The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

How are people getting over 20k damage?

• Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just get the free house in your capital city (Snugpod in Elden Root for example) and then get the precursor target dummy from Clockwork City. It only has 310k~ health, but it’ll give you a good idea of what kind of mob damage your doing before you die of boredom from the 3, 6 and 21million health ones
  • Smoky
    Smoky
    ✭✭✭
    Just get the free house in your capital city (Snugpod in Elden Root for example) and then get the precursor target dummy from Clockwork City. It only has 310k~ health, but it’ll give you a good idea of what kind of mob damage your doing before you die of boredom from the 3, 6 and 21million health ones

Snugpod is 40K gold, the free AD home is in Auridon, Mara's Kiss Inn Room is the free AD home. But a good way for OP to get a dummy to practice on.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoky wrote: »

Snugpod is 40K gold, the free AD home is in Auridon, Mara's Kiss Inn Room is the free AD home. But a good way for OP to get a dummy to practice on.

My bad, been so long since I had it as a wayshrine lol
  • bathynomusESO
    bathynomusESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to work on getting a different target. I got a free room at the inn and placed the Target Ogrim. Before all the changes, I was topping out on this dummy for 13k dps. I changed mundus, all gear, weapon, and champion points several times today. The results were not good. In some cases I was getting about the same dps. In other cases, I dropped to about 3/4 or 1/2. I'll probably just go back to my old build and live with 20k. I think I waisted the whole day and about 100k gold and mats. I got my magicka to 55k and it seems to make little to no difference in staff damage. I was only able to get my crit to 29%, due to spending almost all of my gold. Mundus changes from spell damage, magicka, or penetration, again, made little to no difference.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to work on getting a different target. I got a free room at the inn and placed the Target Ogrim. Before all the changes, I was topping out on this dummy for 13k dps. I changed mundus, all gear, weapon, and champion points several times today. The results were not good. In some cases I was getting about the same dps. In other cases, I dropped to about 3/4 or 1/2. I'll probably just go back to my old build and live with 20k. I think I waisted the whole day and about 100k gold and mats. I got my magicka to 55k and it seems to make little to no difference in staff damage. I was only able to get my crit to 29%, due to spending almost all of my gold. Mundus changes from spell damage, magicka, or penetration, again, made little to no difference.

You’ll be right, basically for me and my casual self (played since 2015, 1500~cp) you want all attribute points into stamina OR magicka, at least for now, one damage set and one regen set, thief mundus and a food that buffs health + primary resource.

After that it’s just playing with abilities until you get yourself a good rota
    Edited by Bobby_V_Rockit on October 28, 2021 12:19PM
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We can give all sorts of set and build advice in general.

But if your playstyle is very set as being a 'heavy attack lightning staff build', which right now is not too popular, a lot of the general advice doesn't apply directly to you.

Search for builds specifically about 'heavy attack sorcerer'.

29% crit is still too low for a crit-based standard playstyle.

Important though: The gigantic numbers come from Trial Dummies -- not dungeon dummies like the Ogrim. The trial dummies also give you a ton of buffs to simulate being in a polished trial group.

If you're getting 13k on the Ogrim that's probably equivalent to like 30k or more on a Trial Dummy.
    Edited by Fennwitty on October 28, 2021 2:21PM
    PC NA
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭

Simple answer: Animation cancelling.

It's a broken "feature" that the developers either couldn't/wouldn't fix because they thought it was "cool" or "interesting", and many of the hardcore streamers like it because it makes combat faster without the balancing. So a bug, became technique.

Players with arthritis? Too bad.
    Big ping/slow internet? Too bad.
    Suboptimal graphics/memory settings? Too bad.

If you don't have any weaknesses in performance, you may be blessed by the animation-cancelling gods and make high dps when you max all of your gear to the highest stats according to pts-theorycrafting.

Anyway, you could chase numbers--or you could relax since the end-game players tend to be wayyy to serious about their dps numbers than the content of the actual game. Don't let someone's gloating or snobbiness get in the way of enjoying the game. If you're blocked from certain content because of dps numbers (very rarely do you NEED to have specific dps values to prevent wipes), then you should learn to let go of that content, or change your character's playstyle to fit a "meta" mold in order to achieve that goal. I like to build the way I build. Sometimes it crosses over with the meta: Like last year I had a "bleed-build". I had no idea it was already known to be really good, I just like themes with my character creation. (:
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hymzir wrote: »

The game used to use Weapon Damage for Staves when it launched, but that got changed like 5 years ago or something. Also note that Stamina and Magicka contribute to damage too. Including weapon attacks. So Staff damage is calculated between Spell Damage and max Magicka. If you google for it, you will find the exact formulas, but it isn't really necessary. Roughly speaking, they both factor in equally, and about 10 Magicka equals about 1 Spell Damage.Roughly speaking that is. The exact ratio varies between different Abilities. The same is true for stam based attacks, just with Weapon Damage And Max Stamina.

Ah, that makes sense. This is one of my first characters from game launch. Will try to up my crit and magicka. I would really like to keep my staff as strong as possible.

I do a lot of testing on gear sets, like a lot lol... what I have found out is that spell damage is > magicka for damage output, mainly because it takes a lot less spell damage to do the same amount of damage, and spell damage benefits from a couple of large buffs if you use them (which you should)

So 1000 magicka = roughly 100 spell damage and 50 spell damage is roughly a 1% damage increase, you can get 2 easy buffs (major and minor sorcery) for a total of 30% increased spell damage... every 100 spell damage you have is now 130, and 50 spell damage is 1% damage so you get a 0.6% damage increase from the buffs for every 100 spell damage you have.

Conversely one of the "buffs" you can get easily for magicka is inner light, which is a 5% buff to magicka from the mage guild skill line... every 1000 magicka is going to give you a 'whopping' 50 magicka lol... which is roughly 5 spell damage, which is a 0.1% damage increase... in other words its SIX TIMES less effective for damage than spell power based on those easy to use buffs.

Lets say you stack magicka to 55k... you get 5% bonus magicka (there are other minor % increases such as undaunted but again it will be negligible for the most part)... which is 2750 bonus magicka, or roughly 275 spell damage

Now lets say you dont stack magicka and instead stack spell damage to ehhh 4500... you get 30% bonus to spell damage... which is 1350 spell damage

1350 spell damage vs 275 knowing that 50 spell damage is roughly 1% damage... is a 27% damage increase vs a 5.5% damage increase... to put that in perspective lets say you are hitting 20k dps, with spell damage you would see a gain of 5400 dps vs with magicka you would see 1100 dps... I think this may explain why you have been changing your setups slightly and seeing little to no difference in output

The main drawback to stacking spell damage over magicka is stat pool size... you will need to stay on top of your regen with a spell power build, you may need to run different food that has more regen, and or run cost reduction on some jewelry, use resto heavy attacks, slot regen abilities, etc... however the damage benefit vs more work for regen is huge, up to 6x more benefit

Pen and crit also factor in to the equation... pen is roughly 660 per 1% damage, but pen will greatly depend on your group comp (or if you are solo) and the content you are doing to decide how much you need... crit depends on your crit damage bonus, so (y) crit x (z) crit damage = damage increase... for example 30% crit chance on 70% crit damage is a 21% damage (+/-) increase on an extended fight, so every 10% crit increase for this crit damage would be roughly 7% output damage in a fight (if you arent lowering your base damage to increase your crit chance)

Keep in mind that raising your crit without raising your crit damage means you are lowering your non crit damage somewhere else, and as such, you will soft cap at some point and start to break even and or lose dps... so trial and error with YOUR build... dont just stack to 50% crit like others have suggested unless you are specifically building to do that with increased crit damage.
    Edited by Kryptonite_Kent on October 29, 2021 9:15AM
    Former Emperor
    Animus Impetum -DC- Magplar
    Animus Impetus -AD- Magplar
    Impetus Animus -EP- Magplar
    Kryptonite Kent -AD- Stamblade
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • KhajiitLivesMatter
    KhajiitLivesMatter
    ✭✭✭✭
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »

Simple answer: Animation cancelling.

It's a broken "feature" that the developers either couldn't/wouldn't fix because they thought it was "cool" or "interesting", and many of the hardcore streamers like it because it makes combat faster without the balancing. So a bug, became technique.

Players with arthritis? Too bad.
    Big ping/slow internet? Too bad.
    Suboptimal graphics/memory settings? Too bad.

If you don't have any weaknesses in performance, you may be blessed by the animation-cancelling gods and make high dps when you max all of your gear to the highest stats according to pts-theorycrafting.

Anyway, you could chase numbers--or you could relax since the end-game players tend to be wayyy to serious about their dps numbers than the content of the actual game. Don't let someone's gloating or snobbiness get in the way of enjoying the game. If you're blocked from certain content because of dps numbers (very rarely do you NEED to have specific dps values to prevent wipes), then you should learn to let go of that content, or change your character's playstyle to fit a "meta" mold in order to achieve that goal. I like to build the way I build. Sometimes it crosses over with the meta: Like last year I had a "bleed-build". I had no idea it was already known to be really good, I just like themes with my character creation. (:

Animation cancelling gives less than you think. It's just an additional squeeze. Arthritis maybe, but high ping or bad fps doesn't stop you from doing it. My group has a few Australian players that have a constant ping of 250 and have no problem with doing it. Also, anti-meta people tend to be as snobbish as meta chasers. Going with meta or at least stat optimal gear for learning the basics then going whatever you fancy is better than trying with random gear.
    While you dont have to have some top tier dps to finish vet content, the more you do the easier it gets. Personally, as long as you dont die and use skills from both bars, wear whatever works for you. Deadlands DLC set hybridisation is around the corner, you will have easier to make themed stuff and do damage at the same time.
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The game used to use Weapon Damage for Staves when it launched, but that got changed like 5 years ago or something. Also note that Stamina and Magicka contribute to damage too. Including weapon attacks. So Staff damage is calculated between Spell Damage and max Magicka. If you google for it, you will find the exact formulas, but it isn't really necessary. Roughly speaking, they both factor in equally, and about 10 Magicka equals about 1 Spell Damage.Roughly speaking that is. The exact ratio varies between different Abilities. The same is true for stam based attacks, just with Weapon Damage And Max Stamina.

Ah, that makes sense. This is one of my first characters from game launch. Will try to up my crit and magicka. I would really like to keep my staff as strong as possible.

I do a lot of testing on gear sets, like a lot lol... what I have found out is that spell damage is > magicka for damage output, mainly because it takes a lot less spell damage to do the same amount of damage, and spell damage benefits from a couple of large buffs if you use them (which you should)

So 1000 magicka = roughly 100 spell damage and 50 spell damage is roughly a 1% damage increase, you can get 2 easy buffs (major and minor sorcery) for a total of 30% increased spell damage... every 100 spell damage you have is now 130, and 50 spell damage is 1% damage so you get a 0.6% damage increase from the buffs for every 100 spell damage you have.

Okay, gotta step in and comment on this... That's not how math works though! I'm not questioning your results here, or the logic behind your train of thought, just pointing out that percents are fractions of something, not a distinct thing on itself. Well, technically speaking, percents are a ratio, specifically a ratio in relation to 100, but the point here is, that they are always an amount of something else. So if you get a 1% increase, then the question is: "1% of what?" Damage is a fluctuating value, not a constant entity, so 1% increase in damage is like saying 1% increase in banana. What banana? All of them? A bunch? Just a single banana? How big a banana are we talking about here?

Now I do apologize for being pedantic, and do in fact agree on a general level with your findings. These days Spell Power is, according to my findings too, more valuable for raw damage potential than Max Magicka. A lot has changed over the years, and the traditional wisdom of mag builds going for larger resource pool, while stam builds focus on WD, do not necessarily hold true anymore.

The big turning point on this was the introduction of CP 2.0. See, back under the original CP system, investing CP into the trees also gave you a parentage based boost to the relevant stat. So, blue tree gamve you a boost to max Magicka. I think that was like 10% increase at the point it capped out. Combine this with 6% from Undaunted passive, and the 5% from inner light, and 4 or 6 from Magicka Controller (That's +2% per mage guild ability slotted, and back in the day, most everyone had Meteor slotted along with Magelight. Non sorcs often slotted in Degeneration for that Major Sorcery buff too, so that gave non sorcs a +6%. Of course Sorcs had +8% from Bound Aegis so... Didn't matter that much.) And do not forget that race bonuses used to be percentage buffs too, not flat values as they are these days. And a lot of the old META sets buffed max Magicka. People were rocking 55+k values back then. It also made their shields stronger too, since there was no health cap on shield size in those days.

But now, things have shifted. You get 1000 base Spell Damage to start with. CP no longer give % based buffs to stats and META (lol at facebook...) sets do not synergize as well with the mag Magicka route.

Also, do note that the amount that max Magicka contributes to actual damage varies from skill to skill, depending on what its coefficient on that skill actually is, so the actual math is lot trickier. That 1 to 10 ratio is just a rule of thumb, but close enough approximation to give you a sense of its impact, just not the actual value it contributes.

However, the real point behind all this is, that having resources does matter. Max Magicak contributes to your actual damage output, and without resources you wont be using a lot of skills. Like 9k Spell damage and 10k max mag will hit lot more harder than 90k max mag and 1k Spell damage build, but the latter will do lot more damage since they can keep going like an Energizer Bunny, where as the first build will have spent its load after one shot. So a balance between the two is required. Where that balance point lies is a trickier question and depends on your playstyle.

A Heavy Attack build should 'prolly go with emphasizing spell damage over max stat pool and recovery since heavy attacks replenish resources. I run around one one such build that doesn't even reach 30k, maxing out at 29.5k Magicka. But it doesn't matter, the constant heavy attacks keep my resources up, and with a base Spell Damage of 6k, and close to to 8k with buffs and Spell Power glyph proccing. I do plenty of damage as is.

So the end result is, prioritize Spell Damage, but do not ignore max Magicka. Especially if you have a resource intensive multi-skill rotation going.

Now couple of parting points - Of the 5 elements that contribute to actual damage - i.e. Spell Damage, max Magicka, Penetration, crit chance, and crit damage, the one that gives the clearest and most direct results to your over all damage is penetration. But only to a point. Over penetration is wasted, and penetration doesn't help with your heals eitehr. The other factors do. So keep that in mind as well. So to iterate. For organized play, you rarely need more than 7k. Solo play gets by with 9k, and 10k+ values only really make sense in PVP context.

The real moneymaker however, as far as dam is concerned, is getting crits. That is, if you get crits 50% of the time, doing 50% more damage on those hits, over all your damage output goes up by 25%. So if you do 20k, that goes up to 25k. If you do 40k, that goes up to 50k. If you do 60k then that rises to 75k. The point with percentages is, that the bigger the base value they modify, the bigger the end result is gonna be.

That's why getting a crit value up to 50% is so important, but if your base damage is nothing to write home about, then it doesn't really matter. So work on that first, then worry about crit value, and only worry about increasing your crit damage after you got crits on a consistent basis.
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭

Okay, gotta step in and comment on this... That's not how math works though! I'm not questioning your results here, or the logic behind your train of thought, just pointing out that percents are fractions of something, not a distinct thing on itself. Well, technically speaking, percents are a ratio, specifically a ratio in relation to 100, but the point here is, that they are always an amount of something else. So if you get a 1% increase, then the question is: "1% of what?" Damage is a fluctuating value, not a constant entity, so 1% increase in damage is like saying 1% increase in banana. What banana? All of them? A bunch? Just a single banana? How big a banana are we talking about here?

Now I do apologize for being pedantic, and do in fact agree on a general level with your findings. These days Spell Power is, according to my findings too, more valuable for raw damage potential than Max Magicka. A lot has changed over the years, and the traditional wisdom of mag builds going for larger resource pool, while stam builds focus on WD, do not necessarily hold true anymore.

The big turning point on this was the introduction of CP 2.0. See, back under the original CP system, investing CP into the trees also gave you a parentage based boost to the relevant stat. So, blue tree gamve you a boost to max Magicka. I think that was like 10% increase at the point it capped out. Combine this with 6% from Undaunted passive, and the 5% from inner light, and 4 or 6 from Magicka Controller (That's +2% per mage guild ability slotted, and back in the day, most everyone had Meteor slotted along with Magelight. Non sorcs often slotted in Degeneration for that Major Sorcery buff too, so that gave non sorcs a +6%. Of course Sorcs had +8% from Bound Aegis so... Didn't matter that much.) And do not forget that race bonuses used to be percentage buffs too, not flat values as they are these days. And a lot of the old META sets buffed max Magicka. People were rocking 55+k values back then. It also made their shields stronger too, since there was no health cap on shield size in those days.

But now, things have shifted. You get 1000 base Spell Damage to start with. CP no longer give % based buffs to stats and META (lol at facebook...) sets do not synergize as well with the mag Magicka route.

Also, do note that the amount that max Magicka contributes to actual damage varies from skill to skill, depending on what its coefficient on that skill actually is, so the actual math is lot trickier. That 1 to 10 ratio is just a rule of thumb, but close enough approximation to give you a sense of its impact, just not the actual value it contributes.

However, the real point behind all this is, that having resources does matter. Max Magicak contributes to your actual damage output, and without resources you wont be using a lot of skills. Like 9k Spell damage and 10k max mag will hit lot more harder than 90k max mag and 1k Spell damage build, but the latter will do lot more damage since they can keep going like an Energizer Bunny, where as the first build will have spent its load after one shot. So a balance between the two is required. Where that balance point lies is a trickier question and depends on your playstyle.

A Heavy Attack build should 'prolly go with emphasizing spell damage over max stat pool and recovery since heavy attacks replenish resources. I run around one one such build that doesn't even reach 30k, maxing out at 29.5k Magicka. But it doesn't matter, the constant heavy attacks keep my resources up, and with a base Spell Damage of 6k, and close to to 8k with buffs and Spell Power glyph proccing. I do plenty of damage as is.

So the end result is, prioritize Spell Damage, but do not ignore max Magicka. Especially if you have a resource intensive multi-skill rotation going.

Now couple of parting points - Of the 5 elements that contribute to actual damage - i.e. Spell Damage, max Magicka, Penetration, crit chance, and crit damage, the one that gives the clearest and most direct results to your over all damage is penetration. But only to a point. Over penetration is wasted, and penetration doesn't help with your heals eitehr. The other factors do. So keep that in mind as well. So to iterate. For organized play, you rarely need more than 7k. Solo play gets by with 9k, and 10k+ values only really make sense in PVP context.

The real moneymaker however, as far as dam is concerned, is getting crits. That is, if you get crits 50% of the time, doing 50% more damage on those hits, over all your damage output goes up by 25%. So if you do 20k, that goes up to 25k. If you do 40k, that goes up to 50k. If you do 60k then that rises to 75k. The point with percentages is, that the bigger the base value they modify, the bigger the end result is gonna be.

That's why getting a crit value up to 50% is so important, but if your base damage is nothing to write home about, then it doesn't really matter. So work on that first, then worry about crit value, and only worry about increasing your crit damage after you got crits on a consistent basis.

Pretty sure you just repeated everything I said and worded it slightly differently lol...

As far as the "math not working" its not an exact figure no, but its a baseline, 1% damage from 660 pen, or 50 spell damage or 500 magicka... I mean we can delve deeper into that and say 'well that 1% doesnt calculate the fact that to gain pen you lost spell damage so you lost (x)% damage from (x) spell damage to gain (x)% damage from (x) spell pen'... but I was trying to just simplify it down to a rough figure, so the math checks out, its just not exact and doesnt break eveything down to the exact science behind it
    Edited by Kryptonite_Kent on October 29, 2021 4:53PM
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I followed guides, videos, comments etc. but I didn't apply any of these and decided to make some weird heavy attack build instead with no crits and huge hp pool. I wonder why am I not doing good damage.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your self pen is way too much and your crit is incredibly low.

Crit should be around 50-60 self buffed. If not, you aren’t doing damage in pve.

Focus on sets that give lines of crit versus anything else.

Edit: health is also way too high (should shoot for 18-22k range). And primary stat is pretty low (should be at least be around 30k)

Question:

Crit is a %, so increasing this will increase the chance to crit, but not the damage.
    Or is an attacked based on the number of crits in a certain time which increases over all damage?

Did that questions make sense?

Thanks,Tanks,
    Z
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

Crit should be around 50-60 self buffed. If not, you aren’t doing damage in pve.

Edit: health is also way too high (should shoot for 18-22k range). And primary stat is pretty low (should be at least be around 30k)

Question:

Crit is a %, so increasing this will increase the chance to crit, but not the damage.
    Or is an attacked based on the number of crits in a certain time which increases over all damage?

Thanks,Tanks,
    Z

There are 2 separate stats: Critical Chance and Critical Damage.

Critical Chance simply increases your chance to crit.
    Critical Damage affects how much extra damage you deal when you crit.

So let's say one of your skills deals 100 damage and your critical chance is %30 and your critical damage is %70.

Then every time you deal damage with that skill, there is a 30% chance that it will deal 170 damage instead of 100.
    Edited by MrBrownstone on November 1, 2021 5:37PM
  • Kryptonite_Kent
    Kryptonite_Kent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

Question:

Thanks,Tanks,
    Z

Crit chance is basically a damage increase over a longer duration fight... in a short fight crit chance is worth a lot less because you may only get off a few hits... in a long duration fight crit chance becomes more reliable because percentages rely on a large pool of repetitions to be reliable if that makes sense.

So lets say you have a 50% crit chance... you run up and hit a bad guy 1 time, you may notice a crit, you may not... you hit him 5 times, maybe you only see 1 crit, does that mean your crit chance isnt working? No, because you need a lot of hits and long duration to start seeing where 50% of your hits are critting... the larger the amount of hits over a longer period will stabilize your crit hits, a shorter fight with only a few hits may all be crits or none.

Thats why crit chance is important for boss fights, its a long duration fight with a lot of hits.
    Former Emperor
    Kenobi Wan -AD- Magsorc
  • Tigertron
    Tigertron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some good info in this thread and some bad. But it should be pointed out that animation canceling and weaving are two separate things. Don’t even worry about animation canceling it’s more an advanced tactic.

Weaving is queuing up two abilities inside the global cooldown. Global cooldown is one second. This means you do an ability like a light attack and now you have one second before the next ability can fire but you can queue up a second ability to auto fire right after the first. The trick here is it fires the last ability you queued.

So a LA-spell-LA in a one second window is LA-LA the spell won’t fire. You canceled it with the LA.

Maybe you already know this but if you can space you skills (spells and attacks) by 800ms you will get more damage done as the ability will fire as soon as GCD is over.

If you are on PC there are plenty of addons to help get the timing correct. If not you just have to get a cadence. It’s actually very slow. Some people think you have to hit the keys as fast as you can but that is not correct. It’s hitting the correct keys at the correct time and it’s real close to a music beat.
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving this thread so far. It makes my brain hurt, but I love the info that's flying around!
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Tigertron wrote: »
    Some good info in this thread and some bad. But it should be pointed out that animation canceling and weaving are two separate things. Don’t even worry about animation canceling it’s more an advanced tactic.

Weaving is queuing up two abilities inside the global cooldown. Global cooldown is one second. This means you do an ability like a light attack and now you have one second before the next ability can fire but you can queue up a second ability to auto fire right after the first. The trick here is it fires the last ability you queued.

So a LA-spell-LA in a one second window is LA-LA the spell won’t fire. You canceled it with the LA.

Maybe you already know this but if you can space you skills (spells and attacks) by 800ms you will get more damage done as the ability will fire as soon as GCD is over.

If you are on PC there are plenty of addons to help get the timing correct. If not you just have to get a cadence. It’s actually very slow. Some people think you have to hit the keys as fast as you can but that is not correct. It’s hitting the correct keys at the correct time and it’s real close to a music beat.

One correction, it's not about "hitting keys", but about when the keys/buttons are "released".
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Better Flaming Nix in Mournhold - it costs 13k? and you have nice access to all guilds and Rollo Hlaalu. Bank is kinda annoying though.

ESO is really simple in the math.

From you char you have 1000 dmg, from weapon 1350 (from Dual, 2h or Nirnhorned ca. 1,5k) from infused jewelry you can get 3x274, from racial 258, so can have around 3,3k.

Use brutality and sorcery and get 4k.

Use 64 points in magicka & stamina, full stamina/magicka glyph on armour and lava/ghastly food and you should have around 30k.

This mean that your basic dmg for skills would be 4k+30k/10, so around 7k. Add to this LA weaving that should be around 5k, and you have 12k dps.

Of course if you have no penalty in penetration.

Add the basic crit, with 10% chance and 50% crit dmg, you will add only around 5% to your attacks, so around 600 dmg on average (1 shot with 18k and 9 with basic 12k). Add Prophecy or whatever stamina have and you have additional 10% crit chance, so you would have around 20% x 50%, so 10% increase of dps, by 1200. Add minor force and you have 20% x 60, so 12% increase, with two shots for 19200 and 8 for 12k, so around 13-14k dps.

Use weapon glyph and get additional 600 dmg, which could increase your dmg lets say up to 15k, because it will boost both: skills & LA.

With these stats, your dots should hit about 1k per second, so cast 3 (usually) and get 18k dps, not including crits.

Now, add CP with 10% to at least one aspect per skill and you got 20k.

Of course this hero is completely naked, he has only jewelry and maul for penetration. Good dmg set will give you around 1k with buffs, good crit set around 12% crit chance, the best trial sets will boost your dmg by 10-15%, and of course in optimized group you will have plenty of bonuses. All of that leads to dmg around 80k and more ;)
  • Fizzyapple
    Fizzyapple
    ✭✭✭

One correction, it's not about "hitting keys", but about when the keys/buttons are "released".

Interestingly a lot of people don't know that.

Anyway, the number one stat that adds to damage is penetration and your number one priority as a DD is to reach the penetration cap for whatever content you are doing.. Number one priority forsaking all other things except calling your mother and feeding your dog... :) for dungeons that is 18.2k. This should only ever include the buffs and debuffs you are certain without question will always be on your target. The biggest fallacy in this game is that a tank will always magically reduce the armor of every target you are looking at by 10k.

If your going into a dungeon with 7k pen you're not going to ever find yourself at the top of the DD pile (not a bad thing honestly).

My suggestion is to make a soul bond with your tank that gives you control their mind. Ideally this will be a situation where the (now your) tank has absolutely nothing that needs or will ever need their attention other than you and your target.. Naturally. Once that is in place you should be all set on pen! :)

Kidding aside a good DD needs to come prepared for situations (and there are too many to list) where they will have to provide the full 18k pen alone.

Solo you just need to figure that out.. 10k pen is like a nice summer breeze. Solo dungeons and against your Ogrim or any other 3/6m dummy you need to double it to 18.2k first priority.. and yes, over pen is wasted but underpen is worse.. by far.

I encourage you to not listen to me though and do your own thing.

Edited by Fizzyapple on May 9, 2022 10:10AM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of penetration. I get that overland mobs have about 9k resists and that group dungeon bosses have about 18k. What about overland WBs? What about group dungeon trash mobs? Anyone know?
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lots and lots of good advice here and enough to keep you busy for some time. I would also add that stacking DoTs is the bread and butter. On my magplar main for PvE, I get 4 spammables in per rotation. One thing I see a lot of players doing is just spamming one or two abilities thinking just because it hits the hardest in a given second, it must be best to be used. Not the case. Also, light attacks account for about 20% of your damage after you get maelstrom flame staff for backbar. If you right attack animation canceling isn't working as intended, you'll never reach ideal numbers. A quick YouTube search will explain and show it to you easily.
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You stop changing everything and stick to a solid build and practice. That’s it.