dungeons, etc. Will also wager that many who post that claim have never set foot in any PvP. Anyone who claims many of those things are "too easy" solo is lying.

Yes, the basic questlines in the game need to be easy enough or the game would go out of business. I can list several excellent MMO type games, some much better than ESO with PvE that was "too hard" for the masses and you can't play them now because they are defunct. I'd rather play a game that is still running personally than dream about how good games were that went out of business.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    buttaface wrote: »
    I can list several excellent MMO type games, some much better than ESO with PvE that was "too hard" for the masses and you can't play them now because they are defunct. I'd rather play a game that is still running personally than dream about how good games were that went out of business.

I like this point; also this one:
    PvE solo is a very legitimate way to play ESO. If it wasn't I would move to another game. As a soloist, I need to tank, heal and damage.

When queuing for a random dungeon I sign up for and accept responsibility to perform a role - the role I signed up for.

When playing solo -or with friends - or with a pre-made group I have choices to use those roles/guidelines or to come up with a new pattern.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know, you usually can run 4 DDs. It's a rotten thing to do in groupfinder to randoms who aren't expecting it. But in a pre-made group? Go for it!

Of course, the flip side is that you all have to be prepared. My experience was that the extra boss movement when no one runs a taunt decreased the group's DPS to the point that the difference with an extra DD was negligible. Worse, when the boss aggroed a DD who suddenly wasn't confident they could handle boss aggro and survive, they ran around, making the problem worse. My DD equipped a taunt, and "tanked" the rest of the dungeon.

There's a reason why the "ideal" roles for prepared players are 1 tank + 3DDs. It's not because the roles are super strict. It's because the boss needs to stay more or less still in order to maximize DPS, and thus you need someone who can taunt and survive.

I know, and I think it's cool that you can. I do realize that for many groups the tank's sole job is to keep mobs together and in one place. Unfortunately I think that's a bit to do with how prevalent ground-based DoTs are, and the fact that AoE damage is so close in efficiency to single-target which encourages players to use it even for single-target boss fights. Of course, any group comp is allowed as long as your group agrees ahead of time, but sadly I find there's few people in the game who are willing to spend the time to make non-traditional comps work, and as a result the requirements for even the most basic of trial groups are quite restrictive.

• Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is plenty of more difficult content overland, so no idea why people keep posting that misinformation over and over. I'll wager that those who blithely post that repetitively do not do geysers, harrowstorms, world bosses, craglorn type world event bosses, arenas, solo group delves and dungeons, etc. Will also wager that many who post that claim have never set foot in any PvP. Anyone who claims many of those things are "too easy" solo is lying.

Yes, the basic questlines in the game need to be easy enough or the game would go out of business. I can list several excellent MMO type games, some much better than ESO with PvE that was "too hard" for the masses and you can't play them now because they are defunct. I'd rather play a game that is still running personally than dream about how good games were that went out of business.

Yeah no... none of that stuff is hard, at all, the closest thing to being "difficult" solo is Vet Maelstrom Arena
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would say soloing harrowstorms are harder than vma, but thats just my opinion. I also haven't done a harrowstorm in awhile so maybe they have been nerfed? Also soloing dragons is pretty tough.

I agree that most overland content is very easy.
    Edited by Stx on October 30, 2021 4:39PM
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

I play how I want,if others don't want me in their group ,not gonna hurt me.Plenty of others that will group and do trials,etc.I don't use meta build/rotation and can still solo most content with no issue.

Most overland was never meant to be too hard,cause new players need to be able to complete things.If it's too hard at beginning you lose players.So they balanced it to where non-vet can do most content and learn the controls,mechanics,setups without dying alot.

The main problem is the elitist players who want to speed through everything,not the builds/setup you can use.If anything is too hard,they complain about needing better gear,or to nerf content.If it's too easy they want buffed content,or nerfed gear.It's a never ending cycle with all games.
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This gamestyle sounds good when you hear it... but in practice its not good for an MMO

1. Everyone can heal, so outside of a few cutting edge endgame trials and maybe some of the newer vet dungeons... no one needs a dedicated healer, cause everyone has healing
    2. Everyone can stack damage mitigation, so outside of the above mentioned content again... no one has much need for an actual tank, cause everyone has excessive survival
    3. Everyone can dps, so again outside of the above mentioned content... no one has to worry about pulling their weight for damage, cause everyone has a good deal of damage output

The end result of this is that content is boringly easy, and "specs" are a moot point because you barely need them and only in a few select scenarios... this not only affects pve content such as group dungeons (including some vet dungeons) that can be solod or 2 manned, but also pvp in the fact that everyone just stacks mitigation and runs around a tree for 15 minutes because they have as much healing as a healer and as much tankiness as a tank.

The solution to this is keep the "play how you want" but have direct counters to the 'spec' you're slotting... ie if youre slotting mitigation gear and sword and board you lose (x%) dps / hps, if youre slotting dps gear and dps weapons you lose (x%) mitigation / hps, and if you slot hps gear and hps weapons, you lose (x%) dps / mitigation... to a degree that actually somewhat clarifies the spec youre playing without completely taking away your ability to solo overland pve content

Exactly because of this I put my 2 healers and 1 tank to rest, they are now carries for unused items, very good.
    I did tanking and healing with much addiction but it is not really needed. When joining a raid by the guild, it is all done by the last 2 tanks and healing only in hardmode needed, so yeah pretty much the end of the journey. I do must dungeons alone, most is do-able.
    Edited by Azurya on October 30, 2021 5:26PM
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely think the roles should be more defined. In solo/overland content, it should matter as much if roles hybridize. I simply think that the "peaks and valleys" between each role isn't divided enough to make roles a necessary thing to complete content. In defense of this: It is likely because there aren't enough tanks or healers playing to divide the rift further. Which is sad, because I do like tanking. But toxic dps in PUGs and constantly trying to duel me on my tank is annoying. They know full well I would lose.

Anyway. I think that ZoS can hybridize the weapon/spell damage and criticals, but healing critical and potency needs to be separated from damage critical and potency. Otherwise players will always be able to heal through anything that isn't a 1 shot.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I could do Geysers, Harrowstorms, world bosses, etc.

But that doesn't solve the problem of dissatisfaction when the ultra powerful daedric champion, doped-up-on-godhood dragon, or fought-a-god-to-a-standstill vampire lord who's been been hyped the whole year long goes down like a chump.

A lot of the criticism is that questing is too easy, and moreover, too easy for the narrative stakes we're supposed to care about.

As for "It's gotta be easy", I'd love an optional difficulty setting for the final boss fights, without even asking for extra rewards.
    Edited by VaranisArano on October 30, 2021 11:22PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But that doesn't solve the problem of dissatisfaction when the ultra powerful daedric champion, doped-up-on-godhood dragon, or fought-a-god-to-a-standstill vampire lord who's been been hyped the whole year long goes down like a chump.

A lot of the criticism is that questing is too easy, and moreover, too easy for the narrative stakes we're supposed to care about.

As for "It's gotta be easy", I'd love an optional difficulty setting for the final boss fights, without even asking for extra rewards.

Undaunted scroll of colorful insults Hard mode on story bosses when, ZOS?
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that is the issue of the whole TES series - if you start an adventure from buffing your hero, you will have really easy time while fighting end bosses. At least in Morrowind and Skyrim. Oblivion is little bit different because of scaling (and many people complain about its difficullty ^^ ).

But sure, hardmode for solo zones during quests would be nice. Also, remember that not all questlines are so easy. If i remember correctly, Markhart had really nice end boss. But Markhart is awesome in general ;)