The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"Ancient Daedric motif... can be excavated as Antiquities" PLEASE STOP WITH THIS!

B0SSzombie
B0SSzombie
✭✭✭✭✭
Enough with the Antiquity Motifs! They are a nightmare!
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Concept is fine. Sourcing is TERRIBLE.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem is not with antiquity itself, but source and drop rate of leads.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't Daedra immortal and timeless, why would anything of theirs be "Ancient"
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish they'd raise drop rates of corresponding maps when farming treasure chests, eg, more blackwood maps drop from blackwood chests. that way, you could farm that zone's chests and have a better chance of getting the maps. i'm fine with the antiquities side of it.
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If this is going to be a thing with every DLC please up the drop rates!!
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • TheDarkRuler
    TheDarkRuler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in the Reach alot of time and only found like 5-6 leads for Ancient Reach style.
    The drop rates are terrible and should be buffed on ALL ancient leads.
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoronHR wrote: »
    i wish they'd raise drop rates of corresponding maps when farming treasure chests, eg, more blackwood maps drop from blackwood chests. that way, you could farm that zone's chests and have a better chance of getting the maps. i'm fine with the antiquities side of it.

This! This whole 'motifs via antiquities' has been an exercise in frustration, because the leads (especially for the Blackwood ones) almost never drop! And I've opened so many regular chests that I actually ran out of lockpicks on my main character... O.o
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a naming scheme, also don't scold ZOS the 1 #¤&/#(" time they actually manage to be consistent about something.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one hates antiquities.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't even bother collecting them. I mean, if I get one, nice, but I don't actively seek them. There are so many motifs in the game at this point it's overwhelming to be honest.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Daedra can have fads too, right?

Now I'm imagining that these are like the bellbottom jeans of Oblivion:
    9azuB.jpg
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because they made it a long, long time ago? Just because the particular Daedra that made something is still alive and kicking doesn't mean the thing can't be really, really old.

And since it's a crafting style, not a physical thing per se-- are you suggesting that a being which lives a long, long, long, long time can't go through phases where its tastes in stylistic designs change?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    essi2 wrote: »

It's a naming scheme, also don't scold ZOS the 1 #¤&/#(" time they actually manage to be consistent about something.

It's not consistent tho is it? The rest of the antiquity motifs are "ancestral"
    PS4 EU
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daedra don't have ancestors.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    Daedra don't have ancestors.

Yeah but ancient doesn't really work either and there are other ancient motifs that have nothing to do with antiquities so there's no consistency. If they're chnging it from ancestral they could've at least had it make sense.
    PS4 EU
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lillybit wrote: »
    essi2 wrote: »

It's not consistent tho is it? The rest of the antiquity motifs are "ancestral"

You are correct.. how ZOS of them, although as someone else mentioned Daedra don't have ancestors.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Lintashi
    Lintashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh, antiquity motif again. When they introduced this way of getting motifs with Markarth, there were many threads with complains about scarcity of maps and leads. So, what should be done, when people complain about something? Thats right, do it again in Blackwood. People complained again, so now we get it again same way...
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Motif style pages drop rate from antiquities system, specially on dlc zones, is atrocious.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. The whole chance at a random motif lead from a treasure map thing isn't fun or engaging, especially for codex hunters. Rare unbound motif pages are fine, but when I need the codex entry for completion anyway, it doesn't matter that I can buy the motif from someone else.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So same as before?

This makes Ancestral Akaviri/Daedric even worse than Reach. At least the Ancestral Reach maps could pop in any of the 4 WSkyrim, 2 Blackreach:Greymoor, Reach, or Blackreach:Arkthzand maps, for a total of 8.

So is Akaviri stuck with the 6 Blackwood maps? And Daedric stuck in the likely 2 we'll see in the Deadlands? Or are they both cross-honoring so both can drop from all 8, which means that when you're only missing one codex entry, you have a 1/28 chance to get the last one instead of just a 1/14...assuming you get a lead in the first place.

Please let the leads start dropping from bonus loot and/or standard treasure chests in zone, not just maps...
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As some stated it isn't the digging, it's the lead source. Linking them to treasure maps was a terrible idea. Leads for ancestral motifs should have a chance to drop from any add/boss in the zone imo.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoronHR wrote: »

This! This whole 'motifs via antiquities' has been an exercise in frustration, because the leads (especially for the Blackwood ones) almost never drop! And I've opened so many regular chests that I actually ran out of lockpicks on my main character... O.o

IIRC, it doesn't drop from normal chests at all, only from treasure chests, but the drop rate on those is still far too low.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As some stated it isn't the digging, it's the lead source. Linking them to treasure maps was a terrible idea. Leads for ancestral motifs should have a chance to drop from any add/boss in the zone imo.

I actually think having them in treasure map chests is fun and engaging. It makes it feel like a true treasure hunt with x marking the spot so get to digging.

The problem is that we have no good way to target the maps for the zones we want. Which means there are way too few maps to go around the server and trying to farm them is a total disaster.

We should have a way to focus our efforts on just that zone.

Perhaps for example Mirri's passive could have been that when she finds that hidden bag, there's a high chance that she'll find a treasure map for that zone in particular. Or perhaps they could be a common drop in the world event of a zone. Or perhaps if we got the achievement for killing the world bosses for the daily giver 30 times, we got access to an elite treasure chest for being one of their top agents that once per day gave us a guaranteed treasure map from that zone.

Anything! But give us some way to target the map we want.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on September 21, 2021 1:15AM
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ey! I'm all for "Ancient Redguard" motif if it is the original Redguard motif. I'd excavate for that for a long, long, time!
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have 2 Ancestral Reach pages so far. After how many months? Never got one for Ancestral Akaviri or whatever it is.

I agree, this is crazy. I get a lot of treasure maps but I think only 4 or 5 of the Reach ones so far. It is highly disappointing to finally get a Reach treasure map and dig it up and get no lead, though.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah this whole ancient motif system has been garbage.

i own nearly every motif in the game, except for the ancient ones because i simply cannot be bothered to deal with the terrible grind or be asked to pay the outrageous sums of gold to people that have dealt with the terrible grind.

its just an up to date retexture / re imagining of classic motifs and for some reason is the hardest to acquire cosmetics in the game? seriously?
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • Mizael
    Mizael
    ✭✭✭✭
    can't agree more, terrible rng for the maps to drop and of even getting the lead, if zos want to keep this system they need to icnrease drop rate of the maps and the lead drop rate, otherwise it's [snip]

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 21, 2021 12:28PM
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IMO is just too many layers of RNG.

Layer 1: Getting a Treasure Map to 'drop'
    Layer 2: Treasure map being for Blackwood.
    Layer 3: Treasure chest yielding a lead.
    Layer 4: Lead being for a motif page that one has not learned yet.

I gave up on Ancestral Reach and bought the last 3 missing pages, chances are the codex will remain unpopulated.

I am missing 5 pages of Ancestral Akaviri and is looking like it may go the same way at this point.

The 'pool' of Treasure Maps is so diluted that I only get one every blue moon and due to the low yield (I think I am in the region on 1:10 ratio of leads to chests) and the decreasing likelihood of getting a lead for a page I still haven't learned it doesn't make much financial sense to chase 'cheap' offerings for maps on traders.

May as well spend the time making gold and buy the missing pages. I am probably better off - in terms of gold/time invested - doing that.

Shame about the unpopulated codex entries but there is a point in this neverending endeavour of ice skating uphill that one has to just forfeit the summit, turn around and sledge down the slope.

Unless something changes and they extend the grace of 'weighed' drops to motif leads it will be the same as above for me with this new motif.
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any screenshots of this motif? I'm always interested in what the new motifs look like
    Vy • lae • ra
  • Katinas
    Katinas
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno We need someone from the DEV Team to confirm this. NOBODY, absolutely NOBODY liked the idea of motifs coming from an antiquity lead which itself comes from a treasure map which itself comes from one of dozens of possible treasure map variations. The drop rate when you add all of this is absolutely terrible and makes these motifs some of the worst grind and some of the most expensive item in the game.
    Please, while we are still in PTS cycle simply abandon this idea and give us motifs that drop as motif pages, NOT as leads with multiple drop chances multiplied to a sub one percent chance.