The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

Change Grim Focus back to crit damage

Ezorus
Ezorus
✭✭✭
Seriously stop nerfing it!!!
Nightblades whole skill set, role and class identity is getting in doing burst and getting out! We have reliable ways of getting critical strikes we need critical damage (cap or no cap).

Per stack: 2% crit damage is better than 1% weapon damage which is better than 60 flat damage

The new change is another nerf, you are only getting 300 damage max. Which is only helpful if when weapon damage is less than 6000. Most of the time its way higher and very easy to get there
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the crit nerf, this change is better for nightblade. I personally liked the damage done change more than the weapon damage. However, while damage done only boost damage, weapon/spell damage cab boost healing too. This chanfe will make the skill viable for tanks and healer.
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ezorus wrote: »
    Nightblades whole skill set, role and class identity is getting in doing burst and getting out!
    From what century are you, stranger ? Stacking bow for 5s for getting a chance to fire it into roll-dodge is far away from MUH BURST
    The new change is another nerf, you are only getting 300 damage max. Which is only helpful if when weapon damage is less than 6000. Most of the time its way higher and very easy to get there
    Nobody cares about stam gankers since they are already annoying as they are
    Edited by Andre_Noir on October 12, 2021 11:08AM
  • Rebiludo
    Rebiludo
    ✭✭✭
    I really prefer the new grim focus with 300 WD/SD
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a blade main it's fine for both stam and mag. Can be a buff and a nerf for a different specs and setups but overall it doesn't change much, nightblade could better use some help in other departments.
  • Ezorus
    Ezorus
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the crit nerf, this change is better for nightblade. I personally liked the damage done change more than the weapon damage. However, while damage done only boost damage, weapon/spell damage cab boost healing too. This chanfe will make the skill viable for tanks and healer.

Not really 120% is still hard to get, and the buffs to achieve it can be dropped rom elsewhere, gear/mundus. We can have 100% crit chance so any nerf to max crit damage or this new change dropping weapon damage is yet another impactful nerf. Especially against shield, streak spamming sorcs, over healing Temps and tanky af DKs
  • ankeor
    ankeor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
  • angelofdeath333
    angelofdeath333
    ✭✭✭
    Might aswell use malacath on everything soon....
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On my magblade I prefer the 300 spell damage in pvp. On my stamblade that I use for soloing.. I would prefer the crit damage. For group pve... I think the 5% damage would be best.

So it really depends on your game mode and build. With the new crit cap I think it's okay that it doesn't boost crit damage anymore.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will most likely cut it from the bars completely in PvP. Makes it easier decision to throw it off :)
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nightblades whole skill set, role and class identity is getting in doing burst and getting out! We have reliable ways of getting critical strikes we need critical damage (cap or no cap).

Per stack: 2% crit damage is better than 1% weapon damage which is better than 60 flat damage

The 300 SD/WD is a little bit of a nerf in terms of damage, but it is a buff to healing, so really it is a wash for overall power. Keep in mind there is also major and minor sorcery and brutality that will directly buff this number, and that is before all your CP damage bonuses come into play, so it is probably not as big of a nerf as you think it is.

What I think is hilarious is that the skill originally gave Minor Berserk (8% more damage at the time) then they removed that because they thought it made Nightblades too powerful, only to give them mitigation, only to change it to crit damage, only to change it back to giving direct damage again, and now it is going to give spell damage and weapon damage. The combat team seems to be having a hard time figuring out what to do with this skill. Maybe next patch they will change it back to mitigation again so we can go full circle again? :smile:

Playing since beta...
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kojou wrote: »

What I think is hilarious is that the skill originally gave Minor Berserk (8% more damage at the time) then they removed that because they thought it made Nightblades too powerful, only to give them mitigation, only to change it to crit damage, only to change it back to giving direct damage again, and now it is going to give spell damage and weapon damage. The combat team seems to be having a hard time figuring out what to do with this skill. Maybe next patch they will change it back to mitigation again so we can go full circle again? :smile:

Well, for years now Nightblades have been defined by their access to powerful buffs and debuffs.
    Since the devs have been trying to re-define and standardize buffs, debuffs and how stats function, it's only natural Nightblade has to change.

"According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not really 120% is still hard to get, and the buffs to achieve it can be dropped rom elsewhere, gear/mundus. We can have 100% crit chance so any nerf to max crit damage or this new change dropping weapon damage is yet another impactful nerf. Especially against shield, streak spamming sorcs, over healing Temps and tanky af DKs

It's actually pretty easy to get to the new cap on crit damage. It's why it was capped in the first place.
  • Foxtrot39
    Foxtrot39
    ✭✭✭✭
    keep in mind the tooltip doesn't tell you its take into accoutn the base 50% crit modifier, yo uactually hit the cap at 75% on the stat screen
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a straight buff, no debate.
    1. You don't want to be closer to crit damage cap when you're already 10% closer via NB passives and raw damage is basically the same thing as it increases the damage you'll do when you crit.
    2. Shadow Mundus gives 11% crit damage/healing and Warrior gives 238 weapon damage. Considering Shadow is only 10% stronger than the original Grim Focus' 10%, it stands to reason you should get a trade of 10% on the Warrior mundus stone which is a total of 262, yet 300 is given to Grim Focus. So even from a mathematical standpoint based on equivilant exchange amongst Mundus stones, you're getting more value out of the new Grim Focus than you were before with crit damage/healing.
    3. Same exchange comparison can be done with Swords vs Axes, you're again getting more here.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nah.
    • In Q2 2022 it will give +2% gold gain per stack
    • In Q4 2022 it will boost damage from behind the target
    • In Q1 2023 it will let you teleport 5 feet per stack
    • In Q3 2023 it will snare and make a silly noise
    • Finally in Q1 2024 it will give damage mitigation
    PC NA
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The 300 SD/WD is a little bit of a nerf in terms of damage, but it is a buff to healing, so really it is a wash for overall power. Keep in mind there is also major and minor sorcery and brutality that will directly buff this number, and that is before all your CP damage bonuses come into play, so it is probably not as big of a nerf as you think it is.

It's went through those changes because the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Every day someone is complaining about getting killed by a NB. I'm sure they even get in game complaints via support.

I've tried to teach people how to not get knifed just to cut down on it but everyone wants to just run around spamming attacks or blindly sitting on siege without worrying about getting hit.

Either way, NBs adapt.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly with the new cap it's better to have 300 WD/SD than 10% crit dmg
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • Ezorus
    Ezorus
    ✭✭✭
    1. You don't want to be closer to crit damage cap when you're already 10% closer via NB passives and raw damage is basically the same thing as it increases the damage you'll do when you crit.
    2. Shadow Mundus gives 11% crit damage/healing and Warrior gives 238 weapon damage. Considering Shadow is only 10% stronger than the original Grim Focus' 10%, it stands to reason you should get a trade of 10% on the Warrior mundus stone which is a total of 262, yet 300 is given to Grim Focus. So even from a mathematical standpoint based on equivilant exchange amongst Mundus stones, you're getting more value out of the new Grim Focus than you were before with crit damage/healing.
    3. Same exchange comparison can be done with Swords vs Axes, you're again getting more here.

No and No. This is less weapon damage than the 1% weapon damage per stack that didn't even make it to live.

Healing is no way helpful to Nightblades to burst kill. We have escape abilities.. more healing for a dps class is not an equal trade off.

Besides there's already too much damn self healing in the game on other classes, you can't catch a squishy NB atm let alone one that can self heal to full in one cloak
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No and No. This is less weapon damage than the 1% weapon damage per stack that didn't even make it to live.

Healing is no way helpful to Nightblades to burst kill. We have escape abilities.. more healing for a dps class is not an equal trade off.

Besides there's already too much damn self healing in the game on other classes, you can't catch a squishy NB atm let alone one that can self heal to full in one cloak

Somehow I feel you're not a NB but someone who don't like this change because of bolded part of your statement.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

On NB with Major Brutality and 5 medium and no other buff only way 60 WD is worse than 1% WD is if you are packing 10140 WD buffed by these buffs. How common is that.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »

On NB with Major Brutality and 5 medium and no other buff only way 60 WD is worse than 1% WD is if you are packing 10140 WD buffed by these buffs. How common is that.

The original change wasn't 1% WD per stack, it was 1% "damage done." So if you take a skill with a 10k & add 5 stacks, it would get bumped up to 10,500. The 5% was applied before crits too, so you'd get an even bigger boost if you crit.

I'm not entirely sure which one of those is better tbh. The "5% damage done" probably did more damage, but it didn't affect healing at all. (Of course the amount of healing you get from 60-300 WD isn't particularly earth shattering.)

In any case, I think I'd prefer the 10% crit the way it was before because it's burstier, and I mostly play PVP where burst is how you get kills. The crit heals were nice too.
  • Tigertron
    Tigertron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Foxtrot39 wrote: »
    keep in mind the tooltip doesn't tell you its take into accoutn the base 50% crit modifier, yo uactually hit the cap at 75% on the stat screen

I am surprised at how many don't realize this fact. It is very easy to hit cap on a nightblade. Add in war horn and your leaving dps on the ground since a big chunk comes from passives and armor. I would have to wear heavy or light gear, but the gear I need comes in medium. That leaves only the head and shoulder. Not worth the hassle of different weights for group, vet and solo.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not all Nightblades are gankbuilds.
  • The_Wunderboy
    Andre_Noir wrote: »
    Nightblades whole skill set, role and class identity is getting in doing burst and getting out!
    From what century are you, stranger ? Stacking bow for 5s for getting a chance to fire it into roll-dodge is far away from MUH BURST

The skill works in melee as well stranger, and with a quick dodgeroll into the proc, the telltale telegraph is gone. What century you from where this is a bad skill only for gankers? Must be wearing dark convergence.
  • SoulwayFilth
    Andre_Noir wrote: »

The skill works in melee as well stranger, and with a quick dodgeroll into the proc, the telltale telegraph is gone. What century you from where this is a bad skill only for gankers? Must be wearing dark convergence.

And ofcourse it would be telegraphed if you are only trying to hit LA for proc. Never mind you have an array of other skills & movements to mask proc. CC, Ults, Roll Dodges, Blocks.

Is it hard to hit all the time against good players?
    Yes, but thats why they are good players. Bow proc hits harder than my ult, so some mechanic to make it difficult to hit is balance right?

Though decrease in travel time would be nice.