Maintenance for the week of March 4:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 4
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 4, 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• NA megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EST (17:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – March 6, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 6, 12:00AM EST (5:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EST (23:00 UTC)

Channelled abilities?

LogicOfLiam
LogicOfLiam
✭✭✭
I've been trying to figure out what abilities are channelled, I read people's discussions and most of the people don't know and they say very confusing things, or they say the wrong things.

More specifically on my bars I use Hurricane, Poison injection, caltrops, endless hail, one of the lightning splash morphs and the dual blade dot. Are any of these 'channelled' or are they not?
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on December 10, 2023 4:20AM
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    @LogicOfLiam not in game right now but pretty sure a skills tool tip will tell you, if it says instant obviously its instant cast if it has a duration then its a channel ability.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go the the skill menu or eso skill browser. Literally first position in description will tell you about cast time or channeling time ;)
    Edited by Ippokrates on October 20, 2021 7:35AM
  • LogicOfLiam
    LogicOfLiam
    ✭✭✭
    Camb0Sl1ce wrote: »
    @LogicOfLiam not in game right now but pretty sure a skills tool tip will tell you, if it says instant obviously its instant cast if it has a duration then its a channel ability.

Okay, so a duration is a channel. See I was unsure of this because people online were saying it has to say channel itself and others were saying its abilities thay do their own thing over time.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's only a few channeled skills in the game. Templar jabs, channeled acceleration, Jesus beam, and I want to say dark flare, dark deal/conversion and possibly snipe. There might be a handful more, but most skills are not channels.
  • Camb0Sl1ce
    Camb0Sl1ce
    ✭✭✭
    @LogicOfLiam some do say channel I think, but pretty much yea if there is a duration instead of saying instant then its a channel. As far as abilities doing their own thing over time, thats probably a damage over time ability. Kinda like something sticking to the enemy and damage ticks over a duration.
  • runa_gate
    runa_gate
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »
    Go the the skill menu or eso skill browser. Literally first position in description will tell you about cast time or channeling time ;)

This is the only correct statement in this thread.

A "channeled" skill is one which has a casting time. Some are explicitly stated to be channels, but not all.

I've had a templar using soul strike, biting jabs, radiant glory, etc. with soulshine and light of cyrodiil sets for about 7 years.

These sets are based on channeled abilities. More recently I added channeled acceleration from the psijiic skill line due to the passive Deliberation:

"While you are casting or channeling a Psijic Order ability you gain Major Protection, reducing your damage taken by 10%"

Meditate and it's morphs are also channeled skills.

No skill you mentioned that you use has a casting time. The passive dual blade's DoT most assuredly is not.
  • Callosum
    Callosum
    ✭✭✭
    Camb0Sl1ce wrote: »

Okay, so a duration is a channel. See I was unsure of this because people online were saying it has to say channel itself and others were saying its abilities thay do their own thing over time.

No, that is wrong. A duration does not mean that he skill is channeled. Channeled abilities are skills such as biting jabs or flurry, their tooltips will tell you that they are channeled.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's only a few channeled skills in the game. Templar jabs, channeled acceleration, Jesus beam, and I want to say dark flare, dark deal/conversion and possibly snipe. There might be a handful more, but most skills are not channels.
    Dark flare and snipe is not channeled, they just have an cast time.
    Lighting staff medium and heavy attack I believe is channeled.

And as some pointed out meditate is channeled but not an attack :)

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • LogicOfLiam
    LogicOfLiam
    ✭✭✭
    runa_gate wrote: »

This is the only correct statement in this thread.

A "channeled" skill is one which has a casting time. Some are explicitly stated to be channels, but not all.

I've had a templar using soul strike, biting jabs, radiant glory, etc. with soulshine and light of cyrodiil sets for about 7 years.

These sets are based on channeled abilities. More recently I added channeled acceleration from the psijiic skill line due to the passive Deliberation:

"While you are casting or channeling a Psijic Order ability you gain Major Protection, reducing your damage taken by 10%"

Meditate and it's morphs are also channeled skills.

No skill you mentioned that you use has a casting time. The passive dual blade's DoT most assuredly is not.

'This is the only correct statement in this thread.' This is why I've been getting confused some people say Dots and AoEs are channelled.

Okay so a skill that does something a second or 2 after using. Cast time - 1 sec would be a channel.

Thank you for this explanation I fully understand now (I think lol).
  • LogicOfLiam
    LogicOfLiam
    ✭✭✭

Yes friend I am aware of that, but my confusion was based on people in other feeds saying that duration was a channel too. Fanx friend 😉
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, check this discussion: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/574772/attack-damage-types-a-request-for-zos
    There is an excellent spreadsheet picture there (bigger image https://prnt.sc/14iv2v4)
    PC EU
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO can be a little inconsistent at times, but "channeled" generally means the skill begins doing stuff immediately, skill continues doing stuff for a period of time, and you cannot do anything else while skill is doing stuff. There are not that many of them. I don't think any of the things you listed would count. They are just normal DoTs (Damage Over Time), where you cast them and they do damage for a period of time, but you are free to do other stuff while they are active.

They key aspect of channeled skills seems to be that you are "locked" into them and can't do anything else while they are active.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes friend I am aware of that, but my confusion was based on people in other feeds saying that duration was a channel too. Fanx friend 😉

I understand, some people talking nonsence ;)

The best way to recognize "channeled" abilities apart from description, are "ticks" that are done, but only when your char is busy with the skill.

Jabs have 4 hits during 1 sec.
    Radiant Oppression have 3 during 1,8 sec.
    Rite of Passage - i am not sure, but it could around 6-8 ticks.
    Flurry - 5 ticks within 0,6 sec.
    Rapid Fire - not sure either but around 4-6 within 4 sec.
    Soul Strike - no idea ;p
    Vampiric Drain - as above ;)
    Time Stop - you just need to complete ritual to get the effect.
    Also, HA of lightning staff, i believe.

I think that is all.

Now, if you have instant, you are shooting immediately.

If you have cast time, you are shooting with delay but you can miss the target or withdraw the skill with roll - nothing will happen then. Most notable example, Dawnbreaker.

Dots or hots are simple skills that works on others, so once you cast them, they work and you can do other things, while they are still doing their job.

BUT if you are channeling, it means you need to keep your char busy - you cannot do anything else, maybe except running, like with Rapid Fire, but if you do anything else, like roll or block, you automatically cancel your channel and losing "ticks". Best example: jabs - if you are going for DPS, you can cancel animation exactly after 4 hit, the one with leg :p and immediately do LA, but if you will do it a fraction of second too early, you will lose a tick, and make 3 hits instead of 4.
    Edited by Ippokrates on October 20, 2021 10:51AM
  • The_Wunderboy
    The only things considered Channeled that I am aware of that don't specifically say Channeled in the Duration tooltip are Resto and Lightning HA, along with Mend Wounds from Psijic (not looking right now but believe it is toggled, but when using is Channeled).
    Edited by The_Wunderboy on October 20, 2021 2:01PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skills that are channeled will specifically say they are. Templar's Jabs for example are channeled as well as abilities like Stop Time, Vampiric Drain, Soul Strike, the Bow ultimate, Channeled Acceleration, Meditate, and other such abilities. Basically, they're abilities you drop everything you're doing to cast and animation cancelling them unlike other abilities will stop them from working or cut off their effects early.

Edit: Also non-melee channeled non-ultimate abilities can be interrupted. If you're interrupted while channeling such an ability you will be knocked off balance, stunned, and the ability put on a short cooldown.
    Edited by Vevvev on October 20, 2021 2:44PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please understand that a skill with a casting time or duration of effect over time is NOT the same as channeled skill.

Channeled skills list "Channel Time" in their tooltip. You can do no other skills or light/heavy attacks while channeling. The effect of the Channeled skill happens DURING the channel time.
    • Example, Templar Radiant Destruction, 1.8 second channel time
    • Example, Templar Puncturing Sweep, 0.8 second channel time
    • Example, Arcanist Pragmatic Fatecarver, 4.5 second channel time

Non-channeled skills will list "Cast Time" in their tool tip. Often, they are instant, but some have a cast time. Like a channeled skill, you cannot do other skills or attacks during the cast time. The effect of the skill with a cast time happens AFTER the cast time.
    • Example, Psijic Order Channeled Acceleration, 1.3 second cast time *
    • Example, Arcanist Cephaliarch's Flail, 0.3 second cast time
    • Example, Destruction Staff Unstable Wall, Instant cast time

----

Completely unrelated to channel/non-channel is whether a skill works over time, such as a damage-over-time, heal-over-time, or buff/debuff-over time. These 'over-time' skills typically list "Duration" in their tooltip. The Duration is unrelated to the Cast time.

* yeah, I know, that skill has the word Channeled in its name, but it is NOT a channeled skill. It is a non-channeled skill that has a cast time and applies buffs-over-time.

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, HA of lightning staff, i believe.

Lightning and Resto both have fully channeled heavies, yes. The last tick was finally fixed to count as channeled this year so it is entirely buffed by Deadly Strike now.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an October 2021 thread. . . .
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I was wondering why there was no mention of Arcanist’s fatecarver and then I saw the date…
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And yet somehow "what is a channeled ability" is an evergreen question...
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

We've closed this thread given its age and it was an active discussion back in 2021. If you wish to continue discussing this topic please create a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.