The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PSA: Elemental Succession

Jodynn
Jodynn
✭✭✭✭✭
Elemental Succession: This set now grants its bonuses randomly per element when you deal any source of Flame, Frost, or Shock Damage, rather than firing each bonus independently per element.

Zos, I think you are missing the mark here

Let's not talk about PvP because of three reasons
1.) Silks of the sun and friends give spell critical which isn't the desired stat in PvP so you're already losing there
2.) Elemental damage gives you no healing output, so the 5 piece bonus is pretty much avoided anyways
3.) Almost no defensive measures really so you are limited on what you can build around.

So let's talk PvE

Ele Succ gives TWO lines of Maximum Magicka, this is NOT desired.

So the buff it gives you an extra 92 elemental damage but RANDOMLY now.

But the crit percent is more important than max magicka so the 92 elemental damage is more or less ALREADY balanced.

Now theoretically let's say you had to pick between these two sets currently

If you are MagDK you could pick silks of the sun because Elemental succession is no longer viable due to it's randomness
If you are necromancer you can gamble and hope you get all three

But still, you won't buff magic damage so...

Throw them both away and pick a better set because for them to be powerful enough for you to use just one element silks of the sun would have to give you AT LEAST 600 fire damage, and elemental succession would need to be consistent not random with even more damage because it has TWO lines of maximum magicka which scales poorly.

This set annoys me on LIVE because it's not worth using, but after this I'll decon all the pieces I have.
Edited by Jodynn on September 20, 2021 8:50PM
Jodynn PC NA
PvE and PvP MagDK
The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elemental Succession clearly isn’t working as just a damage type buff set. Let it be unique like this:

Current
    (2 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    (3 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage
    (4 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
    (5 items) Whenever you deal Flame, Shock, or Frost Damage, you gain 492 Spell Damage for that element for 4 seconds. Each effect can occur every 4 seconds, and multiple effects can be active at once.

New
    (2 items) Adds 657 Critical Chance
    (3 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage and Spell Damage
    (4 items) Adds 657 Critical Chance
    (5 items) Whenever you deal Flame, Shock, or Frost Damage, the respective element gains 450 Spell Damage and 300% status effect damage for 4 seconds. Multiple effects can be active at once.

No cooldown.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jodynn wrote: »
    Elemental Succession: This set now grants its bonuses randomly per element when you deal any source of Flame, Frost, or Shock Damage, rather than firing each bonus independently per element.

1.) Silks of the sun and friends give spell critical which isn't the desired stat in PvP so you're already losing there
    2.) Elemental damage gives you no healing output, so the 5 piece bonus is pretty much avoided anyways
    3.) Almost no defensive measures really so you are limited on what you can build around.

So let's talk PvE

But the crit percent is more important than max magicka so the 92 elemental damage is more or less ALREADY balanced.

If you are MagDK you could pick silks of the sun because Elemental succession is no longer viable due to it's randomness

Throw them both away and pick a better set because for them to be powerful enough for you to use just one element silks of the sun would have to give you AT LEAST 600 fire damage, and elemental succession would need to be consistent not random with even more damage because it has TWO lines of maximum magicka which scales poorly.

This set annoys me on LIVE because it's not worth using, but after this I'll decon all the pieces I have.

Funny thing is, this new change is actualy the original state of the set. Not sure why zos decided to revert the set to its old form, because the old version was change to the live version because people didn't like the random proc chance and never bothered to use the set. Now it is going to be a waste...again.
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jodynn wrote: »

So let's talk PvE

Funny thing is, this new change is actualy the original state of the set. Not sure why zos decided to revert the set to its old form, because the old version was change to the live version because people didn't like the random proc chance and never bothered to use the set. Now it is going to be a waste...again.

I remember when that happened.

Now this set is only useful on MAYBE MagNecro.
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • VixxVexx
    VixxVexx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the time is takes to farm an inferno, this change is ridiculous. (Maelstrom drops 6 sets for some reason).

This set went from a bsw alternative to garbage never-to-be-used.
  • Jamdarius
    Jamdarius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    W8 what they are nerfing Elemental Succession?! Oh just great... They made another valid set be deconstructing material.

What's the point to even use that set anyone? Sure it was better than Silks of the Suns in terms of pure element buff, but you have forgotten that it actually takes some time to farm this set, it is locked in MA/vMA and now it's just trash. Guess I am glad I made sure to keep old sets on pack mule characters... I just farmed all the pieces during Year one celebration and look at that soon after it gets completely useless...
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VixxVexx wrote: »
    Considering the time is takes to farm an inferno, this change is ridiculous. (Maelstrom drops 6 sets for some reason).

This set went from a bsw alternative to garbage never-to-be-used.

I farmed over 60 times during the orsinium event to get it when it was better for Khajiit so the fact it got nerfed with the "set balances" which really means sine they overlook the fact it has two lines of max magicka it's just not worth using on live, now it's just a trash set completely on pts.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At least farming it will be easier. :smile:
    Playing since beta...
  • Eliahnus
    Eliahnus
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Elemental Succession ...

I farmed this set during the event and improved the complete set to golden, only to have to deconstuct it because it' s garbage now.

I cannot believe you do this, you are ruining your own game.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This was one of my favorite sets on both magRomancer and magDK and now it's just another dead set.

Who comes up with these ideas? Do they actually play the game?
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamdarius wrote: »
    W8 what they are nerfing Elemental Succession?! Oh just great... They made another valid set be deconstructing material.

What's the point to even use that set anyone? Sure it was better than Silks of the Suns in terms of pure element buff, but you have forgotten that it actually takes some time to farm this set, it is locked in MA/vMA and now it's just trash. Guess I am glad I made sure to keep old sets on pack mule characters... I just farmed all the pieces during Year one celebration and look at that soon after it gets completely useless...

Yeah they want us to use the dogwater netch and ysgramor's birthright even though those sets are not only meh at best, but especially ysgramor's birthright has only 3 viable frost damage skills? One of which is unstable wall of frost which is still easily beaten by unstable wall of fire.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Jamdarius
    Jamdarius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamdarius wrote: »

Yeah they want us to use the dogwater netch and ysgramor's birthright even though those sets are not only meh at best, but especially ysgramor's birthright has only 3 viable frost damage skills? One of which is unstable wall of frost which is still easily beaten by unstable wall of fire.

Agreed, they also forgot that some players liked to use it on Frost Dens, and Fire DK builds instead of BSW (because BSW has cool down). It was never really about it being better or worse than for example Silks of the Sun/ysgramor it was about it being worthy set reward for doing over and over MA and vMA to get the set... Now it feels like pretty random nerf for the sake of making us mad...
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could have also been paired with Sun/Netch's/Ysgrammor. Now it can't.
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.