The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PvP help

BazOfWar
BazOfWar
✭✭✭✭
So I am primarily a PvE player who is trying to get into PvP at the moment. I have been playing mainly in no cp cyrodiil and have a few questions.

Currently I believe there is no proc sets being allowed in no cp cyrodiil and I am trying to find a build to work towards. Do I stick to and focus on a no procs build?

If I am going to give pvp a serious shot I want to eventually gold what I can out but dont want to waste my money and effort if it all changes again in a couple of weeks.

I am currently focusing on a magdk and have put together some purple gear some of which I already had and some which I bought. Is magdk a good choice for a beginner?

At the moment I have a mix of - Heavy impregnable, crafty alfiq, still working on getting domihaus shoulder and swarm mother head.

Also I enjoy working as a team in the capping of keeps and towers but I would like to be able to hold my own too if I get jumped while traveling (which seems to happen a lot) 😂

Is there somewhere i can get some reliable ideas about builds? I did look at alcast builds but he is primarily PvE and his builds seem to be kinda the same no matter which you look at.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by BazOfWar on August 26, 2021 11:16AM
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of sets are confirmed working in "no proc" which in essence is basically "no damage proc" cyrodiil.

Mag DK is phenomenal for PvP. However, it does have a bit of a learning curve / frustration period.

With malacath being active in "no proc" and the changes to medium armor no longer offering crit percentage, it is a bit of a toss up whether or not you'd benefit more from pariah, fortified brass, buffer of the swift, etc. vs impregnable.

Sets and such are very dependent on you yourself as a player as well. I could suggest my build to you, but you may not like it or be ready for it. What I CAN suggest though is some minimum stat spots to shoot for;

28k hp (with food)
    25k resists (with major buff)
    Stage 3 vampire (go for higher resists if without vamp - if playing in no proc)
    10-12k penetration (unbuffed)
    1600 mag recovery - + 1 reduce mag cost glyph (at least 1800 recovery without) (unbuffed)
    Blood thirsty jewelry is your friend - Mag DK doesn't have an execute.
    Have some form of stamina pool or recovery beyond the "helping hand" passive. Being able to roll or break free is important for survival.

These things work for me as a base line for most pvp builds. (swapping corresponding resource of course) Others may have different suggestions of course.
    Edited by Jameson18 on August 26, 2021 9:42PM
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    @moo_2021
    @Jameson18

Thank you both for the advice it is really helpful.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    pariah can push your resist to 30~35k when your HP is at execution range. It's critical to help you keep fighting in such condition instead of running + healing, caught by faster enemies and still killed in the end.

the craftable heartland conqueror doubles all weapon trait effects so you can get like +6k pen front bar and +6k resist backbar.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BazOfWar wrote: »
    So I am primarily a PvE player who is trying to get into PvP at the moment. I have been playing mainly in no cp cyrodiil and have a few questions.

Currently I believe there is no proc sets being allowed in no cp cyrodiil and I am trying to find a build to work towards. Do I stick to and focus on a no procs build?

If I am going to give pvp a serious shot I want to eventually gold what I can out but dont want to waste my money and effort if it all changes again in a couple of weeks.

I am currently focusing on a magdk and have put together some purple gear some of which I already had and some which I bought. Is magdk a good choice for a beginner?

At the moment I have a mix of - Heavy impregnable, crafty alfiq, still working on getting domihaus shoulder and swarm mother head.

Also I enjoy working as a team in the capping of keeps and towers but I would like to be able to hold my own too if I get jumped while traveling (which seems to happen a lot) 😂

Is there somewhere i can get some reliable ideas about builds? I did look at alcast builds but he is primarily PvE and his builds seem to be kinda the same no matter which you look at.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

As a MagDK, I would REALLY ask a veteran MagDK for advice. With years of training, they become powerhouse in Duel situations, but the start is rougher than with most classes.

Gear: I would use Pariah as main set, instead of impregnable. Traits are typically block cost reduction.

Training steps: People who jump on you are great for practising, since StamBlades generally don't stand a chance again a blocking and self- healing MagDK. Concentrate on surviving.

Team play: In Teams, your primary role is that of a buffer, your secondary role is to use Talons.

Solo: You basically only need 3 "offensive" skills: Fossilize, Flame Lash, and Burning Embers + Ultimate.
    The rest should be self-healing skills and buffs.
    Edited by Thraben on August 27, 2021 10:59AM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jameson18 and Thraben giving really good advice here. +1
    Edited by CSose on August 27, 2021 3:46PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagDK takes some learning in order to get good. However, if you're looking for a way to get started first thing's first, you need Burning Embers slotted at all times. I can't count the amount of times it's saved my life. Cast it on everything you can as it's basically putting your healing in a bank account you can withdraw from.

Second is you absolutely need Coagulating Blood! I personally stick it on my back bar with a Powered Restoration Staff, and I combine Coagulating Blood with Radiating Regeneration. That combo will keep you alive on the defensive when holding block.

Third is you need a powerful burst ultimate. MagDK has no execute so you need something to burst a foe down. Examples of ultimates you can use are Ferocious Leap, Shooting Star, and Dawnbreaker of Smiting. I personally love the Shooting Star + Fossilize combo, but Ferocious Leap is a really good one to that comes with a half of your health damage shield.

Fourth is you need an AoE ability and as a magDK that is Engulfing Flames!!! Pulsar works but it's far more expensive, and so does Talons if you wanna spice things up with some CC.

Fifth is a source of crowd control. Sure if you go Leap that's all well and good, but you need a real CC. Two popular options are Fossilize and Unrelenting Grip. Fossilize is the best 1v1 melee stun in the game, and it'll be your bread and butter for most of your PvP experience. Unrelenting Grip is for the large scale PvP fights and you can combo it with Talons to really lock someone down. It's greatest strength is when you pull enemy players out of a ball group into your group to get instantly devoured. Unrelenting Grip is also free to cast if they can't be pulled.

Sixth is keep your Spiked Armor up at all times. Cannot stress enough how useful it is to have damage resistance, although Hrothgar's Chill has been making the rounds recently... It's still beneficial to stack resistances since if you are not the target of the proc set the resistances will negate some of it's explosive radiating damage.

Seventh is 25k+ HP and a source of mobility. Vampire's Mistform or the Psijic Order's Race Against Time is a good back bar ability for tough situations in PvP when you need to move.

Eighth is kind of in line with the third, and it's a defensive ultimate for your back bar. Something key to your own personal survival like Magma Armor, Resto/S&B ultimate, Swarming Scion, etc. Remember that Battle Roar is not only your sustain, but a good source of healing.
    Edited by Vevvev on August 27, 2021 6:00PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Vevvev @Thraben Wow thank you very much for that detailed breakdown, I am going to give magdk a serious go in pvp (cyrodiil mainly)

Just one last question. Do you think no proc is here to stay?.

Thanks again 👍
    Edited by BazOfWar on August 28, 2021 8:18AM
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again 👍

Yes.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again 👍

At this rate and all the time gone into making it so, yes.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best advice is to join an active pvp guild in Grayhost and ask them for magdk pvp builds.

Most of the builds off the internet arent good and its hard to find players outside of Grayhost who know what they're talking about regarding builds. General advice minimum 30k health with food and 2k crit resistance using a skill that grants major resolve will stop you from getting one shot.

If you want some AD guild recommendations there are a lot of good ones who are happy to help with builds!