The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Theory Craft: PVE Bash Attack DPS Build

merpins
merpins
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Had an idea for a dps build in pve using bash, but I'm not sure where to go about it (next update).
I'm thinking DEFINITELY using Deadlands Demolisher, but after that I'm not sure. Monster helm set, secondary set (I know Veiled Heretance is a bash set), class... Racially, Nord is probably optimal since Bash scales with spell and physical resistances at what LOOKS like a 1/3 ratio, meaning if you have 18000 resistances (both), your bash damage is a bit less than 6,000, but I'm not sure how well that scales or if it is weighted in any way.
For classes, all of them seem to work in some way or another, but the fact that you'll need to stack resistances rather than crit or damage... It seems like the two best options are DK and Necro, DK with their ulti that gives 100% penetration, and Necro with their Ulti that not only increases your resistances but also makes bash an AOE and increases the damage.

Any thoughts on how to optimize this? It doesn't need to be top tier, but I'd love to do a fun casual build that can do pugs and vet dungeons without much trouble.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bash was a part of any damage dealer role since it has its own global cooldown, but they nerfed it so much it does not even worth considering. I mean of course you can still bash in your regular rotation but anything you would do to increase its damage will result in overall damage loss.
  • Eormenric
    Eormenric
    ✭✭✭
    If Bash damage only scales with resistances, then focusing on that would give the most benefits. I suppose by being a vampire and using Blood Frenzy (probably Sated Fury morph if Weapon/Spell damage won't do anything for you) coupled with Mark of the Pariah, Aetherial Ascension, Gaze of Sithis, a 1 piece monster helm set that gives armor (e.g. Pirate Skeleton), and a (2) armor set that gives armor (e.g. Meridia's Blessed Armor) would give a lot of damage to your bash attacks.

If Deadlands Demolisher converts your Bash damage into an AoE, that would be only good on fights that require cleave.
    Edited by Eormenric on October 28, 2021 8:05PM
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    does bashing with a shield inflict more damage? Does a shield provide more resistance than let's say dagger, thus more bash damage as it scales with resistance?
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I saw someone running around bashing everyone in a battleground. Maybe there's a secret bash build out there. Funny to see.
    PC NA
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    does bashing with a shield inflict more damage? Does a shield provide more resistance than let's say dagger, thus more bash damage as it scales with resistance?

1H&Shield gets bash bonus, so yes.
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    I saw someone running around bashing everyone in a battleground. Maybe there's a secret bash build out there. Funny to see.

Was it a standard bash or the ability "Power Bash" under 1H&Shield? Because power bash doesn't get the same bonuses as standard bash, and scales differently. I use power bash because the damage is the strongest for 1H&Sh on one of my characters. But the standard bash isn't worth using unless the enemy is healing or you can't get out of an aoe fast enough with a roll dodge.

The idea around this build sounds good, but the damage done definitely won't be good enough for anything else than LA and bashing. And your LA will suffer without Power/Resource bonuses instead of armor bonuses.
    Edited by Syrpynt on November 9, 2021 7:10PM
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After the patch I played around with bash on a high resist build to check the new scaling and still found it lacking, mainly due to high stam cost compared to light attacks. i don't believe any of the "bash" sets would make a huge difference. Still a very large stam drain to get any damage out of it. YMMV of course.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »
    Was it a standard bash or the ability "Power Bash" under 1H&Shield?

It was the Necro ult bash and hit players for 5k each.
    PC NA
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro ult bash

Ah, the above would have been useful to include in the OP. Yeah.