The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

[PvE] Fix ranged sneak attacks

Ethoir
Ethoir
✭✭✭
To be clear, this post is about the PvE sneak attack mechanic only.

Ranged sneak attacks, at least with a bow, have been "broken" for at least four months if not longer. When will it be fixed?

If I use a ranged sneak attack against an NPC (that isn't a boss), wither it is light, heavy, or even a Snipe, and it hits but isn't enough to kill them, it should stun them. Only it doesn't. Melee sneak attacks still stun, so why can't ranged?

This has been going on for a few months now. So are there any updates on it? Is this just a low priority issue? Is this now the "intended" behavior?

I say this because stealth is a major aspect of one of my ranged PvE builds and I have no idea what ranged abilities can stun from sneak.

Edited by Ethoir on September 24, 2021 4:19PM
Participant in the Sanguine's Tester beta group since November 2013.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Those notes do not explicitly say that the stun on ranged sneak attacks was removed. It only mentions that magical and physical melee attacks can now properly stun the target.

The problem seems to be that they didn't specifically say in the Blackwood notes that ranged stuns were removed. So this doesn't feel like an intended change to me.
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭
    Fixed an issue where the guaranteed Critical Strike and bonus damage from attacks made while hidden in crouch would fail on many attacks. It will now properly grant a guaranteed Critical Strike on your next Direct Damage attack, deal 46% bonus damage if a Ranged attack (now Magical and Martial, rather than only Martial), 275% bonus damage if a Melee attack (Magical and Martial, rather than only Martial), and Stun the target on Martial or Magical melee attacks.

^ This basically says that both physical and magical melee attacks can stun PvE enemies now, not that ranged sneak attack stuns had been removed. Unless I am missing something...